“Utopia in Negril”
Review of Sea Grape Villas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Negril
Sea Grape Villas
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have been coming to the west end of Negril for almost 30 years and this year, I stayed at Sea Grape for the first time. It was heavenly. We loved the privacy, the solitude, and the comfort of Sea Grape villa. Christine, Juicy and Bentley were wonderful hosts. We had several dinners at other places and Juicy's food is the best. It is delicious, reasonably priced and delivered to us. What more could we ask for!! I appreciate that Sea Grape is simple and clean with attention to detail. (fresh flowers upon arrival). I am sure this was the beginning of many more trips to Sea Grape.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmySab

Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was just the right place for us. Big enough to sprawl out, but some cozy spots where we ended up being together. We loved the ocean viewing spots. FANTASTIC cove around the corner to snorkel in. Really, a magical underwater place that was better than any of the sites were we went scuba diving.
ONLY problem were the tropical-omnipresent bugs, and only that for one of us (who is a target for mosquitoes).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

As popular as the trend to forgoing travel agents and reliable “all inclusive” is for something different, the savvy traveler knows such a departure is always a gamble as you are essentially booking sight unseen. Doing so for a weekend getaway not far from home is one thing, but it’s a whole other proposition when travelling thousands of miles away. Very costly if it turns out to be awful… Happily, in this case, the reviews were “spot on”. I stayed at Big Grape this winter and found it was all the reviews said - and more. For example, as I was settling in, I learned there was no house phone so I was perplexed as to how to contact the staff. I sent an e-mail to the owners and within minutes, Christine arrived at my door and explained that I just needed to approach the service cottage and call out. That was rarely necessary going forward as each of them checked in with me several times a day.

Booking: We considered Sea Grape Villas based on the online reviews from several sites, but only decided to go forward after our many, many questions were met with a level of detailed response not commonly seen. Our whole “dialogue” took place via e-mail to which the owners responded remarkably promptly. This became even more important as a trip to the ER two days before we were leaving resulted in my godchild being unable to make the trip. Thus I was a single women travelling solo unexpectedly. I’d never been to Negril and been to MOBAY once many years ago for an overnight business stay.

Location and Grounds - Big Grape sits further into the lush gardens with a view of the sea from the second story veranda which makes it cool and shady during the hottest parts of the day. The gardens and grounds are just beautiful and worked on daily. One sunbathing area on the cliff is shared by Big Grape and Sea Grape, but there is only one umbrella which makes getting out of the sun challenging until you discover the lovely spot containing two chairs and another umbrella secluded in the gardens just steps away. This quickly became a favorite spot.

Security - The villas are private, in a secure location that is walled, gated and patrolled by two dogs. I was surprised to get a friendly “check-in” several times each evening by the gardner/security person, Bentley. The two resident dogs, Lucky and Blackie were my constant companions after I fed them, put out a water bowl and played with them the first night. They are well-behaved dogs and very protective of guests, which I found after I had to escort the massage therapist out the door after reassuring them (and her) that it was ok for her to be in the villa with me. By the third night I was asking Juicy to prepare treats for them as they became my steadfast companions at every meal. By day they followed me everywhere and slept on the veranda every night. Enjoying them really made the stay beyond enjoyable.

Rooms: We chose Big Grape because we wanted to “unplug” as this was the first vacation we’ve taken without my having to bring along my work laptop in more than 15 years. So the fact that it had no TV, no phone, and a great iPod dock was just what we were seeking. The iPod dock proved to be unnecessary since I could hear the great music from Rick’s in the evenings. They always stopped at a reasonable time, so it was quite a treat. The two bedrooms on the main floor in Big Grape contain a king and a queen bed respectively. Both have AC which worked well, however, to my delight, the loft master does not. I slept in all three rooms to get an idea of the differences, but far preferred the loft master bedroom with its great cross breeze, aided by a ceiling fan and mosquito netting over the bed to give a cool and refreshing dose of night air. It was so cool that I had to use the blanket each night. Waking up to the ocean view through the open door was quite enjoyable each morning. The owners were kind enough to advise that one needs at least 20% or more Deet in your chosen bug spray, so the Coleman 40% Deet Insect Repellent (Walgreens, Amazon) did the job. I also took their recommendation and bought the insecticide called BOP and the bug coils. Spraying once before nightfall and burning coils on the main floor each day took care of the problem nicely.

Housekeeping: The housekeeper Christine was gracious and a font of information about all one could require. She kept the villa clean and decorated with fresh flowers. Christine repeatedly asked what she could do to make me more comfortable and I soon learned that if I left a dish in the sink or towel on the edge of the shower she would swoop in and set all to rights. She offered laundry services, but I managed easily by hand washing using the Woolite I purchased at the Hi-Lo.

Concierge - The staff at Sea Grape do a great job of assisting you in figuring out how to get around, how to travel through what Rick Steves calls “the back door” of Jamaica. I went to the local produce market, paid a visit to a local kindergarten, the craft market, had a pedicure at the spa, and spent an afternoon at two of the recommended beach venues. It was so relaxing and quiet on the grounds; I had to literally force myself to leave.

Food/Beverage – Foodie that I am and with food allergies, I expected to cook quite a bit. To my surprise Juicy’s cooking erased any thought of doing so after the first meal. I had bought all fresh veggies to cook, but soon turned all supplies over to his excellent care and have not enjoyed veggies prepared so many ways. We prefer a vegetarian- pescetarian cuisine, but tried his jerk chicken – it was very tasty. Juicy’s recipes were a gastronomic delight and the portions are large. I ate lunch out once at Kuyaba and it was good, but costly. After that, I left the all cooking to Juicy, which was more convenient and economical. You do NOT want to miss his lobster.

Tipping: Travelling 80% for my job, I’ve experienced many tipping scenarios. A gesture of goodwill by tipping up front is generally greatly appreciated by hard working staff in any venue, so I customarily tip ½ at the beginning of the stay and the balance or more at the end. The Sea Grape website gives you some guidance by recommending US$5-$10 per staff member per day, but that’s the only place you’ll get some guidance. The tripadvisor site states you should expect to tip at the rate of 10% of the cost of a meal, service or rental as the norm. Tipping is much the same in Jamaica as in the states with the exception that no Jamaican asked or hinted that they expected a tip. If asked, my experience was a graceful reply that it’s up to you, which can be frustrating if you are intent upon rewarding good service. I tipped a total of 45% and split it among the three as the service was exemplary. I tipped 10% for taxi's and other ancillary services.

Ambiance – Laid back, the low key routine makes even the day to day relaxing. All things considered, this was the best vacation I’ve had - ever. I slept in every day, and did not have to do a thing – no cooking, cleaning, laundry, bed changing, towel drying, etc. As you ladies know, even on vacation we’re always the one to cook, wash up dishes, straighten up, make sight-seeing and entertainment arrangements, do laundry – there’s no “vacation” from the daily routine.... Except at Sea Grape in the capable hands of Juicy. Christine and Bentley.

Room Tip: If you prefer to stay out of the sun and don't like A/C running when you sleep at night, Big Gra...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank S N
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Wrapping up 10 nights at Wild Grape and we already booking for January 2015. Juicy, Bentley and Christine are the best and you must order dinner from Juicy at least once. We had the shrimp, the snapper and the crispy chicken - yummy! The view can't be done justice online and never have we stayed somewhere so peaceful. Bonus - we had one stormy day and we realized that this was the perfect spot to watch the crashing waves. Our covered deck (connected to the house) is very comfortable and the best place for morning coffee. We had a strong WiFi signal and we were able to watch a couple of movies in the evening. Can't wait to come back!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hikegalsny
Reviewed 22 December 2013

My husband and I recently returned from a weeks stay and we had a delightful time. The house and property are simply beautiful and comfortable beyond belief. The views are breathtaking and we look forward to returning again soon...hopefully! Juicy, Christine, and Bentley are wonderful additions to the experience as well and will bend over backwards to keep you happy. If you have any thoughts of letting Juicy cook for you while you're there, go for it! He does a wonderful job!!

Room Tip: Sea Grape and Big Grape share sea access. This wasn't a problem since the family in Big Grape we...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FLChick
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Our first trip and our decision to come back next year was made on the second day.

The property is absolutely beautiful and maintained with the upmost care.
The staff, Juicy, Bently and Christine are incredible and make the stay so pleasant. Now when it comes to eating, my wife and I ventured out one day to have lunch. The rest of our stay Juicy cooked for us and I must say you will find no better meals as he cooks with not only his talent but with his heart!
If you want a place to relax, enjoy beautiful sunsets and be treated "like family" this is the place.
Lastly, Marc the owner answered all questions honestly and provide any information we needed. This is truely 1st class when it comes to the property and the people involved in making you feel at home.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank textiles2
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We've been staying on the cliffs in Negril for years but this was out first time at Sea Grape! We won't be staying anywhere else from now on! Juicy's food is awesome and some of the best we've ever had in Jamaica! Christine is wonderful and Bentley keeps the grounds in shape! We also enjoyed hanging out with blackie and Lucky... Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: September 2013