Hello Fellow Travellers,
The following is a detailed review of my stay at Negril's Villas Sur Mer from November 21-November 28th, 2011.
About the travellers:
Group of about 20 young adults ranging from 21yrs-33yrs of age.
Reason for travelling here:
Stayed in/visisted friends in:
Villa #3- 3 Bedroom Villa
Main Villa- Party House
Estimated from Airport: 2hrs or less depending on traffic
Cost from airport: $30USD-$40USD
This property has to be one of the most amazing I have ever seen, and I have been to over 31 Islands. Once you arrive it is as if you are in an African wilderness. The grounds are both well kept as well as well secured. There is constant security guards on duty, whom also double as your cab drivers, and jack-of-all trades.
There is an underground cave that you can walk down which is very romantic at night and the perfect spot for a proposal [hint hint...] The smaller villas have a pool lounging section which offers oversized rocking chairs/sun lougners, as well as a 12 person hot tub, and a pool with waterfall.
The main villa or party house has a smaller hot tube (four-six person) as well as a smaller inground pool. The main villa has ocean access which is very safe, and swimable. The other smaller villas offer ocean access through the underground cave. For those indivdiuals whom love the beach, Richard (the best taxi/security guard guy) can drive you there no problems for about $20.00USD return trip. He is always on time and looks out of those people staying at the Villa.
FOOD: This is one of the biggest concerns staying at a non-all inclusive. However, the villas are equipped with cooking supplies so all one has to do is visit or send for groceries and then food is no longer an issue. Otherwise, you can eat all meals at the LTU Resturant located directly across from the smaller villas and beside the party villa. This place is a bit pricy given your expecting to pay local prices. The menu is in USD and dinners range from $65.00 for a couple with one drink each, with breakfast being about $16.00 a couple. Otherwise, one can get food on the side of the road via random people selling cooked chicken or ask to be taken to other nearby resturants.
DRINKS: The villa staff can make BEER and MIXER runs for you to the whole sale place for about $30.00 for 24 RED STRIPES.
NIGHTLIFE: Around the Villa's there isn't an officall disco, the LTU has Pull Up Friday's which is more comical than anything else, a wide array of straglers attend.
Otherwise, a club in town called THE JUNGLE is great. It plays mainstream urban music, Top 40, Reggea, Soca, etc. It has three different floors, drinks are around $3.00 USD and Richard can take you there, wait there with you, or come back for you. Again always on time and looking for you. There wasn't any problems at the group, although it could be intimading to first time travellers on an Island.
NEGATIVES: The Hot tub was never acutally "hot", and it appeared to be "dirty" although the staff said it was always cloudy...
Also, the pool is NOT HEATED so it can be cold at night, otherwise everything is fantastic.
MUST BRING!: BUG SPRAY/ AFTER BITE/ CALAMINE LOTION, if your like me and mosquito's love you then make sure you travel with bug stuff as the bugs are mighty hungry, but hey, its so worth the bug issue as its an African wilderness what else does one expect.
MONEY: On average, you will need about $100.00USD-$150.00USD a day to have a comfortable time at this resort, all depending if you intend on grocery shopping or going out to eat. Personally, I think that going out to eat is more worth it, as the groceries are quite expensive.
- Bring BOTH USD and JAMAICAN MONEy
- All places accept both, however, when dealing with locals Jamaican money is better as you don't need to make the conversion etc, and its gets confusing.
Right now for CND and USD its about: 1000 Jamaican Dollars is $12.00 USD approx.
500 Jamacian Dollars is $6.00 USD approx.
100 Jamaican Dollars is $1.25 USD approx.
Have a great time, and please look out for Richard and Janet, the best dynamic duo looking out for all of your needs (Janet even sewed my boyfriends pants! now that is service!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the stunning cliffs of West end Negril, Villas Sur Mer offers luxurious accommodations that offer privacy, and tranquility. Villas Sur Mer is only steps away from the cliff divers of the famous Rick's café or a short drive to seven mile beach. We offer unforgettable guests experiences that will leave you wanting to return again and again. Our six bedroom seaside villa is truly the jewel of the cliffs of Negril. It offers a personal Chef and housekeeper and each bedroom has its own en suite bathroom. The breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea can be seen while sipping a red stripe at your own private bar, in the hot tub or lounging in our private pool, atop the private, most majestic Brazilian hardwood deck which will be yours for your stay. Across the road, we have several 1, 2, and 3 bedroom beautifully appointed villas nestled in a tropical garden setting. Each villa comes equipped with a kitchenette and each bedroom has an en suite bathroom. Sit on your private garden veranda and watch the hummingbirds flicker by.....or sip on a refreshing drink poolside at our cascading waterfall pool, with a super large Jacuzzi on another beautiful deck. Don't forget, we also have an underground cave walkway leading to an ocean deck that allows ocean access for swimming/snorkeling in the turquoise waters below. Enjoy a couple's massage on the deck in the am or pm, or yoga, or simply a sun worshipping experience like never before. A Villas Sur Mer vacation will give you long lasting memories that will have you missing Jamaica the moment you get back home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villas Sur Mer reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sur Mer Hotel Negril