“Fantasttic stay at affordable price perfect location”
Review of Mom's Place

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Mom's Place
Ranked #9 of 43 Negril B&B and Inns
St.Michael
“Fantasttic stay at affordable price perfect location”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I was there with my best friend about 2 weeks ago and we had a great time. we only spent 5 days as we went on to Trinidad which we absolutely regret. Mom`s place is the perfect location for anybody that wants to have a great time at an affordable price. Mom`s place is directly on 7 mile beach which is just fantastic. The staff is always friendly and very helpful especially Sonica and Malcolm . The rooms are very clean the beds are comfortable and you have security at night we felt safe at all times. The food tastes great especially the ackee and saltfish for breakfast. We looking forward to go back to Mom`s place soon.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank Stephanie S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
paphos
Reviewed 10 April 2012

At last we get to write this review. We spent a week at Mom's Place last August and we had a fantastic time. The welcome we got was second to none. When we arrived we were met by the owners Caesar and Yvette who are lovely. We were shown to our room and we were put right on the front near the beach. Sonica was amazing and nothing was too much trouble. The food was fab and all homemade and cooked from fresh. Paul and I renewed our wedding vowels right on the beach at the front of Mom's place and it was so lovely and very personal to us. We had a lovely meal cooked for by the chef ( sorry I forgot your name) but the food was proper Jamaican home cooked food and so lovely!!!!!!.

What more can I say other than for the price and location it certainly was value for money, very intimate and so friendly it was like being at home. I really take my hat off to Sonica she works very hard and has a wonderful smile and is so helpful. We will be posting up our photos shortly and would like to say that we have been to Jamaica a few times and we have done the five star all inclusive, but mom's place is different and offers a place right on the beach with good simple amenities that is spotless and great value.

We woke up to the sound of the waves each morning and a lovely cooked breakfast at a time to suit us. We were the only couple there and then we met a lovely girl from Alaska who we had a drink or two with.
Overall a great stay and would highly recommend it.

Hello to you all and keep up the good work.

Best wishes
Karen and Paul
Sunny Cyprus

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kazzyp43
kingston jamaica
Reviewed 27 March 2012

love the place really affordable and the staff is so friendly.

Room Tip: any one but the closer to the beach the better although the hotel is on the beach. a room directly o...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank stephy_10
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We (couple in 50's) stayed in February 2012 and loved it - would definitely come back to Negril and stay at Mom's again. It's funny reading the other reviews and agreeing with bits of all of them (+ and -), it's just that the + parts were so good, that the -'s didn't seem to matter so much.

Room was basic but perfect - we were hardly ever in it other than sleep and shower - bed was OK, room to put clothes, towels, functioning shower, ceiling fan and air-con, which we didn't use - why go to Ja from the UK and make it cold????). Sand does get into the room from our feet, but only takes moments to sweep out and the bedding was changed regularly. Our chalet was closest to the beach, on the sand, 50 yards from the sea (with the bar/restaurant on the way for emergencies!), veranda to chill on when it got too hot, sun-loungers available.

Location was absolutely brilliant - easy walk to town on the beach one way, easy walk on the beach to the rest of the bars, resorts, music 'venues', vendors, etc., the other way. You're 2 minutes from the road (which you won't hear) with local shops, nearby ATM, restaurants, and (scary) taxis every second if you need to go out of town or up to the cliffs. For the 'doers' there are plenty of opportunities on your doorstep - Alvin's Glass Bottom Boat tours to the reef for snorkelling or to Rick's Cafe from the sea are great and he moors up outside Mom's. Every morning, we'd wander a few yards to have our morning coffee as the sea lapped our toes - perfect.

Food was fine and a lots of variety. You can eat at Mom's and you've so many other bars/restaurants within a few minutes walk. Don't avoid places because of the way they look, either. Remember, though - this is Jamaica and you have to wait!. There are also snack sellers who parade up and down the beach so you will not go hungry.

Value for money? Well for us from the UK, yes it was. Jamaica isn't especially cheap, but neither did it seem exorbitant so I guess it depends on what you expect. Maybe some of the other feedback reflects that. Mom's certainly seemed value for money to us and we're really looking forward to going back.

Finally, the people at Mom's were fabulous - Caesar and 'Mom', thank you so much for your hospitality, company and and help, many thanks Myers for taxi and tour guide services(!!) and please pass on our thanks to all your staff (especially Sonnica for the flaming Bob Marleys' - beware!). While we were there, there were also lots of returning visitors to Mom's (probably the best recommendation) who were really helpful in the initial acclimatisation and pointing out what's worth doing/avoiding - many thanks especially Lanny and Gayle, if you're reading this.

Room Tip: We had the room nearest the beach and next to the bar/restaurant - you could hear the sea gently lap...
2 Thank Allan018
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Reviewed 1 March 2012

First I'd like to give the pros of this place Malcom and Sonica! If you read this then I want you to know you made our time at Mom's pleasant and we really felt you cared about us while we were with you. If we ever make it back, we'll drop by to see you! The other pro about Mom's is we were in group of 8 so we were nice a close together and we were steps from the sandy beach. Actually this was a bit of a con too. Sand in our room was unavoidable as the sand was right off our porch. Lots like this and so did I until after day 2 when I realized it was up to me to primarily clean my room ans sweep my own floors. So now this brings me to the cons. First let me say if I had paid $50-60 US per night for this room and told I was going to have to clean it and bring extra bath towels then I would not have anything negative to say. BUT I paid $85 US per night for bed and breakfast which I paid in full in cash ( they don't accept credit cards) which was to include daily maid service and all I needed was my beach towel and toiletries. First night we were put in a room in a building across from the rest of our friends; our bed was a rock! Honestly laying in the sand was softer. We did not have any towels or a blanket in our room when we asked for towels that first night we were told the maid was gone we get them in the morning. Ok no problem! In the morning we asked for towels . . . "later" ok no problem . . . Breakfast we were told we could only have porridge or toast and coffee. Day 2 still no towels . . We asked to move rooms to be beside our friends ( and my back and hips could'nt stand the bed anymore). The owner said he had promised the room beside our friends to another couple; at this point I actually had to point out that we'd paid for our rooms with special requests a year prior and the room my friend specifically requested had been given away, that did we finally get to move. It was at this point I also inquired about the socalled breakfast we were supposed to be having this is on day 3, when we were then told that there was a menu which we could order from. Imagine that 3 days and the staff we had been seeing and dealing with had no idea there was a special menu for us. Anyway on day 3 my room finally was cleaned and I finally got towels. Hot water was an issue until we finally were told it is only turned on during specific hours in the day then we started checking our watches so we did not miss the 1 hour opportunity to have a shower. Day 4 my towels we taken to be washed and again no towels for another day and half. We were told the maid was new and this was part of the problem. My group were not comprised of very picky people . . Not by long shot, but as I said considering what we paid to stay at this place we felt very ripped in the services. As a gesture of kindness my travel companions brought lights and gifted them to the hotel and this is how we were treated! As I said in the beginning Sonica and Malcom made our time at Mom's fun and by the last few days things did get better; the maid was shown how to clean the rooms and our breakfast was good! We all felt awful during the first 5 days; made to feel we were asking for the moon and that we were too demanding. I hope things have improved since we were there. There are many places to stay on Negril Beach with much better prices, my advice is to check around.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank MooseJaw40
MA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

If you like a non-frills, basic but clean and safe place, then you will like staying here. The location is perfect - right on the beach! You can walk/swim out quite a long way and still touch the bottom. The water is crystal clear and heavenly to swim in. We often walked for miles up the beach towards the all inclusive places. It was much busier here, yet still quite acceptable. There is plenty to do if you like water sports such as parasailing, jet skiing and snorkeling, or you can just lie back and relax and soak up rays! There are many beach bars, cafes and restaurants to chose from as well as jerk chicken vendors on the roadside. The staff at Mom's place helped us arrange taxi services either into the town, up to the Cliffs area or inland to attractions such as YS falls, and the Appleton Rum place. The drivers they recommended were always excellent.
We liked having the choice to eat when and where we liked, and yet be part of a small homely community. Mom's place fitted the bill perfectly.

stillwater
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Never got to see the place,but I feel I should let others know of my experience. I had booked it for 2 nights. I confirmed my room 2 days before I left and was told all was in order. Upon arrival,I was told there where no rooms available. The person in charge read the confirmation emails,shook her head and said she could put us up in a property 2 properties behind theirs. The property apparently had the same owners,but when your getting a $45 dollar per night place in Negril and it is your girlfriends first time in Jamaica,it's a little scarey. Had dinner there the next night and it was terrible,2 bites and I pushed it away,couldn't even eat it. Actually argued with me on the taste.After the night before, I figured they may go out their way to take care of us but even the service was poor. Never offered us water,had 1 drink with dinner and never came back until she figured out I wasn't eating my dinner. Never offered an apology,betterment,nothing.Charged us full price. I have been to Negril 4 times, and between this incident, a beach that seems to be cut in half due to rising water levels, and constant harassment from hagglers, it may be hard to go back to Negril, let alone Mom's place.

5 Thank Jon M