“Perfect Paradise”
Review of Citronella

We can't find prices for this hotel
Citronella
Ranked #47 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Couldn't ask for a more perfect place. I've been going down every year for the past 10 years. Missed last year due to the fact that I had a baby. Boy do I miss it. Will definitely make it down this year. Place has been around since the mid 70's. Before all the hotels on the beach. Still has the old Jamaica vibe. Unbelievable place. Never feel so relaxed, without a care in the world. The feeling when I'm down there is indescribably. Jai (Mahwah,NJ)

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank needlejai
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2009

Many thanks for the feedback in this review. Citronella is all about relaxation and privacy. We look forward to seeing this reviewer soon. Keep the feedback coming. We love to hear from you our treasured guests.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

If you are interested in experiencing American consumerism that blights an amazing tropical island paradise, DO NOT come to Citronella. This place is not Sandals, or Beaches, or worse, Hedonism II. There are no manufactured structures where you have to pay extra for a tiny private balcony with ocean view; these are native design Jamaican cottages with palm thatched roofs. Only a low rock wall separates your spacious lanai from this aqua wonderland. Those lanais are large enough for you dining table, lounge chairs, end tables and, not to be forgotten, netted cotton hammock where it is thrilling to moon-bathe skyclad! Nobody can see you, no matter what their vantage point! Each cottage is built on one of the grass-topped cliffs that edge 70 feet deep water alive with benign sea life. The water is accessible by stone steps carved into the coral bluffs. There is no air conditioning here; each cottage is shuttered (not screened) and the open-to-the-elements windows are situated to allow the sea breeze flow through the cottage and cool you naturally. And, although I’ve never even seen a mosquito, each bed is equipped with mosquito netting….I supposed for that just-in-case moment.
This is privacy at its best. The staff, all native Jamaicans who've been with Citronella practically since the beginning, are discreet, yet seem to appear precisely when needed. Anything you need, they can provide.
This is paradise!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vrlc50
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2009

Once again thanks to all the TripAdvisor members who have shared their Citronella stories. This reviewer really hit the nail on the head to say that this place is NOT a Sandals, Beaches, or Hedonism type place. It's truly like having your own place on your own property that sits on a secluded paradise. You have your own private sea access so you can relax in total privacy yet when you're ready for some action, Ricks Cafe and LTU pub are just a short walk. There's also a multitude of water activities right at your back door. The cliff diving is one of my favorite things on the property. I've stayed many a nights at the Cave House to wake up with a nice cliff dive just a few short feet away from the porch that overlooks looks the crystal clear waters below and the Cave beneath the house is a treat to swim into and discover the underground beach inside which has some beams of light from the cave roof that light up the inside. I think I've mentioned this in other responses but it is worth mentioning again.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

A great place to get away from everything and enjoy beautiful sunsets and quiet nights under the stars. We would spend the day swimming and snorkeling, and spend the night at Ricks Cafe just next store, or just relaxing.

I would definitely do it again.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drew93
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2009

Another 5 star review! Kudos again to Cathy and John for making Citronella such a great place to enjoy paradise. I wanted to point out a few things in this review. The quiet nights at Citronella on the cliffs of Negril under the stars are a memory I will never forget. I personally know exactly what this reviewer was feeling during those magical moments because I’ve been there sitting on those magical cliffs right outside the cottages so many times starring at the majestic Caribbean Sea with the sound of the little ripples beneath me. I really can’t do it justice to describe it. You just have to be there to truly understand. Citronella is truly unlike any other property I’ve stayed at in Negril and let me tell you I have stay at quite a few places there. The property is set up in such a way you start to feel like it is yours, your own little place, on your own little cliff, with your own private sea access and swimming cove in crystal clear waters surrounded by these magical cliffs and water caves. I don’t say this just because I work for Citronella. I truly feel this way. This was my opinion of Citronella long before I became the webmaster and long before I knew the owners. I think I mentioned this in some other responses but I will say it again that I discovered this place a decade or so ago and stayed there time and time again. Then I came to know the owners Cathy and John and let me tell you they are just great and really put their hearts and love into this property to make it what it is today.

On behalf of everyone at Citronella, we thank all the TripAdvisor members that have shared their stories and feedback.

Reviewed 25 June 2009

There was great anticipation as Trevor and his two faithful dogs guided us through the lush garden paradise of Citronella to the Round House, our cottage at the far end of the property. There was no disappointment either as we were led to a throw-back thatched hut perched at the top of cliffs overlooking the Western Caribbean. The water glittered like sapphire crystals and the cool breezes greeted us. Jennifer made sure we were comfortably situated and then we were left to a quiet, serene and beautiful vacation.
Citronella is all about location. We've stayed at several spots throughout Negril's west side but none topped the size, gardens and beauty of this place. It's had the same owners since the seventies and a veteran staff that is very helpful but unobtrusive. The place is very retro - in a charming way. Internet is available here but it's the only reminder of the modern times as Citronella congers up images of what Negril may have been like in the 60's and 70's.
The Round House has a very functionable kitchen, gas stove, refrigerator and utensils for make for great meals with the remarkable selection of fresh food available at the market and roadside stands. We recommend stocking up before arrival at the Hi Lo in Negril's town square (don't forget the Red Stripe and remarkable Appleton 12-year old rum!).
The place can get quite warm during the day as the sun hits the deck hard. It's great for sun bathing for a short while. After a while, we found ourselves going to back yard to the tree-shaded hammock with some iced tea or Red Stripe. The other drawback of the Round House were the steep ladder-like steps up to the bedroom in the loft. With the temptations of rum, Red Stripe and organic material ever present, the steps can be dangerous and daunting towards the evening. Fortunately, there are single beds on the first floor if the mind is working better than the body.
The only swimming pool is the big ole' Caribbean down the concrete steps from various points on the property. If you can swim, you'll have a great time as there are various points for diving and a large cave to explore underneath the Cave House. Snorkeling is also highly recommended.
Sunset is the nightly ritual here and there is NO better place to view it than Citronella. Tourists pay big bucks to view it at Rick's two doors down or on the various catamaran's and boats that wander up the cliffs by late afternoon. You'll find yourself laughing as you sip on your homemade Rum and Cokes in your own private paradise as you watch the show unfold.
We never had a more relaxing vacation.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bearlee
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2009

Shucks we lost a star on this one but we're still really excited about this 4 star review and as you can read from the review, this reviewer had a great time here at Citronella. Almost all the comments from this review are positive and the reviewer also brings to attention that this cottage (the Round House) has a ladder like step system to the loft bedroom. It compliments the loft style of the cottage and most find it very easy to get into the loft. However, as the reviewer states, please be careful if you have had a few Red Stripes LOL. Also per the comment about the heat, at most times we have an ample amount of sea breeze to keep you comfortable in the cottage. However, we do get some hot weather and during the heat of the day when the sun is strong, it can get a bit hot. For this reason we stock the cottage with fans and also please note that the cottage is located just several steps away from your own private sea swimming cove in cooling crystal clear Caribbean waters. We have received many 5 star raving reviews about the Round House and it continues to be one of the most popular cottages on the Citronella property.

Reviewed 25 June 2009

Having read the other reviews, we were expecting a lovely place, but it was much more than we expected. I am so glad we found Citronella, I would not have enjoyed Negril half as much if we had stayed on the beach.
We stayed in the A frame cottage for 14 nights, and it was better equipped than I expected for a wood structure. We had a coffee maker (and a constant supply of filters), fridge, enough basic kitchen equipment to cook a decent meal, outside electric supply, and enough fans to cope with the heat. The housekeepers were the best I have ever encountered. We got fresh bed linen and towels in abundance and the cleaning was ridiculously thorough but unobtrusive. Our cottage had an outside shower, which on first impression seemed odd, but it was the lovliest thing to have a shower outdoors (like Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific but with modern plumbing).
We felt like we were living in own sea front house rather than a holiday villa. We felt totally protected, but private at the same time. During our 2 week stay we checked out quite a few of the other cliff side properties and couldn't find anything that came even close to Citronella. Five cottages on an area this big is hard to find anywhere. Credit to John and Cathy for not letting financial greed spoil a beautiful thing!
Tip; the best jerk chicken in Negril is sold from a car park opposite Rick's bar about 100 metres from Citronella, but you have to be quick, he's sold out by 6pm most nights.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linds61
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2009

Hi there this surfdust, manager of all things web for Citronella. We’re very pleased to have received yet another 5 star review. This story brings back memories because I spent my very first night ever in Jamaica in this same cottage (the A frame). It was the first basic shaping of my love for Jamaica and I returned to Citronella time and time again for years and that is how I came to know the owners (Cathy and John). The secret of Citronella’s success is the fact that Cathy and John care so much and work so hard to keep the property true to its reputation of a being a secluded and very private tropical paradise. Kudos to Cathy and John for a job well done!

Reviewed 25 May 2009

I spent a “year of relaxation, serenity, and calmness” … in ‘one-week’ … perched 50 feet above the aqua colored Caribbean Sea lounging in the most quaint “Cave House” in awe of being surrounded by sounds of water splashing on the rocks below and spectacular sunset views above. What a view lounging from my hammock on the porch or sitting up first thing in the morning and looking out the window from the bed. As I listened to the gentle sea-slash, I was captivated by viewing a different tapestry each evening of yellows, golden oranges, deep purples, and glorious blues as the sun finally met the water and vanished only to be replaced by more spectacular constellations of bright and illuminating stars, billions and billions of them. They mesmerized me, at times feeling it impossible to repeat, but each evening and night they were breathtaking. During the day, I walked down the directly adjoining rock steps to the absolutely pristine water that invited, and I accepted, swimming, snorkeling, sea-shell hunting, sunning on a raft, holding hands and exchanging kisses with a very special individual in my life. Then we both went up and dove from the cliffs into the beautiful water. We even snorkeled under the cliffs into a tunnel of water that actually winded underneath the cliff house. I could traverse the rock steps from the cave house to the water below in less than 20 seconds to engage in fun and splendor. I didn’t wander far from my Cave House “home” for the week. My only treks away from our little spot of paradise were to dine in fantastic restaurants on cliffs overlooking the same aqua clear water and lowering sun; to the market a couple of times; and once a walk down to the City of Negril, its beach and village shops; and finally, a short walk in the opposite direction to the early 1900s lighthouse and visit with a local craftsman. The resort staff was fantastic. The peace of my Citronella visit is to treasure and something I’ll definitely do again, and then desire to return and do it all over again and again, with my very special love!

Glenn
Virginia

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kah00na
surfdust, Manager of all things web. at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2009

Hi there this is surfdust again, manager of all things web for Citro. We're ever so pleased to have received this lovely and very descriptive review. The "Cave House" is also my personal favorite on the property because of its spacious room and the cave beneath the house. I have spent some time there with my love as well. I would also like to add that the "tunnel of water" beneath the house is an entrance to a cave system on the property. You can actually swim through crystal clear water into the cave and through a small tunnel to find a secluded and underground little beach with lovely beams of light flowing from the cave roof. A great place to get a few those kisses from your love LOL!

Once again thanks to this reviewer and all reviewers who contribute to TripAdvisor. Your stories of Citronella experiences have greatly helped to shape the Citronella ideals of privacy and seclusion in paradise.

Reviewed 21 April 2009

After traveling to various resorts in the D.R., the Caymans, the Bahamas, & Belize we have found our favorite place so far. We stayed in the Round House from April 9-16 and we were definitely not ready to leave when our time was up. From the time we walked through the gate we felt toatally relaxed. No phones, no TV, no worries. The staff was great and made us feel welcome from the start. Trevor and Jennifer always checked to see if we needed anything. The Housekeeping ladies were very friendly and always smiling. Even the two dogs came by to check on us from time to time. We loved having the private water access and spent most of our time sunning, swimming and snorkeling in our private cove. The grotto shower was nice as well.
The round house was very comfortable. There is a small kitchen with a stove and a fridge that kept the Red Stripes ice cold. There is a closed in shower off the back of the house but be always used the one down by the sea. (Just keep an eye out for the snorkeling boats). For some reason the mosquitos really liked our bathroom. We just kept a mosquito coil burning in there most of the time and the problem was solved. There are two small beds downstairs and a larger bed up in the loft which is accessable by a ladder. We chose to sleep downstairs because rum, Red Stripes, and ladders don't mix well. The ocean breeze and fans more than made up for the lack of air conditioning and we were never uncomfortable.
If you prefer the all-inclusive mega resorts, this place is not for you. If you want a secluded get away in a beautiful setting with a top notch staff, Citronella is the place. We are already trying to figure out when we can return.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ibirie
surfdust, Citronella Manager of All Things Web at Citronella, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2009

Hi there this is Dusty (surfdust) manager of all things web for Citronella. On behalf of all the staff here at Citronella, we're thrilled this reviewer enjoyed our little piece of paradise. The Round House is also one of my favorites and the sea-grotto shower is a special treat just like we advertise. I'm thrilled this reviewer enjoyed it so much.

Just as this reviewer stated, the Round House and Citronella in general are not for those who desire a large all inclusive type place. However, for those who desire a very private and unique island paradise kind of experience in a rustic and charming private cottage with your own private seaside swimming (and cliff diving) cove, well, this place delivers just that. A great place for seclusion that is still close enough to the action to be convenient.

Thanks again to this reviewer and to all TA reviewers who have helped us by reviewing Citronella. We listen to you! We listen to both your praises and concerns and use your feedback to make Citronella the “Absolutely Awesome” place it is (quoted from this review).