“Top notch staff” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 84 Hotels in Negril
England, United Kingdom
“Top notch staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

I absolutely loved this resort! Although it was filled with people it never felt busy and the chilled vibes were present everywhere you went.
There are lots of activities to do, from Jamaican cooking and rum tasting classes to archery and volleyball! But the thing that really did make the activities worthwhile were the activities staff such as Kevan, Oreyan and Melissa. The staff were particularly friendly with the teenagers and children such as myself, yet we're just as welcoming and talkative to the adults. I enjoyed being greeted at all hours of the day in such a warm manner by the activities staff and restaurant staff alike.. Even the maintenance team would greet you "good morning" and ask how you were.
The restaurants were lovely! (Consisting of 4 in total) Garfields beach restaurant was wonderful and the staff were excellent - particularly Lensworth and Neville. Definitely my favourite place to dine.
I want to also make a point of the room service, it is 24 hour and delivered quickly. It is included in the price and the food quality really is splendid! In the room, there is a menu, however, I rarely stuck to this and the staff would literally make you anything and bring it to your room promptly. Another staff members who I would like to note is Prince. He was ever so friendly and helpful and constantly interested to chat to you and service you in any way possible!
I should also point out that the Bali beds on the beach are open for anybody! We did not realise this until half way through our holiday as we thought that they had to be payed for.

Room Tip: Rooms in block 5000 are generally closer to everything. The swim up rooms are great as when it rain...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
7 Thank LAB2802

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Polish first
Omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a 10 day holiday at the Azul Sensatori Jamaica. We've stayed here before when it was the Beaches Sandy Bay and found that the changes were refreshing and very pleasant. I've read the poor reviews of this place to compare my experience, and I found that a lot of the complaints occurred when Azul first opened. Contrary to what some reviewers stated, we did not have a closet in our bathroom--I believe this was because our room was located in a newer section (not refurbished) of the resort. The room was cool, clean, quiet, and comfortable. The entire atmosphere was relaxing and low key, which was very appealing for our family. This was very nice, as we have stayed at several other resorts in Jamaica (have travelled to Jamaica many times) where there is a constant feel that the resort is one big party. At Azul I felt the clients wanted to have fun, but they wanted to do so in a more low key manner.
I was also quite pleased with the fact that when 9:00-10:00pm came around, the resort was overall QUIET. I actually could go to sleep without hearing loud music blasting throughout the property. I felt the service and the staff were excellent. They worked hard to make my experience pleasant and comfortable. With respects to the service, I was pleasantly surprised at how expeditious they were in retrieving and returning our laundry and in how attentive they were with serving our meals. I admit--I was expecting service to be run on "Jamaica time", where laundry might be picked up that day and then might be returned in 2-4 days.
The food was also very good. All of the restaurants were enjoyable, and the dining experience was was wonderful everywhere.
There were a few days where cleaning staff came late in the day (I didn't like that, as I prefer my room cleaned earlier than later--my personal preference), but the rooms were cleaned very well. Only other complaint--the bathroom sinks were bowls that sat atop of the counter. This made it a little difficult for me to use, as I am petite and had to stand up on my toes. That is a design flaw, but would not keep me from coming back. I enjoyed the smaller size of this resort and the quiet ambience. This is a place that we will return to no doubt.
I wish to recognize Omar who made my husband's birthday a wonderful and memorable one. Thank you Omar for what you did, and many thanks to Stanley (the dive master) who took the time to teach and work with my 3 children--you were all so wonderful!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Kay T
Nottinghamshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We travelled as part of a large group for a wedding and had a great week at the Sensatori Jamaica. We have stayed in all inclusive hotels on several other Caribbean Islands and would say that overall this hotel rates very highly for the beach location, all inclusive provision and hotel facilities.

Accommodation
We had a 2 bedroom apartment, block 2000 on the middle floor. It was very spacious with two bathrooms (one en-suite), and cleaned very well each day by Cheryl who very kindly aimed to service our room in the morning so it was ready for us to get out of the hot sun for a while in the afternoon. A big negative for us was that there is not a private balcony with these rooms, just a plastic table and chairs outside on the open walkway, this was not made clear in the brochure or on the websites.

Resort
Having had such a recent makeover the whole hotel/resort site is modern, clean, stylish and new! It is right on a good stretch of golden sandy beach and you can walk down quite a way, Sandals is along the beach from here. They seemed to have more seaweed in the water on their section of the beach. The sea was crystal clear and gently lapped, creating an easy sloped access. We saw rays and starfish. The beach was swept every day by hand. The transfer is a bit long but obviously you know this when you book, it dragged more for us as we were sat on the coach an hour at the airport before setting off. Part of the delay was because some folks got their own private transfer at the airport without letting the Thomson staff know so they had to keep looking for them a good while before leaving. This is fair enough but two and a half hours sat on the coach was a drain. If I returned I'd be very tempted to book a private transfer. We saw very little of the evening entertainment as it didn't start until 9.30pm and we have a young child. The dynamo style magician was great though.

All inclusive
The minibar in the room was restocked every day except for a very rainy day when no one came (couldn't fault them for that!), this had Red Stripe, Coke, Sprite, bottled water and banana chips.
There is a good choice of restaurants for the size of the hotel, covering different a la carte themes, fast food by the pool and a buffet. Also a nice coffee shop which served some food. I've noted on other reviews that the food is not five star, I'd agree that it is not on par with what would be considered five star a la carte food in the UK but for the Caribbean where so much has to be shipped or flown in, it is of a very good standard and they are probably spending a similar amount per head as at home. The portions can be small but you can order extra mains or ask for bigger portions with no problem. We were offered children's menus in Garfield's and Ackee, they are also very willing to modify or mix and match items from different dishes on the menu so we never had any trouble satisfying our young picky eater. We really recommend the jerk chicken breast in Ackee and the lunchtime Shrimps at Garfield's. We enjoyed the food overall. There is a good selection of drinks included in the all inclusive with varied cocktails, please try the Peanut Daiquiri in the Nesta bar, almost a glorious dessert in a glass! On Independence Day there was a party/BBQ around the pool deck, when we arrived there was no seating left and so we ended up going back to our room and ordering room service, this was disappointing but the chicken burrito we had with lovely guacamole and pico de gallo was very tasty.

Staff
The pulse of the resort, we found most of the staff to be brilliant, really keen to go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and treated individually. I felt sorry for the restaurant hostesses who had a long scripted welcome to say, it must be a bore for them as it is so repetitive. We tipped in US dollars and found that it was very appreciated by staff who work long days and on the whole keep smiling and being very upbeat. We heard "no problem, "talk to me" and "I'll make it happen" frequently and felt encouraged to ask for whatever we wanted without feeling difficult in anyway, which was great and made us feel spoiled. We had especially good service from; Dwight, Dwayne, Prince, Suzaine, Debbian and Christina in the bars/restaurants and Andre was great around the pool. An extra special thank you and recognition goes to Neville who was a star, so lovely every day, he made our son's last breakfast extra special by getting him his favourite food from the holiday! Above and beyond great customer service, superb!

Sun bed wars
During our stay this did vary but for half of the time it was very difficult to get sun beds around the pools (these are the only ones with umbrellas as there are still none on the beach!). Apparently reservation started from 5.30am and often there were none free by 6.30am, crazy! The adult pool area did not seem to be so bad at all and often there were beds free there but with a child we couldn't use them. Our son struggled to understand why we couldn't ask some adults without children to move to the adult area so he could have a bed to sit on. I really hope that the hotel addresses this as it was a major annoyance, to an extent we've never had before anywhere else. A system we've seen work well at a hotel elsewhere was to not allow reservation until after 9am unless you were using the beds, staff then went around before 9am removing any items used to reserve beds, folding and placing them very nicely to the side nearby with a card which reminded guests they couldn't reserve before 9am...

Pools
Lovely well maintained pools which never felt too crowded BUT often not open (due to cleaning) until between 9.30-10am, one day not until 10.10am! This felt too late on the very hot days. The pools have easy access and plenty shallow areas for little people.

Wedding
Lovely set up on the beach but the wedding gazebo is right in front of a bar and so not private at all, there was a large though pleasant audience. We found everything ran well, the food was delicious and the setting on the beach we had for the meal was romantic. Prince and his team did a superb job in looking after us and we all had a great time at the reception.

Outside the hotel
Everything we came across was priced in US dollars. We didn't do trips on land as most attractions are an hour and a half to three hours away from this hotel. We booked a sunset cruise with the guys in the sports hut and this was fantastic, would recommend. It included a great snorkelling location, caves, Rick's cafe with the option to get off the boat and further travel along the coastline. We booked Mobay for the airport and felt it was worth the money, the airport does have a good variety of food outlet chains (including Domino's, Wendy's, Moe's and Cinnabun) and places to sit anyway but Mobay was lovely and relaxed with a good choice of food and very good service from staff it also means you get through security quicker.

If you choose this hotel I feel you'll have a great time, no problem.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Mmmm_foodie
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just returned from 2 spending two weeks at the Sensatori Jamaica, and I can honestly say that I am gutted to be home. In short, this place is fantastic!

As soon as you arrive and walk through the lobby, you are hit with awesome views of the swimming pool and the beach. This hotel ranks as the best Hotel we have stayed in and most definitely has the wow factor.

Although this hotel is still relatively new and consequently has some teething problems, the views are breathtaking, staff are immense and the cleanliness and comfort are top-notch. We were fortunate to meet some brilliant people whilst we were there, and the boutique-style hotel means you are able to meet pretty much everyone whilst you are there. The staff can't do enough for you, whilst the sea is crystal clear.

I understand some of the comments on here about the food. We felt the food was nice, but wasn't up to the same standard of other Sensatori Hotels that we have stayed in. Equally, we also believe that another restaurant would be good for the Hotel, as at least two of the restaurants serve pretty much the same food.

Another downside is that the English did well to dispel the myth that Germans steal all of the sunbeds at ridiculous times - you have to be up really early to reserve a bed, and there isn't a single German in the hotel...

All-in-all, I'd recommend the Sensatori Jamaica to anyone as it is superb. It's just a shame you have to travel via Montego Bay airport to get to it...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Iain G
Isle of Anglesey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Arrival & Room

We travelled as a couple (23 & 28) and enjoyed every minute. On arrival we really got the 'wow' factor, the lobby is stunning, open plan which allows you to look straight out to the pool and sea. The resort really is stunning and decorated to a high standard. We arranged a private taxi transfer and arrived an hour and a half before the Thomsons coach.

We were taken to our room (6207 Adults' Deluxe Room) which was very luxurious. It looked out onto the adults' pool and we could see the beautiful sunset each night; although the palm trees and bar blocked the actual sun so I would ask for a higher floor next time. The only complaint I had on this holiday was that our room was not cleaned to a high standard every day and the mini bar was barely re-filled. This didn't bother us too much as we spent most of our time around the Amber Deck (pool area) which was lovely and had comfortable pillows on the sun loungers. We didn't use the other pools but they looked lovely too.

Restaurants & Bars

The buffet "Palms" was brilliant for breakfast. Fresh eggs and pancakes cooked in front of you by the lovely Hycinth. Fresh orange/apple juice brought to you by the friendly waiting staff. Our favourites were Neville and Prince. Lunch and evening meals were hit and miss in my opinion. We really enjoyed the chicken curry and Mexican meals; however, there wasn't as much choice as the Sensatori we visited last year in Side, there was much more of a variety there. One thing that put me off eating here was the amount of bones in some dishes - check before you plate up!
The 'Gala Evening' and 'Beach Party' were fun; similar food to what is served in the buffet. It is a good opportunity to socialise with other guests. You can get fresh coconuts filled with rum in the beach party which we enjoyed.

The gourmet restaurants were fantastic. Garfields was great for lunch, the salmon cakes and turkey burger were amazing. We felt there wasn't much choice on the evening menu here. Oceans lunch corner was lovely for lunch around the pool, the Jamaican patties were delicious. Ackee (Caribbean) and Di Romagna (Italian) were both of a good standard, we enjoyed eating here in these most nights. If there's something else you would like to order that's not on the menu, e.g. pizza, garlic bread, just ask and they will happily get it for you. The service was to a high standard and we never had to wait for our food, even when dining with other couples. My favourite place to eat/drink was 'Beans' the coffee shop. We enjoyed a variety of fresh smoothies, strong coffees, cookies and ice cream here. I personally visited a few times a day! Again, very good service here.

Another favourite was the 'Seven Mile Bar' where we spent most of our time with a couple we met on holiday. The men spent most of their time here and must have tried most of the spirits on offer, keeping the staff and other guests very amused in the daytime! The staff here were fantastic: Kedian, Shedrique, Howard, Christopher and Joseph just to name a few. They really made our holiday and we had so much fun there. The cocktails were delicious and very strong! I would recommend an extra dirty banana! We spent our evenings here too, before moving to the Rasta Lounge where we had lots of fun with Stashane on the decks whilst Clau and Martino kept our glassess full! Lots of memories made here.

Entertainment

The entertainment was not to the same standard as Sensatori Side; however, we recognise that it was of a different theme. We would have enjoyed more of a variety instead of singers every night; it was often the same songs by different acts which is why we usually gave the entertainment a miss. This is no reflection on the entertainment staff who were AMAZING! The men had such a laugh with Stashane and Kevan, they played volleyball twice a day which they really enjoyed. They kept us entertained around the pool; in addition to Shelley Ann who was hilarious and really good at leading the aqua aerobics.

Overall

We can't really comment on trips as we decided not to do any due to the three hour journey to get to most and me not being a very good traveller. We did the cruise to Rick's Cafe which was lovely; although we were kept waiting half an hour on a hot beach to board due to a 'last minute booking' and I personally found it dangerous getting back on to the boat after Rick's as you had to jump up from a much smaller one whilst the men dragged you by your arms. I banged my knee and foot whilst doing this which was painful and scared the living daylights out of the guests behind me, ha! Rick's was beautiful and well worth seeing, the divers were very brave! We booked the sunset cruise with the sports hut at the hotel but it was cancelled due to others cancelling at the last minute. We did go on the glass bottom boat with Robert from the sports hut who is lovely. We really enjoyed it, over an hour looking at the sights and feeding fish. We used the kayaks and sea bikes too, plenty to do here with lovely staff.

We also used the spa for a 'couples massage' which is highly recommended. It was over two hours long and we received: head massage, body scrub, wrap, moisturise, full body massage, foot massage, use of the relaxation room with hot neck towels, fondue, champagne and choice of teas as well as use of the pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. This was the highlight of my holiday, I absolutely loved it.

This was a fantastic holiday, the staff really made it for us and we already miss them! We also made some very good friends as the hotel is small and intimate; therefore you get to know most faces by the end of a two week stay. The hotel itself is stunning and set on a beautiful beach, the water is warm and you get to see tropical fish and sting rays!

Kirsty and Dylan (July 23rd - August 6th 2014)

Room Tip: Guests staying in the multigenerational section got the best view of the sunset! We loved the adults...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank KirstyDyl
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Just returned from spending 2 weeks at the Azul Sensatori Jamaica & this rates as one of the best hotels we have stayed in. Food was excellent - the hotel was kept spotless - all the staff were always polite & good to talk to (a special mention about Carlos the bellboy who always came & talked to us & to the lady at the coffee bar who got used to the afternoon time we visit her & had our drinks ready for us). The sea is like taking a warm bath. I was up after 6:30 am most mornings & on our balcony overlooking the swim up bar (room No 6206) & was entertained by the lifeguard who was cleaning the swim up pool by his lovely singing of Jamaican songs as well as more well known songs. We had minor problems with the safe in our room & also the door card key, but these problems were quickly fixed after reporting them to reception. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff. We can recommend the 2 excursions we went on - Cool Runnings - Catamaran sea trip to Dunns Fall & Southern Adventure with a Tipple - boat trip up Black River seeing many crocodiles - then on to YS Falls (spectacular water falls) - then on to the Rum Factory. Only problem with this trip are the very poor roads (pot holes after pot holes) - the driver had to drive on both sides of the road to try & avoid the pot holes & we were on the back seat being tossed all over the place. The main downside to our holiday was the horrendous wait to get through security at Montego Bay airport when we arrived - over 1 hour. Make sure you get the immigration paper you have to fill in on the flight going, stamped at security at Montego Bay airport - mine was missing 1 stamp & I was stopped from going through the final customs check after we got our suitcases & I had to go back through the airport to security & then have a row with the security person who originally dealt with us before I got a member of staff to sort my problem. For the return flight we paid 30$ each for the fast check in & the use of the airport premium lounge which was brilliant - I would recommend this.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Adult section are better. (ours was 6206 overlooking the swim up bar))
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Stephen C
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

You can read all the good bits about the hotel on the other feedback pieces posted on the website. It is idyllic and the quality of the rooms and food is excellent. All is not perfect though.....
We are staying in a 2 bedroom ocean front appartment. It was clearly described in the Thomson brochure as having a balcony. I'd describe it more of a landing that is used by other guests and hotel staff to access rooms. Putting a table and chairs on it does not make this into a balcony.
These rooms are located in block 2000 and we were told these are the only 2 bedroom rooms on the resort when we asked to move. The Thomson rep was somewhat embarrassed when we loaded up the web page to show the 2 bedroom loft suites detailed in their brochure, when pushed she admitted these existed but were fully booked. The local staff have not been able to resolve this to our satisfaction so will have to pick up with Thomson on our return. It sounds like this a known issue that has been ignored at our expense.

We were pleased to see a letter in our room on arrival detailing the sunbed reservation policy (not before 7 and staff to remove items when beds are left for 2 hours). This policy is NOT applied at all. Following a struggle to get beds after 7 on our first morning a walk at 6:30 this morning showed that all the cabanas had been reserved and the staff were actually preparing beds for people who had gone back to bed. The towel boxes are empty by 7:10. Be prepared to get up at 5, then go back to bed and turn up at 10 seems to be the general rule, unless you find another way......

This brings me onto tipping..... We were told in the official meeting that tipping is not mandatory but were advised to do it. This seems to be the way to get things done so if you thought you had bought an all inclusive holiday and not have to carry money around with you, think again.

I hope this doesn't put people off, all these are issues you can put up with, I just wish that we'd been told in advance, then we could have made different choices. Hopefully this post will allow you to ask the right questions before you get here rather than trust the Sensatori hype.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
11 Thank acwats
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at Azul Sensatori Jamaica, responded to this review, 27 January 2015
Thank you for your sharing the experiences of your visit to the Azul Sensatori , we truly appreciate your feedback however please accept our sincere apologies for the areas in which we fell short. We will be use your comment constructively to perfect our Gourmet Inclusive vacation experience