“Not For Us”

Idle Awhile The Beach
Ranked #25 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at Idle Awhile for 5 days prior to moving onto Couples Negril for 7 more days. Couples Resorts owns Idle Awhile. Couples Negril was outstanding for a romantic couple vacation, see our review.

There are numerous posivtives with this resort. We had an upstairs room, garden view. We were very pleased with the upstairs room as it provided privacy and no foot traffic alongside our room as the downstairs rooms have. The frog noise was in fact soothing and not a factor. The room was very nice with numerous hooks for clothes and wet bathing suits. The balconey was as it looks in the photographs, Very nice to relax on the large sofa and chair.

Staff were for the most part very nice at this hotel. The two beach guys, Eric and Aaron, the bartender Jenny were great. However when Jenny was away that friendly service disappeared. A special note and thank-you to the chambermaid, Veronica. What a doll.

The beach here was great. It was fun to utalize the beach vendors. By the second day the vendors new who you were and did not bother you. It was part of the fun on 7 mile beach and we did not feel overpowered by the vendors.

Now for the reason we would not return to this property. As a romantic hotel for a couple, this property missed the mark. The hotel is primarily focused on families, and families did dominate this property. Couples seem to take a back seat at this property. Idle Awhile appears to market itself as a couples romantic hideaway however romantic just does not work along side such a strong family oriented hotel. Listening to mothers yell from the restaurant to the beach and the beach out to the water at their offspring became old fast.

The restaurant was great for breakfast and lunch, however seemed to fall flat for dinner. My wife and I ordered the Mahi Mahi for dinner, very expensive at $27 each entree, and it was difficult to find the fish on the plate. We stopped ordering drinks at the bar other than beer or wine. Mixed drinks were not very strong and were difficult to taste any alcohol. This was was with consitent tipping.

The rooms should have a menu for ordering room service from the restaurant. Ice seemed very difficult to get to your room. We only found out the last day that there was an ice machine near the kitchen area. The hotel staff never informed us of this, it was another hotel guest who found the ice machine. Perhaps the hotel does not want guest helping themselves? When ordering ice from the bar or front desk they would send someone up with a plastic bag full of ice dripping all over. Ice buckets would seem like a much better system. These are just some of the oddities that made this property not a romantic couples getaway.

Idle Awhile has many positives, including a loyal following, however this property, for us, fell short of expectations. We would consider returning to Idle Awhile if we were travelling with our chidlren and grandchildren however.

4  Thank Marmy5050
There are newer reviews for Idle Awhile The Beach

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Just returned from a week stay at Idle Awhile with my spouse. We booked based on location and TA reviews. After seeing the property first hand, I can confidently say that this would be the only place on the beach we would return to (as many reviewers do again and again). We were a little apprehensive given the modest website and subjectiveness of other peoples standards, but were pleasantly surprised at how accurate both were. For such a small place (only 14 rooms), it seemed to have the most guests compared to the other beach resorts (good sign!). Most comments I have have already been posted by others, but here's my quick version....
Likes:
1. Rooms are wonderfully large. We had a large, ground floor suite right outside the bar/restaurant and therefor the beach (room 105). Living area was warmish but tolerable with ceiling fans, bedroom was kept ice cold by the a/c. Lots of closet & drawer space. Housekeeping was excellent, pretty good toiletries. The only area that looked saggy was the kitchen, but we didn't use this much.
2. Service was good. Like most places in the Caribbean, don't get in a hurry. Often only one server for the whole restaurant. Very trusting though! A few times we had to leave for an excursion, if they were too busy to settle up the bill - "No problem! I know where you're staying." Everyone was VERY friendly and accomodating. Welcome drink was appreciated!
3. I liked the daily beach chair set up. Plenty of fresh towels when needed. I normally don't like to get in the ocean, but the beaches were so nice I wished I'd brought my goggles for swimming.
4. Restaurant was great. We had breakfast here every morning. Reasonable prices.
5. Sleep quality was great. Comfortable beds with lots of covers as we kept the room quite cool. The bug/bird/frog noises were loud in the living area, but easily tolerated in the bedroom.

Dislikes:
1. Construction noise next door. We were not in the room frequently during the day, but when we were this was incredibley loud.
2. Hairdryers are not standard, but you can ask the front desk for one. Not a big deal at all, just FYI. You'll need to bring your own conditioner as well.
3. I was under the impression there would be a driver available upon request. We didn't find this to be the case. They'll call a taxi for you though. We did take advantage of the daily shuttle b/w properties one day - leaves at 10:30 for the cliffs, returns at 4:30. Some restuarants (Ivan's) will send a car for you if you make dinner reservations.

Overall we had a wonderful stay and I would recommend this place to friends traveling to Negril.

Room Tip: If it's available, request room 105. Closest one to the bar and beach.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BandN129
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I feel bad writing a review saying anything negative about this property, since it always gets glowing reviews and has tons of repeat visitors. Many people book years in advance. I would have to agree with all the positive reviews regarding the room (which was gorgeous) and the beautiful gardens. Any time we brought up an issue, the staff were very quick to remedy it. Eric and Aaron were always ready to set up loungers for us on the beach wherever we wanted, complete with umbrella. Chill Awhile restaurant/bar was a wonderful option for meals if we didn't feel like walking anywhere. They have an amazing quesadilla menu. So the property has lots going for it.

