We stayed at Villas Sur Mer 11/17/10-11/25/10 with a large group for our wedding. Our families and friends rented the lagoon cottages and we shared the seaside villa with a group of friends. This place is absolute paradise. It is a perfect mix of natural rustic charm and comfortable luxury. We spent each day jumping from our own private cliff and swimming in the blue lagoon. Some days we would swim along the cliff side for hours and simply swim up to other properties like Catch a Falling Star for lunch. The water there is completely invigorating and renewing- better than a day at the spa. We watched the sunset from the deck each evening. Words can't even describe the natural pristine beauty here.
The rooms were very comfortable and cozy. We would sleep with the windows open and look out at the star filled sky and listen to the ocean crash against the cliff. Our room also had chandeliers made from thin strips of mother of pearl that would softly ting like wind chimes. It was enchanting. I happened to see a shooting star and make a wish the night before our wedding - kismet.
The staff here are warm, welcoming and utterly sensational. Magonna, the property manager, was very accommodating. She made sure everyone was taken care of and comfortable and did all our shopping for food and was really able to get the most for our money. We fed everyone in the house for around $15 per person per day, although we did splurge one night with a delicious fresh seafood extravaganza. Chef Bull was excellent. He is a wonderful chef and a lovely person. He would cook up something anytime someone was hungry and was more than obliging to prepare additional food if other guests would come by. Our house keeper Donna really had her work cut out for her with our cantankerous group. She was very warm and did a great job of keeping the house comfortable. Richard was an extraordinary concierge. He could arrange any adventure you would want to get in to. He even took some of our guests on a tour of the island via scooter and would happily drive anyone where ever they wanted to go. Mr. Sing, the security guard, was wonderful. The poor man must have had no sleep. We were up into the early morning most nights and Mr. Sing would stay guard until everyone went to bed and make sure all the doors were locked and everyone was safe before he would leave.
This property is the perfect venue for a wedding. We had approximately 70 guests and a live band and everyone had room to sit, mingle, eat and dance. We had a sunset wedding on the deck that was perfectly amazing. I got my dress at Nicole Miller. She has an excellent collection of perfect destination wedding gowns.
When planning a destination wedding you really need an excellent wedding planner. We used Ophellia McKnight with A Bridal Affaire. www.bridalaffairdestinations.com. 416-938-5465. She was sensational and handled every detail from making travel accommodations and airport transfer arrangements for a large group all arriving and leaving at different times, catering, marriage documents, ceremony and reception set up and decor, renting equipment for the band we flew in, guest list and gifts, hair and makeup and itinerary, not to mention the countless emails over 9 months while we were planning the wedding. We had such a large group that we had people staying at several properties all of which she recommended and arranged. She even suggested and set up a rehearsal dinner at the Westender where we had a bonfire, jerk chicken grill, and drinks made out of fresh coconuts. She charges a flat fee and no commission. She did alot of searching and negotiating to make sure we got the best prices. My recommendation to anyone planning a destination wedding is to contact Ophellia immediately and let her handle every detail. I may be a little partial, but this was the best wedding I have ever been to and everyone had a great time.
For photography we used Scott Gunnells www.nylaphoto.com. (845)417-7341. His style is candid photojournalism. In-fact we called him the ninja. He wore all black and snuck around capturing moments. I don't have the photos yet but got a sneak peak and am so excited. He has kind of a rock and role hipster style and uses bright colors and big skies perfect for a Jamaican sunset wedding.
We are fortunate enough to be friends with an awesome jam band Dr. Don and the Boogie Monsters www.facebook.com/.../Dr-Don-and-the-Boogie-Monsters who were nice enough to fly out to Jamaica and totally rock out our wedding. Jamaican bands are expensive and we were able to fly out our own and put them up for 3 nights for the same cost of a local band.
I have a few tips for anyone thinking of having a destination wedding or visiting Villas Sur Mer.
1. Call Ophellia and let her handle everything or book directly with Villas Sur Mer
2. Stay at the Seaside Villa
3. Get a no chip manicure, eyelash extensions and a good brazilian wax- these are essentials when spending alot of time in the water.
4. Do not let anyone put a woven bracelet on you to "welcome you to Jamaica." They are hucksters and will then intimidatingly demand you pay them.
5. Exchange your money to Jamaican currency and have plenty of small bills- some people will short you when changing American currency and no one seems to have change for larger bills.
6. Be sure to tip and they will take great care of you.
7. Get a great camera because you will want to capture this forever.
All in all this has been the best experience of my lifetime, words cannot even explain but the closest is "euphoria." I got a wonderful husband and was surrounded by the people I love in total paradise. Thank you to everyone who made this experience possible.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the stunning cliffs of West end Negril, Villas Sur Mer offers luxurious accommodations that offer privacy, and tranquility. Villas Sur Mer is only steps away from the cliff divers of the famous Rick's café or a short drive to seven mile beach. We offer unforgettable guests experiences that will leave you wanting to return again and again. Our six bedroom seaside villa is truly the jewel of the cliffs of Negril. It offers a personal Chef and housekeeper and each bedroom has its own en suite bathroom. The breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea can be seen while sipping a red stripe at your own private bar, in the hot tub or lounging in our private pool, atop the private, most majestic Brazilian hardwood deck which will be yours for your stay. Across the road, we have several 1, 2, and 3 bedroom beautifully appointed villas nestled in a tropical garden setting. Each villa comes equipped with a kitchenette and each bedroom has an en suite bathroom. Sit on your private garden veranda and watch the hummingbirds flicker by.....or sip on a refreshing drink poolside at our cascading waterfall pool, with a super large Jacuzzi on another beautiful deck. Don't forget, we also have an underground cave walkway leading to an ocean deck that allows ocean access for swimming/snorkeling in the turquoise waters below. Enjoy a couple's massage on the deck in the am or pm, or yoga, or simply a sun worshipping experience like never before. A Villas Sur Mer vacation will give you long lasting memories that will have you missing Jamaica the moment you get back home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Booking.com, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villas Sur Mer reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas Sur Mer Hotel Negril