Westender Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Cliff Hotel(Negril)
The Caves(Negril)
View Hotel
All reviewssea poolalmond suitehotel shuttlecrashing wavessalt water poolwest endshuttle serviceocean sidedowntown negrilackee and saltfishbeautiful propertythe entire staffseven mile beachlaid backreal jamaicathe cliffrelaxing vacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Love this Place!! This was my 5th time. It's secluded so if you want beachfront and noise this is not the place. New management is making great improvements.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2009

I was very disappointed with the Westender Inn. I expected good things after reading the reviews here, and perhaps my expectations were way off, but I can't say that I enjoyed spending time here or would recommend staying here. There are several reasons for this review: 1) the location is very far away from everything else in Negril. If you stay here, I would strongly recommend you rent a car. My fiance and I rented one, and that was one of the best decisions we made during this trip. It's a good 20 minute ride from the hotel to the beach, and a good ten minute drive to other restaurants. Taxis are not common this far from the rest of the establishments. 2) My fiance and i were drawn to the cliffs for their beauty and to experience the more isolated side of Negril. The Westender is technically on the cliffs, but it's so far down the cliffs that you don't get the beautiful coves with the breathtaking drops and craggy scenery that you do at other establishments down the road (such as Rockhouse, Xtabi or Catcha Falling Star) Instead the "cliffs" at this location are about 6 feet of the ocean, making them an awkward height between cliffs and beach. 3) You can't really swim here. The water is too rough and at this location the waves crash into the rocks at a pretty high speed. We asked the staff about this and they informed us that it was rarely calm enough to swim this far west on the cliffs. 4) The food at the restaurant was not that good, and it was overpriced. We enjoyed much better food at jerk chicken stands down the street and at other hotels. In addition, the food at the Westender was at least as expensive, if not more so, than the other meals we enjoyed.

On the positive side, I can say that you get a very unique view of the sunsets from this angle. There is a part of the shoreline at the Westeneder that juts out and as a result the sunsets can be gorgeous. Over all though, I felt like our stay was not worth it. My fiance and I almost switched hotels on our first night. We were tired after travelling to get there, so we didn't, but in retrospect I wish we had.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Charsn
Westender_Inn, Manager at Westender Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2009

Thank you for the feedback. We cannot change our location but we will use your comments to improve areas where we can.

We are sorry to hear your stay at the Westender Inn did not meet your expectation. We would have been disappointed to see you go to another property but we would understand if you did. In fact, we work with other properties on the beach/cliffs and we have moved guest who preferred locations closer to the beach or high cliffs.

I do want to point out that we have a shuttle bus on property and swimming/snorkeling is excellent at the Westender Inn but it is dependent on time of day and or season.

Thanks again for the feedback and we hope you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed 4 August 2009

We have been meaning to write to you to thank you for a wonderful vacation. While the thank you is belated the feelings Beth and I have for Jamaica and for all of you at the Westender Inn are very strong. The past year has been very stressful for both of us (job stress as usual!), but in our all too short stay you were able to relieve us of all of that and return our humanity to us! We arrived in Jamaica as stressed out American zombies, and left Jamaica as happy human beings. Thanks.

--Richard and Beth Greene

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FellowTraveler05
Reviewed 5 July 2009

This place is so nice and peaceful. Our room was right next to the ocean, and it was wonderful to sit out on our porch every night listening to the waves. When the water is calm, the snorkeling is fabulous. The food in their restaurant, Westies, is really great. Ask for their scrambled eggs "Richie style" - cooked with green peppers, tomatoes and onions. Yum! The bar area is very beautiful, and Kemar's pina coladas are fantastic, but his friendly smile is even bettah! Kareen (cahr-in) kept our room spotless every day. She is so sweet and a very hard worker, and we quickly became friends. Every time we needed to go some place, Richie took us. If he wasn't available, they quickly found another ride for us. We were made to feel at home right away, and we cried when we had to leave. It was so wonderful, we'll be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I knew I wanted seclusion-and the reason I picked Negril was just for that. Even from a distance (Charlotte, NC) Negril seemed like the perfect Jamaican get-away. Not too far out, on the coast-but not engulfed in the kitschy, sad, tourist offerings that make many other Caribbean towns indistinguishable. The Westender Inn was also more my speed-we wanted privacy-but not isolation-and found it there. From the time we met Faith, the sweet front desk receptionist, to the time we said goodbye to Ritchie, our reliable and sensible driver, we always felt we were in capable hands. When we first got there, we went straight to the little sandy beach above the cliffs. While this beach doesn’t touch the water, it is partially shaded by a sea grape tree and lovers can be assured reasonable privacy should they want to remove an item or two of clothing in order to fill in those pesky tan lines…The grounds are divided by a small road (virtually no traffic), so the pool and restaurant is on the opposite side from the majority of the rooms. Walk across to find Kamar, the ever smiling/singing bartender and at any given time the long-timers (a few Americans have booked monthly rooms) chatting at the tables. Walk up the stairs leading up from the dining area to find the terrace pool with a lush view of undeveloped mountainside-oh and don’t forget to grab a couple of mangoes from the tree on your way up to swim.

The rooms are clean and locally furnished-local art and plenty of closet space. Balconies all have hammocks and are constructed out of thick white concrete-perfect for drying the bathing suits. Keith, the manager, goes out of his way to accommodate guests-whether powering generators in the event of a “current” black out, or driving guests to town if the cook has to step away for the evening.

Also be sure to check out Jackie's on the Reef Spa and Holistic Center right next door. If nothing else-DO NOT MISS at least one breakfast there on the water with sweet cappuccino, local fresh fruit and whole grain waffles. Make a point to tour the facility-everyone there is happy to show you what Jackie has to offer-also check out the multitude of magazine write ups Jackie has collected and posted on the wall-even Oprah is rumored to have stayed here!

Westender Inn is magical-and yes, it is the Perfect Place to Set the Sun. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple