“Negril Escape is the Worse Hotel Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Negril Escape Resort & Spa
Ranked #11 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
texas
“Negril Escape is the Worse Hotel Ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 1 December 2008

My sister decided to get married in Jamaica, and when the hotel of her choice was booked out 2 years in advance, she settled on having her wedding at Negril Escape Resort and Spa. She had no idea what she was getting into, nor her guests and wedding party for that matter. Don't let their website fool you. The hotel is not well kept at all. The rooms are very dirty and not maintained. Everything is extremely old, and falling apart. Every towel or sheet we received was heavily stained. The maids did not remove sheets and towels, or clean up well at all during our stay. As a result most of our rooms were riddled with bugs of all sorts. I personally had to buy cleaning supplies and clean up our room over and over again so that my family did not have to stay in that type of filth. We were there for 8 days and 4 of those days we did not have water or power. If we had water it was freezing cold. Not to mention it was about 90 degrees at the time, so we were sweating in our rooms on many occasions while we were trying to sleep. Another misconception on their website is that they are a 'resort and spa', but there is no 'spa'. No facials, mud baths, nail services, which are the type of services most "SPAS" have when referred to by that term. Instead all there was, was a gazebo with a couple of sheets covering it while a man gives you $100 massage that's not worth $20. Then proceeds to ask you if you want to "smoke"? I guess with hopes that you will be so out of it you won't notice how poor the massage was in the first place. The hotel tells you online that the rooms come with safes, irons, blow dryers, and that there is complimentary shuttle service, all free of charge, however they requested us to pay for all of these items when asked. We even had a shuttle driver chase us down for payment when he took us shopping. When we argued that their website stated that all of these items were complimentary, they argued back. They definitely don't have their guest's interests at heart. They are out to make a quick buck, and they don't care if you enjoy your stay or if you are well accomodated at all. Another negative is there is no vending machines or soda machines of any kind on the premises. So if you want a snack or something to eat, you are forced to take their so called "Complimentary" shuttle to a local restaurant, or eat a their restaurant on the premises. Just remember that you can't be hungry when you eat anywhere in Jamaica, especially at Negril Escape's Restaurant b/c it takes 2-3 hours to receive a meal. The only thing that was true is they did have a beautiful view of the ocean and the hotel does sit on a cliff. So the view is breathtaking. But other than that, I would not recommend staying there at all. The worse thing of it all, is all of us stayed there for my sister's sake b/c she was getting married there and we were in her wedding party. So they made tons of money off of us since we filled the resort with family and friends. The average cost is $150-200 a night to stay in their rooms or suites and for that in the US, you would be treated like a king and queen. But not at Negril Escape. You are treated like the "help", and given the worse possible place to sleep and eat. Not to mention, their rooms which are $100 (lowest price) a night are smaller than the average wardrobe closet in the US. Also, definitely don't hold a wedding there. Their wedding planner and his assistants screwed up my sister's wedding so badly, and then tried to charge her and her husband more money even though they had a signed contract with the resort and their amount due was not supposed to exceed the agreed terms on the contract. Nonetheless, we did not feel like we had a relaxing vacation, or any fun for that matter. We were so upset when our trip was complete, we could not wait to get back to the U.S. Myself and the other guests did express how displeased we were with their service and accomodations at Negril Escape, and the hotel managers did not care one bit. They had nothing to say, and did not attempt to make sure we left happy in any way. They just couldn't wait for us to pay so that they could make that quick buck, which was their main goal all along. So, as you can read, I'm a very unsatisfied customer. I would strongly recommend that if you do ever vacation in Jamaica, DO NOT stay at Negril Escape Resort and Spa!!!!!!!!!!! It's a DEFINITE WASTE OF MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed November 2008
4 Thank chelleTexas
EscapeCEO, CEO at Negril Escape Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 December 2008
I'd like to thank Chelle Texas for writing a review after her stay with us. Good reviews encourage us, and bad reviews (as this one) re-energise our committment to providing the best vacation experience for our guests.

A few days before Chelle Texas arrived, Negril's coastline was hit by storm surges from hurricane Paloma. The Negril Escape's landscape along with the spa, and ocean front rooms were damaged. With the knowledge that this very important wedding was a few days away, our team worked around the clock to put the hotel back together in time. So while we were able to reopen the hotel, we were not at our best. What was lush tropical gardens with pretty flowers and fruit trees, and vegetables, were now freshly planted plants. This I imagine made Chelle Texas have a bad first impression, and decide not to give the hotel a chance.

Our team worked sooooo hard to ensure the destination wedding was a success, and we thought we had achieved that objective when (1) The bride and groom, wedding guests and their family thanked us so much for a great wedding, (2) The bride and groom along with other guests indicated that they are already planning their return next year, (3) Most of the guests were hugging and thanking us for a great stay when they were leaving. (4) Almost all comment cards (except yours) indicated that guests were happy, would return, and would recommend the hotel to others.

Your review however, indicated that we didn't acheive 100% success. Again, I apologize, and assure you that I have already met with my team and combed through your complaints with a mandate to ensure no guests in the future has that impression of the resort.

I agree with you that no one should stay in a hotel as you described or get married at a resort that "screws up Weddings" . I assure others reading, that while we are not perfect, we are really NOT what you described. I have photos of the very wedding with guests dancing up a storm, hugging staff members, happy, laughing,and having a fantastic experience. I am also encouraged by the many guests including current ones, who are raving fans of the resort and our team, and who come year after year to their Negril "family" and Negril "home" (repeat guests make up 41.4% of our business).

I take this opportunity to bring warm and sunny greetings from the Negril Escape team to the bride and groom, and their wonderful family and friends whom we had the privilege to meet and share in this special time. I take this opportunity to wish you all, blessings and happiness, and a merry Christmas and Happy '09. :-)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Georgia
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We got married at Negril Escape and it was a wonderful ceremony, I couldn't have asked for better. What bothered me about the hotel was we didn't feel very welcomed and felt that if anyone did anything for me; ie get us a drink, fix our fan and ac in the room; that I had to tip them. Anytime I had a question, I rarely got a straight answer and felt like I was bothering them by asking anything. I didn't even know what to do on the wedding day until I literally walked out of the hotel room that night to get married. The room was cute, but not at all how it had been depicted on their website (we stayed in passage to India). The food... WAY overpriced for what we got. While it was good, I knew it would at least be $50 US every meal. They made Jerk chicken and while it was yummy, for $20, it was chicken with hot sauce on it.

If you stay here, go to the little hut outside the resort that served patties. They were so yummy and the owner and his children were super sweet! Also, if you have the room, take your own snorkel gear and get into the water!!! There are tons of fish and coral just down the ladder that will keep you entertained for hours!

• Liked — view, no hagglers
  • Disliked — no Wifi, not the friendliest of staff, $ of food/drinks
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 24 October 2008

In September and October 2008 I spent five weeks in Jamaica. It was actually my second stay and just like on my first one I spent my time travelling around the island. Thus, I got to know quite a few hotels and I have to say that the Negril Escape was by far the nicest I've stayed in. First of all, its location is perfect: it's situated on the cliffs, but you can easily reach the 7-miles beach, following the road down-hill and passing all the small typically Jamaican bars and food stalls. Hence, it offers a pieceful hide-out in touristic Negril and it's less 'mainstream' than the many hotels perched along the beach. To take a swim, you can dive into the crystal blue water - it's just a few metres away from your doorstep. You can also sunbathe next to the swimmingpool which overlooks the ocean. The hotel is very well-maintained and the staff was always friendly and very helpful. It's such a cozy, nice place - I was always greeted by my name! The boutique style hotel has 42 rooms on 10 cottages. Since each cottage has its own exotic theme and unique name, I stayed in Bamboo Avenue. I adored the Jamaican crafts in the room, lying on the comfortable bed, watching cable TV in air-conditioned comfort. I actually miss my balcony where I used to relax in the hammock overlooking the ocean and the tropical garden surrounding the cottages. The hotel has its own restaurant that serves excellent food. For entertainmet there is even a music show taking place called the sunset show where artists guide you through the different genres of Jamaican music OR you can take the shuttle bus down to the Jungle, a local nightclub. Well, what else can I say about The Escape than that I really enjoyed my stay and that I would recommend it to everyone who wants to spend a wonderful, tropical vacation in Jamaica.

• Liked — I adored the Individually decorated rooms and the great staff
  • Disliked — I actually loved everything
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank steffimaria
Manchester
Reviewed 11 October 2008

Take it from us this IS the place to get married at in Jamaica. We had the pleasure of getting married at Negril Escape in August of this year and believe us it was magical, and to quote some of our guests 'hollywood style'.. The venue is stunning, made all the more so by the wonderful decorations, and the amazing ocean views. We had 170 guests from the UK, USA, Canada & Jamaica at our wedding and all were bowled over as we were by the high standards employed by Don & Natasha at Negril Escape. This may not be your 5 star all inclusive resort, but believe you me having seen a number of weddings at those resorts, and experiencing what Negril Escape can provide, they are a 5 star wedding location. They take time to find out what YOU want & deliver it, for you. Our guests were entertained by an excellent band after the ceremony, whilst being served a fine selection of hors d'oeuvres and rum punch, before having a real Jamaican buffet meal and then dancing the night away to the versatile DJ. Don & Natasha left nothing to chance and did everthing to make our day extra special, and exactly as we wanted including our specific requests.

Wayne & Carol

• Liked — simplicity & comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank 5Lemons
New York, NY
Reviewed 6 October 2008

I recently had my wedding at Negril Escape and could not have been happier. The cliff side of Negril is unbelievably beautiful. I did not visit the property before the wedding and I am glad I did not since I might have preferred another venue without knowing about the all the things that make Negril Escape special. Negril Escape is not the most beautiful property in Negril but was absolutely perfect for us. I went to a few places on the cliff side of Negril afterwards and believe that Negril Escape has the best wedding venue on the island.

We had about 45 people at our wedding and everyone had an absolute blast and we are still getting compliments to this day. I think it is important to mention that, apart from a handful of family members, our wedding guests were on the younger side and very excited to take advantage of all Negril Escape and Negril had to offer. Swimming in the sea, cliff / lighthouse jumping, and nighttime pool parties – it was fantastic! Since my wedding was in the low-season, our group made up nearly all of the guests at the hotel which was awesome since we didn’t have to worry about making noise and disturbing other guests. Also, some of us went SCUBA diving right off the cliffs. Negril SCUBA Centre was right on the property and so convenient.

If forced to complain, I will say the following: the food will take maybe an hour or more from when you order it. We learned quickly and ordered our food before we were hungry and hung around the pool or the ocean until it was ready. Also, the pool is not that great compared to a couple of the other properties we saw but with the ocean right there, the pool was not used all that much. And they had a cat or two running around the property which annoyed a couple of my guests. Lastly, we thought the Jungle nightclub was overrated.

We used Clive’s Transportation Service to get to and from the property. I believe that Negril Escape also has a shuttle service. But I would strongly recommend only using one of these. Taxi service is shady business in Jamaica but this is not the place to go into it. Negril is definitely a long drive from the airport but well worth it if you are looking for a more local experience (versus Montego Bay). And although Negril beach is also stunning, in my opinion, the cliff side is a way better place to have a wedding. The beaches in Jamaica are public property and people can come and go as they please right in the middle of your wedding!

Planning the wedding at Negril Escape was a little challenging. There isn’t a large staff for this and Donald pretty much manages it on his own. This is definitely not for the brides that need a lot of attention during planning. I did my best to relax during the planning but certainly did worry a bit. I was calmed by the fact that Negril Escape has weddings or other events practically every weekend. I thought to myself, there is no way I had a request that they couldn’t honor. So before the wedding I simply wrote down step by step how I wanted everything to go and went through it with them when I got there. My every request was fulfilled – Donald and Natasha are true professionals.

The wedding ceremony and reception itself was absolutely wonderful. It rained for most of the day but stopped just in time for the ceremony and we were treated to a rainbow and an amazing sunset. Unfortunately, it threatened to rain again and we were forced to move the reception inside. It’s definitely not as nice inside and terribly hot but we had a great time nonetheless.

The only thing I wish I had done differently would be to get ready in a different room. I did not like the décor in the honeymoon suite and was a bit disappointed with my pictures. If I could do it over again, I would have had the bridal party get ready and take pictures down the road at Tensing Pen which is just exquisite.

Finally, I want to talk about the staff. Really, I cannot sing higher praises to the Negril Escape staff, especially Dameon, Vivienne, Kadiane, Kim, Howard, Alrick, and Sophie. Everyone was incredibly friendly and bent over backwards to insure that our group was having an incredible time. The managers that I worked with – Donald and Natasha – were extremely accommodating as well. Natasha organized a sunset catamaran cruise for us which was a blast. I also love that Negril Escape is local-owned and the money we spent there went into the Jamaican economy.

All in all, we were extremely happy with our experience at Negril Escape and couldn’t recommend it more highly.

• Liked — the staff!! the cliffs.
  • Disliked — the decor
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank negrilescapefan
London
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Having stayed for a fortnight at Negril Escape, I've returned back to London completely chilled out.
Having travelled from busy Kingston and Mandeville doing the family visits etc Negril was like a breath of fresh air.

As soon and I got to Negril Escape the staff were very polite and courteous. Nothing was to much trouble. I was introduced to my room, which all cottages are themed my room was "passage to India", which really was different from the tradional hotels in Jamaica.
As my husband and I Lay in our queen size bed we felt totally relaxed and now able to really enjoy our holiday.

The views from the cottage were exquisitely, breathtaking.

I loved to meditate in the tower by the sea, it really is the best place in the world I have ever meditated in. In the evenings to sunset in amazing.

Then walking to breakfast, the guests are already so relaxed you join in and really feel welcome.

September was tradionally their quiet time so we had the lovely pool to ourselves alot of the time.

Then there is the schnorkeling, amazing corals immediately as you enter the sea. I saw dolphins daily. The scuba diving centre staff alway willing to accompany you.

I'd say "Negril Escape really is a hidden treasure". I had a wonderful time there and was in no hurry to leave.

• Liked — Friendly people
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I recently got married at Negril Escape in july and what a beautiful wedding it was...First and foremost the staff is TREMENDOUS and the driver's (wassup Perry) were excellent. Thank You to the staff at the restaurant/bar for keeping our kids (4 & 2) occupied when we tried to eat. Natasha and Donald really and truly allowed me to plan the wedding of my dreams. For all the little details I forgot they came through and took care of it. All my guests were treated with the utmost respect and if they or myself had a question or problem it was attended to either immediately or in a timely manner. The hotel arranged for a group of us to go to "jungle" nightclub and ensured some friends who decided to leave when the club closed get back to the hotel safely. If there was any service we needed or place we wanted to go the staff pointed us in that direction. I love the fact that a complimentary shuttle is provided to the beach daily...The grounds are beautiful and well kept, the rooms are eclectic (a little small for some people's taste). The hotel is quiet you don't hear a sound but what is natural to the area. The views from all angles is just gorgeous!!!! I can't say more..If you want hospitality, to be away from the crowds and nothing else matters but comfort then I suggest Negril Escape..The food is good too!!!Monetarily its affordable considering the charge is per night and breakfast is included. The grounds are safe and I can't say it any more the staff is by far the best I have ever encountered..I commend Donald for continuing to make improvements on the property as I can only see it getting better..

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — nothing much
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business