“the "real" negril”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Negril
London, United Kingdom
“the "real" negril”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Citronella is the real deal in Negrils West End. I have been heading to the cliffs of Negril since the early '90s and have seen the transformation of Negril. This wonderful little resort is still the most private, comfortable and most Irie place to spend your time. I have spent many a romantic evening on the cliffs with my husband, I have taken a group of girl friends to celebrate our 40th birthdays, and last year we took our 4 month old son. There is something for everyone. We love that each of the cottages has its own access to the sea, with great snorkeling or a float to relax on. There are a number of great restaurants to walk to, and the beach is only a cab ride away. The cottages are equipped with the basics that you need, and are all positioned to make the most of the sea views and breezes. Looking forward to our next trip!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank claizy
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave the wonderful review. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate the West End as much as we do. Hope to have you back soon!

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
nor-cal
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Loved it, loved it, loved it and wish we could have stayed longer! First time to Jamaica for us and after spending 5 nights @ a small resort in Montego Bay we came to Citronella for a meager 3 nights to see another part of the island. My mistake, I only wish we had spent at least a week here! Our stay in the Round House could not have been better. We hung out on the deck's lounge chairs, read and snoozed in the hammock, and swam and snorkeled to our hearts delight in the beautiful waters that surround Citronella. The awesome stairs down and private, stone landing that is part of the Round House was also a great place to hang out. Our neighbors from the Cave House even asked to use our access a couple times for their little ones as it afforded easier in and out from the water. The incredible rock wall shower is also so simple and yet so wonderful!
Planning ahead for the kitchen, we had our driver stop at a grocery store in Montego Bay en route, and bought all the fixings for breakfasts and lunch. Dinner we ate out. It's easy to simply walk down the road to a number of places for good food. You can also pick up some food supplies at the small store down the road to supplement. Our neighbors in the Cave House - 2 families with kids, staying for 2 weeks (lucky them) - actually arranged to have someone come in daily and cook dinners for them the 2nd week they were there. A great idea which I'm sure can be arranged with Trevor (who is the lovely caretaker!).
We rented a scooter (next to the little store down the street) for a day - which is a great way to get around, see the area and check out 7 mile beach and some of the other resorts. Had we stayed longer I would've rented one for the duration. Just be sure to document the condition of the scooter beforehand! One lunch we ate at one of the 7 mile beach resorts and checked out the beach scene - little squares of roped off area and wall to wall people - and could not wait to get back to our little piece of tranquility.
As many have said, it's not for everybody, but for us it will be ever in our dreams as a perfect slice of paradise :)
Wish I was there now...

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kath1514
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us, and the Trip Advisor community. So glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you back again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I chose Citronella - and really appreciated it for - the privacy, the view and proximity to the sea, as well as price. All came through.

You don't need to go to Rick's, though it is just a stones throw away, because the music floats over and the view is the same. What people travels miles for, is actually yours!

We stayed in the Roundhouse, and then the Cave house (Roundhouse was better, had a stove, maybe better view, too). But I liked the simple lay out of the cave house and the snorkelling was better at the latter, too (they provide snorkelling gear - BIG plus!).

Price was good, though they forgot they offered a deal when I booked, so they over-charged and I had to remind them, which also involved a bit of convincing, but eventually it worked out.

Downsides - a few:

It was very frustrating to book. They are not on the usual sites, so you book direct, but I had to call both numbers before evntually getting through and then I was called back at 2am UK time, though I mentioned that on email, and I had family come to collect me one day, but Citronella is not in the phonebook (a bit incognito), so it was hard to coordinate.

Wifi would have been wonderful, but i get the ethos and why it is not available.

I liked the cleaners and Jennifer is fine, she is a little reserved and stoic, but that is one part of Jamaican culture and I appreciated it.

No breakfast or dinner restaurant - waste of a great house and that would have been nice.

Also no shuttle is offered, so expect $70-80 US for one way between here and Mobay airport - do factor that in when it comes to price. Citronella recommends a driver on the site - we used him and he was great, got us to the airport on time in a rush on the way back, but really as he seems to do most of the shuttling, Citronella could do their guests a favour by negotiating a discount, it all seems rather removed a booking and travel process otherwise and people do feel the accommodation cares whether they can get there or not!

We took a boat tour with Famous Vincent - great! LTU next door serves food, the fish is great, the rest is alright, view is amazing.

The gardener (forget his name) was great, as was Trevor - really personable.

All made for a great stay and all criticism here is meant to be constructive.

Room Tip: Roundhouse then Cave House
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CharmingUK
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
As the manager of Citronella I would just like to thank you for your response and your business. We do take all reviews very serious and we always look at them in a constructive manner. I am glad to see you enjoyed your accommodations as well as your view.Yes our booking method is "very mom n pop" but thats what we are. By speaking directly to the owner and booking your stay it becomes very personal. This leaves the door open for any questions and helps answer questions or if there is a problem it's dealt with immediately. "The Great House" located in center of property is a common meeting place, bar, and restaurant which is a great place for breakfast and dinner. Unfortunately, this area is only offered during the "on" season but it does provide WIFI all the time. We are working on getting WIFI for all of the cottages because that has been a big request. Thank you again for your response and we hope to see you again soon...one love.
North Long Branch, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Words cannot describe the feeling of falling asleep with the sounds of the waves beating upon the cliffs! NO bugs despite lack of screens on the windows & doors! Outside showers. Just an amazing, private place. Nodded off in the hammock. While its true its not for everyone, it certainly was awesome for me! Stayed at the A-frame house------so private, I felt like the only one there.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Glad you liked the hammocks! thats my favorite pass time down there, and I always fall asleep in them. We thank you for your review and look forward to seeing you real soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2012

My week here was fantastic on every level! I stayed in the Cave House - loved it! Swam and showered off the cliffs and layed out everyday! BLISS! Trevor & Jennifer are amazing hosts...there was nothing I needed or asked for that they did not get for me ASAP with a smile. Milly & Annmarie kept my house so tidy and were total gems. The view is breathtaking! Beyond words... Patrick Tate was the best driver I could dream of! He picked me up to and from the airport and toured me around - he was also great fun :) Eat next door at LTU - great food and a mix of lovely people! Such fun!
If you want beach, all-inclusive, & clubbing madness, this is not your spot. If you want serenity, privacy, and your own piece of heaven - then come to Citronella. I am a 33 woman, traveled alone and had not ONE problem all week being harrassed. Negril & Citronella feels like home to me now! COME!!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with any of the cottages here...impossible. Some have kitchens, some don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MissMimi1978
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I loved your review, you sound like you you really appreciated our style and what we have to offer. We are glad our place suites you and hope to see you again in the near future. Thank you for your business...........ONE LOVE!!!!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed here for New Year 2010. Great views of the Caribbean from the Conch House and private access via steps down the cliff to the sea. Loved watching the sunset each night from the top of the cliff with a cold beer and crisps. Rick's Cafe is just round the corner and people have to pay to view the sunset there. The music drifts through the early evening air and various catamarans and other boats float around at the bottom of the cliffs to watch the sunset. Very relaxed vibe. Would stay there again without a doubt. The water at the cliffs can get quite rough at times though so if you're not a strong swimmer be careful. Definitely the West End of Negril is the place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adrian D
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
We are so glad to see that our place is so accommodating for you. we love that you love it, and we hope to see you very soon thank you again for your business .
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Best honeymoon/vacation spot ever! We enjoyed 5 great days in "the round house" and were not at all ready to go home! The round house has a rustic and authentic Jamaican charm. We loved the loft style upper level, the deck overlooking the ocean, and the great deal of privacy. With all open-air windows, the breeze coming in off the ocean provided a perfect temp!

The staff was great and very friendly! They made us feel right at home and were most accommodating. Though not all inclusive, great food, reasonably priced, is available on the resort along with many other options in just a short walk. You will not get the same at-home yet authentic feel at a "Sandles" or "Beaches". If you want that just stay in the States. We love this place and would love to do a 2 week stay in the future!

We desperately needed some fun and relaxation after our wedding and Citronella definitely delivered!!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Changz630
citroJA, Manager at Citronella, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
thank you so much for your review. We are honored to hear that you two chose us for your honey moon. We are very glad to see that you have enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Thank you again and hope to see you very soon........................ONE LOVE!!