Just back from a family trip to Geejam. We had a lovely time - great hotel, great food, great staff. We are a family of five - kids ages range from 5 - 13 - and we stayed in Sanwood. The grounds of the property are luxuriously landscaped - unbelievable vegetation. This is the wettest part of the island - and the weather lived up to its reputation on several days. Undaunted - we went rafting on the Rio Grande, shopping at the local market in Port Antonio and exploring the local beaches. The kids had a blast.
It is a long drive from the airport in Kingston - and upon arrival my husband asked Owen, the driver, if he would mind quickly showing us the highlights (not many) around Kingston. This added at least an hour to our journey (I lost track of how long it took after 2 more hours). When we finally arrived - we met Steve, one of the owners - who seemed as puzzled as Owen about our sightseeing adventure - when I explained that we were so late, because we had driven around Kingston - his response was "intentionally?" Unfortunately, the answer to that question was yes.
We soon settled into a very relaxed rhythm - spent our days exploring or (with the sun's cooperation) lounging by the pool or at one of several nearby beaches - our evenings playing pool before a fabulous meal in the chic outdoor restaurant.
No request was too big and arrangements were made effortlessly.
An intriguing and unique aspect of the resort is the recording studio - one of the reasons I chose the hotel in the first place. My 13 year old son is an avid guitar player - and both Steve and Dizzle were gracious enough to schedule a complimentary recording session for him. He and Diz put together 2 short tracks (Led Zeppelin and Metallica) - and I have to say - it sounds pretty good - and what a great experience for my budding musician!!
We have been to Jamaica several times over the past 20 years - with and without children - and have stayed at both Round Hill and Jamaica Inn - two very elegant and understated resorts - both of which I loved as well. Geejam is unquestionably in the same league - but attracts a younger and more adventurous traveler - and the vibe is definitely on the hip side. I doubt that the older country club set that frequents Round Hill would be comfortable here.
However - it suited our taste perfectly - it was a blissful week at a great hotel on the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Geejam, an insider escape, is located in San San, close to Port Antonio, in the parish of Portland, on the pristine shores of north-east Jamaica. Achieving a stylish equilibrium between ultra modern technology and the intrinsic grace of the natural island landscape makes this the Geejam signature trademark. The property features seven double rooms, a state of the art Recording Studio, Healing Spa, Swimming Pool (Sanwood only), Gym and the Bushbar, forming an exclusive universe within the natural beauty of the grounds, which stretch down to its own private beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Geejam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Geejam Port Antonio
- Geejam Hotel Port Antonio
- Geejam Jamaica/Port Antonio