“Blissful relaxation in Jamaica”
Review of Geejam

Geejam
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Greenwich, CT
“Blissful relaxation in Jamaica”
Reviewed 4 January 2010

Just back from a family trip to Geejam. We had a lovely time - great hotel, great food, great staff. We are a family of five - kids ages range from 5 - 13 - and we stayed in Sanwood. The grounds of the property are luxuriously landscaped - unbelievable vegetation. This is the wettest part of the island - and the weather lived up to its reputation on several days. Undaunted - we went rafting on the Rio Grande, shopping at the local market in Port Antonio and exploring the local beaches. The kids had a blast.

It is a long drive from the airport in Kingston - and upon arrival my husband asked Owen, the driver, if he would mind quickly showing us the highlights (not many) around Kingston. This added at least an hour to our journey (I lost track of how long it took after 2 more hours). When we finally arrived - we met Steve, one of the owners - who seemed as puzzled as Owen about our sightseeing adventure - when I explained that we were so late, because we had driven around Kingston - his response was "intentionally?" Unfortunately, the answer to that question was yes.

We soon settled into a very relaxed rhythm - spent our days exploring or (with the sun's cooperation) lounging by the pool or at one of several nearby beaches - our evenings playing pool before a fabulous meal in the chic outdoor restaurant.

No request was too big and arrangements were made effortlessly.

An intriguing and unique aspect of the resort is the recording studio - one of the reasons I chose the hotel in the first place. My 13 year old son is an avid guitar player - and both Steve and Dizzle were gracious enough to schedule a complimentary recording session for him. He and Diz put together 2 short tracks (Led Zeppelin and Metallica) - and I have to say - it sounds pretty good - and what a great experience for my budding musician!!

We have been to Jamaica several times over the past 20 years - with and without children - and have stayed at both Round Hill and Jamaica Inn - two very elegant and understated resorts - both of which I loved as well. Geejam is unquestionably in the same league - but attracts a younger and more adventurous traveler - and the vibe is definitely on the hip side. I doubt that the older country club set that frequents Round Hill would be comfortable here.

However - it suited our taste perfectly - it was a blissful week at a great hotel on the most beautiful island in the Caribbean. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Santa Monica
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Up in the far away rainforest of Jamaica lives a magical little town called Port Antonio. In that town is a magical kingdom with 7 sparkling cottages that look over the sea. This beautiful place is called Geejam! In Geejam you will meet many fairies (they call themselves the staff and 2 owners but don't be fooled) who will make you feel like you have died and gone to heaven, as they bestow the magic of this place upon you, sharing the secrets of its beauty. Geejam captures the essence of a dream with warm tropical breezes, heavenly views and delicious food. And if your a music lover, you have found the jam! Each room is set up with Apple TV and a plethora of music as well as an in house studio. We will be back!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freerangeartist
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 27 December 2009

My wife and I had the absolute pleasure of staying at Geejam for 7 days. One of the deciding factors in choosing Geejam over the many honeymoon options we considered (Italy, Greece, Fiji) was the wealth of positive reviews. Since we benefited so much from the reviews, we felt it important to share our experience.

Upon arrival at Kingston Airport and after a quick trip through customs, we were greeted by the Geejam/Island Outpost representative at the terminal. He took us to the Island Outpost waiting area and presented us with chilled towels and a delicious rum punch. Amid the less than glamorous and loudly under construction Kingston Airport, the Island Outpost waiting area was a nice respite. The rep called our driver, Owen, who met us outside the airport.

Owen was fantastic! He was warm, helpful and willing to be tour guide along the long road to Port Antonio. He was great at letting us rest or letting us ask question after question. He had a cooler full of Ting and Red Stripe (and Red Stripe Light) waiting for us, which made the trip even more fun. By the way, Ting is one of our new favorite drinks and we drank it everyday in Jamaica.

The drive from the Kingston Airport to Geejam in Port Antonio is a LONG drive with traffic, about 4 hours to Geejam at that time of day (kids getting out of school). It was much shorter on the way back, about 2.5 hours. The drive takes you through Kingston, then through the mountains on very, very winding, nearly one lane roads. For anyone who gets mildly car sick, I’d take the plane. My wife and I loved the drive, seeing the people, the city and the countryside. For that reason, I recommend driving. I should say, I recommend having Owen drive. I’ve driven in many foreign countries (Australia, Germany, Netherlands, Mexico) but the combination of very narrow roads, steep winding mountain roads and improvised rules for passing (really, cutting off the other drivers) made me a big fan of letting Owen do his thing. After the mountain roads, the drive runs along the coast and through some smaller towns to finally end up at Port Antonio. The shift from Kingston to the mountains to the plantations to the coastal area is beautiful. All the while, Owen was always willing to answer questions. He said something about Geejam that stuck with us through the visit “Geejam is a spoiled resort- you want anything we will get it for you”. He was right!

The gated resort of Geejam blends in perfectly with the surrounding area. It is amazing how small Geejam really is, or I should say intimate. From the car park, it is just a few yards to the place where we stayed, Ska. Where to start describing Ska? The room is perfect for a couple. It has a large bed with at least 500 count sheets. I was never concerned with threadcount before, but after sleeping in the Ska sheets, I am totally spoiled! The sheets were truly heavenly. Lighting in Ska is controlled by dimmers and recessed LED lighting, perfect for setting the mood. The bathroom was a little small, however, the shower containing a rain head and a regular showerhead felt huge. The room was appointed with a flat screen TV, a DVD player, a wi fi router, a fridge stocked with Ting and Red Stripe, Apple TV and two stereo Ipod players (a Cambridge George and a Logitech). The Cambridge didn’t work (so why was it even in the room, I don’t know) and the Logitech had one speaker/channel blown. When I brought up these observations to the “Tech” at Geejam, he didn’t seem interested. Also, he didn’t do anything about getting a working stereo for us after we asked. We listened to the Logitech with the blown channel the entire visit.

Since I’m on technology, the Apple TV and satellite cable channels were nice to have. So was the wifi in our room, but the wi fi and the Apple TV were lost in a storm the second night of our stay and were never restored. The Tech guy was in our room three days (one day was an ENTIRE day) running new wire and working on the problems, but they were never fixed. This was probably the worst (though by no means awful) part of the stay at Geejam. We resigned ourselves to checking email and news at the Bush bar when we had meals there, and ended up enjoying TVJ, the Jamaican TV channel. It would have been nice to have Apple TV, wi fi and a fully functioning stereo, but those were secondary to our stay at Geejam.

Back to Ska. The balcony that runs along most of Ska was glorious. We had breakfast and dinner at the table for two on our balcony (Bush bar will bring any meal to your room, making it “room service” for two on the balcony), watched sunsets and listed to the sound of Jamaica down the hill- roosters, faint music from a bar- we loved hearing the sounds of the area. Don’t worry, it wasn’t loud enough to intrude through the closed doors, just enough to enjoy when on the balcony. Although Ska is equipped with a hot tub on the lower balcony, we never used it.

We were allowed to use, when there were no guests, the pool at Sanwood. This was a real treat. I understand Geejam is building a private beach and pool, and this would be a fantastic edition to the resort. We had a meal delivered to Sanwood, even thought we weren’t staying there. This says so much about the level of service at Geejam- it was terrific.

Service is obtained by use of the Digicel mobile phone provided at check in. By the way, there is no “check-in” at Geejam. You are given a key and cell phone when you arrive and are shown to your room- a great way to get settled in your room. BTW, they have you fill out a form in your room to see what you like, don’t like to eat, what paper you want in the morning, etc. I’m guessing this was never read because we never saw the newspaper we requested and they didn’t get our note/question about laundry service (laundry service was provided after we asked Iolla). Anyway, this cell phone is the lifeline to all services at Geejam. We ordered room service, called for a ride to the city, asked for more drinks, etc. all by the use of this cell phone. We took the tiny cell phone with us everywhere we went. Included are a few minutes to call people at home and give them your Geejam cell phone number. It is a direct dial number for the US, a very thoughtful way to feel like you are always in touch with family and business back home. That cell phone made our stay even better!

The most surprising part of our stay was the food. We never expected the food to be that amazing! Wow! All the dinning was at the Bush Bar, a low key and absolutely gorgeous place to have a meal. The meal portions were huge and featured local ingredients. Breakfast started with a local fruit place (papaya, mango, banana, pineapple, watermelon or some combo of whatever is fresh), and a choice of Jamaican breakfast (escovich), pancakes, eggs, etc. There was a day or two they ran out of bacon or pancakes (hey, they can’t just run to the grocery store like in the US), but the menu was large enough to chose from something else like sausage or the excellent bread as a replacement. Lunch was fantastic, with sandwiches or a stir fry meal always featured. Dinner knocked us out! Our favorite was the Screechy Lobster with festival- one of the best dishes I have ever had!!! My wife still talks about Screechy Lobster. Dinner was eclectic with a curry seafood, a lobster linguine, ox tail, lamb or ribs. All the meals are prepared behind the Bush Bar and always served at the right temperature. Again, we never expected to eat this good!

The Bush Bar was where Tim (aka Hubert) and Adrianne worked, both as bartender and waiter/waitress. They did a terrific job of taking care of us and making us interesting drinks. Guest Services is staffed by Iolla, the “quarterback” of the place. She coordinated a beautiful honeymoon champagne and flower pedal surprise after we came back from snorkeling, secured a six pack of Guinness (the Bush Bar doesn’t carry it, but it is the #1 beer consumed in Jamaica-surprising), and coordinated all our trips. She replies with “cool cool” and “no problem” in making any request. Iolla was one of the best things about staying at Geejam.

We were more than a little disappointed we didn’t get to spend much time with the owner, Jon Baker. I am a studio and touring musician, and wrote Jon prior to our visit, hoping to see the studio. We didn’t hear from Jon so we asked the staff for a studio tour when we arrived. We were brought to the studio once and kept out, I came another time and was refused and had to keep asking the Geejam staff if I could get a tour. Finally, after asking Tim, we were introduced to Dizzy, the studio engineer, who was happened to be hanging out at the Bush Bar that evening after a recording session. He took us on a tour, and he and I immediately hit it off (I’ve spent more time in a studio than in a gym!), and our love of music was a common bond. He was wonderful in spending time with me and showing me all the gear there.

We took trips to Port Antonio to shop, to Frenchman’s Cove and Winifred beach, and to Boston for Jerk pork and chicken, all escorted/chaperoned by the “mayor” (that's what we called him) of Port Antonio, Bentley. Bentley apparently knows everyone, which was great for us. He made sure we stayed in the safe part of the town, and when we wanted to venture, he was there making sure we didn't get to far away. Our trip to Boston for real Jerk chicken was cool, and meeting the local people is a must. Again, Bentley made sure that trip to Boston was fun and secure.

Our favorite beach was Frenchman's Cove. It is just a few minutes from Geejam (really just a 5 minute drive). It is a gorgeous beach in a beautiful cove, featuring a mountain stream that flows into a beautiful Caribbean beach- don't miss the photo op! There is a beach chair and rum drink service on the beach, and although some tour groups come through, there is plenty of room to enjoy the beach. Not many locals there. Again, a call from our Digicel to Geejam, and we were picked up in no time.

The beach you CAN NOT miss is Winifred's Beach. This is more of a local's beach and features a large, expansive shoreline. There are stalls selling drinks, porridge and jerk chicken, all very local (meaning, open air, a few locals and dogs wandering about). We got some porridge and Ting and loved it. The snorkeling at Winifred's was wonderful. We met a fisherman and talked to him about the area's fishing. There are a few locals who will come by to sell you some stuff; a friendly "no thanks" and they'll move on. No worries.

Geejam was kind enough to organize a day trip of boating and snorkeling. I'm not sure if it was the time of year or not, but we were the only ones on the boat. Again, this boating day trip is HIGHLY recommended! We had a blast. The boat captain took us all along the coastline, which had spectacular views of homes, resorts (got to see Geejam from the water) and the gorgeous coastline. We visited Blue Lagoon, which was nice but because a mountain spring comes up under the lagoon, the water was freezing cold, very deep and only had a few feet of visibility (Frenchman's and Winifred's had dozens of feet of visibility). He dropped us off at Monkey Island, which was incredible. The island is uninhabited, and there was one other (local) couple there on the tiny beach. It was wonderful having the island and beach to ourselves. From the beach, we swam over to Norse Point and the homes there, about a quarter mile away. The water was clear, warm and beautiful. Again, Geejam made sure we had ample drinks, our snorkeling gear, a ride to/from the boat landing, and that everyone knew we were guests of Geejam.

We also took a rafting trip down the Rio Grande, a somewhat expensive trip (about US$350 for a couple) but one that my wife enjoyed so much. The rafting trip took a few hours and had breathtaking views of the mountains and jungle. Tips- bring a few coins for the kids who will swim out to your raft at the beginning of the trip and bring you flowers. We also bought a model of the raft as a souvenir, be sure to bargain and pay for it at the end. Anyway, the raft guide will stop at anytime to allow you to swim. The water depth goes from a few inches to 50 feet, and the raft travels at a leisurely pace befitting Jamaica. We stopped halfway for a meal included in the trip. This meal was cooked at the riverside and was very local. We loved it. At the end of the trip, Bentley was there to take us back to Geejam.

Yes, this is a LONG review, but we hope it will help you to decide if Geejam is for you. The luxury and attention to guest needs is incredible. We never expected the food to be that good or the service to be so wonderful. We didn't want the typical all inclusive sequestered resort experience with a bunch of newly weds acting like they were on Spring Break. We got a perfect blend of luxury and local; the security of an all inclusive resort without the buffet, but with an incredible selection of activities/food choices. We want to go back! Thank you everyone at Geejam!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jabostarks
Stockholm
Reviewed 13 December 2009

My girlfriend & I travelled the entire island in November & December 2009, from Trenchtown in Kingston to the rural south coast to the touristic north coast, and tried to see it all. Finally we wrapped up by spending almost a week in Port Antonio & Geejam.

Upon arrival we had some lunch and already there I understood this place would be something completely different to any of the other experiences we've had in Jamaica. Tim, or Hubert, (bartender) & Chris (chef) immediately made us feel like home and after only one hour we felt like they we're our friends. Chris prepares your meal to whatever specification you like. For being West Indies I would say the food and cooking is nothing short of outstanding. We had all our best meals prepared by Chris.
The service from Tim was impeccable - he was very keen on any request and remembered all little details about your preferences.
Also Aiola was willing to make that extra effort for which I am very grateful.

We stayed in the Drum & Bass suite which is beneth the studio completely secluded from the rest of the compound. I would say this is undoubtedly the best room for 2 people. Spacious, secluded and beautiful.

There are many activities if you want. We visited the beaches, especially Frenchmans Cove was great, and Somerset Falls which is a waterfall 30 min away - at that particular morning it was pouring down so the watermasses were dramatic! However, I think the excursion itself was overcharged.

Port Antonio was calm and people are very friendly. Unlike the tourist resorts people here will not force themsleves on you in trying to sell something.

I would recommend Geejam to all of you who like to see something else than Ocho Rios or Montego Bay. Anyone who are interested in Jamaica/Jamaicans or if you're simply looking for a relaxing holiday in a place that feels like home away from home!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OzzyStockholm
omaha,ne
Reviewed 17 October 2009

We were wed at GeeJam a year ago. Their first wedding I believe! I searched and searched for the perfect place for a private destination wedding. We wanted a non-typical resort vacation. A wedding and vacation that was 'ours'. This was exactly what we received.

We loved GeeJam. It is like your own little paradise found. We literally did not have to pick up a finger our entire trip.

A few highlights....

Our wedding! Thank you to Iola Especially for making our wedding special! Thanks also to the Reverand Farr. What a lovely man!

Our day at Winnifred Beach - Thanks to Tim for playing host. The best lobster we've had!

Scuba Diving - Love Lady G'Diver. What a personalized tour. Can't say enough good things about Jan and Steve!

Rio Grande Raft Ride - Be sure to de-raft and climb Scatter Falls! Amazing!

Having the staff deliver our wedding cake to our room nightly until it was gone!

The custom made festival the chef was making for me by the end of the trip!

If you are looking for a laid back, ecological, local Jamaican experience I highly recommend GeeJam! Can't wait to go back!

As they say at GeeJam....1 Love. We love GeeJam!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Great weather, great food, incredible views, and amazing personal and friendly service. I was on first name terms with all the staff from the minute I arrived and was given my own mobile, which came in extra handy each time I left the property. The beaches are beautiful, but far more memorable for me, is the setting of the hotel in the middle of the rain forest.I have never seen so much green in any one place. Combined with the wonderful sea views, it really is nature at its finest.

I stayed in Sandwood, and would thoroughly recommend this to anyone with a family,whether young children or teenagers.

While it rained regularly at the crack of dawn, by the time I got up each morning, my veranda had already dried out and for the rest of the day, the weather was perfect.

It really is the ultimate place to chill out. I can't wait to go back soon.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank BoseSystem
Denver
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Ditto with most reviewers about this little gem. I've stayed at two other Island Outpost resorts(Caves and Goldeneye) and Geejam was far the superior --especially in the service category. But for all us travelsnobs out there I'll forego the gushing and give you my review. We do have to start by raising the bar, since I went to Geejam with the idea it was a 5 star, because thats what most reviewers led me to believe. And of course, you're paying for it. Its almost there, but not quite.

Room--We stayed in Ska--a little more secluded and private--view is indeed like you're in a treehouse. Starke-ish on the inside and very state of the art electronics and yes, they work. Bathroom shower is cool---W-ish without all the broken stuff--(yes, that's a dig, Starwood) rainforest shower head, shower is large--water pressure is good, temperature, etc. Bathroom is small.... if you love lotsa bathroom stuff, not a ton of room.

Jacuzzi is weak--just a 4 person jacuzzi you'd pick up at the spa supersale--I felt that non imaginative.

Food- It was my impression there was some award winning cook doing cutting edge Asian influenced recipes--

Guess he was on vacation.

Anway the cook deserves an A for some killer Jamaican....I love spicy...My girlfriend didn't--so she ate cheeseburgers. I was happy as hell. Food was good, not a ton of variety.

Facilities and surrounding area:

You do feel like its your own private resort. I'm not sure any other guests where there when I was except for the owners who were at the private villa--He was very gracious to allow us to use his pool. I mention this because they were in the middle of construction for there private beach and pool and it is really needed. Yes, plenty of water within minutes of a drive, but the addition of a pool for resort guests and a private beach area will be welcome additions.

Bush Bar has a beautiful view and is as advertised. I felt like I was on vacation dining outside.

You may be mingling with some local musicians, who stop for a drink after recording. Geejam as you know was first a recording studio....unless you are a professional and decided to make your new record here, it really doesn't matter though. We got a tour and got to see a part of a session...if that turns you on, then take it into consideration...if you think you're gonna talk tour stories over a Red Stripe wtih Mick Jagger--c'mon on now.

Frenchman's cove is the beach. If I went back, that would be the only beach I'd go off the resort. Well deserved ranking.

Blue Lagoon....not quite sure what to call that....I guess you need to take the boat ride...what I saw was a boarded up beach resort with a boat ramp opening and a couple of local 'hole in the boat' raft tours....lol.

\Guess the Blue Lagoon was on vacation that week.

Went to the rest of the beaches .... but felt Frenchman's was most beautiful by far and also in privacy....I've been going to Jamaica for 20 years now.. Jamaican's are proud, lovely, spirited, positive, peaceful people...and they are broke as hell...and you are staying at Geejam....... remember that and just enjoy the experience with the local flair. It is part of the charm of any Jamaican vacation to be sure.

I'm a scuba diver...I brought my gear...

The dive master was on vacation too.

Service-

Fantastic --

Fantastic in general....Super fantastic for Jamaica. The cel phone idea was very wise....I went on a bike ride and lost my girlfriend...I called for help and they were right on it.

I always measure service based upon the little extras like that, and Geejam's staff delivered. Drivers were great--courteous, professional. Can't say enough.

So my friends from The Travelsnob, its the best there is in Jamaica--Set your expectations to Island time, expect a laid back romantic getaway, and let Geejam do its thing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!