“A piece of Heaven!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Burlington, Canada
“A piece of Heaven!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

Going to Gee Jam is like going to going to another world. The entire complex is perched on the top of a lush tropical mountain and has paths cut through the jungle connecting the villas. The experience of being in the jungle and overlooking the oceans and beaches below is breath taking. The main dining area is an open aired covered facility with lush vegetation all around, and while I felt like I was in a very posh tree-house, the food and service were top drawer! The bedroom was luxuriously appointed very clean and the staff were friendly and had a great attention to detail. The thing that struck me the most was the tour I had of the recording studio located on site. I am no musician but I can see why this would be “THE PLACE” if I was a recording professional. Certainly the experience left me feeling like a Rock Star! Thanks Gee Jam you guys are great!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frank L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had a tour of Geejam and had lunch there. I also toured some of the villas and the recording studio although we didn't stay there. Geejam is carved into the hillside with spectacular views overlooking the ocean. We had a great meal at the Bushbar which has a deck which thrusts out over the treetops in a gorgeous wooded setting. Excellent service headed by co-owner Steve. One villa with two bedrooms, private pool and own kitchen looked like a great place for a small family to hang out and get away from it all. Check out the photos on its website. I look forward to staying there someday.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed at Geejam last February for a little under a week. Words cannot describe the gorgeous peaceful surroundings, the sound of daily 5am rain on the roof and awakening of the birds (rain always cleared by morning btw). Port Antonio is a sweet community and off-the beaten path part of Jamaica it seems. But what really makes Geejam special are the people who care for it. From Jason's welcoming smile, fantastic drink mixes to Nicardo's fantastic tour guiding, to all of the staff's kind efforts (at the beach, at the Trident, etc.) to make our stay fantastic (procuring ackee for our breakfast etc.) we are so grateful. Mento with hot-tub was quiet and secluded (with just the right balance of morning roosters in the neighborhood), the food was great and we will be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Erle E
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

MY boyfriend and I stayed at Gee Jam for four nights over the Christmas period and had a lovely time.

Pros:
1. In the middle of the jungle, the location is dream-like.
2. Our cabin was great - fully equipped, nicely decorated and very private.
3. The stuff were friendly and very attentive.
4. Our driver, Mr Bentley, was always sharp on time and a pleasure to share our car journeys with.
5. Breakfast was excellent and came in abundance. The food was overall great.

Cons.
I don't really have any cons. I've read reviews where people complained able the beach set up not being more like Negril, but that has nothing to do with the Hotel, it simply is a different part of the island, and a truer experience of Jamaica in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

The Parish of Portland is a step away from the rest of Jamaica, Port Antonio has some cool vibes, roadblock on Thursdays is a great street party with dancing groups and great MC over some fun dancehall and reggae.

Geejam provides a really great and personal service, the food surpasses expectation and the staff are very friendly and made arrangements for myself and family for some fun excursions, rafting, some waterfalls and a beach trip or two. We stayed in their 3 bedroom villa, Sanwood that has loads of cool artwork, we also had a couples massage in our rooms which took relaxation to another level. I really love this hotel and the way that you feel at home when you walk in - like nothing else I have ever experienced. I want to come back soon!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
alwayssuperstylin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Geejam is a real gem in Beautiful Jamaica.

Getting to : (C-) Approach road is terrible.

Check in: (A+) Very accommodating and informative)

Property : (A) Secluded, beautiful views of the ocean and rainforest like feel.

Service (B-) Sketchy. Room service is below average. Service at restaurant is good. Staff forgot to give me the tour of the studio. A bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon wine was placed in my room for my anniversary. Nice touch, except that it was placed with 2 different sized Champagne flutes, and the wine was terrible.

Food : (B-) Not consistent. – When its good it’s great. When its not its poor. I ordered the same thing twice on 2 different days (Shrimp curry) day 1: it was brilliant. Day 2: it was tasteless. In comparison to similar properties, food is pricey.

Staff : (B) Majority of the staff were fantastic. The ones on my last day were clueless.
Rooms : (B+) Beautifully appointed, apple TV, Cable TV, Ipod Dock, Wifi etc. (Wifi didn’t work the first morning we arrived) Bathrooms are fantastic. A/C sounded like a tractor the first night.

Private Beach (B) its not really a private beach but a secluded private garden area overlooking the ocean with a tiny strip of sand. Kayaks available, no one to assist with life jackets or launch though. So didn’t get to use them. Still a great place to relax though.

Local Knowledge : (B) Was handed a free pass to Frenchman’s Cove. Frenchman’s Cove staff did not honor it.

Checkout : (D) I called well in advance to have the bill ready and it wasn’t when we were leaving. We had to wait for it.

Overall : B (Great relaxing time. Beautiful is an understatement)
Would I return : Quite possibly.

Room Tip: Stayed in Rocksteady. What a view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank alwayssuperstylin
eagerbeaverhk, Co-owner at Geejam, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review.

Around the time of your arrival, we had unusually inclement weather which a) damaged the approach road, which is now under repair, and b) played havoc with our Internet, along with our back-ups. Our internet, across the whole property, right the way down to the beach, was already back to full speed after your first day, as you would've been aware.

We are currently upgrading our room service, along with the menu and level of consistency amongst the chefs, so I believe these things will not be an issue going forward.

My sincere apologies for the studio tour oversight. It's a pity you never mentioned it to anyone, as they would have happily set this up for you. Let's make this a priority on your next visit!

I think that the photos on our website give a very realistic flavour of our beach - one that many of our guests love, because it's not just sand, but is also lush with vegetation. We are, after all, in the very heart of the rain forest. Gopal, who looks after the beach, is around throughout the day, and would've been located without difficulty, via the Bushbar or guest services. One of his duties is to help our guests with the kayaks and life jackets. I'm so sorry you missed out on this, as the kayaking and snorkelling in the reef are extremely popular.

For many years, we had an arrangement with Frenchman's Cove, whereby they would welcome our guests with a pass on a complimentary basis. Sadly, the manager of Frenchman's passed away very recently, and they are no longer honouring the pass. Unfortunately, they neglected to tell us this, so I must thank you for bringing this to our attention.

There were some late additions that needed to be added to your bill, and I understand there was a change in the agreed check-out time – nevertheless, my sincere apologies for us making you wait.

You've also made some wonderful observations about our unique property, and for this I also thank you, and hope that you will return soon, and see for yourself that we've implemented everything mentioned above.
1love
Steve
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

We had a 2 night stay at Geejam where we had 2 rooms (Drum and Bass, Rocksteady) We also did a vow renewal ceremony as well. Geejam is a gorgeous property. The rooms were clean and well maintained. We loved the privacy of the property and the rooms. The private beach is definitely a hit, and the complimentary use of the kayaks was a plus.

For our vow renewal, I could not have pictured a more perfect day. Everything went well…EVERYTHING! Shevanise was our coordinator and what a professional she is! From we initially made contact months ago, to the day of the ceremony she was absolutely perfect. Very accommodative, patient and professional. On the day of the ceremony, she was with me from make-up to the very end. She is indeed an asset to Geejam. On a whole, the staff was pleasant. We were greeted warmly upon our arrival, and they seemed eager to accommodate our needs and requests throughout our stay.

We had dinner at Trident Hotel on one night. The Jazz band was excellent. We were a party of five, and I was the only one not pleased with my main course. However, our waiter Tyrone offered to change my order to something else. I didn’t want to be a bother, so I declined. But again he was very pleasant and accommodative.

The food at the Bushbar was excellent. They provided brunch for my wedding party and it could not have been any better. We had breakfast there each morning as well, and it was well done. I had to ask to meet the chef so I could personally commend him.

All in all, it was a very good stay.

• Stayed July 2013
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
The Caves
The Caves
#4 of 84 in Negril

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!