“A great place - you won't regret it”

Catcha Falling Star
Ranked #6 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Egg Harbor Twp., NJ
“A great place - you won't regret it”
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We are just back from a week's stay in Negril. We decided to split our trip between the cliffs and the beach this time, and picked Catcha Falling Star for our cliff stay.
From the minute we walked in, we knew we would love it. The girls in the office were outstanding, Mauvette helping with anything we needed. It was great seeing her smiling face and just stopping to say hi! She went out of her way to help with anything we needed.
The resort itself is beautiful. A small place, with plenty of privacy. We stayed in Venus, wow! The room had a bedroom, with a very comfortable bed and plenty of space. Two rooms in the bathroom, living room and full kitchen. The porch had table and chairs, and a couch which I loved to lounge on in the mornings with my coffee and book and look out at the most specacular view. Every morning they offered free coffee from about 6 am, which was great for me an early riser.
The bar area was fun, led by Kevin the bartender. A great guy who made outstanding drinks!! Rum punch, Pina coladas, yummy! Always had a few people there to talk to and have fun with. Also, you can have your meals brought to your room to enjoy on your patio if you would like.
The pool area was nice. Plenty of spots to sun and relax. There are loungers in different areas, some on the cliffs so you could even have some privacy if you wanted while relaxing. My only complaint was that if you were not there early in the morning, guest liked to claim their chairs with towels, even if they didn't show up until four hours later! They had a hot tub that was not working while we were there, but when it is, it would probably be nice in the evenings.
The grounds are beautiful, and taken well cared of. I had heard that TS Nicole had destroyed alot of the flowers, but they must have worked very hard, because it was very nice.
The staff was outstanding. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful, big hellos when you walked by.
We had a few meals there, which were all very good. Ivan's does have some very good food.
We were in the newer building, but the cottages looked very nice, I may pick one of them next time.
I didn't go into the sea, it was very rough the few days we were there, but they had floats tied off, and it looked like alot of fun and the access looked very easy to get in.
Ben, the resident dog was a sweatheart!! He liked to escort us around when we came down from our room.
There are quite a few places close to eat at and drink if you want to explore. Seastar was only a few minute walk outside the gate, Alice's across the street for breakfast, a jerk chicken stand directly across from Catcha was also very goodl (Leroy?)
We walked down to Erica's one night for dinner, for outstanding lobster, give it a try!
Also, very close to Rick's, but why go there, we had the same sunset at Catcha with great people!! Be careful walking, it can be a little tricky at times!
Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at Catcha, and definately will be back. Thanks to everyone for a wonderful stay! If you want relaxation, with party spots very close, give it a try - you will not regret it!!

2 Thank mamade11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 3 February 2011

We stayed in the Aries, a one bedroom suite with living room, kitchenette, and balcony overlooking the Atlantic. The only thing that could have been better was the water pressure in the bathroom sinks. When you have to dig that far down for something to gripe about, it is a perfect vacation. The room was clean and well cared for.

The staff was cordial and polite. We never wanted for anything.

The food is prepared on site and the best we had. We also ate at Rick's, Jam Can and Margaritaville.

There is a cliff wall between the resort and the Atlantic, and my friends and I had a thrilling time jumping off.

1 Thank jeronimo479
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed 28 January 2011

My wife and I spent the week after Christmas and had as great an experience as any of our Caribbean vacations. The Negril cliffs are stunning. We stayed in the Venus suite and had a superb view of the Caribbean and the nightly sunsets. The suite is large and the balcony is a great place to relax. The staff is wonderful. The restaurant is the best in Negril.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jceby2002
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 January 2011

If you're reading this you probably saw the ratings and wondered how real these are, and you're trying to find the worst review to see how bad this place can be. Let me just say, even the most complimentary review ever written would not do this place justice. From the very first email the entire staff was extremely gracious and helped us plan out what we consider the best wedding ever. EVER.

Andrea is the accommodations manager, and Barbara is the food manager. Andrea did more of the day to day arrangements for our wedding, and provided us with a list of vendors, options, pricing, etc... everything you want they can provide... to a certain extent, of course. My wife and I are pretty flexible, so when it came to the details, we told Andrea what we would like, expecting it to be close enough for what we desired. For the year leading up to our wedding, we probably exchanged a few emails a month (expect them to take about a week or two to respond) in planning the details of the wedding. Here is the detailed billing:

(pricing is in US and per person)
-Hors D’oeuvres – $16 (3 sets of 3 items per person)
-Dinner – $55 (main entree and 2 sides – buffet or sit-down is available)
-Minister - $335
-Bouquet - $150
-Table Arrangements - $45/table
-Folding Chairs - $184 total for 32 chairs and their transport to and from the resort
-Archway - $200 (we didn’t use an arch but two gatherings of bamboo sticks with a large cluster of flowers around the top)
-Jamaican Wedding Cake – $265
-Reggae Band - $290/hour
-Champagne/Sparkling White Wine – complimentary (and they kept the refills coming)

Pricing for the rooms can be found on the website, but the average menu option for breakfast was around US$10, lunch about the same, and dinner ranged from US$15-35, depending. The drinks are about the same as anywhere… about US$6-12/apiece, and they are your standard tropical type drinks. You can either pay as you go, or bill everything to your room and pay at the end of your stay. All pricing is listed in US on the menu, and each check is presented in US and Jamaican, they accept either. They can also process credit, but be aware that your bank may charge you small fees for using their card overseas. By the way… the food is amazing, and while we don’t have a basis for comparison, everyone else – including local American ex-pats – said that the food here was the best among the resorts. For cheaper beer and alcohol there is a small grocer about 30 yards from the resort. They have a limited range of local goods, spices, wines, spirits, and Red Stripe to serve your needs.

Travel to and from the resort was a breeze as they asked for our arrival time and had Wayne, the Catcha-exclusive taxi driver, drive us from the airport to the hotel for about US$25/person. The drive in reality only takes about 1.5 hours, but on the way to the hotel he stops twice for “the coldest beer in all of Jamaica” (and it’s true). The beers are US$3/each.

Once we arrived at the resort – we knew we had made the right choice. The setting is beautiful and cut off from the crazy Jamaican road just beyond the wall of the resort. The staff was quick to greet us and set us up in our rooms, and very helpful in giving us the quick tour of the place, which doesn’t take very long because it isn’t very big. We stayed in the hotel the first 2 nights, and our room was a large one bedroom with a beautiful view of the ocean, large kitchen and living room, large bathroom, and nice sized bedroom with an armoire and dresser – ceiling fans and AC as well. The balcony was a great place to relax, but we spent the majority of our time with friends down at the bar and jumping off the 30-foot cliffs into the crystal-clear water. The jump is daunting, but well worth the rush while in mid-fall you have time to brace for impact, realize you still have a while to drop, gasp, freak out, and then brace for impact again just before you hit the water. The water was beautiful, warm, and calm for the first 3 days, but then turned choppy for the last 4, so I’m not sure which one was the anomaly. We saw no signs of jellyfish or sharks and were in the water everyday, but there were small fish along the bottom (about 20 feet down), and even a school of fish that swam right by my wife and I along the surface on the last day… pretty cool.

The last 5 nights we stayed in the Sagittarius – the master of all cottages. There is a large wrap-around deck with a hammock, a small patio with lounge chairs to view your own private sunset, an outdoor and indoor shower, a comfortable bed, dressers and armoires, AC, floor fan, and a refrigerator. It’s nestled right up on the cliffs with a beautiful view of the water so the lapping of the waves can put you to sleep at night (if the rum punch doesn’t do the job for you).

Ben the Catcha dog is furry and friendly (particularly if you have food, although he is not overbearing or begging for it). Sometime he would just take a break from the sun under my chair and keep us company while we ate. There is also a Catcha pool, but it’s more for just taking a dip than anything else.

The bar and wait staff are the BEST we have ever come across in any walk of life. Extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful, they do whatever they can to make you feel welcome. Suffice it to say that by the end of our stay, some of the staff were coming back after work to hang out with us at the bar, and we are now all friends on Facebook, haha. Make sure to catch Kevin and Ty singing into the hand (you’ll see what I mean!) to their favorite reggae songs in the evenings, you don’t want to miss it! Bring the party, and the staff will party with you. If you just want to relax, they’re more than willing to accommodate you too.

While my wife and I are pretty laid back, we still had some concerns about the wedding going off without a hitch, but sure enough, Andrea and Barbara did everything needed to make sure this was the best experience of our lives. The ceremony took place in front of the hotel with onlookers watching from their balconies (pretty cool to be the main show), and right in front of the cliffs. The Reverend Campbell was our minister and obviously very passionate about what he does. I can’t quite describe it, but the inflection, tone, and volume he used somehow made the words even more meaningful. As for the dinner, the food was delicious, the service phenomenal, and the setting gorgeous. There was a covered area with more than enough room to serve dinner for 16, as well as allow the band room to play at the far end. My guess it was probably big enough to seat about 35-45 total, depending on table arrangements. Afterwards we all moved to the bar area where the party really got started (perhaps including the bride and groom doing a small, tasteful strip tease on the bar, haha). They also have a wide array of bar music that they play, mostly reggae.

By the end of our stay we were extremely sad to leave our beautiful view, clear water, and warm air, let alone our brand new crew of Catcha best friends. This is by far the best kept secret of Jamaica, which is why we were hesitant to tell all of you about it in this review. We’re warning you, however, that the minute you leave you’ll already be planning your next trip back… Within 2 weeks of being home we have already booked next year’s vacation at Catcha.

9 Thank Woodro911
Ottawa
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Catcha Falling Star is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! I've travelled alot and decided to go to Jamaica with a couple of friends for a funeral. They made the reservations because they always stay at this place (their favorite...now I know what all the fuss is about!). We stayed from Dec 31st 2010 to Jan 5th 2011. I couldn't stop saying: WOW! We stayed in STAR and it was great. I felt confortable and relaxed right away. The staff was always happy to help and even went out of their way to do so. The location is to die for....the photos do not describe the beauty of this place. Catcha Falling Star is just the right size...not too big, not too small. It's right next doorto the famous Rick's Café. You have the choice of renting little cottages or little appartments. Both are absolutely fabulous and have their own plus. The only thing that wasn't so great was that some nights, when we stayed in STAR, we could really hear the dogs barking from accross the street. BUT the mattresses are posrtCatcha Falling Star has a very exotic vibe. You can jump of cliffs and snorkle all around. I tested the local restaurants (Push Cart, Xtabi, etc..) and I must say that the food at Catcha is top quality for the price. At night, people gather at the bar. We had alot of fun sipping delicious drinks and talking with the staff. Tye, Carol and Karen were especially great! I have to mention that when Catcha Falling Star is full...they usually have space at Catcha Garden (other side of the road). We stayed there a couple of nights. It was great and we could cross the road and hang-out at Catcha Falling Star anytime. I will go back to this place for sure...it was the best. THANK YOU! :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Isabelle1982
New York
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Let me first start by apologizing to everyone at Catcha; because its taken me way too long to write this review. My now fiance and I visited Catcha on December 13th and was only supposed to stay 2 nights. Guess what, our 2 nights turned into 3, and it would have been more if they weren't booked.

Catcha is absolutely amazingly beautiful, peaceful and so relaxing that it's truly hard to leave. The sunsets and scenery are breathtaking and the sound of the ocen is priceless. I can't find a word worthy enough to describe the staff. Much love to Mauvette who has been extremely pleasant from the moment I booked on the phone to our entire stay. I honestly believe that she's "Catcha's Sunshine". Ordia down by the restaurant who always knew what we wanted and Ms. Angie, thank you so much for making our stay very comfortable. They are all truly wonderful and are like family. The housekeeping team in amazing and you can expect some of the many flowers that are around the immaculate grounds.

We plan on getting married there this December and they have been extremely helpful and patient with me, because i'm a pest.

Catcha Falling Star is THE place to stay. The food is Culinary Perfection!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StephanieNYNewYork
Philomath, Oregon
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My wife and her family stayed recently at the Catcha Falling Star hotel on the west end of Negril in Jamaica. We stayed previously for our honeymoon at the Rock House and Tensing Pen hotels, which are right down the street. Catcha by far had the best service and staff. The hotel is smaller so the staff knows who you are, personally. This makes for an experience like no other.

The cliffs are so fun to jump off of and the lounging area in the cove is very relaxing. There are also plenty of private and not so private sun bathing areas.

The restaurant was also superb and had some of the best food on the west end.

The bar was so fun, people were always there and always willing to strike up a conversation. This includes Kevin and Ty the hilarious Jamaican bartenders. All the other staff was so friendly (Vivviane, Carol, Ordia, Susan, and more) and I can't wait to go back and see them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family