“20 plus years of great vacations, the Donaldsons Inn, Negril,Jamaica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donaldson's Inn on the Beach

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Donaldson's Inn on the Beach
Ranked #14 of 42 Negril B&B and Inns
tc,mich
“20 plus years of great vacations, the Donaldsons Inn, Negril,Jamaica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2010

O.K., how do I describe it, this small resort is family,friendly,sun on the beach great! with some of the best food, drink, and relaxation needed.. go for it..tell 'em tommy tsunami sent you!!!!!!! [--]

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank ttsunami

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Coconut Creek, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

I was here 3 years ago and since then, more rooms were added, the food is superb, the staff is very friendly and helpful. It is a safe and well lit environment. Close to other establishments where you can find music, liquor and other restaurants up and down the beach. The beach is one of the best ever, lovely white sand that is real soft by touch. The ocean was so warm, if you closed your eyes you would swear you were in a bathtub of warm water. , we will be back again next year, and will recommend this to everyone.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank spiceman1959
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

We booked one of the 4 beach front rooms in February of 2008 in person with the owner Delores for March, 2009; in December I confirmed my booking via email and reconfirmed it in a telephone conversation with Delores 2 weeks before we were to arrive, each time I was told every thing was fine. When we arrived we were told we had to stay in one of the non beach front rooms for a week due to the beach front rooms being over booked. After a heated discussion we were able to stay in one of the beach front rooms for 2 nights then we would be moved to a non beach front room for 3 nights then moved again to the beach front room we had booked in the first place a year in advance. As you can tell this got our vacation off to a bad start so we decided to check out a few other hotels, on the 3rd day we moved but not to the non beach front room but to another property for the rest of our 2 week vacation. This is our 9th year vacationing in Jamaica, second year in Negril. I was hoping we had found a place we would stay at each year for the next several years, I guess not. Thanks to a Trip advisor review (see below), we did bring a copy of the emails we had with Delores; that helped a bit but didn't solve the problem.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Harley1Dave
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

An affordable place on the beach. Great location! A friendly locally owned inn smack in the middle of 7 mile beach. No bells & whistles. Clean and safe. Hot showers if you catch it right. Steps from the water. Available beach chairs. What more could you want?

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cr0ixb0yz
Duluth, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2008

I couldn't disagree more with macquechoux's review. I was quite surprised. I have to believe that there was some miscommunication somewhere that lead to the unfortunate situation that macquechoux experienced.

This was my family's first time staying with Delores and her family at Donaldson's and it won't be our last. We were recommended by some friends who have stayed at Donaldson's Inn for years and we were treated like long lost relatives when we arrived. It was amazing how wonderful the entire staff treated me, my wife and two children. We have stayed at other hotels and all-inclusives in Negril and were looking for a smaller place to stay so we contacted Donaldson's. We made our reservations two months in advance with Delores and confirmed them the week prior to our arrival. We experienced no problems whatsoever.

The room rates are extremely reasonable. Beachfront rooms for less than $100 US/night. Where else can you get that? I would have to pay twice as much to stay at a hotel in Duluth and even then I wouldn't have the same incredible experience as I have when I am at Donaldson's!

The rooms are comfortable and clean. They are cleaned daily. The air conditioning was nice, when we used it. The staff responded quickly to our every need/inquiry.

There are two nice restaurants on the same property as Donaldson's that we ate at often and were satisfied every time. The Inn Thing is on the beach side and serves delicious breakfasts and lunches. Ozzie's restaurant is on the road side of the yard and serves dinner. Jerk Chicken or Pork is available anytime across the street at Ozzie's Jerk Center. Everything we ate was wonderful (and my children are picky eaters!)

I will definitely stay at Donaldson's on our next visit and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my family and friends, in fact, I already have!

• Liked — The proximity of the rooms to the beach and how we were treated.
  • Disliked — Internet access would be a plus but it is not a deal breaker.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
      Check-in / front desk
7 Thank KuelBean
Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2008

I have been traveling to Negril for 30 years now and my experience with booking a beach front room with Delores O'Connor, Manager of Donaldson's Inn was the sort of thing that makes you want to write off bothering to do business with small local Jamaican inn keepers. In recent years I have stayed at Tree House, Rainbow Arch, Country Country and booked my wedding party & wedding at Home Sweet Home several years ago.

I exchanged Emails with Delores inquiring about availability and prices for rooms for 11/22/2008 to 11/29/2008. She replied they had rooms available then and the price would be US $60.00 per night.

I then inquired about beachfront rooms as to whether they had A/C, fans, and size of beds. I also inquired whether taxes were included in the $60 rates. I was told the taxes were included, the bed size was queen and that one room had A\C and fan.

Armed with this information I shot off an Email requesting to reserve the upstairs beachfront room with A/C fror Thanksgiving week and got a prompt reply saying our room was reserved! Great! I sent an Email the morning we left saying that our arrival time had been delayed several hours and we should reach Negril around sunset on the 22 nd.

Upon our arrival I did not arrive with a printout of our Emails and she acted like she had never heard of us and we had no reservation and there were no beach front rooms available. Thereupon I told her if I couldn't have the room she herself had promised us I would not stay. She disappeared inside and after several minutes returned and said she could give us a garden view room that night and we could have a beach front room the next day/night. Because there was already a misunderstanding and wanting to avoid another I inquired about the price of the room for the night and the beachfront room. I was told the room for the night was $65 and the beach front was considerably more. I thanked her and told her I would spend, more than likely, just the night. The A/C in the room didn't work and the king size bed was two twins pushed together. We didn't unpack, but walked down the beach and got a great deal at Co Co LaPalm; got a cab to bring us back to Donaldson's Inn and picked up our luggage. I paid her cash the next morning for the room, $65, and wrote off Donaldson's Inn and Delores. Who wants to do business with people like this?

• Liked — Beachfront rooms right on the beach.
  • Disliked — read the review.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank macquechoux
canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2008

wow ,what can i say the best place to stay in negril been going there 4 years ,hi all its jackie coming there april 16 make room 4 me ok .the poeple there are the best miss lena made sure of that ,love her and miss her so much eveytime i come there i feel a part of her with me all the time,she was the most kind person i ever met .her grandaughters fallowing in her footsteps ,she great to ,love u all there and see u soon love jackie xxoo:) irire

Stayed April 2007