“BLISS”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Weston, Florida
“BLISS”
Reviewed 13 August 2011

My wife and I stayed in Ska from Aug 5-9, absolutely perfect cottage; secluded from the other cottages, with a perfect view from the hot tub on the deck, and close to the Bushbar.

We lucked out; as we pulled up to Geejam, the Jolly Boys were just finishing rehearsing in the studio. J-son was kind enough to escort us down to the studio to meet the band, who were gracious enough to take a few pics with us. They couldn't be nicer.

Speaking of J-son, he made sure all of our needs were attended to, no problem, from mixing the perfect drinks, to sending a cooler full of Red Stripes and water down to the beach, to making sure we had the perfect Jamaican experience. He even almost beat me in a game of pool.

Steve, one of the owners of the property, was on site during our stay, and could not have been a more gracious host. He was kind enough to give us a full tour of the property, and chat with us at length about his hopes and dreams for the Port Antonio area. An Email was waiting for me when I got home from Steve, making sure that we had gotten home safely. Thanks also go out to Iola, Dwight and Nigel, who took great care of us.

Geejam has the perfect vibe going. Steve loved having the guests play DJ at the Bushbar, and the music library trumps any I have seen. With over 15,000 songs, which you can also access from the Apple TV in your room, the perfect song for the perfect setting wasn't hard to find.

The beach is absolute beautiful, from the views, to the daybeds, to kayaking around the cove. The fitness center met all our needs, and we even ran the stairs, which was a great workout.

If you can, be sure to go rafting on the Rio Grande. It is really an authentic Jamaican experience. Lunch along the river was incredible, hanging with the locals was priceless. I took some amazing pictures, which I have already blown up and hung on the wall, so I can constantly be reminded of my time at Geejam.

I've been to Jamaica quite a few times; nothing has come close. Kudos to the staff and owners of Geejam, you've created the perfect escape in a wonderful country.

Room Tip: Ska perfectly located; secluded with amazing view
2 Thank Stuart K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I spent our one-year anniversary at Geejam and were completely transfixed by how dreamy this resort it. The staff could not have been sweeter or more attentive— I was 3 months pregnant at the time and they cared for me so well. The lush grounds are truly a tropical paradise, we enjoyed waking up to hummingbirds floating in the trees around the Ska bungalow where we stayed. The beach is mystical and beautifully calm, and the town of Port Antonio feels like the real Jamaica- because it IS the real Jamaica. We can't wait to return- with the baby next time!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Oakland, CA
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Boutique hotel ran by people in the music industry. The hotel includes, among other interesting amenities, a recording studio and a private beach.
Such a combination for fun and privacy!

1 Thank sumanasa
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I just got back from a week at Geejam Hotel. It was peaceful and tranquil with the most impeccable service. Nestled in the lush hillside of Port Antonio, with a spectacular view of the ocean, GeeJam is a vacationer's paradise. I stayed at Sanwood villa, which is the main house with its own pool and was completely blown away by the modern design and great attention to detail. Just walking into the villa was like a breath of fresh air and when I needed anything it was just a phone call away to guest services.Everyone who worked there was friendly and gracious. I even got a tour of the famous recording studio and was impressed by the state of the art equipment and sound. Thank you to Jon Baker and Steve Beaver who have really created a one of a kind place and experience!

Room Tip: Sanwood is lovely for a large group of people, spacious and elegant with it's own pool. Highly...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank rootsprincess
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2011

In an island full of music, Geejam tops other places to stay: a recording studio with a selection of luxury cottages and apartments clustered around the excellent Bushbar restaurant. We stayed in Drum and Bass and felt in our own little world, perched in lush rain forest, hibiscus and heloconia were in flower all around, with the perfect view of a beautiful Caribbean bay below. The rich and the famous may have stayed here, but the staff hardly let on and, in any case, make you feel like a rock star (in the best sense). River rafting and fishing expeditions can be arranged. It's not cheap, but worth splashing out and I would go back again and again and again.

1 Thank Kevin C
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 31 July 2011

There is no doubt that Geejam is gorgeous, but we felt the hospitality was sorely lacking. Our stay here was part of our annual Sumfest trip—we stayed at Goldeneye for 3 nights before Geejam, then Round Hill 5 nights after—Goldeneye and Round Hill were both wonderful (reviews coming soon).

Names of staff are omitted intentionally in this review, since it seemed it was a skeleton staff who had to do a lot of work without support from management or owners, and without adequate food supplies—we didn’t see or meet any managers or owners during our stay until the last day, when we were checking out —the guest services manager appeared with a corrected bill (we found errors) and she looked angry and did not approach us and introduce herself (we were at a table eating breakfast).

