Firstly, I recommend a visit to this corner of Jamaica. It's far less commercialised than the majority of the island, the vegetation is luxurious and incredible lush and it retains a low-key atmosphere.
We went to Geejam's thanks to the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Tripadvisor - and having been there, I see what the fuss is about. It's a special hotel in a special location.
We were picked up at The Jamaica Inn near Ocho Rios and driven in a SUV by a very courteous, friendly and intersting guy who had worked in construction in New York and had moved back to Jamaica. This set the tojne for the visit - the staff are very sweet natured and genuine, which is not always the case in The Caribbean.
The hotel is simply a marvel of civil engineering, with it's location up on the hill surrounded by tropical trees (some are so big they are breath-taking) - the standard of the building materials and the quality of the finish is remarkable for such a remote location.
The view is something you will never tire of looking at.
The rooms (we had "Rock Steady") had very cool furnishings and technology in the room (iPod dock and Apple TV for example). The bathroom was very cool with a view out to the sea through the trees - the whole place feels very "sexy" (and as Nigel in Spinal Tap once said "what's wrong with beiong sexy?", although I digress.....)
The communal bar/restaurant/pool table area is great with a quite frankly excellent urban/R 'n' B selection on iTunes always playing some great sounds at all times of the day.
The food in the restaurant is above average for Jamaica, but has a correspondingly high price point. Breakfast was good and always served by a smiling lady who was always ready to help.
Not all dishes hit the spot, the burger was "off" for all four days we were there (could no one have gone shopping?), wine was expensive as you would expect and the lunches were typically better than dinner (simpler, less "try-hard" and overall just better).
A few quibbles.....
1. The covers on the outdoor sofa were either wet (it rains in sharp bursts a lot) or missing - they need a better system to protect the cushions whilst also making they're actually there.
2. Rhianna was shooting a video nearby ("Man-down" I believe) and the owner went table to table telling everyone in a "psst, don't tell anyone, but....." - which we were like "whatever". In the end the crew popped in for breakfast at 6am on one day. If I was a celebrity, I would be concerned at the lack of discretion and I thought this was a sort of covert, guerilla-marketing way to get people to talk about who sometimes stays at Geejam...oops, it works - here I am writing about it!
3. Whilst the beach club across the road if immaculate, a swimming platform that extended across the reef allowing you to dive in and swim in open water would have been nice. The bay is mind-blowing - real James Bond r 'n' r location from the Fleming novels (although Goldeneye is a few hours away).
4. They got the bill wrong, but it was rectified with a phone call or two back to The UK - not ideal.
Overall, special and with improvement - simply stunning. Overall pricepouint is a little too high, but with work it will justify it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Geejam, an insider escape, is located in San San, close to Port Antonio, in the parish of Portland, on the pristine shores of north-east Jamaica. Achieving a stylish equilibrium between ultra modern technology and the intrinsic grace of the natural island landscape makes this the Geejam signature trademark. The property features seven double rooms, a state of the art Recording Studio, Healing Spa, Swimming Pool (Sanwood only), Gym and the Bushbar, forming an exclusive universe within the natural beauty of the grounds, which stretch down to its own private beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Geejam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Geejam Port Antonio
- Geejam Hotel Port Antonio
- Geejam Jamaica/Port Antonio