“Private, Peaceful and Perfect= Priceless”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Gatehouse Villa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Gatehouse Villa
Ranked #12 of 48 Speciality Lodging in Negril
“Private, Peaceful and Perfect= Priceless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

This was my 6th trip to Jamaica and I am utterly in love with the gatehouse! The front room is beautiful and it is relaxing to sit and view the water and the amazing property while drinking a cup of blue mountain coffee every morning! The property is private so you are able to enjoy yourself without having to share with hundreds of other tourists (who are all just trying to have a great time, of course!) and it's a great alternative if you need to get out of the sun for a bit to play some horseshoes or bacci balls while having a patty and some red stripe from the bar onsite called Tony's Hut. The staff here are amazing as well, there was never a day where my family and I didn't receive a warm welcome and asked if there was any need. I would recommend gatehouse to any of my friends and colleagues as its a place that will give you a great experience and will leave you wanting to go back!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Barriju

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

This is the perfect place to relax and do whatever you want. Very quiet and private. I like that I don't have to share my space with a hundred other travelers. The Gatehouse is beautiful, I have been vacationing to Negril since 1983 and for the last 15 years I have always stayed at the Gatehouse. The staff is awesome, extremely friendly and accommodating. Cant wait to return...Thanks for the great time.

Room Tip: Garden room has the coolest overhead fan I have ever seen!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Teresav63
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I have been going back to the Gate House Villa in Negril since 2009. If you are looking to get taste of the real Jamaican lifestyle then this is the place for you. The onsite staff are some of the best you can find in Negril. Tony keeps the grounds looking like a piece of paradise. Joanie does a great job keeping the villa clean and the rooms are nice and comfortable. Grace Ann is the best bar tender on the beach bar none. I can recall sitting at the Villas public bar and all through out the day there were many people who would come by asking if Grace Ann was working and if she wasn't there they would leave. If she was there which she is most of the time, getting them to leave was the hard part. She is that good. I will be back in April of 2014. This will be my 4th time staying at the Gate House and I can honestly say that it would be really hard to stay anywhere else. I'm Just Saying!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We took a short trip and of course stayed at the villa in the upstairs room. We had an amazing weekend celebrating my husbands' birthday and spending time with our "family" in Negril. As always, the property was beautiful, room was immaculate and the food was to die for! Looking forward to going back SOON!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brooke H
Kansas City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

Ali, I just wanted to let you know what a wonderful time we had at Gatehouse. We couldn’t have been more pleased with the villa, location, and especially the wonderful staff. From the moment the gate opened until we had to leave it was nothing but wonderful! Joanie took great care of us and the villa, as did Princess down at the Hut. Tony made lobster pizza one night – it was to die for! Owen even kept us amused as he came through each morning picking up in the yard. I just can’t say enough good things about everything and everyone there.

We didn’t make it to all of the places you recommended but the ones we did were as good as you said they would be! We didn’t make it to all of them because we had a hard time tearing ourselves away from Tony’s Hut. Not only did we keep Princess busy, we met a lot of interesting people, too. We kept a couple of vendors coming back, too, and you were right, the cocoa bread is soooo good! How do we get some shipped here?

Niah's was wonderful - loved the lobster patty; we also enjoyed Bourbon Beach for dinner one night, Charela Inn for a lunch, and of course we had to make a stop at Margaritaville one evening. Expensive, as you said, but we did get to watch a KU basketball game! Also went to Rick's to see cliff diving. That was fun. I would suggest going early if you want a table to stay and watch the sunset, too. We arrived about 3:00 and had our pick of almost every table, but by 5:00 it was packed, until after the sunset. (Frankly, the sunset was pretty but it had nothing on the view we had right from our own back yard)!

For anyone planning a trip to Jamaica I suggest you consider Gatehouse. It isn't extremely fancy but it is absolutely spotless, in a perfect location, and the people there treat you like family. I can't tell you how many people we met at Tony's Hut that had stayed there multiple times, and even when they can't stay at the villa, they always stop by to say hello to Princess and Joanie. We would go back in a heartbeat, and hope to someday soon. Be sure to challenge Princess (bartender extraordinaire) to a game of Dominoes or Connect Four - she's really good! Ali was wonderful to work with in preparation for our trip. She answered countless questions as we thought of them!

Room Tip: They are all good. Even the upstairs room which isn't air conditioned was very comfortable, and...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2013

My husband and I are both in our 30's and have been staying here since the very first time in 2004. We consider this place "home" and would never stay anywhere else. The staff is always so friendly and accommodating. The property is clean, beautiful and such a natural setting. We feel like Tony, Joann & Ali are part of our family. Ali is always so friendly and easy to communicate with to make reservations or ask any questions/suggestions. If you are looking for a non touristy, laid back but still in the middle of everything, I HIGHLY recommend staying here. The ONLY negative is we never get to stay long enough : )

Room Tip: We usually go with a group and always stay in the upstairs room. We have stayed in the front room(fa...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Waveland, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I are both 50 and have been married 32 years. We stumbled upon the Gatehouse in our late twenties. In our past 15 visits to Negril we have stayed (due to number in our traveling party) at only two other hotels on the beach.
We always come back to our "Upstairs" room at the Gatehouse. We love the Gatehouse because it is NOT an all inclusive, busy, crowded, noisy typical beach hotel. The Upstairs room (spiral stairway is the only way to the top) sleeps two but the downstairs is designed for a small group. It includes a very large kitchen, covered patio eating area and several bedrooms etc.
My review is specifically for the upstairs room. We love the balcony for its view of the sea and for reading and relaxing in the shade. Double doors open up to a spacious master suite with a king bed, sitting chairs and tables. A ceiling fan is the only cooling unit. No air conditioner may be a drawback for some but has never been a problem for us. The middle room holds a sink with long counter, dorm size refer, large mirrors and plenty of room for clothes and "stuff".
The safe is new and has key and/or combination lock. Bathroom has open shower, another sink/counter and toilet that has a unique step up to it. We love the spaciousness of the three rooms. We like to spread out and not be cramped in a room together.
Joan cleaned our room everyday and provided ample clean towels. She has been on staff for years and is efficient and trustworthy. Jamaica is experiencing a drought so the water pressure was turned way down from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. No problems with the toilet.
Down the spiral stair case and a mere few steps away lie the sea/beach. The most popular bar on the beach is located at the beach entrance to the Gatehouse. Tony's Hut is always hoppin'! Tended by Grace-Ann, (who has quite a few fans all over the world!) the Red Stripes and Rum are flowing at Tony's Hut. If you love people watching as we do this is a great spot! We love the ability to be a a part of the fun or just lie on the beach to watch and listen to the bar/beach sounds. It"s the best place to take a nap. The Gatehouse is in a great location on the beach in regards to walking distance to dine. Niah's patties are right next door. We ate them everyday for our noon meal for 2 weeks. We were disappointed to have to go to another hotel to get phone numbers/info for cliff dining. A list in the room would have been handy.
We have embraced Jamaica as a second home in our hearts. If you are a couple who desires a peaceful retreat on a beautiful beach where you can hear yourself think we recommend the Gatehouse Villa Upstairs room.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple