“Paradise found”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Brooklyn NY
“Paradise found”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Coming to Jamaica for over 13 years now I finally found the perfect place to stay, relax and enjoy Jamaica at its best - Geejam located on a hill in a beautiful lush jungle garden overlooking Mack Bay. This gem of a modern hotel in the midst of nature will make you feel at home. Enjoy a perfect Jamaican breakfast on your veranda, listen to the sounds of the sea and savor the sweet smell of blossoms in the air. Neil, Geejam's personal trainer not only has developed his own stretching technique, he is also the perfect guide to Geejams new beach garden. Enjoy the pimento, almond, lemon and guava trees lining this pristine private beach. Geejam - you will never get closer to the garden of eden.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Hale
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at Geejam for 5 nights on our honeymoon earlier this month. If you are looking for a uniquely hip venue, for cool vibes, for seclusion and privacy and for the most beautiful rainforest setting then Geejam is for you.

Of the two owners, Jon Baker was away in the UK but we were made very welcome by the immensely cool Steve Beaver. The staff were enormously friendly and the service laid back but excellent. We were given a cellphone upon arrival to ring whenever we wanted anything. You want a delicious breakfast served on your balcony overlooking the rainforest and the ocean? Just a quick call: No problem. You want driving to the beach? No problem. Ready to head back? Quick call: No problem. The phone also included Steve and Jon's numbers should you have any questions or need anything at all. Your happiness really is their prime concern and, within reason, there is very little that is too much trouble. For example, my only gripe on our stay was a local cockerell that woke us up in the early hours on occasion. We later found out that upon hearing this, Steve had sent someone to buy the cockerell so that it wouldn't disturb us anymore. That shows the lengths to which Geejam will go to make your stay special.

Geejam has its own private beach which has just opened: small but lovely and secluded. However, the nearby Frenchman's Cove, former playground of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, was stunning.

The food, served in the wonderfully cool bush bar or on your balcony if you prefer, was in the main, superb and their Mango Daiquiris are summer in a glass.

Our room was a luxury cabin called Ska: ultra chic in white, with state of the art TV and sound systems a fabulous shower room and a view to die for. The balcony has two levels, the lower one housing a jacuzzi which was the perfect way to end a romantic evening.

We can't say very much about the surrounding area and nightlife because, frankly, we never wanted to leave Geejam. Maybe next time.

For me, however, the highlight was the recording studio. Although working as a lawyer, I trained as a singer and, having written a song for my wife, found the thought of recording that song on our honeymoon just too hard to resist. The fact that Amy Winehouse had been recording there only a few weeks before didn't hurt either. Geejam gave us 3 complimentary hours in the studio and I went along expecting to perhaps record my song with simple piano and voice. However, thanks to the extraordinary sound engineer, Dale 'Dizzle' Virgo, the track soon had drums, bass and strings and was sounding incredibly professional witin a very small space of time. Not to mention the absolutely breathtaking view of the ocean from the window of the studio while I was recording the track. Truly an experience of a lifetime. My wife enjoyed her burger in the control room too!

Would we go back? Yeah man.

One love.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Miami
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I stayed at Geejam earlier this month. I had seen the hotel on-line prior to my stay and just had very high expectations based on the website and my treatment during the booking process. They absolutely exceeded my expectations. From the moment that we reached the gates, we felt as if we had no worries. This could absolutely never compare to an all inclusive. It's worth taking the drive and definitely worth the cost.

I would definitely return. I hope to return sooner rather than later.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank ExplorerMiami
Elizabethville
Reviewed 17 March 2010

The staff at Geejam are so very accommodating and cheerful, it was an exilerating experience....one that I would do again and again....hope to see everyone soon at Geejam

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
NYC
Reviewed 17 March 2010

At GeeJam you are truly made to feel that your are the treasured guests of the proprietors, John and Steve. The personal service and laid back style that they have so meticulously created amidst an almost surreal and lovely setting unparalleled on Jamaica.
Immediately upon your arrival in Kingston you are treated with friendliness and kindness by the Island Outpost lounge personnel. As lovers of the island and its music and culture, we have come to expect from our frequent visits an instant sense of peace and belonging once we arrive. The staff at GeeJam seemed to instinctively sense this and catered to our needs as graciously as we saw them attend to new visitors to Jamaica. Truly, there was nothing that they seemed incapable of providing, with the exception of a brief shortage of limes.

The nearby beaches are beautiful and nice for non-swimmers and mermaids alike. Neil at the gym offers amazing stretch sessions or killer work outs, what ever you prefer. The food was fresh and cooked to order. The setting in the rain forest was a welcome relief from the typical resort environment, and provided a true connection to one of the lesser known landscapes that Jamaica has to offer.

And the coffee was perfect.

For those seeking privacy and excellent service, you could not do better. If you are looking for space to just relax, or inspiration from the island vibe to create something special in the recording studio, this is the place.

Can't wait to book our return.

Anne & Steve

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City
Reviewed 9 March 2010

During my stay at Geejam I was treated to the most delectable menu everyday which had different selections to satisfy even my carribean ox-tail craving. The fruit was so fresh and the drinks refreshing even with the top of the line rum. The atmosphere very relaxing yet the ambiance so sexy and naturally pleasing to the eye. The beach was truly an experience with the clear water, red decor, and the highly attentative wait staff.
I look forward to traveling to Geejam again and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Austin
Reviewed 7 March 2010

My husband and I went to Geejam for our honeymoon the last weekend of January. The one word that we would use to describe it - gorgeous! The staff were always friendly and were always accommodating to any request that we made. We stayed at the Rocksteady and enjoyed several mornings on the balcony eating breakfast and enjoying the beautiful scenery. The Rocksteady is right next to the gym ( to work off all the food that you will be indulging in ) and also right next to the music studio. We were graciously given a tour of the music studio - amazing!
Unfortunately the private Geejam beach was not completed when we were there, but are looking forward to checking it out the next time we go visit. Frenchmans Cove was also closed down due to a movie being filmed there. However, the owners were gracious enough to give us a complimentary tour of the rest of the beaches - Winnifred and SanSan. We pretty much stuck to SanSan during our 1 week stay. It's a complimentary drive from the hotel and fairly secluded and has great places for snorkeling. Monkey Island is also just across the way ( the island where Blue Lagoon was filmed ). Gorgeous scenery all around :)
We would also recommend doing the air transport from the airport to the hotel. It's a much shorter ride ( 45 minutes as compared to the two hour drive from the airport to the hotel). Bear in mind that ground transportation is free for the round trip from the airport to the hotel as long as you stay more than 4 nights. My husband and I opted for air transport ( $366 air transport from Norman Mailey to Kenjones and $45 ground transport from KenJones to Geejam ) on the way to the hotel and ground transport back to the airport from the hotel. We did find it a little odd that we had to pay for the ground transport from KenJones to Geejam since ground transportation would have been free all the way from Norman Mailey to Geejam.
All in all, my husband and I couldn't have asked for a better place to have had our honeymoon. The ambience at the hotel was so calm, peaceful and breathtaking. The owners and staff were very friendly and always had a smile on their faces. We are looking forward to making this a yearly destination for us.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!