“Villa Sur Mer ruined my wedding experience”
Review of Villas Sur Mer

Villas Sur Mer
Georgia
“Villa Sur Mer ruined my wedding experience”
Reviewed 3 February 2010

My wife and I found Villa Sur Mer on line while investigating affordable, but nice, places on an island to have our wedding. My wife worked tirelessly over several months to work out the details for our visit and planned everything so that it would be perfect for our family and close friends. There were 26 people in our group and we had the entire main house and several villas on the other side of the street. Unfortunately, our problems started stacking up from the beginning of our stay.

First, the cook we had coordinated to assist us with our pre and post wedding parties attempted to charge us a ridiculously high rate for his services. Although the owner, Peter, was surprisingly not in Jamaica during our trip, he called in and talked to the cook and his manager (Magonna) and apologized for their efforts to get additional money from us.

Second, after we had left Jamaica and were on our honeymoon, Peter contacted my wife and accused her of all kinds of fraudulent activities. The truth is that my wife and I were leaving Jamaica a day earlier than the rest of our party and I went to see Magonna to settle our tab. Since we were paying for ourselves as well as three of our family members, we wanted to make sure the bill was paid. My mother also came to that meeting so she could settle her tab as well. My mother and I spent an hour with Magonna and paid exactly what she asked us to pay without discussion. I would have paid whatever she asked. I thought everything was fine and left. We are all professional people and we don't have any interest in not paying people for their services.

Approximately four days later on my honeymoon, Peter contacted my wife and accused her of all sorts of horrible things. He said that he was going to charge us for a room that wasn't used, when whatever changes that were made were done by MAGONNA, not our party. He also said that our group underpaid Magonna by $600. He said he was going to charge the credit cards of each of the offendors (who hailed from all over the country and Bermuda) if he didn't hear from us immediately. Besides the fact that he was suggesting he was going to illegally charge people's credit cards, and besides the fact that he should not be maintaining personal banking information after the fact, and besides the fact that he obviously wasn't enough of a business person to communicate the charges to Magonna before he left the island, he should have begun the conversation by owning up to the fact that Magonna had made some sort of error. I asked for receipts so that we could verify what he was saying because Magonna had clearly labored over whatever the charges were for a long time before we left. He was resistant. I finally told him I would personally pay the $600 to avoid an effort by him to threaten the guests of our wedding. But it has left a horrible taste in my mouth because I feel like Villa Sur Mer made an accounting error and thought the best way to correct their error was to disparage, threaten and try to intimidate, me, my wife, family and friends for their errors.

I don't think they are bad people and clearly have a nice place. All of this ended in a horrible experience for my wife and I, however, and I wanted to share our experience.

Villa Sur Mer is a nice place to stay, but I have to admit my wife and I will never visit there again. It's really sad that we cannot even fully enjoy an important experience in our lives together because of bad business practices.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
23 Thank Love2limit

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
illinois
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My husband and I were married at Villa Sur Mer on February 2009, we stayed in the large villa for three days (the wedding and reception was on deck, the cocktail hour in between was at the lagoon) the majority of our family stayed in the newly finished lagoon cottages. In all we had around 28 friends and family at our wedding with everyone staying at Villa Sur Mer.
The accommodations are superb, think of W hotels without the snooty staff. The atmosphere is intimate and quite, and the staff are simply the most wonderful and caring people that we have met in Jamaica (this was our 6th trip). I don't quite remember how I stumbled upon Villa Sur Mer, but I impressed all of our guest (including my new in-laws :) by finding this diamond in the rough.
The deck of the large villa is where everyone gathered during the day. We had Patrick cook us a late breakfast and lunch every day. We discussed a menu with Patrick, then he and Richard would go shopping returning with groceries, the receipt and our change! Richard would take our guests anywhere they wanted to go, including many trips to the supermarket for supplies (red stripe, rum and coffee!).
After the wedding and the departing of our friends and family, my husband and I stayed in one of the lagoon cottages for the next week. Despite us both getting sea sick when we went out to the reef, we had the best vacation of our lives and could not believe how lucky we were to find Villa Sur Mer. One of the things that makes Villa Sur Mer so perfect is it was very well planed. All of the vegetation on the lagoon side was planted before the the cottages were constructed, so by the time the cottages were finished all of the plants were mature. This created such a lush tropical atmosphere, you barely notice other guests.
The other reviews of this hotel are spot on, you become friends with and feel like family with the staff. The beds and linens were so comfortable and the kitchens in every cottage were perfect for our families. Although we did not have the pleasure of meeting the owner Peter, his staff provided for all of our needs. All of our guest had said it was the best place they have ever stayed and want to go back. No one (including me) could believe how truly fantastic the wedding/vacation turned out and it is all because of Villa Sur Mer.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank ambacb
miami
Reviewed 11 December 2009

This was the most amazing place! Nowhere in the world can compare, you must see it to believe it. We stayed in the 6 bdr villa and it was just heaven on earth. The views really do take your breath away, you won't want to look away. We left the house a couple times but went right back and decided that there is no need to see anything else. You walk from the deck down to the ocean and float in the water for extreme relaxation. The house is spacious, all bdrs have own bathroom, theres tv, internet, international calling. We also went over to the cottages where the pool and jacuzzi are amazing. You can walk down the cave and sit on the edge of the ocean watching the stars. The staff treats you like family waiting on your every need making sure at all times you are completely satisfied. The owner Peter may be the nicest and most genuine man we have ever met truly wanting to make your stay is as amazing as possible. I could write a book on how amazing this experience has been and I can guarantee we will be going back at least a couple of times a year. I recomment everybody go, your life can not be complete until you have gone to Villa Sur Mer!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank sugapie
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 10 November 2009

This is a beautiful place, the pool area and spa are so serene. Furthermore, the folks at this resort are absolutely wonderful.

Unfortunately, our unit, which was well decorated, had a cracked sink, a severely leaking toilet and roof (water was leaking streaming onto the flat screen and our luggage) and no hot water.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ivanhoe-Traveler
Capitol Heights, Maryland
Reviewed 14 August 2009

We totally love love love this place. Every thing on their website is just as it is in person, often times we see the nice beautiful pictures on websites then in person it's a different story, not Villas Sur Mer.

First, the staff is magnificent, from Magonna (Manager) to Richard, Randy and even Mr. Singh the security, you can tell they take pride in what they do, you can tell in their attitude that they're just not there because they have to, all the staff members treated us like family, they were eager to help us with whatever we needed by any means necessary.

The owner, Peter, he's a wonderful man. He was there to meet us, and made sure we were comfortable and didn't need anything.

The next time we're in Jamiaca, we're definitely staying at Villas Sur Mer.

The property is small and intimate, which was the reason for us choosing this property. We didn't feel like another guest, we felt like we were family. I plan to encourage anyone going to Jamaica to stay at Villas Sur Mer. The property is close to the action, about 10 minutes taxi ride to the market, local restaurants, night club. Right across the street from Rick's Cafe.

Free high speed internet.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nattysp2000
Indianapolis
Reviewed 27 June 2009

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon and, I must say, there is no better place for romance and unbelievable service! We stayed in the laggoon cottage atop a cascade of water falling into the pool - the view on the property is simply spectacular. Our unwavering thanks to Magonna, Donna, Richard, Carol, Randy, and Shanghai for their warm welcome. We will absolutely be back!!!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Collingwood, Canada
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Villas Sur Mer was an incredible experience.
I went with my sister and we felt we had died and went to heaven. The beds are so comfy as well as the pillows and linens. The staff became like family and we actually cried when we left. Peter (the owner that we were so happy to meet) has created something wonderful... You feel completely relaxed and at peace, yet there are tons of attractions just steps away. The cave to the ocean is so gorgeous and so private-what an amazing spot to get married or share a bottle of champagne!
There is Ricks across the street but it is noisy and overpriced and does not give you the experience of being in Negril. Try instead to locate a beach Reggae concert somewhere and don't forget to look at the stars! Villas Sur Mer would be a perfect wedding venue the villas are so perfectly appointed yet private. We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family