“tranquil escape in negril”

Negril Escape Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 44 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I just returned from a fabulous 5 weeks in Jamaica. One of the highlights was four days I spent at Negril Escape, a charming hotel and spa set amidst a lush tropical garden, on Negril's west end. Each charming cottage had a theme. My favourite was Oriental Express with its gorgeous jewel toned walls and dark furniture. My door opened out to a spectacular view of evening sunsets—the frothy sea crashing on the rocks below.

Now I could have spent my vacation sitting at the bar and savouring yummy tropical drinks but luckily my mom and my sister booked a tour called "the river walk". Organized by the hotel, this walk exceeded my expectations. We were taken on an adventure of a lifetime that we won't soon forget. Our every need was catered to. An inviting basket of fresh fruit greeted us as we entered the comfortable, clean air conditioned bus which took us to the lush forest. Perry, our driver pointed out places of interest and bought cool refreshments for us to enjoy on the way. We were handed over to Dave, our guide who led us safely through the river where we climbed over rocks, rested in waterfalls and swam through a cavern under the cool green of the forest canopy. I was touched by Dave's kindness. Sometimes I'd look over to see my mom's arms wrapped around his neck as he swam with her on his back through particularly deep and challenging parts of the river. Josie, a young boy came along to carry our cameras and lend us a helping hand over the slippery rocks. We were ecstatic when we completed the long trek through the river. The trip concluded at a little Jamaican restaurant with excellent authentic fare.

On Tuesday nights, the sunset show draws a crowd. http://www.negrilescape.com/sunsetshow/default.htm It was fun checking out Jungle King, the spectacular fire dancer and learning about Jamaican music through local musicians singing songs throughout the ages.

There are many all-inclusives on the Negril strip famous for their watered down version of the Jamaican experience. In my opinion they can't compare to this sweet spot where everything, like the delicious tropical drinks at the bar is full-strength and authentic. My congratulations to Carey, the proprietor and thanks to all the kind and attentive staff who made my stay memorable. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank afrofuturist

Reviewed 8 July 2008

We just got back from this "resort". Our daughter got married there. The wedding was nice because it was outside. This was probably one of the worst trips I have ever been on. It was an hour and 1/2 ride on a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel with crazy driving. The lobby of the resort is smaller than my bedroom and it had no air conditioning, only fans and too miserable to stand in even long enough to check into your room. Our first room had broken air and they moved us to another room. This room had bed bugs and my husband got bit all night. They moved us to another room that was okay. This was very rustic with gaps under the door (enough that any critter could come through). There was no beach to walk on. The shuttle picked us up 45 minutes later then we were told and we were late getting to our plane. The only reason we didn't miss it is because it took off on hour late. The view was beautiful, but no where to swim. The only good thing that we found was the staff was amazing! They did everything they could to make us comfortable. I would never go back to this place. At $120.00 a night it was NOT worth it.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank jmbard
EscapeCEO, CEO at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2008

Thanks to jmbard for staying with us, and for taking the time to write a candid review. We are committed to ensuring all our guests enjoy a relaxing, rejuvenating, and holistic vacation experience, and it is obvious that we failed in providing that ti jmbard. For this I sincerely apologize, and assure you that we will take all neccessary measures, to ensure that all our guests are raving fans of the resort. I will now go into the specifics:
(1) Your daughter's wedding.

I'm thrilled that you thought it was nice. our team worked really hard to ensure the bridal couple received all they dreamed of and more. I was happy that they emailed back saying the following " Everything was fantastic, you guys really came through for us and it was everything that we wanted/hoped it could be. Thanks so much. If you need any referral feel free to give out my or M__'s email address" .

(2) The shuttle from the airport. We do try and let everyone know that we are indeed an hour and a half from the airport in Montego Bay. Many enjoy the quaint drive through the curves and turns of Jamaica's beautiful coastline, and meandering through the hills and valleys of our green countryside. This, coupled with the fact that we drive in the left in Jamaica could be to yoru impression of it being "crazy" driving. All our drivers are team Jamaica certified, and normally get great reviews. But I do know that tastes vary. (The diversity makes this world the beautiful place it is. :))
(3) The Hotel's lobby.

Our resort is a boutique hotel, and our lobby has two sections, indoor with ceiling fans, check in counter, couches and a restroom, and outside there is the boarded terrace with natural wicker seats. We felt that the open air experience would be more natural, and welcoming. After your review however, I've started to look at Solar A/C solutions (at least for the inside) ..That way I can remain environmentally friendly :).