There were a few negatives that would prevent me from giving it highest marks in all categories. First, our room (#101) was noisy. There is no glass in the windows, just screens and wooden louvers. Tree frogs at night were soothing, all the people walking by the room all day and night talking and laughing not so soothing. People use the walkway as a shortcut to Best in the West jerk chicken stand across the street, and the room is also very close to the kitchen, so the kitchen staff would go by very early in the morning, waking us up before we wanted to be. Apart from the noise, there was very little privacy on our lovely patio because of the constant stream of people walking past. We had a garden view, which faces the road, so quite a bit of road noise can be heard. The day we left, construction was just gearing up for major work at the neighbouring property, Coco la Palm, and it is exceptionally close to the left side of Idle Awhile, so I think there will be a lot of construction noise for quite some time, probably several months.

We also weren't really sure how much security there was. There was one guard at the rear of the property (some of the time). We had spent a week at Negril Treehouse before we arrived at Idle Awhile, and their security was visible and excellent. You didn't get hassled at your lounger by beach vendors, because they would be shooed away by the security people. We got hassled far more at Idle Awhile. For whatever reason, all the beach musicians (there were at least 6 different solo acts and groups) would park themselves in front of our loungers and play several songs, whether anyone wanted to hear yet another version of Bob Marley's songs or not. Again, didn't happen at Treehouse.

The 6 suites are attractive to families. We were surprised by the number of children that were there. If you would prefer a more adult environment, this is not going to be the place for you.

To sum up, all the good things about Idle Awhile (and there are many good things) just didn't quite overcome the negative things to meet our expectations for a small boutique type property, for the price.

Room Tip: Possibly rooms on the second level are less noisy. At least there wouldn't be foot traffic goin...
4  Thank beadssusan
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

After some thorough and meticulous research I booked a post bar exam getaway for my fiancé and I at this gem partially based off the glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. My faith was rewarded as the stay was amazing. First off the location is fantastic. The rooms were spacious and clean. No pool but one isn't necessary withThe best beach in the world right outside your door. The service is great with some trademark Jamaican easygoing charm. The greeting is nice with a potent rum punch ready to welcome you to Paradise. The on-site restaurant Stay Awhile is delicious. The beach is gorgeous although it does have its share of pushy peddlers. Stern no thank you's typically get the job done. Overall the feeling of a quiet relaxing getaway is what this place is all about. After staying here we moved on to Rose Hall Iberostar beaches which provided the opposite end of the spectrum and needless to say we missed our time at Idle Awhile. We would definitely return!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JMcEsq
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We have been vacationing in Negril for 25 years.....and 10 years ago we bought a Timeshare at The Beachcomber Club.........After the "Adventure's" of staying there.....we finally had enough and looked for another place to stay.....after walking thru many beach resorts and looking .......we chose to stay at Idle Awhile this year.........Holy Cow......we wasted ten years staying at the BCC.........This place is the "Best" well run and managed resort we have ever stayed at........It's on the small side....only 14 rooms.....but for the 14 rooms they have 6 maids.......Need I say any more??.........LOL.........The place is spotless and very well maintained.....the Restaurant is probably one of the best on the Beach.......Unlike the other Beach Resorts you don't have to get up at 6am to go out and get a beach chair............10 am......No Problem......11 am......No Problem.........Can't say enough good things about Idle Awhile........

Room Tip: Any Room........
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kwhizz
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My daughter (14) and I just returned from a 5 day stay at Idle A While. All the reviews are accurate. The property gardens are very well maintained. We had a garden room that was spacious enough, nice comfortable bed with comfortable linens and large flat screen TV with satellite (plenty of stations to even keep my daughter entertained in the evenings before bed). On site restaurant (Chill a While) had good breakfast and dinner selection. Staff is friendly. Would definitely stay here again. Put this place in Belize and it would be a little slice of Heaven !!

Room Tip: All rooms appeared to be good, size will dictate room location
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ben8145
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This is my 4th time coming to this Idle Awhile paradise and 5th time in Negril. I imagine this is what heaven would be like -- perfect service, rooms and of course the beach, which in my opinion, is the best one out of the 7 mile stretch. The beach is like a gigantic pool with waves being so calm. Although I was a bit apprehensive for my kids wanting the pool, my 3 and 5 year olds didn't miss it a bit. As for drinks and food, must-haves are the dirty bananas at the bar, jerk chicken at the Best of the West across the road and beef patties at Mike's, next to the chicken spot. Niah's on the beach also makes excellent chicken and veggie patties but make sure you go there when he's awake. While he'll still greet you with a smile, waking him up will diminish his pattie-making-skills. As for transportation, be sure ask for Mark to be your "official" driver. He'll guide you to tours, bars and restaurants that will not disappoint! Please be sure to tell him I said, "waddup mon" You'll cultivate precious friendships with the locals that will keep bringing you back for more. While I've traveled quite a bit in my life, this place is by far the best for chillaxing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family