“Beautiful property, great service, quiet getaway”
Review of Westender Inn

Westender Inn
Ranked #35 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This place was serene. Had wonderful food. Great drivers. Great staff. Not a complaint about the place.

I'd suggest to them that they get better wifi. It was annoying to keep entering the codes that sometimes worked. But it was free. Just easier to have instant wifi.

The place is beautiful. No beach there, but access to water. It's a small rocky cliff.

The Rooms are so nice. The restaurant is very good. I really really liked it.

It is located 20 minutes from town, but that's not a bad thing. There's no one there to ask you for money or to sell you pot unsolicited. No one walking up and ruining your serenity. And they have a driver that will take you to town whenever you want for $7. And the drivers were so great. Gave us cards to call whenever we wanted them to come back. And the drivers gave great recommendations for food and beach areas and excursions.

Beautiful place overall.

Room Tip: All the rooms look out on the ocean. I was kinda jealous of the upstairs rooms. That's all I...
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Westender Inn

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We stayed at the Westender in May 2011 for a week. Although May is technically the rainy season for Jamaica, we had 7 days of the most perfect weather we've ever seen in the Caribbean. We primarily chose it because of the great reviews on TripAdvisor, and its location in Negril. The Westender is a boutique-type property with about 20 rooms. We had the Almond Suite, which could not have been nicer. The staff is completely accommodating - Keith, the manager, and everyone at the Westender went out of their way to make our stay perfect. There's no need to rent a car. For a small fee, the hotel van will drop you off and pick you up. Nelson picked us up at the Montego Bay airport about 2 hours away from Negril. He is entertaining and very helpful with "anything" you might want to buy en route to the hotel. I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of his knowledge of local folks and culture - time spent with him and other friendly Jamaicans was really the best part of our trip. When you look at the Westender website, you might not be overly impressed, but I can tell you that the pictures don't do the place justice. It's like a small resort, quaint and quiet. Most days we had lunch at the hotel - a very leisurely affair because everything is made to order. The conch fritters and fried chicken were great. The hotel has its own small, private beach, which makes for a beautiful view. We had the beach chairs to ourselves every day. Negril restaurants are varied, and overall very reasonable. Make sure not to miss Sweet Spice and Three Dives. The latter is very dumpy, but terrific food and even better views of the sunset. Make sure to get patties at the local bakeries. The best part about the Westender is that it's as exciting or as quiet as you want it to be. Negril nightlife is just a van-ride away, but you'll get pure relaxation at the hotel. One caution: stay away from the craft villages that may be suggested to you - it's not worth the relentless hassle you get from the numerous vendors. I know they're just trying to make a living, but each stand literally sells exactly the same merchandise.

We felt very safe during our stay - there were never any issues whatsoever. We had Nelson take us on a day trip to Mayfield Falls. It was just beautiful and very fun, thanks to our guide at the Falls, Sean. Be sure to ask for him if you go - he patiently and skillfully guided us through the many rock pools leading to the waterfall, sharing his knowledge of local flora and fauna all along the way, keeping our camera dry and snapping some pretty good shots of us in the water!

Although Negril seems a bit off the tourist path, don't worry if you forget to bring something along - the local supermarkets and pharmacies are easy to reach by hotel van and well stocked. The coffee and hot sauces from the supermarkets make great inexpensive souvenirs - both were half the price of the duty free shops.

I liked the Westender and Negril so much that next summer I'll be bringing a group of 25 there. I can't wait to return. We met the owner, an American from Maryland, during our visit. He said he's always looking to improve the property. From the work that was going on during our stay (the construction crew worked around our schedule so as not to disturb us!), I expect to see some nice changes when I visit next year.

2  Thank KronicTraveler
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I had a wonderful time at the Westender, they made me and my family feel at home! I cannot wait to come back next year. So peaceful and relaxing!

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank EbonyW
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This is my 6th time travelling to Negril and the last 3 times have I've stayed at the Westender. My family and friends truly enjoy the staff, the atmosphere, and the serenity that the Westender provides. We will continue to make the Westender our home away from home when we are visting beautiful Jamaica. I would highly recommend the Westender Inn to anyone travelling to Negril.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kimjerzi25
Reviewed 28 June 2011

As the Westender Inn's motto states, it is, "The Perfect Place to Set the Sun!" The staff is exceptional, the food was delicious, and the room was clean! This is a great place to relax and enjoy JA away from all of the hustle and bustle of Long Bay, Negril.
Working in the industry, I am well aware of how hotel staff should treat their guests, and let me tell you, the employees at the Westender exceeded my standard: friendly, helpful, extremely accommodating, and down right awesome people. If you are in the area: STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jojobean1234
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Where should I begin? Well from the minute my boyfriend and I landed in Montego Bay and we were promptly greeted by Nelson, we knew we had made the right choice to come to Jamaica again. To start the trip, Nelson told us it would take about an hour and half to get to the hotel but we would make some stops along the way and we would enjoy the trip. Nelson is extremely knowledgeable about all things Jamaica, he showed us the 17th century ship that is sticking out of the ocean on the beach, showed us the 18th century churches and all the history that Jamaica has to offer. Once we arrived to the Westender Inn, we knew we had made the right choice by booking the hotel. Even though it was raining, we were promptly greeted by Gary, the awesome operations manager at the hotel. He made sure we had a nice ride with Nelson and checked us in very quickly. He showed us to our room (#9) and brought us the microwave and fridge we had requested right away, he also brought our luggage, so we could go get comfortable in the room after the long trip. The next day we awoke to sun and were able to get a look around the grounds, which are on the cliffs and with a little man made beach. The whole thing is very off the map, but you are missing no luxuries here. We met Jermaine, the awesome driver who took us to the Hi Lo so we could stock up our fridge. That day was very special for us, Kemar(spelling?) made us reservations at Ivan's at Catcha Fallin Star hotel for a amazing table to watch the sunset. That night my boyfriend proposed to me under the cliffs bar at the hotel, a coupld of minutes later Kemar and Keith (security) came out with a sky lantern that the hotel had written a little message of Congratulations on and good wishes. Kemar and Keith lit the lantern and we all watched as it went out to sea, I had never seen one of these before and it was really cool. The next day we met Dan (the owner) and Keith (manager), along with Ivy (the property dog), Ricky, Kaniesha(spelling?), Karen, Tanisha, Mr. Wright, and the amazing front desk staffer Carla. Every single person we came in contact with (even if they were hired to just do construction around the grounds) were so friendly and always asking us how we were and if we were having a great time. I couldn't have aksed for more from this trip and from the Westender Inn, if you are looking to relax, have some amazing fresh seafood from Westies, and meet people who you will think of family even after you leave, then don't look any longer and come to the Westender Inn. Peace and Tranquility will greet you here, along with a taste of the real Jamaica, and how friendly the people who live here are. I can't thank everyone enough for everything they did for our engagement vacation and how much we really enjoyed getting to know everyone personally during our stay, I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: The Almond Suite is amazing.
2  Thank WaywardWander9
Reviewed 31 May 2011

When you look at a road map of Negril, you'll see that the road ends right near RIck's Cafe. Keep going a few miles, past the cows and goats and you will arrive at Westender Inn and never want to turn back!

The staff is AMAZING! There was nothing they wouldn't do to make our stay more comfortable, including lending us their own cell phones!

Let's remember, this is Jamaica and you are by the cliffs, so insects happen. Remember to bring repellent. With seclusion comes bugs. A small price to pay!

On the hotel side, there is a private beach, beautiful landscaping and sea pool filled fresh from the ocean. Sit under almond, mango and nesberry trees and watch the sun melt into the ocean. Across the street is the pool and restaurant. The food is to die for!! I highly recommend the Snapper Run Down - a house specialty. You can't get a bad meal here! After dinner, the sweet dog that lives on property will walk you across the street and say good night.

If you are looking for an all-inclusive, activity filled resort - this is not the place for you. However, if you are looking for a private, relaxing get away then it doesn't get much better than this!

Remember: Town is a pretty decent ride away, so bring plenty of cash and give with your heart!!

Room Tip: Email the manager, Keith for best pricing!
1  Thank TheMoores513