(4) Rooms
I apologize for the challenges with your room. I have met with my maintenace team regarding the A/C in the first room, and I have ordered that the room be fumigated, and we will install mesh on the windows.

(5) No place to swim

I wish you had checked with us, as there are many places to swim here at the resort. We do have a ladder to our Caribbean Sea, and various points where one can enter the ocean. (Including the ramp from our lighthouse, if one is that adventurous :)) We also have a swimming pool on property, overlooking the cliffs. We also provide a free shuttle to Negril's seven mile beach which is just 10 minutes away.

(6) Late pickup for return airport transfer. This is inexcusable. We have reprimanded that driver. He assures us that it will never reoccur.

(7) Views and Staff

I'm glad that you thought our views were beautiful and our staff amazing. Hopefully you realized that we are really genuinely nice people trying the best we can to share our beautiful island and great hotel with all our guests. As a result, we are on a path of continuos improvement, and I look forward to an opportunity of redeeming ourselves to jmbard. I take this opportunity to wish their daughter and son-in-law a very happy and long lasting marriage.

Reviewed 5 July 2008

My husband & I, along with 4 friends, stayed at Negril Escape for 5 nights over Memorial Day weekend. It was our 4th trip to Negril and we wanted to stay somewhere quiet and beautiful, where we could all just relax. Negril Escape really fit the bill.

From the time that Teo met us at the airport, to the time that Richard woke us up for our return trip - at 3:30 in the morning! - we felt at home and comfortable. We stayed in the "Back to Africa" house at the edge of the property, and felt like we had the place all to ourselves. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are comfortable and have everything you need. And honestly, you can not beat the view.

The staff really takes pride in caring for their guests, and the resort is constantly making improvements. We're all looking forward to going back soon and seeing what will have changed. It's a wonderful spot for a group of friends to swim, sun, relax, and have a great time together.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank baoram
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I just got back from this resort. The website makes the resort look fabulous. It is not. From the time that I got off the plane, I was unimpressed. The "shuttle" that they have was really a car. I was not offered any refreshements, as they had told me. I got to my room and it was dirty. My door did not lock properly, even after they changed it a couple of times. In fact, a couple times that I returned to my room the door was open. I am CERTAIN that I closed it and tried to lock it. I felt extremly unsafe. The water would intermittenly go on and off due to a thunderstorm. The staff was nice and tried their best. The food was just okay, nothing spectacular. The only good thing was the view. I would not recommend this resort to stay at. I would go for about an hour and look at the cliffs and the ocean. I was very disappointed!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
EscapeCEO, Owner at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2008

I'd like to thank "wpiano" for staying with us here at the Negril Escape, and for giving us her candid feedback. Here at the Negril Escape, we are committed to ensure our guests have a great vacation experience, and regret that "wpiano"s experience was not. We are thankful that she pointed out her dislikes to us (even though we would have prefered them on our comment card forms rather than posted on trip advisor :) ). Nevertheless, you can be sure we will use your information to improve our resort, and prevent any one else from having such a bad experience. Based on your review, it seems like a series of unfortunate events led to your overall experience being bad. I will explain what happened from our side below:

(1) Shuttle from the airport:
We did send a 15 seater shuttle (with refreshments) to pick up your group from the airport in Montego Bay. The first arrivals from your group came out of their flights in good time, but you took awhile in getting through immigration and customs (no fault of yours). The members of your party who were already here, and on the bus decided that they didn't want to wait any longer, and so my airport coordinator Teo, quickly made alternative plans. He chartered a taxi, sent the group ahead with the shuttle bus, and stayed behind to personally escort you to the Negril Escape. He told me he offered to stop and buy you refreshments, but you declined...so I'm not sure if there was a miscommunication there.
(2) Room
I investigated the room and the cleaning reports, and everything was in order, so i am surprised you thought the room was dirty. Nevertheless, our customers are always right, so I have ordered an extra deep cleaning of our rooms. I apologize that you thought the rooms were dirty, and assure you that my housekeeping team has responded to your review by stepping up their standard another notch. Regarding the door lock, iwe apologize for the malfunction. Our maintence team changed the lock within 15 minutes from the time it was reported. I think they should have explained how to use it, since thats where I think the problem was afterwards. I also remind you that you had a roomate staying with you that could have left the door open. Our property is extremely safe with 24 hour security, and a team that is one of the best in Negril. There was no need to feel unsafe.
(3) Water.
Unfortunately we had a thunderstorm that knocked out the power from the state. our back up generator and emergency pumps tripped in so the pressure in our water lines fell during the period when the State's power was going in and out. For that I apologize.

I am thrilled that you gave a great review about our staff, and our views...we think we have the best in Jamaica :). I am indeed terribly sorry that you were disappointed, especially since the bride and groom, and the rest of your group told us they had a fantastic time staying with us,and getting married here. They even made special mention of how good the food was. I do understand though, that each indiviual has their own taste, and I assure you that we are committed to making ALL our customers happy. As such, we are always on a path of continuous improvement. I hope that one day we may have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in your eyes.

Reviewed 19 June 2008

Great sunsets right outside your door..excellent staff..couldn't do enough for you...the grounds couldn't be anymore Jamaican,always impeccably maintained...My favorite meal breakfast always good and plentiful...I had a very relaxing time,
just what I needed....anything and everything was just a request away...owners and management staff always around to help....
the sunset show that they put on about the history of Jamaican music was very entertaining as there was something in it for the novice as well as the old time reggae lovers....I will return...I met some people from England who had seen the resort on this web site and they felt the same as I did....One Love J.Kelly
Boston MA

P.S.forgot to mention the nice clean refreshing pool.....

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank raskelly
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I just got back from my second time at the Negril Escape, for a long weekend (May 21 to May 26)... and I'm so heartbroken to be back!!! :-) Everyone is just as I remember them (I stayed here last year in June/July 07, and you can find my review here as well). The staff - who are now like family - welcomed me back with open arms and I was so happy to see them -it was like being at my second home. They're so lovely and genuine and work so hard - I love them all!!!

I was happy to see many improvements too - which is what I love abotu this place. It's already fun and fabulous but they're always looking to make your stay more special and unique. There's now a weekly Karaoke night - SO MUCH FUN!!! And don't think it's your average karaoke at a restaurant type thing. NO, it's a full blown Karaoke party - with a stage, two microphones, a big screen on stage - you really look like a rock star singing up there!!! and to go with it, a full buffet of Jamaican hot foods... YUMMY and a bar as well. I had SUCH a blast, and no one wanted it to end (at like 11pm)... Another fun event they added is the Sunset show on Tuesday which I hear is a blast, but I missed it cos I got there on a Wednesday (bummer). Definitely have to go back for that:)

There's also now a hot breakfast buffet with everything from eggs to pancakes or French toast (included in room rate). Different selections every morning which keeps it fresh and not boring.

Anyway I could really go on and on about this place. It's as magical as ever, as comfortable and fun as ever, and the staff make it even more special. I just love all the staff - Vevienne, Kadiane, Chris, Sophie, Theresa, Damion, Carey, Paul... They go out of their way for anything you need, just like family. Can't wait to be back!!! All the guests I talked to couldn't wait to either and again, many were repeat visitors.

Honestly, this hotel should be #1 in Negril - and I've stayed at MANY MANY places around the world including 5 stars.
The service, the genuine staff, and the setting are what makes a hotel fabulous and a vacation perfect - and that's what you'll get here at the Escape. Like they say, never 2 without 3 so I know I'm definitely coming back before the end of the year!!

Please do feel free to send me a message on Trip Advisor if you have questions!

PS - I witnessed 2 weddings at the hotel while I was there - and it was so amazing!!! They were both SPECTACULAR and the setting SO beautiful... the staff worked so hard that weekend to make everything perfect, from the ceremony to the reception... I know when I get married some day this place is right up on my list for my destination wedding.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank Liliye
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We stayed at Negril Escape from April 8th -13th 2008. From the moment we checked in, I knew that this staff was special. They catered to every need that I had about the resort. They would go out of there way and do everything possible to try to make me happy. Big shout out to Kim and Damien for making my vacation one to remember. The accomodations aren't luxurious, but the property is beautiful. Breakfast included every morning is a great treat! I would highly recommend this resort to anybody looking to relax in a quite, peaceful atmosphere. The Sunset Show on Tuesday is a must do, as is kareoke on Saturday nights. Once again i'd like to thank the entire staff of Negril Escape for making my vacaton one to remember!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple