“Very Nice Stay”
Review of Villas Sur Mer

Stamford, Connecticut
“Very Nice Stay”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I just got back from my stay at Villas Sur Mer- I stayed there for four nights with my husband and we both very much enjoyed our stay. Lisian (spelling?) and Raquel, the new manager, were very welcoming and solicitous throughout our stay. We stayed in 1B which was a cute, if not a little small, one-bedroom cottage towards the front of the property. The room was immaculate and came wtih everything we needed to cook in the kitchen, which was very helpful since we liked to make our own coffee and breakfast. My ownly complaint about the room, besides being small, had to do with the windows which were covered with brown wooden louvers- this made the room very dark, as these coverings had to be closed in order to keep out the mosquitos which were very bad. But other than that the room was great- the bed was comfy and in general the room was tastefully decorated. Since it was slow season, we pretty much had the entire property to ourselves. We enjoyed the beautiful lagoon pool and poolside bar. Unfortunately we could not use the jacuzzi since it was under repair pretty much the whole time we were there. Cliff the bartender was very nice and even went to the store for me to get some things. The property is right across the street from LTU so getting meals was not a problem. LTU has great food but the service, like most places in Jamaica, is very slow.

All in all it was a great trip and I was sad to leave. We will definitely stay at Villas Sur Mer again but next time I think I will book the honeymoon suite or suite 8 which is bigger and away from the road. I should also mention that the owner, Peter, gave me a generous discount on the room, which I appreciated.

Oh, one last thing, the grounds are really lovely. You feel like you are staying in a jungle. It is a very romantic setting.

Feel free to email me at bacoppola@msn.com if you have any questions about the property.

BethAnn

Room Tip: If you are looking for more space I would suggest 6 down (the honeymoon suite) or 8 which is in the...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BethAnn914

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dallas
Reviewed 15 June 2013

If you are looking for a property that will treat you like loyalty, you have found your location. Kimi and her wonderful staff pampered us from the time we begin planning our trip until we left. It was our 10 year wedding anniversary, Kimi went out of her way to ensure every detail was taken care of. I had a beautiful boutique and an amazing photographer. And a memorable ceremony in the caves.

Since the big house was not being used, we were able utilize the pool and jacuzzi. This was great! We were able to watch the sunset privately every night. Next door to Rick's minus the craziness.

The rooms and entire property were immaculate. The groundskeeper was hard at work from sun up to sun down. Cliff the bartender,Richard, Daniel the security officer and Kimi's assistant ( I never got her name) went above and beyond every single day. We always felt safe.

The property is in walking distance to Rick's and several nice restaurants. The guy next door selling jerk chicken was the best!

This was an amazing vacation and I can't wait to return!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keysha214
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
We were so delighted you chose Villas Sur Mer for your special event. What a treat it was to read this review. On behalf of the VSM family - Heartfelt thanks for posting such lovely thoughts and recollections of your vacation here. Villas Sur Mer is a special property made even moreso by the guests we receive.

We really enjoyed hosting you and your husband and were very happy to help you plan your renewal ceremony. Happier still that you enjoyed it. I imagine that getting married the second time to the same person must be even nicer than the first time. We miss you both - you guys are a beautiful couple and so please allow us to extend -best wishes as you continue your journey together. Really looking forward to welcoming you back. Until then...

Kemilee-Ann Williams
Reviewed 14 June 2013

If you want secluded luxury with a big smile this is the place for you.after finding them fully booked the owners bent over backwards to provide us with a two bedroom villa for the same price as a single.the villas are immaculate and beautifully furnished to a high standard .and they are walking distance from a small market and the best restaurants in negril. The sunsets are stunning and the hidden cave is the place to enjoy a perfect massage.however what makes this place truly special are the staff always helpful and attentive with a big smile and kimee is the star of the show ,with her friendly professional manner she made our holiday truly memorable whilst making us feel like part of the family.if you stay here you will have a very chilled holiday and a great time they won't let you leave unhappy.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank John H
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
Thanks for posting such a great review of your stay here at Villas Sur Mer. We pride ourselves on offering great accomodations and you were so kind to give compliments about that. Above all though is the VSM Service that is second to none - anywhere. We were honoured you chose to spend your vacation time with us and that is a feeling we carry to each and every guest. I am proud you felt it too ...it's the VSM way. Hope to see you on the return ...thanks again for taking the time to say such wonderful things about your experience here at VSM ...much love from the VSM team - take care and until we see you again...

Kemilee Ann Williams
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had our destination wedding at Villas Sur Mer last month and it was absolutely one of the best experiences of my life! All of my guests had a wonderful time and VSM treated us like royalty. Some highlights:

- We originally planned to rent out the entire property but fell a little short. However, we still had the entire place to ourselves! Nothing compares to renting out an entire property for all of your closest fam and friends.

- We opted to have them make our meals and they were superb. It was the perfect mix of local and American cuisine.

- Kimmi, who managed the property, went out of her way to me me and my now-hubby feel comfortable. We were horribly stressed about the wedding, and she talked to us, was very reasonable about the rates, and was just a pleasant person.

- The entire staff was super sweet.

