“An Amazing Stay in a Beautiful Location”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Boston, Massachusetts
“An Amazing Stay in a Beautiful Location”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was my first time in Jamaica and my first time staying at Citronella--and it most certainly will not be my last. I travelled with 4 other adults, we stayed in the Cove House for seven nights and we had an amazing time. There are so many things that make Citronella an amazing, unique and wonderful place to stay - I'll do my best to sum up why succinctly.

The actual property is breathtakingly beautiful. It consists of five cozy bungalows (or six, if you count the Conch House as two bungalows) directly on the cliffs of Negril, along with a Great House for meals, with Wifi (although I think you are cheating yourself if you don't disconnect during your visit). Each bungalow has its own private swimming entrance, and fantastic views of the sunset. As mentioned previously, I stayed with four other adults at the Cove House, and we easily could have accommodated one more person. The Cove House includes a full kitchen, and Trevor was nice enough to supply us with a grill to use throughout our stay. We cooked a good deal of our meals; however, eating out in Negril is really affordable, so I don't believe having a kitchen is a necessity. My favorite part of the Cove House was the patio - 3 gorgeous wooden chairs, a table with seating for five, two loungers on the patio, a hammock and two loungers for tanning just off the patio - it was just the perfect location to enjoy the sun each day!

The staff is also amazing, and they really go out of their way to take care of you. Trevor, in addition to equipping us with a grill and additional supplies for our kitchen, answered all of our questions and gave us tips on the best ways to enjoy our stay. Adrian, Colette and Colette's daughter (I wish I caught her name!) took care of us each morning, serving us coffee, fresh squeezed OJ and a continental breakfast with warm smiles. And, on our last evening, Colette and her daughter prepared and served an amazing dinner in the Great House. And the two maids who came each day - both to clean and to make sure we had everything we needed to enjoy our stay - were incredibly warm and kind. And, of course, I can't forget Stella - the sweet property dog who came to visit us each night - but don't worry, she's very polite and if you don't like dogs she won't bother you. The staff are a big part of what makes the experience at Citronella so special.

One thing to keep in mind is that the water is not very calm - in fact, when you want to stop swimming and climb up the ladders, you need to swim with the tide. It wasn't a problem with our group, but we are all very strong swimmers. There isn't really a swimming location on the property for novices; but, then again, I don't think there's anywhere on the cliffs where novices can swim. Also - I imagine this property isn't great if you have children since all of the bungalows are directly on the cliffs. But adults and teenagers should be just fine.

In my opinion, Citronella is the perfect place to stay in Negril. It's not big or flashy, and there are not a lot of amenities; however, the grounds are beautiful, the staff are amazing and the views cannot be beat. If you are a laid back person looking to experience true Negril tranquility, then you must stay here!

Room Tip: The Cove House is the best house if you have more than 2 adults. The A frame is really close to Ric...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank JEmilyS

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Citronella is a small and lovely place - far enough from Negril to be isolated and detached and close enough by car to get to the beach anytime you like. This property is on the cliffs outside of town and is set-up as a series of bungalows each with its own design, water access and sea-view. There's a wonderful breakfast/dinner area which is also a library and wifi-access point. There's no regular restaurant but if you want something cooked just for you, there's a fantastic chef who will do whatever it takes to make your dining experience memorable.

This place is deliberately laid-back and peaceful. The water is a bit rough so its not a leisurely walk out to the water. If anyone were drunk or otherwise impaired, this could be a dangerous location. You're high enough above the water and rocks that if you fell in it would be challenging. This is definitely the wrong place to take kids and not the place to go if you want long-beach walks outside your door. I totally loved it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank frankyk69
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Technically Jan 2013 but I have just started going back on my reviews

Found this place online booked and honestly I think they undersold themselves as I was a little concerned my wife may want a tad more luxury.

We stayed 2 nights, we both wished it was longer. This place will be high on my global list!

Great team sharing a name with there son helped break the ice a bit !, the privacy of the accommodations options is impressive, I booked the only option remaining the lowest price option warned to be rustic, it was still a phenomenal experience, perched right on the cliffs, which topped off our circumnavigation of Jamaica.

The food on site was most impressive, great breakfast! Really I struggle to find any concerns, unless you like big all inclusive resorts with pools, if you don't try this place

Highlight really as simple as being alone on the cliff with some red stripe and local produce... Watching the sunset and hearing the music from Ricks a couple of headlands away, a fabulous place to stay and connect. Try the restaurant around the corner, be prepared for a load of weed smoking friendly Rastas. Ask the staff for the Jerk place we went to I cannot remember its name but it was tops of all we tasted in Jamaica, he is the brother of the guy featured on the amazing race or something.

Swells was a bit up that Jan inhabiting snorkeling direct in front but I imagine when calm it's as per the pictures.

We plan on staying here on any future chance we get to visit Negril,

Room Tip: Anything on the cliffs and you will be laughing
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
York, Maine
Reviewed 3 January 2014

It's hard to understand how the best could get better, but it has. I had a brief respite at Citronella recently, & it has gone from my favorite place in Jamaica to my favorite place in the Caribbean. Every aspect of the experience has been enhanced through the wisdom and experience of the owners and their family - and the incomparable natural gifts that only the cliffs of Negril offer are among the great wonders of the world.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank john m
Windham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We thouroughly enjoyed Citronella, the cottages are all beautiful, perched on the cliffs above the blue ocean. We stayed in the Cave House which is built on top of a water cave in the cliff so the sound of the waves is very soothing and hypnotic inside the house and on the porch. We ate several breakfasts and one dinner in the restaurant and enjoyed them all. I certainly prefer the atmosphere on the cliffs compared to the beach strip and Citronella felt personal and private. Snorkeling was pretty good off the cliffs but it is a little difficult climbing out of the water onto the ladder as the sea surge can be pretty significant and there is some sharp coral right next to the ladder. Took home a little souvenir of sea urchin spine in my big toe - ouch! Only downside to the location is proximity to Rick's Cafe. The noise of the bar was very audible from Citronella.

Room Tip: Cave House does not have a kitchen but with such great food in Jamaica you won't want to be eati...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I can't say enough about this place! We went with 6 people, (one being from Jamaica) who got the recomendation from a local. Views are stunning, staff very friendly (love Millie!), great area of town. I would pick Citronella over an all inclusive 5 star resort any day!!! We stayed in the A Frame and Round House over Thanksgiving weekend. We will definitely be making this an annual trip!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hannah M
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Truly a paradise and the owners Cathy and Jon really made it worth our while. Even returned a phone to one my friends who left it behind. Trevor who is there on the premises will ensure that any need is taken care of. Such a wonderful way to get away from the daily routines of a big city. Tranquil, peaceful, and very private. The views last forever and watching the storms and stars were breathtaking! Having your own cove to snorkel and swim, you really feel like its yours and yours alone! Plus, being close to Rick's is a good thing, but the food is better within Citronella's grounds or right next door at the local restaurant.

We will definite go back every year!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends