“Loved it!!!”

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Barbados
“Loved it!!!”
Reviewed 20 April 2010

Geejam was suggested to me by a friend who lives in Jamaica. Local knowledge is the best! The hotel was tricky for 20 min to actually find (I was driving a rental) and get to but as a seasoned traveler, these kinds of things add to the whole experience. Once there I immediately realized that it had a sort of relaxed professionalism...my only explanation. The first person I met was a person who seemed to be a grounds man and who immediately handled the situation....luckily I recalled the rooms name and we were taken straight there...no check in counter..nothing! what a concept! a lady showed up moments later with a clip board and a form and left it there for me to sign in, that was the check in process...i love it!

Once there I had every intention of exploring the rest of Portie...Blue Lagoon etc....but once settled in Mento...I had no further use for the vehicle and it didnt move it once until I left the resort.

I met the owners. Steve, one of them, said the resort is described as Robinson Crusoe went to an Apple store....he is so right. Its a blend of rustic and hiteck....

The staff are great...nothing is a problem....and since its a small hotel...the lady who checked us in (brought the clip board) also working in the restaurant....so everyone knows whats happening and who is who, great team work. Great play list also...in resto....loved the Ska music...i think that style of music is making a come back!

The landscaping makes you think you are far away once in your room, in truth the property is not that large in area, best of both worlds.

Will def go back and def suggest it as a must do/see while in Jamaica

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I spent four incredible days at Geejam in April and have nothing but brilliant reviews to report. I have traveled to numerous beach locations for vacations, but Geejam tops my list. The staff at Geejam were friendly and were always right there to meet any requests. Every meal I had was delicious and the views and quiet location of Geejam, with a private beach and personal boat rides to nearby beaches, made it just the location for a relaxing getaway with friends. If you're looking for a more high-energy and populated environment, Geejam is not the place for you. I would recommend Geejam to anyone who seeks the beauty of Jamaica's beaches, the best of the food and service it has to offer, and all in a place that is blissfully quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
World Traveller
Reviewed 16 April 2010

This was my fourth trip to Geejam which is quickly becoming one of my favorite places in the world. The lush setting and spectacular ocean views are only the beginning. The magic of this place is the staff which hands down every time delivers above my expectations. It begins with the drivers who pick you up at the airport and gives you their take on life in the countryside of Jamaica and continues with the meet and greet and the meals. You get the feeling that it is not a job for the geejammers but that they are really glad to see you and interested in your having a very good time. Each time I have gone I have arranged a party and invited friends down from Kingston and Geejam has amazed everyone everytime. On this last trip I had two girls down with me from New York and the chef came and cooked us an amazing dinner at our villa (Sanwood) with right mix of wines and shots! Fantastic! This place is the best of what Jamaica has to offer. It is NOT cheap but it is very good value for what you are paying. Big up to Iyolla who makes the place hum! I am sure I will be back again later this year.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
New York City
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I am one of those people who don't like going on vacation and hearing other people's music. At Geejam though, i found great solace sitting in the comfortable, elegant couch area of the outdoor restaurant/bar overlooking the beautiful sea and lush greens of Port Antonio, soaking up the best music collection of reggae and world music (different sets played adjusted for the time of day. ) The hotel was so accommodating --we were a last minute arrival, and they converted their only room available, a space meant for two, into shelter for the four in our family. In spite of being a tight fit our room "Rock Steady" was completely beautiful and comfortable at the same time. My daughter liked that they gave us our own cel phone - so if ever we had a question we could easily reach whomever we needed. We usually didn't need anything though because everything was already thought of. The hotel was expensive for our budget and the restaurant, particularly so, but the value was there. We'd go back tomorrow!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Port Antonio, Jamaica
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We are resident in Port Antonio and last week we decided to visit our good friend Steve of Geejam to have dinner in their beautiful relaxed Bush Bar, while being serenaded by the ever cool Jolly Boys Mento Band. As we both love and regard these guys and the music they emit from their simple instruments, we were delighted to be there.

When we arrived, we were greeted warmly by two ladies one of whom took care of us throughout the night. We sat in one of those ‘cushy’ red lounges and relaxed to the sounds of their recorded tunes, while being attended to by our waitress, who made sure that she fulfilled our requests and checked back every now and again to see that we were ok.

Dinner was served and we were escorted to our elegantly laid out table. Appetizers were good….and then came the main course ….we had fish and lobster and both were excellent…succulent & tasty…truly delightful. Dessert…the Geejam Brownies were fantastic. All in all we had a wonderful time in a great atmosphere and ….we certainly will be back.

Jacqui & Nino

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqui_2010
Brooklyn NY
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Coming to Jamaica for over 13 years now I finally found the perfect place to stay, relax and enjoy Jamaica at its best - Geejam located on a hill in a beautiful lush jungle garden overlooking Mack Bay. This gem of a modern hotel in the midst of nature will make you feel at home. Enjoy a perfect Jamaican breakfast on your veranda, listen to the sounds of the sea and savor the sweet smell of blossoms in the air. Neil, Geejam's personal trainer not only has developed his own stretching technique, he is also the perfect guide to Geejams new beach garden. Enjoy the pimento, almond, lemon and guava trees lining this pristine private beach. Geejam - you will never get closer to the garden of eden.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Hale
Reviewed 29 March 2010

My wife and I stayed at Geejam for 5 nights on our honeymoon earlier this month. If you are looking for a uniquely hip venue, for cool vibes, for seclusion and privacy and for the most beautiful rainforest setting then Geejam is for you.

Of the two owners, Jon Baker was away in the UK but we were made very welcome by the immensely cool Steve Beaver. The staff were enormously friendly and the service laid back but excellent. We were given a cellphone upon arrival to ring whenever we wanted anything. You want a delicious breakfast served on your balcony overlooking the rainforest and the ocean? Just a quick call: No problem. You want driving to the beach? No problem. Ready to head back? Quick call: No problem. The phone also included Steve and Jon's numbers should you have any questions or need anything at all. Your happiness really is their prime concern and, within reason, there is very little that is too much trouble. For example, my only gripe on our stay was a local cockerell that woke us up in the early hours on occasion. We later found out that upon hearing this, Steve had sent someone to buy the cockerell so that it wouldn't disturb us anymore. That shows the lengths to which Geejam will go to make your stay special.

Geejam has its own private beach which has just opened: small but lovely and secluded. However, the nearby Frenchman's Cove, former playground of Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor, was stunning.

The food, served in the wonderfully cool bush bar or on your balcony if you prefer, was in the main, superb and their Mango Daiquiris are summer in a glass.

Our room was a luxury cabin called Ska: ultra chic in white, with state of the art TV and sound systems a fabulous shower room and a view to die for. The balcony has two levels, the lower one housing a jacuzzi which was the perfect way to end a romantic evening.

We can't say very much about the surrounding area and nightlife because, frankly, we never wanted to leave Geejam. Maybe next time.

For me, however, the highlight was the recording studio. Although working as a lawyer, I trained as a singer and, having written a song for my wife, found the thought of recording that song on our honeymoon just too hard to resist. The fact that Amy Winehouse had been recording there only a few weeks before didn't hurt either. Geejam gave us 3 complimentary hours in the studio and I went along expecting to perhaps record my song with simple piano and voice. However, thanks to the extraordinary sound engineer, Dale 'Dizzle' Virgo, the track soon had drums, bass and strings and was sounding incredibly professional witin a very small space of time. Not to mention the absolutely breathtaking view of the ocean from the window of the studio while I was recording the track. Truly an experience of a lifetime. My wife enjoyed her burger in the control room too!

Would we go back? Yeah man.

One love.

The Trident Hotel
The Trident Hotel
#3 of 16 in Port Antonio
Round Hill Hotel & Villas

Been to Geejam? Share your experiences!