“So here's the deal....”

Ranked #36 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Bethesda, Maryland
“So here's the deal....”
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Using descriptions like ' friendly attentive service',' breathtaking view's,' delicious local cuisine',' charming rooms with really comfortable beds', 'clean accommodations' seems so trite. But I cant describe the Westender Inn any other way. It is wonderful! And it gets better. The location~ it's biggest asset. The drive from the airport takes you past things like the waterpark and horse stables where you can do day trips. Then you pass all those big resorts that are populated with all the folks you see at the beach. Keep driving south and down the island and you arrive at the west end of the island at the inn. This place is truly a paradise. It is the place where I want to be on vacation. Got on 'island time' the minute I put my bags in my room and never looked back. If you are the type that wants to get away from the beach crowd, this is your spot. You can venture out to see sights on the island or like me, you can spend 5 days at the Westender Inn and never leave. I cant wait to come back with my teenagers.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank entoto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
New York
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My four night stay at the Westender Inn in October could not have been a better experience. Keith is a thoughtful host and I felt so welcome and being a single traveler I was taken into the Westender community like family. Everything was exactly what I had looked for - a relaxing atmosphere, beautiful and natural scenery, peace, and quiet. If you're not keen on spending your time in Jamaica in a closed off, manicured resort but want a more real experience, then the Westender Inn is your place. My room was on the small side but it had a nice dressing area and I didn't mind at all - I had a patio with a hammock and great views. I saw one of the suites, which was absolutely beautiful and very spacious. I also really liked that there is easy beach access and that you don't have to jump off the cliffs to get into the ocean. I went swimming the first day and it was wonderful. Unfortunately after a half day or rain and wind the ocean remained too choppy to go in but I still enjoyed my time on the beach. I saw some posts about the location and want to point out that yes, it's a little remote but I liked that part. You didn't have to deal with too many people and I felt absolutely safe. Many friends had warned me about traveling by myself but all their concerns were unfounded and I think it had to to with the Westender's location. I attended a wedding at a resort, which is a 5-minute drive away, and it was easy to get back and forth. The Westender Inn staff was always happy to give a ride and it was just not an issue to get anywhere. The restaurant on premises is a fun place to hang out and meet locals and Ben is a sweetie who after one day knew exactly how I like my breakfast. I highly recommend Jackie's on the Reef next door - had a wonderful massage right on the beach, which was arranged by the staff at the Westender Inn. I also highly recommend the Westender Inn and hope to be able to return one day.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Bettina131
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We're no strangers to Negril, but we spent a week at the Westender for the first time recently & I can say without a doubt that as long as I have a say in the matter, we'll never stay anywhere else in Negril. Skeptics beware: It's all true. All the wonderful reviews are warranted... no embellishment whatsoever. It was a wonderful experience from start to finish. I imagine it wouldn't be the best bet for someone looking to be in the thick of partying & stuff, but perfect if you're looking for a quiet getaway.
First off, I can't say enough about Keith & his staff: Gary, Kemar, Natty, Karen, everybody... From the first phone conversation regarding prices & booking to the day we drove through the gates for the last time, everyone was very polite, very helpful & treated us wonderfully. You'll feel like family in no time. If you're a stickler for good service like I am, you'll be in for a treat. You can't help but love this place & everyone who works here.
There was a small mix-up with our room initially (my bad... completely avoidable if I had remembered to confirm booking) but thanks to Keith & his staff... who were apologetic even though it wasn't their fault... it was a non-issue. Rather than have us wait around, they even put us in a room for the interim so we could wait in comfort for the few minutes it took till our preferred suite was ready. It was the same all week: someone was always on hand with a smile, happy to help out, strike up a conversation, help you get in the room after you'd accidentally locked yourself out (oops!), or just make sure you were having a good time. You could tell they genuinely cared about whether or not we enjoyed our stay, which was refreshing for us.
As for the hotel itself, we loved everything about the Westender: the secluded location, the impeccably cared for grounds, spotlessly clean rooms, amazing views & scenery... and even though it's very private & secluded, it's still within comfortable driving distance of all the recreation Negril has to offer. Perfect for the person who wants the option to do as much, or as little as possible, IMO. With all the wonderful scenery we never did much to be honest, except for trying to soak it all in. The coastline, the gardens, the views, the water, the wildlife (we saw too saw dolphins on a few occasions, as well as birds, lizards & the ubiquitous hermit crabs)... it was just spectacular. The food was great (I personally recommend the brown stewed chicken) and they even offered to take our food or drink to us wherever we preferred to have it. Keith was even kind enough to treat us to dinner (and some damn good Tequila) on one occasion.
We ended up leaving just as Tropical Storm Nicole was starting to throw a tantrum, but were still very sad to leave it all even though the weather was turning foul. It would take a lot more than that to put a damper on our amazing experience. It was truly awesome, & we'll definitely be back soon.

3 Thank alikat_y2k3
Bellingham, Washington
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We spent our honeymoon at the Westender in September and had the most amazing time! The amazing room, view, staff, and food really made our trip a paradise we will never forget. The staff are wonderful and extremely helpful - you will know them all by name! We stayed in the Almond Suite and enjoyed waking up to the peaceful waves outside of our veranda, ordered delicious breakfast and Jamaican coffee from the restaurant, and then snorkeled on site. We did some adventures around town, but also stayed put in our own little corner of the world - we loved every minute of it! The Westender offers seclusion, beauty and an authentic experience of Jamaican culture.
-Justin and Kristina Shepherd (married Sept. 5th, 2010).

1 Thank KTinaShep
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2010

The place is heaven. There really isn't much more to say. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

2 Thank OceanMistress
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2010

I had not been back to Jamacia for 25 years.After three children and a marraige i thought it was time, Thank God i choose The Westender.From the time i was picked up at the airport by a driver specially selected by the manager Keith and given a detailed tour along the way i had already felt that i had not been away from Jamacia as long as i had.

Keith and his fantastic staff make you comfortable and at ease as soon as you arrive at the Westender.The rooms, the view, the peacefulness of the property are not to be topped.The best way to experience the beauty of Negril, Jamacia is not from behind the walls of some all-inc hotel in the heart of the city but from a short ride away in the beautiful hills and untouched coastline surrounding the Westender.The feeling you get from the carefully picked and trained staff to the extended stay residents as well as the beloved dog make you so comfortable that leaving is difficult but going back will be like coming home...of which i plan to do at least once a year till the sunsets stop setting.Thanks Keith and your staff as well.

Don't leave the Westender off your Bucket List!!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Keithtwo
Negril, Jamaica
Reviewed 28 August 2010

My first trip to Negril was in the very early seventies. I have never selected to travel to another island. When asked my reasons I simply say I found my paradise --why look any farther? Back in the day, there were no public phones ( no phones period in Negril I think). One took a trip to Savannah Lamar if one needed one and stood in a long line, much like going t o the Scotia Bank ATM nowadays. My first stay was at Crystal Waters Resort on the beach. The white sandy beach,, by the way stretched seven and one half miles then as it does today. But, you could shoot a cannon down it and hit no one. Man! That was a glorious sight to see and claim ownership of for hours at a time. One or two rum bars poured the Appeleton and played the new rage raggae music on the radio. I think there was one place that might qualify as a restaurant on the beach. Chicken Lavish was the spot off the beach for real food. And, there was Ricks and the Lighthouse.
I returned over the years and have experienced many accomodations. These include my dear friends wonderful internationally known spa "Jackies On the Riff!" Jackie is next door and provides the guests here with a place to get a bevy of health treatments like the greatest massages and scrubs and yoga lessons. She and Dan Brewer who created and owns this INN have hung out here for over twenty five years providing class, creativity and confort to many world travelers.

I decided after spending two months here to rent one of the pristine cottages on the property here for a year. I am an author who recently retired from NYU and NYC to complete my third work. My intentions since my first trip to Jamaica have been to return here for my third phase of life. I am here and I want to tell you in brief here The Westender Inn at times, I think, has been created for me and others like me who want the best of the Caribbean off the beaten paths where the air is clear, the poinsettas are perpetually bloomingand the sunsets and sun rises are colossal. The people who run the place like Keith Dunhany the genera lmanager and Dan Brewer the owner and their staffs are incredible, the food is home cooked, the swimming pool backs up the salty sea pools and the Sea Herself. I am sure I have left out something like the music is great, the access to Negril and the hill communities is easy. This is a charmed place nestled here on the West End of Negril.
There is so much more I could say,but I think you get the picture. Oh Yes! For those like myself, who are challenged by physical problems THE INN is wheel chair, cane and walker accessible;it is so landscaped that the visually challenged will be free to move about with ease and comfort. And, the price is right so you can come on down and stay awhile as I am doing. It is truly as its motto says is" The place to come and set the sun." You will leave this INN thinking "soon come back to this jewel tucked away fron,but near the action of Negrils' strip.

Nettie Jones