When we arrived at Geejam we and our luggage were taken to Ska, which was even more beautiful than the pictures. It was a very comfortable room also—great bed, and although small, the space was well designed. We were told to wait there for the “IT guy” to show us how to work the electronics, including the safe (which was locked). We were very tired and thirsty from our trip, so I checked in the minibar and discovered it had been turned off—all of the beverages were very warm. We were also hungry, so we each ate a bag of chips from the complimentary snacks (which included the 2 bags of chips and 4 granola bars—these were never replenished during our stay, nor was the minibar —we were rationing our water on our last day.)

After we waited almost an hour, we realized lunch was almost over, so we called the Bush Bar on the phone we had been given and asked if we should still be waiting for the IT guy. We were told no, to come to the Bush Bar. When we arrived there we were told that the IT guy was gone, and that we could call him using the phone and he would walk us through how to use all the gadgets.

Our lunch was ok. My salad was missing 2 of the ingredients listed on the menu—fresh herbs and candied pecans. It was served without a roll or bread, but I was given some when I asked. There was very little lettuce—it mostly consisted of shredded carrots. I tried to call home from the cell phone, having read both in the reviews here and in the information book in the room that we got 20 minutes of time for international calls. It wasn’t working, and I was told it was because the phone was for in-house use only. I said I had read in the book that we were given 20 minutes of international call time, and the bartender/waiter said that we didn’t, but he did call someone and we did eventually get the minutes. But with the missing minutes, long wait for an absent IT guy, lack of welcome drinks (standard in Jamaica, I thought), warm minibar, and lack of even the word “welcome” we were getting the feeling they didn’t really feel like having guests.

After lunch our waiter/bartender/bellman told us he would take us to their beach. We needed to stow our passports and money, so we went back to the room and called the IT guy, who was very professional and explained the Apple TV very well. However, since the safe was locked he said he’d have to get a key from the owners the next day. It was a safe with a keypad, and we’ve used those many times, and if it hadn’t been locked I think we could have figured it out. We didn’t see a place for a key.

We returned to the Bush Bar carrying our passports and money, and began the long descent to the beach. After many, many stairs we were told to just keep going, then cross the street and go through a gate. I didn’t like the sound of that, but we kept going. It was a public street with a lot of fast traffic, but it wasn’t bad to cross. I expected to find the gate locked (we had several keys on the key ring we were given) but it was open. We then went down more stairs, and noticed there was nobody else there—that would have been nice if we weren’t carrying our passports and money, but I began to feel uneasy. We reached the area I have seen in the photographs, but it looked like it hadn’t been used in a while—cushions were strewn around, and I saw 2 hammock posts, but the hammock itself was on a table. The bar area was totally empty. We looked around, and there was no security. We went back up to where they have the porta potties and called for a ride back—we said we felt uneasy being there with our money and passports, right off a public road with an unlocked gate and no security. The beach also was not very appealing, and there wasn’t even water to drink.

We got a ride back, and went back to the Bush Bar. At this point we were given a drink (so we did get our welcome drink after all!) and we were told security was there at the beach, but he was “off raking something”—apologies were made, but we were also told that if we had wanted beverages at the beach we should have asked, and we would have had a cooler to carry down with us (and we were having a hard enough time with the stairs without carrying a cooler!) The bartender did resolve our safe situation for us. He first went to get another safe from another unit, and was unable to move it—then he discovered on ours that there was a panel that could be removed to reveal a keyhole, and we did have the key on our keyring.

We assumed this was just a rocky start due to lack of sufficient staff, but things did not get better. We did see another couple there at dinner one night, and a family. Dinner was ok—portions were extremely small, especially considering the prices. My husband had garlic lobster ($45, not including tax) one night, and it was a very small portion of lobster with a few veggies and a few tablespoons of rice. The next night he tried to order something else, but they were out, so he got the lobster again—and the portion was even smaller! We then saw a young man being served a large plate of the lobster (over twice the size of my husband‘s portions)—it turned out he was one of the owner’s sons. At that point the lone waiter/bartender told us he had to go to the security gate to order some pizza for the family (we had heard the father request the pizza and some steamed callaloo, which we had been told at breakfast they didn’t have). Our drinks were empty, but he was in a hurry and we didn’t get a chance to ask for a refill.

Breakfast was mostly good (great fruit plates), and we felt the service was warmer. They were out of a lot of things, though (callaloo, fresh herbs, cheese), and they did not have the Jamaican breakfast until the last day, and it was not as good as other Jamaican breakfasts I have had (even at large resort buffets). The main dish was baked beans with salt fish, which tasted like it was just a can of baked beans with salt fish mixed in.

Our stay probably wouldn’t have been as disappointing if we hadn’t read all of these reviews and expected certain things. For example, nobody ever offered to show us the studio, and when I booked I mentioned that we were very interested in seeing it. I didn’t know who to ask, since the only staff who introduced themselves to us were our morning waitress, the bartender/waiter, the chef, and our drivers. Also, nobody ever offered to let us pick the songs in the dining room, even when we were the only ones there. This could be because the “juke box” was constantly being used to play computer games. The music that was played every night at dinner was 70s disco, not our favorite. In the morning the 70s disco was even more unbearable, so I did ask if the music could be changed–again, we were not offered a chance to pick the music, but at least it did get changed to reggae, and the waitress remembered the next morning and changed the music without our asking (this is the service level these reviews had led us to expect from the entire staff for our entire stay).

