“A detailed Review of Paradise & Perfection”
Review of Villas Sur Mer

Villas Sur Mer
Mississauga, Canada
“A detailed Review of Paradise & Perfection”
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Hello Fellow Travellers,

The following is a detailed review of my stay at Negril's Villas Sur Mer from November 21-November 28th, 2011.

About the travellers:
Group of about 20 young adults ranging from 21yrs-33yrs of age.

Reason for travelling here:

Villa #2
Main Villa- Party House

Estimated from Airport: 2hrs or less depending on traffic
Cost from airport: $30USD-$40USD

This property has to be one of the most amazing I have ever seen, and I have been to over 31 Islands. Once you arrive it is as if you are in an African wilderness. The grounds are both well kept as well as well secured. There is constant security guards on duty, whom also double as your cab drivers, and jack-of-all trades.

There is an underground cave that you can walk down which is very romantic at night and the perfect spot for a proposal [hint hint...] The smaller villas have a pool lounging section which offers oversized rocking chairs/sun lougners, as well as a 12 person hot tub, and a pool with waterfall.

The main villa or party house has a smaller hot tube (four-six person) as well as a smaller inground pool. The main villa has ocean access which is very safe, and swimable. The other smaller villas offer ocean access through the underground cave. For those indivdiuals whom love the beach, Richard (the best taxi/security guard guy) can drive you there no problems for about $20.00USD return trip. He is always on time and looks out of those people staying at the Villa.

FOOD: This is one of the biggest concerns staying at a non-all inclusive. However, the villas are equipped with cooking supplies so all one has to do is visit or send for groceries and then food is no longer an issue. Otherwise, you can eat all meals at the LTU Resturant located directly across from the smaller villas and beside the party villa. This place is a bit pricy given your expecting to pay local prices. The menu is in USD and dinners range from $65.00 for a couple with one drink each, with breakfast being about $16.00 a couple. Otherwise, one can get food on the side of the road via random people selling cooked chicken or ask to be taken to other nearby resturants.

DRINKS: The villa staff can make BEER and MIXER runs for you to the whole sale place for about $30.00 for 24 RED STRIPES.

NIGHTLIFE: Around the Villa's there isn't an officall disco, the LTU has Pull Up Friday's which is more comical than anything else, a wide array of straglers attend.
Otherwise, a club in town called THE JUNGLE is great. It plays mainstream urban music, Top 40, Reggea, Soca, etc. It has three different floors, drinks are around $3.00 USD and Richard can take you there, wait there with you, or come back for you. Again always on time and looking for you. There wasn't any problems at the group, although it could be intimading to first time travellers on an Island.

NEGATIVES: The Hot tub was never acutally "hot", and it appeared to be "dirty" although the staff said it was always cloudy...
Also, the pool is NOT HEATED so it can be cold at night, otherwise everything is fantastic.

MUST BRING!: BUG SPRAY/ AFTER BITE/ CALAMINE LOTION, if your like me and mosquito's love you then make sure you travel with bug stuff as the bugs are mighty hungry, but hey, its so worth the bug issue as its an African wilderness what else does one expect.

MONEY: On average, you will need about $100.00USD-$150.00USD a day to have a comfortable time at this resort, all depending if you intend on grocery shopping or going out to eat. Personally, I think that going out to eat is more worth it, as the groceries are quite expensive.
- Bring BOTH USD and JAMAICAN MONEy
- All places accept both, however, when dealing with locals Jamaican money is better as you don't need to make the conversion etc, and its gets confusing.

Right now for CND and USD its about: 1000 Jamaican Dollars is $12.00 USD approx.
500 Jamacian Dollars is $6.00 USD approx.
100 Jamaican Dollars is $1.25 USD approx.

Have a great time, and please look out for Richard and Janet, the best dynamic duo looking out for all of your needs (Janet even sewed my boyfriends pants! now that is service!)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
13 Thank SoakingupSun

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
florida
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This was the second time we stayed at Villas Sur Mer and it was still wonderful. We go to Jamaica at least once a year and sometimes twice and this is the only place my husband wanted to go back to. We rent a car and love the freedom of going to the beach during the day and being on the cliffs at night. Our only problem was that the hot tub was out of order this time we were there. We bring our snorkeling things and always jump in, they have some there also. There is a very nice rasta man who sweeps the property with a palm branch and instead of cutting the leaves that start to get in the way of the path, he ties knots in them to hold them back. I love looking for his knots. Don't forget to go to Ivans for a great dinner right down the road.

Room Tip: It can be a bit loud anywhere in Negril at night so you may want to bring ear plugs but we had enoug...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lady_of_leisure_8
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Villa Sur Mer in late April and it was amazing. Nothing on that entire strip compares. And I am a tough cookie when it comes to hotels. I also stayed at the Rockhouse but it just didn't have the privacy and beauty that Villa Sur Mer had. If you choose to stay at Villa Sur Mer you will never look to stay at another hotel in Negril. This is coming from NYC gal that only desires the best!!! I can't wait to go back.

Rooms: amazing- mini suites. Clean w/ white linens everywhere
Ground: well kept.
Pool: Let's say I stuggled between the beach and just sitting at the Villa Sur Mer's pool.
Staff: We didn't have to ask twice and we had what we needed.

Last but not least, RICHARD was the best!! He treated us like family. And Jamaica can be a rough place but Richard made it easy for us to get around and experience the true Jamaica.

Will I come back to Negril? Yes. And where will I stay? VILLA SUR MER!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing, but head towards the back. It is away from the street.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank kerryberry1079
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Villas Sur Mer is absolutely breathtaking. It's obvious that a lot of time and planning went into the design and landscaping of the entire little "resort." I've stayed at a few places in Negril, and I have never seen any other place so well maintained down to every last detail. The landscaping is amazing- very well done- giving each cottage it's own privacy and private entrance. If you're looking for a little seclusion, you can find it here. We stayed in cottage 8, at the rear of the property and overlooking the lagoon pool and bar area. This is an excellent location for a romantic escape. Upon our arrival, we were promptly greeted and shown to our room (even though we arrived early) where I had arranged to have a chilled bottle of wine and fresh fruit for our arrival- both were there and ready for us as expected. Mogonna, the manager, could not be more friendly and welcoming. As my boyfriend described, she's full of "vibes" and made him feel instantly relaxed. The room was just as we expected- clean, neat, modern and well-appointed. The air conditioning in the bedroom worked very well- just what we needed for a cool afternoon nap. The bar was handy and the bartender was quite friendly and helpful. Breakfasts and lunches from the nearby restaurant were also quite good and arrived fairly quickly. We very much enjoyed spending time in both the huge hot-tub (every morning) as well as lounging in the pool in the afternoons. The private cave area right in front of the sea was a beautiful little escape. It doesn't get a good sunset view because it's set in a little (it IS a cave) but you can still see the sky turning gorgeous shades of purple pink and orange...we very much enjoyed sunset from there. 3 Dives down the road makes some great Jerk (loved the lobster) and had a nice romantic sit-down at Xtabi- very much recommended. In fact, I'd go back there a few more times if I had to do it over again. Overall, this was an excellent experience and we can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The cottages with the larger numbers are toward the back of the resort, near the pool, and the ones...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BKristaB
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2011

Villas Sur Mer was the perfect couples vacation. Not only are the rooms well decorated and charming. The people are amazing! In fact, that personal touch truly made the trip special and my girlfriend and I honestly felt like we were leaving our long lost family.

Richard (Richie) Took care of us while we were there. He was available 24/7 and was so kind. But not just kind. Richie is truly and genuine person. He was truly happy to help us out and make us feel at home. If we needed to go anywhere, he took us, picked us up, stopped if we needed to grab supplied. It was unreal. We love him.

We were so busy doing our activities and keeping Richie busy we didn't get to see Morganna (the manager) a lot but when we did she was so pleasant and accommodating. She was simply perfect! Always smiling and happy which we loved.

While we were there we snorkeled which was amazing. A boat came up the villas sur mer to pick us up right off the cliffs. VERY COOL! We always took a 10 minute drive down to the 7 mile beach. Margaritaville is free but gets very busy and loud. Not my style. If you go further down and pay a couple of bucks per person, you can get peace and quiet on the beach.

Also go the one of the two local water falls. Wonderful stuff!

Ok so basically what I am trying to say is GO! You won’t be making a mistake. This was my 4th time in Jamaica and my best time. A beautiful quiet warm peaceful get away.

Room Tip: Check out of the website for detailed pictures. It depends what you need. Also call and talk to Morg...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JacClnt1986
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I was very disappointed with this property. It was obvious that no one had stayed in villa 5 for sometime. Walls were dirty. Downstairs bathroom was dirty and red ants spewed from the faucet on first use. We even found a live worm on the bathroom wall. The place was full of mosquitoes. Returned home with lots of bites and a large roach in luggage. It would have been nice to have drinking water in the refrigerator even for a charge. When asked for drinking water, we were told to go to the store down the road. This place was grossly overpriced. I would never stay at Villa Sur Mer again. The only phone was located in the living room that was so damp and unkept we were afraid to even sit on the dirty looking couch. BTW I checked all the great reviews and feel sure they may have been talking about the one seaside villa that was across the road.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank gholness
reggaeboyz1, Owner at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, 7 August 2011
I read your review and I feel very strongly about the comments you have made.
As you can see from all other reviews about the Lagoon Villas, to be honest, our courteous staff and our cleanliness are two of our strongest assets.

I am very very sorry that you had an experience as you had with Villa #5, as this is one of our nicer Lagoon Villas, and this is the Villa that I stay in with my family even when the seaside villa is open...I just love the way its appointed and the coziness of the villa itself.

I checked the cleanliness of Villa #5 personally, and it honestly met our high standards at Villas Sur Mer.

The "worm" you mentioned are tiny tree worms that might have came thru somewhere, after cleaning, and being about 1/4 of a inch in size they could get thru anywhere...but living in a tropical island sometimes has its issues and we just try our best to stay on top of everything for our discerning guests.

Again, I hear reports from 95% of the guests that come to Villas Sur Mer and nearly 100% of the time our guests are really happy, as you can see from the reviews.

I still consider your one bad experience ONE TOO MANY...and I hope we can make it up to you on another trip to Jamaica, and I ask that you contact me at 876-382-3717 to discuss further with me on this.

All the best to you.
Peter
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I stayed at the Villas with a large group of girls and it was everything we could have dreamed of! If you're concerned at all about the pics/video on the site being different with the actual place, rest assured that its just as great in reality - probably better! The rooms and common areas were very clean, and the staff was super sweet. We hung out in the pool and hottub all the time and the ocean off the cliffs were super fun. You can even do some exploring to the caves. And if you get Gregory as your chef you're extremely lucky because this man can cook! Thanks Villas for making it the best vacation ever!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends