“Wouldn't stay anywhere else!”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #6 of 85 Hotels in Negril
“Wouldn't stay anywhere else!”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

My favourite place in the whole world! Amazing food amazing rooms amazing everything! Staff is superb they know your name off by heart by the end of your first day! Anyone who doesn't stay here is missing out HUGE! Will continue coming here everytime I go on a vacation!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank VinceMazuka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We chose Catcha for our wedding in June 2011.

Location:

We loved being able to step through the gate and wander around some of the real Jamaica. One of my favorite things was shopping at the little grocery across the street and coming back with banana porridge and Ting! There are also a few little stands offering rasta bikinis and jewelry nearby.

The view on the cliffs is gorgeous, and the beach isn't far away. Rick's Cafe didn't thrill me that much, but since it's about a 1 minute walk, you should at least go for a drink.

We did get followed around by a guy who wanted us to give him money- you definitely need to be aware of your surroundings and it probably isn't a great idea to wander around late at night on your own, but there is no reason to cower inside the gates of the resort the whole time.

Rooms:

Ours was Libra, I wouldn't choose it again- it was okay, though the porch and view were great. My mother and sister had the Star, which was much larger and cooler looking.

Pool:

The pool is nice to have, very clean, and romantic at night with the little Christmas lights wound around the bridge. I especially loved watching the sunset from the little hot tub perched right on the cliff!

Restaurant & bar:

Ivan's couldn't be more sexy, beautiful or tropical- basically it feels exactly how you want it to feel and looks exactly how you want it to look. Next time we go I'd love to see a couple of vegan options on the menu though (jerk tofu?)

Wedding:

I'm so glad we got married here instead of one of the larger resorts! The staff was really great to us, and the whole thing was very laid back (which was exactly what we wanted- no drama). They decorated the arch beautifully with flowers and didn't charge us anything extra. The minister was awesome- very sincere. We used the photographer the staff suggested (FG Photo & Video)- very reasonably priced and very conscientious- he got some great shots.

Best of all- my husband and I are vegan so we wanted a vegan wedding dinner. The chef (who was a total sweetie) chatted with us for a while and came up with this amazing spread, and the staff had even found a place we could order a delicious vegan wedding cake from in advance. They also decorated our table beautifully.

Weather:

The only caveat was the weather while we were there- unfortunately there was a tropical depression and very heavy rains that seemed they would never stop. Luckily it held off long enough for us to get married outside. We'd love to return someday for an anniversary (just not during the hurricane season this time!).

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosemarykt
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We had a fantastic, relaxing time at Catcha in March 2012!