- The jacuzzi on the lagoon side is the best ever! It's ginormous! There was about 30 of us and we all easily fit in there - makes the perfect night cap. Even better, because this is a private property, they don't have the silly rules about when you can use the pool and jacuzzi. It's all yours for when you want it- even late at night.

- Everybody LOVED the main villa. I was concerned that people would not want to share the property and would prefer the bungalows, but the villa was an absolute hit.

Overall, VSM made this the best experience ever. We never got the chance to meet Peter (the owner) but he was super reasonable and nice with every interaction. If I had to pick on something, I would point out that since this isn't a full resort they don't have a lot of the amenities like a fitness center, multiple food options, or activities. But its a different product so hey...

We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Choose the seaside villa if possible. Worth the money. The internet didn't work in #8 when we we...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Ok so this does not happen often but here goes - your review made me speechless : )
THANK YOU SO MUCH !

All VSM weddings are labours of love and tears and joy !

You guys were a vision of love and we will never forget - EVER ....

Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness and thank you for trusting us to help you realise the wedding of your dreams !

Thanks for your kind comments about the food,ammenities, staff and the Seaside Villa - it remains just the best venue for weddings and activities before and after every VSM wedding event.

Here at VSM myself and staff will do ANY and EVERYTHING to see to it that our guests are happy and I am so happy this reflected in your VSM experience.

WE CAN'T WAIT TO HAVE YOU BOTH BACK - YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TOO - THEY WERE AWESOME !!!

I know it will not be too long in the coming so until then...

Walk Good : )
Kemilee-Ann Williams
Austin, TX
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We spent 3 nights at Villas Sur Mer in #6 down. Overall the place is beautiful, pictures truly do not do it justice and the people were some of the nicest we've ever met. Why not a perfect 5? They were pretty darn good, but there were some small things that didn't quite live up to our expectations when celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary.

Extraordinary - Probably the most amazing experience we had this trip was the sea cave massages with Lance and Claudette. Magical, wonderful, I cannot put into words how great it was. I was a little skeptical about the cave (would it be sticky, how private) but it ended up being perfect. We get regular massages and this took the massage to a whole new level. Others during our stay that were extraordinary were Donna, who kept our villa perfect and was available if we needed anything. And I loved Kimi, she and Elysia (sp?) hugged us into the resort and truly know the meaning of hospitality. They also went above and beyond on our last day and let us use one of the other villas so we could relax and check out late. Villa #2 is also quite darling and would be a nice place to stay.

Exquisite - The villa itself was exquisite. The furnishings were beautiful and clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and the linens were excellent (I'm a little like the princess and the pea). The AC, when needed, kept the entire villa cool. I was concerned about bugs since the windows were not screened, but whatever they use kept them away. Not even any ants in the kitchen. We loved and miss our little porch where we would sit with our homemade cocktails in the evening. The snorkeling cove was beautiful, unfortunately, my DH's hand brushed against some sea urchins so we did not get to enjoy much snorkeling while we were there. The cave path under the road to the cove was great. I do not like heights so it was an easy way for me to get down the cliff without being scared. Highly recommend this cliff location for people who have heights issues. Also, we did get to use the big house for an afternoon while they were between guests. It is truly exquisite and we enjoyed spending time by the pool, with the beautiful view and then sunset with the Rick's craziness close but not in the middle of it.

Ordinary - My only suggestion for the villa - please consider providing coffee. You have a coffee pot; it has a gold filter so you don't need filters. But a pack of coffee and some coffee service would be nice, even if just for the first day with a note or something that it is only for the first day. Also, we could not figure out room service? We had menus for LTU pub but no-one ever answered the phone number when we called.

Ordinary (con't) - The day we arrived there was a large birthday party celebration that was in the big house and several of the villas. The other guests were very nice, but the staff concentrated on their needs, anything we needed - we had to ask for. No pool bar available for all but the last afternoon we were there - we did ask multiple times upon arrival, I really wanted one of those nice rum punches I saw walking by, but it was always - "be right back". Then the next two days the bar by the pool was closed. We didn't die of thirst, we did have LTU pub right there and we had stopped and stocked the fridge. Richard deserted us on the beach (on the day of our 20th anniversary) and we had to scramble to get a cab and barely made our massages (hate being rushed and sweaty going to a massage), a simple "I can't make it find your own ride" would have been much better than saying I'll be there if you can't make it. Then the last day he was supposed to drive us to IA and again - no go, we paid the nice lady he arranged. I was really confused - was he supposed to be available for short local trips? Did we not tip him enough (not that we had much of an opportunity)? We gave up and took care of transportation ourselves for dinners on other nights. Not a huge deal, just tell us we have to take care of our own transportation so our expectations are set correctly. We know how to get around in Negril, this was not our first trip. And it was uncomfortable to have them arrange someone without any idea of the cost or having the cost negotiated up front, that is Negril 101.

I believe any issues we had were minor, please don't get me wrong, we ended up having a great anniversary day - massages and dinner at a wonderful table at Ivans that Kimi had arranged. I do believe we could have called or asked for more, just not the type of people we are - and overall we did have a really great time at a beautiful property. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jodi_123
Chicago
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My new husband and I stayed here from February 18th to the 26th with our closest family and friends, as we were getting married on the property on February 23rd. From the time we arrived we were welcomed like family. Kimi, Richard, Cliff, Donna, Lecian, Dain, as well as the rest of the staff and security made us feel right at home. They met every request we had and went above and beyond to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. This is unlike any other resort or property I have stayed at because of the personal attention you receive from the staff. Their job is to make sure you are happy and taken care of, and they are more than happy to do it. Everyone greets you with a smile, everyone knows your name, and they genuinely want to make sure you are having a good time.

The property is also gorgeous. The cottages are all unique in their own way, and they are situated on a lovely tropical path that leads back to the lagoon-like pool and the biggest jacuzzi I have ever seen! We spent many a late night enjoying both of them, with Cliff there to make a late-night run for us for jerk chicken, and to make his famous cliff-hangers and dirty bananas. We also stayed at the seaside villa from Thursday to Monday with our wedding party. There we were greeted with a hug from Donna, the main housekeeper. Donna is like having your mom around, making sure you are happy and that everything is ok at all times. The seaside villa is GORGEOUS. 6 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms, with a private pool and jacuzzi, and ridiculous views of the sea. Waking up to that view every morning cannot be beat.

We hired Ophellia McKnight to plan our wedding at Villas Sur Mer and are glad that we did. When our wedding day came everything ran smoothly and we couldn't have been happier.

This trip was unforgettable, and was made that way because of the type of property it is and the staff that are running it. If you want to have a unique, personable, fantastic experience while on vacation, then you have to come here. You are missing out if you don't!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank raych81
reggaeboyz1, General Manager at Villas Sur Mer, responded to this review, 27 April 2013
What a beautiful review ...heartfelt thanks from the Villas Sur Mer Team. We are so thrilled you enjoyed stay with us and ecstatic about your wedding day ! Best wishes for a lifetime of peace and love with each other and may your journey through life be blessed with success!

We are happy we were able to deliver a lifetime of happy memories for your nuptials and will be so happy when you return - your family and friends who shared your wedding stay and activities were truly wonderful and we hope to see many of them again.

Thanks also for your kind comments about the staff - they are really happy you remembered them and on all accounts it was our sincere pleasure to deliver the personal service that Villas Sur Mer is now famous for.

I agree the property is gorgeous - and we are continuing to improve - hurry back and experience the changes please : ) . Again thanks for taking the time to remember - We will always remember you ...until we meet again -
Kemilee Williams
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I had the fortune of being invited to a wedding hosted at VSM. We are so glad we got to experience Negril this way. From check in (there's NOTHING like a hug from Kimi) to the check out (tears and more hugs from all the staff), we were treated like honored guests.

For our first three nights, we shared cabin 5 with another couple. We had the upstairs bedroom, and with all windows open, we didn't even need to turn the air on. The breeze was amazing, and the bed was very comfy. (I would say I slept well, but the stupid goat next door seemed to have other ideas for me.) I loved the coffee, the fresh fruit, and the friendly staff that not only hung up my hastily discarded clothes (who has time for folding when there is a hot tub waiting?!) and also kept our room looking in tip top shape.

While on the garden side, we had the opportunity to enjoy the bar (pina coladas from Cliffie are the VERY best), enjoy some late-night hot tubbing in the massive hot tub, and basically just really get onto island time. (Trust me, it's much better than my city time to which I'm accustomed!) The staff was marvelous, taking the time to get to know our names and always quick with a friendly smile.

We moved across the street to the seaside villa for our last few days. Honestly, if you can get six couples together for a trip, you would do yourself a disservice not to stay in this gorgeous house. The six bedrooms each have their own bathroom (plenty of privacy) and have an amazing kitchen/living area for its guests. The pool (with basketball hoop) and hot tub were a great hit for our group too.

My dear friend's wedding day was magical. The staff at VSM worked seamlessly with the wedding coordinator to make her day wonderful down to the hasty umbrella disbursement in the middle of the ceremony.

Some notes:
-You do have ocean access from the garden side, but you have to take the stone steps under the road.
-Take care when entering the ocean, there are lots of sea urchins around the ladder.
-Make sure you give the bartender your room number for ease of ordering drinks. He doesn't accept cash, but you can bill to your cabin and pay upon check out.
-There is no beach access at this resort, but they do have reciprocity with another resort for use of their beach.

Enjoy! We had the time of our lives here.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ajzmann
Thanks for your thoughtful review it was " Perfect" - The Villas Sur Mer team are so happy that you took the time to write and post one ! It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback ! We love being a part of Villas Sur Mer and as I love to say and "often" at VSM - We love to love our guests and for guests like yourself - all I can say is WOW !

So with all this love floating around in a spectacular location - we love that you loved your stay !
Weddings at Villas Sur Mer are always magical ! It presents a unique opportunity for friends and family who made the trek to Jamaica to share in the wonderful nuptials. Thanks for coming ! Sincere thanks also for your beautiful comments about the property, the ammenities and also the staff : )
Best wishes and we look forward to your return - until then .....

Walk Good