“Wonderful place to stay on the cliffs!”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 5 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at Catcha for six nights and seven days on our honeymoon in late October/early November. We found Catcha online when looking at places to stay in Negril. Having never been to Negril or even to Jamaica, we were unsure what we would find at a place like this on the cliffs. We were both extremely pleased with the quality of service, the beauty of the gardens and the cliffs, the food at Ivan's and the sunsets.

We had a rough idea of what activities we wanted to participate in, and each morning or the day before, we'd let Mauvette or one of the other front desk staff know what we were thinking. They'd give us advice on the best places to go, but weren't pushy about booking certain locations/agencies as I have found at some hotels like this one. They arranged trips to the blue hole, seaside couples massages, and would always have a driver arranged whenever we asked.

The staff knew us by name after a couple of days and were very attentive when we were coming and going from the property or dining at Ivan's for a delicious breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The lifeguard (I don't remember his name) was fabulous, letting us borrow the snorkel gear and getting in the water and showing us around- picking up conch shells, urchins, and starfish for us to hold and look at.

My husband also planned a surprise for me on the last night of our stay, and the staff was wonderful in helping him pull it off. We had booked Pisces for the entire stay, and on the last full day we were there, he faked losing the key to our cabin, going to the front desk, and realizing that we had only booked five nights instead of six. Mauvette informed me that she would have to look for an extra room somewhere else on the property or perhaps at a neighboring resort. She made a few phone calls, looking worried, and then led us from the front desk down the path toward Sagittarius- it was at this point that I knew something was up :) She walked us in and gave me a big hug and a "happy honeymoon!" with a smile- she was perfect in helping him with this sneaky surprise. Although Pisces was nice, with it's own little outdoor shower and patio, Sagittarius was truly wonderful- very private, right on the water (I could hear the waves from the bed with the windows open) and a huge two-person outdoor shower with a window overlooking the sea. It was fantastic. The staff also served us a private champagne dinner on the patio of Sagittarius for our final night.

I would absolutely recommend staying here, and if we ever make it back to Negril, I have no doubt that we will make Catcha our home away from home!

-The only other note I would make is that Pisces is right by the gate, so it was noisy at night sometimes with people coming and going, dogs barking, etc. I brought earplugs after having read this in previous reviews, and that did the trick, but it is something to be aware of!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank S H
There are newer reviews for Catcha Falling Star

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in the Libra room at the end of December. This was not our first time to Negril, but this time was the best. The property is beautiful, the room/view was unreal, but what stood out the most to us this trip was the staff.
We have stayed at 3 different properties on the beach and while they were nice as well, none of them can compare to Catcha as far as staff. They were all top notch and I want to recognize Carol at Ivans and Bradley, Kevin and Richie at the bar. To me, how I am treated as a guest is most important, and Catcha staff is great.
I highly recomend Catcha Falling Star and Libra cottage. We liked Libra because it was close enough but also just far enough away from the action.
We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cawolf
Reviewed 4 January 2014

It is impossible to articulate how magical Catcha is and how it captures your soul. It is the essence of Negril. It's beauty is captivating and the staff get into your heart. I have learned so much about Jamaica's wonderful people and culture during my many stays with Catcha. On top of all that the resort has everything you could want.......great food, good music, comfortable accomadations with rustic charm. The beautiful views are inherent with being on the cliffs but, what has been cultivated is the warmth of every staff member. Their wonderful smiles and warmth are priceless. I love my Catcha family! Speacil people in a special place.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank SShelton
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I spent 4 nights at Catcha in late December 2013. It was a fantastic experience. I stayed at the Sky Cottage and the room was huge and the balcony and view were incredible. The staff at Catcha (and Ivan's) are top notch, the premises are gorgeous and groomed daily and the rooms are kept spotless. The Sky cottage has a gorgeous, vaulted ceiling. I ate at Ivan's daily and enjoyed every meal (especially the Bamboo chicken skewers and the Jerk Chicken Penne Pasta).The resort has dozens of loungers strategically placed around the cliffs and it's heavenly to sit in a lounger, read a book and have a cold Red Stripe while listening to the waves crash against the cliffs. The only two downsides to my stay were not Catcha's fault, but are important to note. Part of the ambiance of the place is the wonderful balconies and patios-- however, on two nights there were rude guests who stayed on their balconies to the wee morning hours, laughing and talking very loudly. Given how close the balconies are to one another, you have to hope that you are there with others who respect those around them. The second note I'll make is that if you are traveling solo (like I was) the vast majority of the visitors are couples. It didn't bother me, since I was there for peace and relaxation, but if you're looking for a party atmosphere or are hoping to make friends with others, this might not be the place for you. As I said, these are not faults of the resort-- they're simply things to consider. My overall experience was fantastic and with the two small caveats above, I would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: There are a variety of options at Catcha, so I'd take a close look at their website and read rev...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MavMaiden
Reviewed 1 January 2014

From check in to departure it was amazing,,
Was there for one night ,was given a free upgrade apon check in ,,thought that was amazing,,
The room was beautiful and had everything you could need from microwave , a/c , tv, ipod docking station,, veiling fans ,,the most breath taking view,,
Eating at Ivan's was a joy...Food was delicious ,,from breakfast eggs and bacon ,,lunch 2 BLT's it was so good,,dinner,, pineapple chicken,,,,mouth watering!!!!
ground were well kept and quiet,, beautiful flowers every where,,,
Staff was great,,I could ramble on about them ,,but you get my point,,,
Swimming off the cliffs was a blast,,,,
I go to Ivan's every time I'm in Negril....Great food ,service and view,,,

Room Tip: any room at this resort is beautiful in his own way..
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2013

This is truly a unique place. My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago for our honeymoon and my only regret is not staying here the entire time - we stayed at Sunset at the Palms all-inclusive across from the beach for a few days too. Negril is not the type of place where you need to stay in an all-inclusive. It's very safe and there are plenty of restaurants and you can buy food from grocery/corner stores. This is a unique experience and cannot recommend it enough. I did not have one complaint whatsoever and will be going back next year.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 28 December 2013

My wife turned a lemon into "lemonade". Now that I have your attention I'll continue.. we originally booked a hotel on 7-Mile Beach (Negril). Well the "lemon thing" is all about we weren't "living the dream" on the beach, we felt like "walking wallets" and the hotel we booked didn't quite match the web site's description. We changed rooms twice with hours of our arrival with the last room having no hot water and croaking crickets!

The next morning, after a few calls we landed on The Cliffs at Catcha Falling Star resort. Our vacation was transformed upon arrival; not only was the resort charming and well maintained but the staff most helpful and happy. We changed rooms 3 times due to our last minute booking but each change proved to be more enchanting than the last and a welcome adventure with each room having its own character and view of the ocean. Their restaurant; Ivan's serves breakfast, lunch & dinner offering both Jamaican and continental cuisine. We can truly share that "Catch Falling Star" resort is a small piece of paradise on a large island with multiple choices... we would return here again & again....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Kerry M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 80 in Negril
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!