Views: These were amazing and are completely the selling point. There is nothing like waking up in the morning, grabbing a cup of the free blue mountain coffee and sitting out watching the sun come up. There was seriously nothing better... We even saw a few dolphins a couple mornings!
Staff: Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful. I could knick pick about a thing or two, like one of the staff at breakfast seemed fairly disinterested and when we checked in there was no real explanation of where anything was; just here is your room, enjoy. Otherwise, they were all super friendly and helpful.
Room: We stayed in Star and the good parts were the veranda, outside day bed and outdoor shower which were terrific! The bad part was the bed. It was awful and I'm pretty sure the sheets haven't been replaced in years.
Restaurant: One of the nice things about staying at Catcha is that you can just rolll out of your room and go down to Ivan's for food. All the food is very good and well priced. Snapper and/or jerk chicken sandwich with coleslaw everyday for lunch! Dinner is a nicer meal, but make sure to book a good table as it was almost always full with people from outside the hotel that had come to enjoy the meal and views.
Location: If I had were to go back to Jamaica, I'd probably stay at 7-mile beach for a few nights and then head for the cliffs again. The views are the best, and it's good fun jumping into the water from the cliffs. It can get a bit rough though so aim for the morning when the sea is a bit calmer to get in. Also, there are plenty of other good restaurants to try out nearby and some local shops/eateries that you can feel comfortable walking to. I didn't notice it that much, but you will hear cars on the road and lots of dogs barking. This never kept us up in Star, but worth keeping in mind when booking.
Overall: You won't be disappointed staying at Catcha! Other places to check out though depending on price range would be The Rocks or a new hotel that seems a bit more upscale called the Spa Retreat.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jakittin
regina
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Words such as beautiful, memorable and perfect are over used; they truly are not adequate to describe this lovely place; I had booked Feb 14th with Catcha, as it was our 25th anniversary and I wanted it to be memorable for us; I had read the reviews and thought I would give them a try; we were staying on the beach in Negril anyway during that time so I thought it would be a nice little change; we have been going to Jamaica since 1997 but never stayed on the cliffs. I started by email, then eventually calling Mauvette and Angela; one look at the photos of Catcha on their website, and anyone can see that this is a very beautiful and romantic locale; but having said that, there are plenty of those in Negril, and in Jamaica. Here is what I will say. From the moment I began dealing with them by email, until the hugs we got when we left, Catchafallingstar delivers beyond measure; the staff went so far beyond my expectations that words seem somehow trite; the greeting I recieved when I secretly arrived before my wife...i have never met anyone there before that moment...but from the security at the gate to the girls tidying up...they welcomed me with open arms; Mauvette and Angela quarterbacked every detail....our room was adorned with beautiful roses, and the bed covered with red and white flowers..the towels arranged in hearts and birds...both Mauvette and Angela met me when I came in, and treated me like I was an old friend...and genuinely, not superficially. Everyone on the grounds seemed to know it was our anniversary...there is an intimacy that is hard to describe. Our evening dinner in the best table on the cliffs....again, beyond words...the meal...the service...again...beyond exceptional. We were treated warmly by everyone. The views, the grounds, and the staff...all combine for an unforgettable experience. If you are planning a special evening....feel secure in the fact that they will get it right. We will remember this special evening for the rest of our lives. Thank you so much. And yes....the Jerk Chicken Penne is that good.

Room Tip: just get there...anywhere.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jck1963Regina
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We just arrived back to Ohio from two weeks at Catcha! What an amazing relaxing two weeks. The weather was perfect, the cottage immaculate, the food excellent and the people were like family. It is very easy to get spoiled when you stay at Catcha and very hard to get back in the "real world!"

Room Tip: Susan has taken great care in making each and every apartment or cottage special!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Farmer2012
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here last year and just loved every single thing about this place! The driver is great, the staff were excellent, and the food was to die for!! This place is absolutely beautiful!! We are going back to negril in 27 days(yes the countdown lol) and Catcha was booked when we started planning. So as soon as we get back will will be booking for next years trip. Hate to stay anywhere else but will be visiting them for dinner!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shinnyboo
Garner, Iowa
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed at Catcha Falling Star for 3 nights in Jan. 2012. We stayed in 2BR cottage "Star". Lovely, clean accomodations. Loved the large veranda and double sized day bed. The out door shower is a very pleasant, unique feature. There is also a full bathroom in side. Kitchen stocked with plenty of utensils and a large refrigerator. Ivan's restaurant has an excellent menu. One of the couples traveling with us (5 couples in all) were newlyweds. The staff at Catcha put together a very fine table setting for us on the last evening we were there. Drinks from the bar were plentiful and not over priced. It's handy to just leave your name and room to run a tab for the duration of the stay. Sea access and pool very refreshing. Enjoyed watching the boats and cliff divers at Rick's Cafe next door from the comfort of our seats at Catcha. Other couples stayed in "Moon" which is similar to "Star", and in one of the 1BR cottages. (Gemini 1). Had a massage with "Oya" and one of her colleagues. Staff at Catcha arranged this prior to our arrival. Snorkling was only fair along this area of the cliffs. Better in other areas and out on the reef near the beach. Also, better to snorkle on a calm day, unless you are a strong swimmer. The only draw back we felt on the stay was that the property has no area where a larger group of people (6-10) can gather to lay on lounge chairs. Though the property was nearly full, we never felt crowded. We booked our stay with Negril One Stop. (www.negrilonestop.com) I also recommend their service. Always pleasant and prompt to work with. Bob & Susan even stopped by to say "hello". Highly recommend Catcha Falling Star. Very safe, relaxing spot on Negril's West End.

Room Tip: If you want a cottage on the cliffs, book very early. "Star" & "Moon" are t...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends