“Villas Sur Mer was Paradise found!”
Review of Villas Sur Mer

Villas Sur Mer
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Where do you start when you have such a beautiful place to describe? It was a marvelous adventure and holiday we had in Jamaica, and the Villas Sur Mer left us with a wonderful lasting impression of tropical beauty. We were in our own cottage getaway, with the lagoon pool as our backdrop, and total privacy, which we appreciated so much. Everyone was so helpful, and truly a pleasure. We had organized to have groceries sent to the cottage upon our arrival, and it was the best idea yet. We had fresh fruits and tropical juices at our disposal and a wonderful private veranda that gave us a bird's eye view of the resort. We sucked on mangoes during the day, and refreshed in the glorious lagoon pool every afternoon. We even took a "skinny dip" during one of those hot evenings. For days, we were the only ones at the resort, so it was really quiet, but there was so much to do in Negril. We loved the private grotto cove, with the underground pathway, so romantic. We can’t stop thinking about how beautiful our surroundings were. We even got a chance to visit the real Villa Sur Mer across the road; perfect for a family gathering or getaway. I must say, our only regret was not putting on enough insect repellant; lots of mosquitoes. Apart from that, hubby and I had no other complaints. The pictures don’t do the place justice. Many thanks to Richard, Margaret, Magonna, and all the others who made our stay pleasant. We will be back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaribbeanQueen1991
There are newer reviews for Villas Sur Mer

Reviewed 13 July 2010

My husband and I just returned from a vacation at the Lagoon Cottages in Negril Jamaica. I travel often and this is the first time that I have taken the time to write a review. This place warrants it! The property is beautifully landscaped, the cottages are clean and nicely decorated. And it is located right across the street from Ricks Cafe and other nice places to eat (Visit Three Dives Jerk Center). The pool and its towering waterfall transports you away to another world. It is also very economical.
My husband and I really enjoyed staying at the lovely Villas Sur Mer. It was an experience we will not soon forget. It was total luxury. The management and staff offered the best in customer service. I could not have asked for a better stay. Special thanks to Richard, Fletcher, Shanghai and Magoona.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dkdkd
Reviewed 22 June 2010

Viias Sur Mer welcomed us with open arms, ready to accomodate our every need. The staff were exceptionally warm and treated us like royalty. We stayed in a cottage, which was decorated with sharp island flair. The bed was soooo comfortable...and the A.C. was a welcome retreat! The grounds are manicured and gorgeous...a plethora of tropical plants...wish we could take some home to the states. The staff provided all our transportaion around Negril...including a cell phone for our convenience. Very well managed; professional and personalized service to help make our dreams come true and create memories of relaxing tranquil paradise!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2010

We just returned from Villas Sur Mer, Negril where we hosted our wedding for 47 friends and family and all I can say is WOW! Originally booked at The Caves and chose to cancel and book here thanks to a tip from an awesome Wedding Planner - Ari. This is a spectacular location and even better than the website depicts. The staff, accommodation and comfort level are second to none. We have traveled to Negril 2-3 times a year for several years now and I can tell you nothing compares. We stayed at the 6 bedroom Villa for 3 nights including the wedding night and upon arrival it took my breath away. They have every luxury you could imagine and a vista that appears straight out of your dreams. Like us, our guests were blown away by the location and its views. Robert or "Master Chef" as we came to call him is just that - a master at his craft. Donna is the most kind and discreet dream weaver and Magonna is so accommodating. If you ever have a chance to stay here I promise you - Rockhouse, The Caves, nothing even compares. It's pricey but worth every penny.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank SweetJamaicaTours
Reviewed 17 February 2010

As we write this review, we are seated on the balcony of our villa, sadly waiting for the bus to take us back to Montego Bay Airport, thinking back on a perfect 8-day vacation.

The Property

The pictures on their website do not accurately reflect the heaven-on-earth feel of the property. The jungle-like vegetation creates immediate intimacy. Each villa has a distinctive architecture (from the mission-style church to the chinese-style villa #4 to the polynesian #8). This creates a visual interest that is absent from the large resorts where only the numbers beside each room differentiate one building from another.

There is one important aspect that is not explicitly stated on their website: only the seaside villa is on the actual cliffs. The cottages are a separate property across the street. Their only access to the cliffs is through the grotto tunnel under the street -- a very romantic set-up with the advantage that there is ABSOLUTELY no street noise nor noises from Rick's Cafe. If the Seaside villa is not rented, the staff will gladly open the gate to use the clifftop deck and pool. We preferred the stay at the lagoon pool with its setting in a lush tropical rock garden and waterfall.

The Cottages

The cottages are built along a central path perpendicular to the street. If you prefer to lounge in the grotto or the seaside deck, the lower-numbered cottages will be closer. If you prefer to lounge at the lagoon pool, the higher-numbered cottage will be closer. Cottages 4-8 are larger and are staggered along the property, offering a little more privacy than cottages 1-3. Cottage #8 (ours) sits directly atop the waterfall and is the last one on the property. We enjoyed the added privacy created by the pool, which became our own private backyard, and the total absence of foot traffic. In our opinion, cottage #7 is the one that offers the least privacy as its front porch faces the pool's sundeck.

Second-floor cottages will be cooler as the drafts and winds can freely flow through them but they will be noisier as there is less of a barrier to block the sounds of barking/howling dogs and music from nearby local bars and homes -- bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

The beds and linens are very comfortable and the air conditioning units in each make for a very comfortable sleep.

The Staff

Magonna, Richard, Randy, Fletcher, Mr Singh, Donna, Carol and Shakes are very friendly, always making sure that you are well taken care of, and always within easy reach via the cellphone you receive upon check-in. Richard will gladly drive you to the local grocery store to pick up anything you need.

Restaurants

Of course, each villa comes with a kitchen, so you need not ever leave the property should you desire to stay. Bring a can rim opener though if you intend to cook: strangely, none are to be found! It seems that half of the top-10 tripadvisor restaurants in Negril are located with walking distance of the Villas. We preferred Ivan's (at Catcha Falling Star) and the Hungry Lion. For lunch, make sure to try Alice's and Ras Rody's (the roadside stand immediately after Alice's). Jerk chicken from the vendor next to the property (who caters to the tours buses coming into Rick's) is very good as well, but only available between 4-6pm.

The Cove

The surf can be strong so some days it will be impossible to swim. We recommend always using fins. The snorkeling was not the best in the Carribean, but the most interesting was around the coral heads at the foot of the grotto ladder. There was the usual Carribean reef-life (blue tangs, surgeon fish, soldier fish, trumpet fish, urchins) but we also sighted a small school of small barracudas and eight foot-long squids. The cave on the left side is home to hundreds of bats. Night snorkeling revealed the different life that comes out at night: lobsters, shrimps, sea cucumbers, even a small spotted moray out on the hunt. We saw one lion fish -- a beautiful but nasty invasive non-native species.

Rick's Cafe

We had to shake our head at this carnival. Hundreds of people bussing from Montego Bay and from as far as Ocho Rios (a 4hr bus trip one way!) to spend 90 minutes in a modern, American-style bar. This place prints money! Our advice: go to Ivan's at Catcha to watch the sunset then go to Rick's once the hordes have left if you absolutely want to try cliff jumping. Otherwise, skip it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trufflelvr
Reviewed 3 February 2010

My wife and I found Villa Sur Mer on line while investigating affordable, but nice, places on an island to have our wedding. My wife worked tirelessly over several months to work out the details for our visit and planned everything so that it would be perfect for our family and close friends. There were 26 people in our group and we had the entire main house and several villas on the other side of the street. Unfortunately, our problems started stacking up from the beginning of our stay.

First, the cook we had coordinated to assist us with our pre and post wedding parties attempted to charge us a ridiculously high rate for his services. Although the owner, Peter, was surprisingly not in Jamaica during our trip, he called in and talked to the cook and his manager (Magonna) and apologized for their efforts to get additional money from us.

Second, after we had left Jamaica and were on our honeymoon, Peter contacted my wife and accused her of all kinds of fraudulent activities. The truth is that my wife and I were leaving Jamaica a day earlier than the rest of our party and I went to see Magonna to settle our tab. Since we were paying for ourselves as well as three of our family members, we wanted to make sure the bill was paid. My mother also came to that meeting so she could settle her tab as well. My mother and I spent an hour with Magonna and paid exactly what she asked us to pay without discussion. I would have paid whatever she asked. I thought everything was fine and left. We are all professional people and we don't have any interest in not paying people for their services.

Approximately four days later on my honeymoon, Peter contacted my wife and accused her of all sorts of horrible things. He said that he was going to charge us for a room that wasn't used, when whatever changes that were made were done by MAGONNA, not our party. He also said that our group underpaid Magonna by $600. He said he was going to charge the credit cards of each of the offendors (who hailed from all over the country and Bermuda) if he didn't hear from us immediately. Besides the fact that he was suggesting he was going to illegally charge people's credit cards, and besides the fact that he should not be maintaining personal banking information after the fact, and besides the fact that he obviously wasn't enough of a business person to communicate the charges to Magonna before he left the island, he should have begun the conversation by owning up to the fact that Magonna had made some sort of error. I asked for receipts so that we could verify what he was saying because Magonna had clearly labored over whatever the charges were for a long time before we left. He was resistant. I finally told him I would personally pay the $600 to avoid an effort by him to threaten the guests of our wedding. But it has left a horrible taste in my mouth because I feel like Villa Sur Mer made an accounting error and thought the best way to correct their error was to disparage, threaten and try to intimidate, me, my wife, family and friends for their errors.

I don't think they are bad people and clearly have a nice place. All of this ended in a horrible experience for my wife and I, however, and I wanted to share our experience.

Villa Sur Mer is a nice place to stay, but I have to admit my wife and I will never visit there again. It's really sad that we cannot even fully enjoy an important experience in our lives together because of bad business practices.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
23  Thank Love2limit
Reviewed 16 January 2010

My husband and I were married at Villa Sur Mer on February 2009, we stayed in the large villa for three days (the wedding and reception was on deck, the cocktail hour in between was at the lagoon) the majority of our family stayed in the newly finished lagoon cottages. In all we had around 28 friends and family at our wedding with everyone staying at Villa Sur Mer.
The accommodations are superb, think of W hotels without the snooty staff. The atmosphere is intimate and quite, and the staff are simply the most wonderful and caring people that we have met in Jamaica (this was our 6th trip). I don't quite remember how I stumbled upon Villa Sur Mer, but I impressed all of our guest (including my new in-laws :) by finding this diamond in the rough.
The deck of the large villa is where everyone gathered during the day. We had Patrick cook us a late breakfast and lunch every day. We discussed a menu with Patrick, then he and Richard would go shopping returning with groceries, the receipt and our change! Richard would take our guests anywhere they wanted to go, including many trips to the supermarket for supplies (red stripe, rum and coffee!).
After the wedding and the departing of our friends and family, my husband and I stayed in one of the lagoon cottages for the next week. Despite us both getting sea sick when we went out to the reef, we had the best vacation of our lives and could not believe how lucky we were to find Villa Sur Mer. One of the things that makes Villa Sur Mer so perfect is it was very well planed. All of the vegetation on the lagoon side was planted before the the cottages were constructed, so by the time the cottages were finished all of the plants were mature. This created such a lush tropical atmosphere, you barely notice other guests.
The other reviews of this hotel are spot on, you become friends with and feel like family with the staff. The beds and linens were so comfortable and the kitchens in every cottage were perfect for our families. Although we did not have the pleasure of meeting the owner Peter, his staff provided for all of our needs. All of our guest had said it was the best place they have ever stayed and want to go back. No one (including me) could believe how truly fantastic the wedding/vacation turned out and it is all because of Villa Sur Mer.

• Stayed: February 2009