“Worst experience in 30 years travel to Negril”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Donaldson's Inn on the Beach
Ranked #23 of 44 Negril B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I have been traveling to Negril for 30 years now and my experience with booking a beach front room with Delores O'Connor, Manager of Donaldson's Inn was the sort of thing that makes you want to write off bothering to do business with small local Jamaican inn keepers. In recent years I have stayed at Tree House, Rainbow Arch, Country Country and booked my wedding party & wedding at Home Sweet Home several years ago.

I exchanged Emails with Delores inquiring about availability and prices for rooms for 11/22/2008 to 11/29/2008. She replied they had rooms available then and the price would be US $60.00 per night.

I then inquired about beachfront rooms as to whether they had A/C, fans, and size of beds. I also inquired whether taxes were included in the $60 rates. I was told the taxes were included, the bed size was queen and that one room had A\C and fan.

Armed with this information I shot off an Email requesting to reserve the upstairs beachfront room with A/C fror Thanksgiving week and got a prompt reply saying our room was reserved! Great! I sent an Email the morning we left saying that our arrival time had been delayed several hours and we should reach Negril around sunset on the 22 nd.

Upon our arrival I did not arrive with a printout of our Emails and she acted like she had never heard of us and we had no reservation and there were no beach front rooms available. Thereupon I told her if I couldn't have the room she herself had promised us I would not stay. She disappeared inside and after several minutes returned and said she could give us a garden view room that night and we could have a beach front room the next day/night. Because there was already a misunderstanding and wanting to avoid another I inquired about the price of the room for the night and the beachfront room. I was told the room for the night was $65 and the beach front was considerably more. I thanked her and told her I would spend, more than likely, just the night. The A/C in the room didn't work and the king size bed was two twins pushed together. We didn't unpack, but walked down the beach and got a great deal at Co Co LaPalm; got a cab to bring us back to Donaldson's Inn and picked up our luggage. I paid her cash the next morning for the room, $65, and wrote off Donaldson's Inn and Delores. Who wants to do business with people like this?

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
9  Thank macquechoux

Reviewed 5 March 2008

wow ,what can i say the best place to stay in negril been going there 4 years ,hi all its jackie coming there april 16 make room 4 me ok .the poeple there are the best miss lena made sure of that ,love her and miss her so much eveytime i come there i feel a part of her with me all the time,she was the most kind person i ever met .her grandaughters fallowing in her footsteps ,she great to ,love u all there and see u soon love jackie xxoo:) irire

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank jackie84
Reviewed 6 May 2007

Stayed at Donaldson's Inn for the fourth time. As always it was a perfect vacation. Made many new friends there. Its right on the beach
and everything you need is only a few steps away. we pay much less than an A.I. and I think we have a better time. People from the A.I.'s come to visit us and it doesn't take long before they book their next stay at Donaldson's.

As a return customer its like going to visit family. Hugs when we arrive and tears when we leave.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
12  Thank gluecipher
Reviewed 19 March 2006

I have stayed with the Donaldson's for many years and cannot think of anywhere else I'd rather stay while in Negril. The rooms are spacious and clean. The staff is like family and they really take care of their guests. The yard is beautiful! You are within walking distance to several wonderful restaurants. Like me, you might not want to leave the yard!

• Stayed: December 2005
10  Thank jamaicabound22
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I will start my review by saying that I have stayed here numerous times since 1992 and have watched Negril change over the years. Donaldson's Inn is a second generation family owned resort that is not an all inclusive but offers in my opinion a wonderful Jamaican experience. Those that choose the AI vacation and stay at their resort don't get to experience things that we do at Donaldson's. Many walk by and admire. Many inquire. The resort has one of the best kept yards on the beach and the staff are very friendly and accomodating to the guests. The rates are very reasonable and they are located in the middle of Negril's beautiful white sand beach. There are only 10 rooms beachside and more across the road. Home of Ozzie's Top Diner and Ozzie's Jerk Centre. Check out their website at www.donaldsonsinn.com. I have included some pictures from a recent trip. I am taking my family in April. Respect.

19  Thank kurtfrommn