I will end with the positives—the hot tub on the deck was wonderful, we enjoyed watching movies on Apple TV, and we loved Frenchman’s Cove—swimming there was wonderful, and they had great service at the beach. But we could have enjoyed that and stayed at a much more affordable and hospitable place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank MermaidMary
eagerbeaverhk, Owner at Geejam, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Dear MermaidMary,

Firstly, I want to personally thank you for all of the incredible positive comments you shared, and secondly, I am so terribly sorry to hear that not every single item in relation to your stay, was absolutely perfect for you. To make amends, we would encourage you to contact reservations on your next visit to these shores, as we would like to invite you and your husband back for two nights, as our guests.

Rather than respond to your detailed review point by point, I want to simply take the opportunity to sincerely apologize to you both, for what was clearly an aberration - something that all of us at Geejam feel terrible about, as we are 100% committed to ensuring that EVERY guest has an absolutely perfect stay with us.

We are extremely proud to have earned and maintained our #1 rating, out of just under 300 Jamaican hotels listed on TripAdvisor over the past 2 years, as Geejam is now just over 3 years new!

What is bothering us the most - and I take personal responsibility for it - we obviously did not ask you often enough during your stay, if everything was absolutely perfect for you. Had any of the items, that were less than perfect from your perspective, been made known to me, I would have immediately rectified the situation for you, or at least provided you with a full explanation. We feel so bad, that even an item such as a missing ingredient from our signature house salad was served to you, and no one took the time to explain that we work with daily market fresh items, that must meet our extraordinary quality standards - and unfortunately, that day, our chef adjusted his salad ingredients, to meet those requirements. We are upset with ourselves for not having something as simple as this fully explained to you – something our entire staff has now learned a lesson from.

We will also work harder at encouraging our guests to bring any concern to our immediate attention. As you know, upon arrival, we provide every guest with a cell phone, which contains all your relevant contacts on the property, including both mine and my business partner’s cell-phone numbers, and ask that we are personally called, for any special needs or issues. We will work much harder at this, as we are committed to perfection when it comes to guest satisfaction.

And when you return, we will show you how great the food is normally, how unique the beach is, and how we encourage our guests to make the most of our vast play-lists...... and you will definitely receive a studio tour, which we love giving to all our guests, who express an interest.....and most do.
1love
Steve Beaver
Co- owner
Reviewed 13 July 2011

GeeJam has set a standard that we will forever be using to compare other hotels!!
We love small properties, GeeJam fit the bill.
We love having all the amenities, GeeJam certainly fit the bill and then some.
We love great service, GeeJam knocked the ball out of the park!!

We have gotten good service at other properties in the Caribbean though none have come close to the standard of service we got at GeeJam. The difference for us is fantastic service that is personable and intimate, you really don't know what it is until you've experienced it like we just have at GeeJam. The staff seems truly happy with their jobs and extend themselves to incredible lengths to assure you are having a wonderful, relaxing time. They have amazing memory for the smallest detail you may have mentioned even in passing, very impressive. Special mention to Iola in Guest Services truly a special person, Andre on the grounds, Jason at the bar, Nigel the chef who can do anything, Dwight in tech services and Gary, so very special to us, he drove us around, was a fountain of information, even went and got money exchanged for us at the local cambio and was practically family by the time he transferred us to Negril at the end of our stay, better people you cannot find. Let's not forget the stealth housekeeping staff, who magically made our suite, Drum and Bass, sparkle, we never even got to see them! Amazing.

An ever present owner Steve whose phone number is at your disposal on a cellphone given to you for your use upon arrival, to call the front desk, the tech dept., the Bushbar, housekeeping or to call home no matter! Steve even called us the morning we left while we were on the road to thank us for our patronage and for feedback on our stay, we cannot recommend GeeJam more highly!

Previous posters have detailed for you this wonderful property and all the many great amenities at GeeJam, here's some of our own, apologies if they are a duplicate.

Can't make the steps to the beach, a car will be sent to pick you up.
Thirsty on the beach, request a cooler with cold drinks, no problem.
Extra towels, all you need to ask a single time during your stay.
Are you a foodie? Bushbar is THE BEST in Port Antonio, any request can and will be met.
Are you into serious breakfast, it will be delivered to your terrace every day if you want full and delicious breakfast, with some of the best scrambled eggs I've ever had!

In addition to all this my hubby got the best present of all, a studio session with Dizzle, 2 songs to take home with him, truly an anniversary present of a lifetime. Thank you Dizzle and thank you Steve and the entire staff at GeeJam for a memorable vacation and 10th anniversary!

Maria and Kelvin

The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!