“Not all that great....”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #5 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 8 February 2010

I really hesitated to write this review. There are some wonderful things about Catcha. The place is beautiful, the people (especially Andrea, Juliana and Kevin) are lovely. That said, our experience was not that great, although I have to say it was not all the fault of the Catcha staff.
To start, Catcha does allow children. I did not think children were allowed there, boy was I wrong. We had a very disturbing cliffs experience right after we arrived and this soured a lot of our visit. The problem in our case was not the child, but his father who couldn't handle the constant curiousity of his 6 or 7 year old and the little kid's desire to run all over the property, thus making it a miserable experience for them both.
Within our first hour or so we had the extremely unpleasant experience of hearing this man freak out on his kid - I'd like to think the slapping sounds we heard were clapping noises, but that was not all - he was telling him how he ruined the vacation for everyone, that he was a horrible kid, and other vitrolic ranting, it was really nasty. And loud - the screaming rant could be heard all over the property.
I certainly hope no-one has to repeat our experience, I just say think twice before you take your kids on the cliffs - it may not be the kids that end up being the problem.
Then let's talk about the room. We had Gemini I. The room itself is cozy, the bed very, very comfortable and plenty big enough for a couple and we had a couple of large suitcases. The bathroom is wonderful, except that every day our toilet backed up. Again - Catcha's fault? Not really, but the stench of pooh every day and having to walk across the property to go the the bathroom in the morning - kind of like camping, not something I like to do anymore.
Towels were a nightmare. there were NEVER any towels in the morning (7am, 8 am, 9 am, noon). For the first several days I turned my towels in as I think all people should - beach towels were available twice during our entire stay - once when we arrived and then around 5 pm on our last evening. None in the place you pick them up all day on the other days. I ended up using room towels one day 3, then kept our towels and let them dry on our balcony on our last night. Because I asked the front desk several times I got yelled at by the maid for asking about towels. I mean loud voice - yelling! This was a Catcha problem. They need to destress their maid service.
However, we then had a great experience with the maids so it was kind of crazy. Because of our issues, they moved us into one of the nicer units for the last night. The Star 2 bedroom upstairs. This was really sweet of them and they moved us lock, stock and barrel. However, something in the stain they use on new furniture makes me stop breathing and feel like I'm having a heart attack. So, I slept on the bed in the living room instead of with my DH the last night.
On our last day we got ripped off by a taxi driver recommended by the front desk. We wanted to get a route taxi to the beach. They go - "here's David, he will take you (and he had route taxi plates)". I said - we only want a route taxi to the beach, not a private charter. Then on the way down I chatted about how we loved taking route taxis. When we arrived at the beach I merrily skipped off to get a chair and left my husband with David. He got mean. My husband ended up paying $1000J just to get rid of him. Very unpleasant ending to our trip - DON'T USE DAVID IF THEY RECOMMEND HIM, NASTY GUY WHO WILL RIP YOU OFF!!!!! Another poster talked about a $10 charge to return from Rockhouse. It's less than a mile away, if you pay $10 you are probably being ripped off.

Our best experiences were at the restaurant and bar. The coffee in the morning and breakfast delivery were great. The food at Ivan's was the best meal we had the whole trip and again, the service and people at Ivan's were great. We loved Ben, the dog, and had brought him treats.

Overall, Catcha is obviously not our cup of tea. Unfortunately, after 4 visits to Negril I doubt we'll be back anytime soon after our most recent experience. We go on vacation to relax, not stress about toilets, towels, getting ripped off by cab drivers, yelled at by the maids or having kids beat in our vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
32  Thank jodi_123
There are newer reviews for Catcha Falling Star

Reviewed 24 January 2010

LOVED this place, no complaints at all. Food was great, staff were wonderful, scenery is lovely. Many quiet places to relax and watch the ocean.

2  Thank linkyOntario_Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2010

Stayed 4 nights at Catcha in Star cottage. Loved the placed. Great location on the cliffs. Great grounds, cliff jumping options (of various heights) and a great swimming cove and snorkel area around the perimeter of Catcha's cliffs. The atmosphere is very laid back and relaxed. With only 17 rooms, the property never feels crowded and it's intimate enough where it's easy to chat with the few guests that are staying there. Just a great venue and relaxing place - so different from the bigger, all-inclusives. If you're looking to lay-low, enjoy beautiful scenery and amazing views and sunsets - this place is for you. The only complaint I have is that the pool is very small and was cold during our stay. We never went in despite the fact that it's new and was never really used - just too cold.

The food at Ivan's is very good and very reasonable in price. The wait staff there is very good as well. Loved Carol - one of the waitstaff - she was genuine and sweet and made our stay excellent. Had a great massage from Angela who works at Sunscape Resorts in Negril. Another guest at Catcha whom we met called the resort, asked for her, and asked if she could come to Catcha to do massages in our rooms. Angela comes with her portable massage table and does a great job for a reasonable price (we paid $40 US per hour massage, plus a $10 tip - that's about half of what most resorts charge).

The cottages are rustic, beautiful woods and roomy (Star has an awesome wrap-around porch with wonderful ocean views), but the bathroom/shower and bedrooms are very basic so set your expectations accordingly. Wi-fi was available in Star and worked flawlessly. There's a laptop available at the bar for anyone to use at their leisure to check email, etc.

Rick's is a very short walk, as is LTU, a restaurant and bar favored by the locals which has good food. A small grocery mart and a currency exchange place are both a 5 minute walk away. Otherwise, you need to take a taxi to most other places - fares range from $5 each way (to 3 Dives and Push Cart) to $10 (return trip from Rockhouse, the restaurant will pick you up enroute to the restaurant for free), to $15 for the most eastern parts of Negril's seven-mile beach.

Great place for adults. Not so great for kids, as the surf can be rough and there's really no shallow areas to swim.

6  Thank Scott99
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I have been traveing to Negril for 25 years, and to Catcha Falling Star for at least 10. I used to just be one our favorite places to go, now, it is our ONE FAVORITE place to go. We just spent 6 of the most relaxing days of our life at this wonderful resort. Our first night was spent in the "little gatehouse" cottage, as that was the only room available. The room is cute, outdoor shower and patio great, and just perfect for us for our first night there. We moved to the main house on day two and spent the rest of the week in Leo. We have tried all the rooms in the main house, and I think Leo is definetely the quietest and the coolest. We were blessed with cool temps and low humidity on this trip. The seas were a little rough, but having the new pool available, was what makes this resort, the "best in the west". The pool came out much better than anyone could have imagined, and the owners did not spare any expense in it's design, location, or functionality. For those of us that are sometimes afraid to go into the sea, the new pool is the answer. The landscaping has grown up and the place is lush and beautiful. The staff are like family to us. Big Up's to Susan, Andrea, Mauvette, Nan, Oz, Sharon, Richard, Nicolette, Jackie, Ben the Dog, and everyone else at Catcha that makes it the magical place that it continues to be. The owners and staff of this wonderful resort know how to take care of their guests and it's the reason that we keep coming back and have already booked our next trip. Catcha A Falling Star, a true hidden Gem, and home away from home.

6  Thank aikoberger
Reviewed 10 January 2010

Probably my favorite hotel I have ever stayed at. Friendly staff, delicious food, amazing view. I will always stay there if I go to Jamaica again. I can't imagine finding a better place.

Stayed: April 2009
1  Thank brookenw
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Catcha Falling Star in Negril was simply breathtaking. The ocean waters and the spectacular hotel grounds were almost surreal. Simplicity is the key to Catcha's success. The have realized that the simplest pleasures, florals, furnishings, views and good old fashioned courtesy and kindness make for a spectacular vacation resort. It was everything we could have ever wanted for our honeymoon. My husband and I did not want the commercial experience of a large "closed-off" resort. We preferred beautifully decorated private cottages nestled on the spectacular cliffs of Negril.

The weather was ideal and even when the a storm blew by the staff was always close at hand to make sure everyone was comfortable, safe and secure. We have taken some wonderful photos which we would like to share and short of continuing to brag about Catcha's splendor, we will let the pictures speak for themselves.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank drstorm
Reviewed 2 January 2010

First, let me say that everything this resort represented itself to be, was true. The staff, esp. Mauvette & Andrea were exceptional. The resort looked even better in person than in the photos. If I can only give four stars to Catcha, it was because the things I found to be lacking, were a result of us misjudging how much we would miss, what was just not a part of this experience. We knew that getting into the sea was going to be a bit dicey but didn't realize how much that would mean to us. I can't imagine being there without the new pool which was beautiful and, in our case, a lifesaver. Our weather was perfect and HOT and it would have been a real problem for us if the only way to cool off was to go into the abyss :) We stayed in the Sun suite which was exactly as portrayed. We would have liked a real stove top as opposed to the hot plate provided--not that we do much cooking but we like to make breakfast in the mornings. We had asked in advance if they could lend us a blender, which is not a standard piece of equipment and there was a brand new one when we arrived. We would have liked to be able to make ice and not have to go to the bar to get it a few times a day. If you are expecting high thread counts, nice (any) toiletries or anything luxurious, this might not be the place for you. Linen, in general, seemed to be a big deal and it seemed difficult for the staff to get us extra bath towels and there were rarely any towels to put on the sunning beds. We ate dinner at Ivan's literally every night of our stay and it was always great although we were tiring of the selection a bit. After venturing off the resort grounds once or twice, we decided to stay at Catcha. It was no biggie but we thought some items were a bit expensive. I also want to point out that everyone we spoke with, had either been there before and raved about their feelings for this place, swearing lifelong loyalty and the newbies seemed to be in heaven. As long as you are not the anal, spoiled, demanding travelers that we are, you will absolutely love Catcha Falling Star. It is a beautiful, genuine, Jamaican experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank coxy29a
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Sunset at the Palms
Sunset at the Palms
#6 of 80 in Negril
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Catcha Falling Star? Share your experiences!