“Honeymoon stay”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #47 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here last year for our honeymoon for two nights. I decided to add this late review after seeing these almost unanimously positive reviews. First of all, this place is STUNNING. No doubt. Prettiest views of Jamaica we saw all week.
However, if you are staying here off-season (unless this has since changed), this place is super inconvenient and quite creepy. There were NO employees on the grounds the entire time except for a groundsman walking around with a machete (he even gave us our keys at a very weird "check-in"). No food options, even like for a simple breakfast or just a cup of coffee. This place was compleeetely empty besides me, my new husband, and machete dude.
There are some unsavory characters in Negril, and we did not feel safe here, to say the least. The setting was like the opening scenes of a horror movie, albeit beautiful.
I wish we'd have stuck to Idle Awhile/Stay Awhile, which we LOVED!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank caromacon

Reviewed 16 July 2014

I booked last minute with Cathy. She made the booking easy and was very helpful.

Upon arriving I met a friendly staff and they promptly showed me the A-Frame. The house was clean with a great view of the cliffs and Rick's. I spent many hours in the hammock on the front porch and never saw anyone. The grounds were perfectly maintained and private. It was an quick walk down the steps and into the ocean.

The staff really made this property special. I was staying at Citronella for a wedding and was by myself. One the grounds keepers took time out of his day to talk about the property and watch the sunset. I really appreciated his time.

Getting to the property was made easy by calling Patrick Tate. I used him several times to get around the town and he took great care in my well being. While stopping at the ATM, Patrick made sure that no one disturbed me. He can be contacted by the phone number listed on his website - http://www.tatestaxiandtours.com/ I highly recommended him.

I couldn't have imagined a better place to stay and will be back! Thanks Cathy and team.

Room Tip: The A-Frame had a great view and was peaceful. Easy stroll to the water and a great lookout point fo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank CoryRB
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The accommodations are simple yet are everything needed for a quiet and relaxing experience. Call JamaicaIslandTaxi.com for the best transportation on the island. Nicholas is exceptionally pleasant and professional. Stop at the grocery store and stock up on essentials. Most things are imported, so, expect high prices on US name brands. There is a convenience store within walking distance from the property with plenty of beer and basic goods. Expect to get hustled by locals to buy bracelets and more along the way. Colette is the resident cook whom is talented by any standard. If/when you need help on property, the staff is exceptionally nice and courteous. I can't imagine having not visited Citronella!

Room Tip: We were able to explore the entire property and every cabin has an amazing view and private water ac...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We came to Citronella on our honeymoon. Hands down, Citronella is the best location in Negril. The moment we arrived, their staff was completely accommodating. Adrian and Trevor immediately carried our luggage and groceries from the taxi at the front gate, to the Round House. The property is pristine and well manicured, the staff takes pride in their work. The house keeping staff goes above and beyond in properly cleaning your house. Everyday, the staff cleans the entire house; they sweep the decks, restock the bathroom, and even wash the dishes in the sink- now, that's service! If you want to get away and escape to paradise, you need to stay at CITRONELLA, The Round House is very quaint, with views of Caribbean sea. It has two day beds, and queen loft , with a spacious kitchen and pantry. The bathroom has an amazing shower that doubles as an outside shower, with an incredible view. There is also a ceiling fan and oscillating fan, which were a treat after being in the sun all day. We never needed to use the mosquito nets above the beds. There are geckos inside of the home, which take care of any mosquitoes, and actually, were quite entertaining. The sea access had an amazing launch pad, and if you are courageous, there is an awesome 30' cliff jump. What a rush! We cannot wait to come back to Jamaica, and return to Citronella.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DBosket426
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Ok, so I have read all the reviews and you'll probably read mine and think it's more of the same but here goes anyway. We stayed for 8 days and had to split between 2 houses. We had the Round House for 6 days and the Cave House for for the last 2. We originally wanted the Round House for the duration but it had already been booked. After the first day, we were a little disappointed that we would be losing our house because we loved it so much. The round house is rustic and a little dark inside but it's accommodating. We never got hot at night in the loft nor did we get eaten alive by mosquito's. A few bites here and there but not in the house. The gecko's come in at night and hang out on the ceiling but trust me when I say that they are not at all a bother. They're probably the reason we didn't get bug bites. We came for privacy and the Round House delivered.The deck, yard, and sea access are all I had hoped they would be. They even have mat floats that double as lounge pads so leave the floats at home!
We weren't disappointed with the Cave House because it was nice in it's own right. The king size bed made the transition worth it plus it has a nicer deck with a roof. Nice for those afternoon showers. There isn't much of a lounge area at the water access but it's sufficient. The bridge and the cave underneath make up for that! Everyone who works here is wonderful as well! If I could change anything it would be the fact that I'm here and not there. I hope to make it back in a few years & when I do, this will be my place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank megnben
Reviewed 28 March 2014

By far the best meal I had in Negril was cooked by Collette at Citronella. At first we were unsure about the ordering process, but after talking to Collette, we understood that she would make whatever we wanted and we just needed to ask and tell her what time we wanted to eat.
So on our second day at the resort, we placed our order at breakfast - my husband and I asked her for a vegetable curry meal, our travelling companions ordered a giant salad and a fried chicken dinner.
We arrived to the Great House at 7:30, where Collette had set a beautiful table for us and we could smell our meals (heavenly) coming from the kitchen. The dinner was served by Collette and the personal touch and her beautiful personality made it a very special experience.
I'm posting photos of our meals, which were perfectly cooked and the taste was fresh and so delicious - we all raved about how good they were, and a photo of the lovely Collette.

I can't wait to get back to Citronella and experience more meals from her kitchen.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MsTree11
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed in the Cave House with our teenaged kids. The views from the porch are amazing - we saw stingrays, dolphins and long dark fish in the water from our balcony. We explored the cave with snorkels and even swam into the blowhole. Fresh breeze is soothing and we did not miss seeing the sunset from our porch each day. We enjoyed breakfast with Collette and Adrian in the dining area and had two dinners there with other dinners at surrounding restaurants which were also good - LTU and Catch a falling star. We bought groceries and fruit at nearby market and made our own lunches. Snorkeling equipment provided and floats available if you just want to swim. Snorkeling was excellent and we also enjoyed a trip to the reef with Roger and Kirk on Sun Baby glass bottom boat tour. Teenagers enjoyed jumping off cliffs into the water and visiting the puppy, Paris, on the property. We walked to Ricks for drinks one night but most of us preferred our peaceful porch over the crowds and the loud music. Would not bring young children here and would recommend everyone be a strong swimmer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family