“I had to see it for myself!”
Review of Westender Inn

Westender Inn
Ranked #28 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Moorestown, New Jersey
“I had to see it for myself!”
Reviewed 28 February 2011

My wife and I stayed at The Westender from February 13-19. Like so many others, we were drawn here because of all the fabulous reviews on Tripadvisor. I never reviewed any other hotel with a 100% favorable rating, so I had to see it for myself. Last year we stayed on 7 mile beach, so this year we wanted to see the other side of Negril. We absolutely love the casual vibe of Negril, along with the people, food and scenery.

I am happy to report that Westender is everything they say it is, and more. It truely is one of the best places we ever stayed, and not because it is some over the top fabulous resort. In fact, we loved it for the opposite reason. It is as casual, laid back and friendly as Negril itself. It is not at all pretentious. You really do feel like you've made new friends, both staff and guests, when you stay there. It is secluded, which is sometimes a plus and sometimes a minus depending on your mood. The good news is you can always go to town or the beach when you want to, because they will take you there. It really is the best of both worlds. I think that this would be the perfect place for people that go to all inclusives because they feel safe there. I have never felt safer than I did at Westender. But, as so many others have said before, the best part is the people. You feel more like you are staying with family than at some impersonal resort. Everyone knows your name, and you know theirs. One night they even let me make my own Martini at the bar. Where else can you find that?! The views are great, the food was great, and it was the most comfortable bed I ever slept on in Negril, which isn't really known for comfortable beds.

I almost wanted to write a bad review so that we could be sure to keep this treasure to ourselves, but that just wouldn't be fair. I will just have to hope that there will be room available when we want to return, because we will return! Thanks to everyone at Westender for making us feel so special. Hi to Stephanie and Garth as well. We hope the rest of your stay went well, and that you returned to Vancouver safely.

3 Thank stevelucia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Indy
Reviewed 28 February 2011

After reading other reviews, one might think that this place is perfect. Not true, in fact, we had perhaps too high expectations from reading tripadvisor. And then we were a little disappointed at some of the things that were not perfect, such as: I sent 3 emails with specific questions during the month before our trip, and not one reply came back.......no coffee pot in the room, and I have that addiction......they forgot our refrigerator request.......not ready at airport to pick us up as promised when we arrived.....the restaurant onsight is only OK. Ok, that's where the negatives end. The positives: they got us a refrigerator asap......they brought over a small coffee maker and filters for us for the week.....and get this--the reason they weren't at the airport was that another family needing picked up refused to wait 30 minutes for us, so the Westender calls Winston--WHO IS ATTENDING A FUNERAL--and he leaves the funeral to come get us at the airport, so we only wait 10-15 minutes--who does that?! Thanks Winston!

Note, if you like constant busy busy commercialized action, then do not stay here. This hotel is way out west, a few miles from the main part of town, not in walking distance to restuarants or that awesome 7 mile beach. But that turns in to a positive. If you want not-commercialized, peaceful, away from it all, then this is perfection. The view is amazing, a nice, small, rocky shore with waves crashing constantly, and spectactular sunsets every night. I think we took more pictures than any of our previous vacations during our time at the Westender. And yes, the staff overall is wonderful. I think first we must mention Jermaine---polite, friendly, helpful, funny, caring, just an overall great person, willing to do anything for you. Either double his pay or rename the location "The Jermaine Inn". Also wonderful were Kamar, Tamesha, Karin, and Gary.

The roads and the drivers in Negril are........well, somewhat dangerous--lack of any sidewalks, lots of curves, etc. Because of this, we decided not to rent a car. The Westender has an inexpensive shuttle service that leaves on the hour, every hour, 9am thru 8pm. They'll take you anywhere. You can call when you want to be picked up, or prearrange a time and place (i.e. "Pick us up at Margarittaville at 4:30pm please").

So in my opinion, the reason that the Westender DESERVES the number one rating on tripadvisor is this: One--the staff is amazingly friendly (I almost forgot, they helped me plan a surprise for my wife Melissa Ann and me for our 5 year wedding anniversary--dessert by candlelight on top of the roof, under the stars---for no charge---amazing!) Two--the location and view is A+/Wow/Postcard-worthy. And three--because of their shuttle service, you can choose to be as busy or as relaxed as you want! Stay at the Inn all day and enjoy the waves, sun, read a book, etc........or get shuttled into town for the beach, the market, the nice restaurants, lots and lots to do, and they'll help set up special tours if you want. Of course every vacationer is different, some will want mostly relaxation, others will want more busy excitement into town. So every day we had a plan, for example, "Let's go check out the market today for an hour and then walk the 7-mile beach, and then come back "home" at 330pm and relax the rest of the day at the Westender". We were spoiled there, you will be, too.

A final note: Great restaurants nearby: Rockhouse, Ivan's, 3 Dives Jerk Centre, Just Natural, and Sweet Spice.

1 Thank melmar-47
Moray, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed at the Westender at the same time as John & Suzi from Canada (see their review) and I remember Suzi saying, on their first morning, that she wanted to stay forever! I can relate to that!

We booked for the all 'right reasons', ie. away from the hustle and bustle of the hundreds of AI guests who have to share the same patch of golden sand on the popular 7 Mile beach. The Westender's patch of sand is, I would guess, the only one locally due to the rocky coastline of Negril's westend and it is exclusive to residents. It is small but beautifully formed - and is cleaned every day. The Inn's grounds are immaculate too.

We booked 5 months in advance for a good rate and Keith, the manager, allocated room 14 to us. It had a wonderful balcony overlooking the sea, from which we could watch the sun rise and set every day and watch and listen to the waves crashing on to the beach and rocks below. We had self catering facilities and had breakfast and light evening meals on the balcony which, after a long day in the sun, was the ideal place to cool off and indulge in a rum punch (or 2!) at sunset. We shopped in the supermarket in Negril where Jermaine (the hotel driver) helped us the first time. He pointed us in the right direction for the best mixer for a rum punch (amongst other things) and protected us from the inevitable locals outside who tried to sell us money, gifts etc. It was great to have someone to show us the ropes - and not just at the supermarket.

We hired a car for the last 4 days of our 10 day stay and managed to explore more off the beaten track. Not for the faint hearted in places but the 4x4 we had was the ultimate vehicle to tackle the pot holed roads and protect us from the local drivers! (Jermaine excluded, of course!).

We tried a small number of Negril's hundreds of restaurants for lunch. Our favourite was Sweet Spice in the centre of town - not attached to a hotel - and used mainly by the locals. A dish to try there is the fish (Snapper) in a coconut curry sauce. Also, their Sweet Spice Special smoothie. They even allowed us to watch a European 6 Nations rugby union match on their TV!

Our only dinner out was at the Rockhouse Hotel about 10 minutes from the Westender. The food was excellent and the place was really buzzing, but we couldn't wait to get back to the peace and quiet of our balcony at the Westender. Interestingly, the manager at the Rockhouse said that she just had to find out what it was that Keith was doing to maintain the Westender's top spot in Negril on Trip Advisor! You have to try it to know!

The Westender team clearly want to maintain/improve their service to visitors but it is hard to make suggestions other than to keep rooms/bathrooms up to a high standard and most importantly, to keep a hold of all their wonderful staff, who appear as one big, happy family. There is one other member of the team that deserves a mention and that is Ivy, the Westender dog. We were up every morning just after sunrise for a walk - and Ivy came too!

The Westender does "exactly what it says on the tin" and we have to say that everything there simply works for those who want to enjoy an intimate, quiet and peaceful 'getaway' in the sun - and we would love to return.

2 Thank patandandy
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Let me just start off by saying that we did indeed enjoy our stay at the Westender Inn. I echo all the comments made by others that Keith and their staff are exceptional. They are helpful and friendly in the most genuine way.

The Westender Inn is great for someone who want to get away from it all. But is is out of the way and secluded from all the other resorts and restaurants in Negril. We ended up taking the shuttle service at least once a day, if not two or three times, to enjoy the rest of what Negril has to offer.

The Inn is very comfortable, but a bit dated. Don't expect any bells and whistles. It is very quiet, and waking up to the waves crashing against the cliffs is nirvana. On the flip side, there is no hustle and bustle here.

The guests seem to be made up of two distinct sets of people, return guests that seem to be loyal 60's hippies who regard the Inn as their home away from home, and a new generation of guests who all seem to be there because of TripAdvisor's rating of the Inn. The former set seems to regard the later set with some derision.

All in all it's a wonderful Inn if what you are looking for is peace and quiet. If you want to experience all of Negril however, I would suggest a place closer to town.

Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2011

My girlfriend and I found The Westender via their #1 rating on tripadvisor. We were torn between an All Inclusive and Westender's cozy, secluded property.

So we stayed at Holiday Inn Sunspree in Montego Bay for three days for the AI experience. And then we travelled to Negril for our adventure at Westender for Jan 30-Feb 3.

While Holiday Inn Sunspree was nice and comfortable and the AI is always a good option, we found The Westender to be the most relaxing part of our trip and experience in Jamaica.

Like almost everyone who filed a review on tripadvisor, the best aspect of Westender is the service you receive from the team working there.

Westender arranged the travel from Montego Bay to Negril and sent Nelson to pick us up. He was very knowledgable and provided much information on the 2-hour ride. Nelson ended up taking us once in Negril and then back to the airport. Nice guy... and a great introduction to Westender.

Once we arrived, we were personally greeted by Keith and met the staff over the balance of the day. The sound of the ocean crashing against the reef was awesome. The private beach and sunning areas allowed you to just relax. We did not miss the business and nightlife of core Negril... and it's just a short trip with their shuttle into town.

Thanks goes out to everyone on the team at Westender. I know I'll miss some names and I apologize for that.

Dan the owner was there for our store and provided great tips and stories. He has accomplished much in his ownership of almost 30 years with this property. Our first night there, we did not have any snacks or extra food and he was kind enough to lend us some munchies from his personal supply -Thanks!

Keith is a professional leader and developed the property and team very well. We enjoyed dealing with him and he was a great host.

Gary is the assistant GM and runs the operations side of things. He got our hammock and fridge together. He had many tips and advice to offer on where to go and what to do. He steered us towards Rockhouse Hotel for dinner - great place to go! With my iphone charger on the fritz, he solved that by lending me his charger. Friendly and skilled, he's a great asset!

Nadine, Kumar and Kanesha helped us out at the bar and restaurant. Jermaine took us back and forth on the shuttle. The housekeeping and grounds crew were all smiles. Thanks to all of you for making our vacation so memorable.

At a property like this, you also make some great friends in the guests who stay there. Each and every one was approachable and it was great to meet people from Canada and the U.S. who loved their time there as much as we did.

In short, this is a great place to stay at and learn about what Jamaica and its people have to offer. Trust the reviews... and come stay a while here. Our only complaint was leaving and perhaps we should have stayed all seven days here. Suzi & I feel like we have a home in Negril to return to and will definitely return to enjoy again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Keith and his staff were just amazing. Every request was met with "no problem mon". Nothing was too much for Gary, Jermaine, Nadine and Chris who were all super nice and friendly. We had a great room with fantastic view and beautiful verandah with its own hammock. Just a few short steps down to the beach and our favorite lounge chairs overlooking the sea water pool. We were right next to the bar where we shared a few red stripes and rum punches with the other guests who were all very friendly. Breakfast was excellent but service could be a little slow but no worries mon! If you want a quiet relaxing vacation, this is the place. You can always get a ride to Seven Mile Beach and restaurants in the evening if you want the crowds but the Westender is always good to come home to. We must stay longer next time.

NY
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Wow! Where do I start??
My husband and I have travelled all over the world, but never to Jamaica.
Negril was recommended by friends of ours, and my hotel search began!
Since I always research using tripadvisor, I figured the #1 hotel for Negril had to be amazing!
Well, I am so glad I listened to fellow travelers!
The Westender Inn exceeded our expectations!
From the minute we arrived at the airport, our hotel transfer, Nelson, was awaiting us.
He was so cordial and gave us a wonderful tour of the area from Montego Bay to Negril.
We arrived at the Westender, and were warmly welcomed by Keith and his staff.
Our room was ready (we had the honeymoon ocean suite) and we headed to it!
Simple, clean, quiet and quaint...it met our expectations. Oh, and I can't forget the hammock, which my husband didn't want to leave!
As for the grounds: luscious gardens, spectacular ocean views and beautiful cliffs.
Also, great tiki bar! One night we had a bonfire, with lanterns, great reggae music and homemade jerk chicken! Thanks again!
Staff were always available to take you anywhere your heart desired. We went out to dinner one night at the Rockhouse (which was great) and went to 7 mile beach twice. We felt very safe and we were pleased that the staff was so hospitable.
We ate most meals at the restaurant. Everyone catered to what we would like...you ask for it, they would make it. We asked for fish sandwiches twice. Our wishes were accommodated, and the sandwiches were very good! We also had breakfast there each morning and had the snapper run-down one night! Excellent!
Also, don't forget to go over to Jackie's next door for a massage. My husband and I both did and it was extremely relaxing! They also make homemade fruit smoothies...you must try!
We are planning on returning with a few more couples. This is a great place to come and enjoy with family and friends!