“Excellent food and service in a VERY unexpected location”

Survival Beach Restaurant
Ranked #13 of 43 Restaurants in Port Antonio
Bridgetown, Barbados
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food and service in a VERY unexpected location”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I visited the 'restaurant' with a group of 5 other persons and on our arrival we wondered exactly where was the restaurant. Go expecting the most basic furnishings (plastic chairs and tables)The owner soon flurried out to seat us and promised to deliver some candles to add some light while we waited for our meal which he promised would be ready in 30 mins. Over an hour late our meal arrived however it was one of the best meals I have ever had in my life, Everything was delicious and everyone was more than pleased. The food is much better than Anna Banana's, inexpensive and the wait was the same. Def a MUST try!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Maurita2014

West Coast
“Disappointment”
Reviewed 19 April 2013

We went to this restaurant because we read about it in a travel guide. There were three of went to lunch, but they only brought food for two of us. Yet they charged us for at least three of us. The food was very good, but the man who was smoking marijuana close to our table was very distracting. It was too bad because we enjoyed the food, but we would not recommend this restaurant to others unless you don't mind not getting what you ordered, being overcharged, and inhaling second-hand marijuana smoke.

Visited April 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Awesome Ital Food”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

This was a great place for home-cooked ital (vegetarian/vegan) food. There's no menu, but the chef threw together what he had on hand (and said he tries to prepare different meals each night). It was a nice-sized portion of food and inexpensive, and the tables sit right on the beach. There's no beer or alcohol at Survival Beach Restaurant, but Wi Yard Anna Banana is right next door. We also enjoyed the walk to this place.

Visited January 2013
Los Gatos, California
“Non-touristy delicious local food”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

I saw a review for someone who clearly wanted neat tables and perfect servingware. Non-relevant for this wonderful place by the sea. We love Oliver's cooking and we call ahead to make sure he is ready with enough food for our little group. For people who want the local ital experience, go to Survival Beach!

• Visited February 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Beware - No menu/prices, with stray dogs and ganja smokers - but with a nerve to charge more than Anna Banana!”
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Being vegetarians, we wanted to like the place. The place is a shack - in fact, shack is an understatement and even the daredevil would not try dinner at this joint. Probably the worst environment to eat, even by a 3rd world country standards. The 'decor' was a little scary, but I convinced the wife and kids to be adventurous at least when it's bright outside. So we went for lunch.

I should have been cautious when I actually didn't see the menu with prices. But the nice rasta guy, who was the owner and chef was eager to cook up a good meal for us and we agreed to sit. I was there in Port Antonio for 3 days and we were probably the only folks who ate there.

We wanted to eat some plantain, and the guy said 'no problem mon' and said he will cook a good meal for all of us. The food itself was not bad. It was not hot and I can't imagine them actually cook in a tin room 6'x6'.

There were stray dogs around our table and the beach behind this restaurant was an open latrine. There was an elderly guy smoking weed the whole time we were at the place.

In spite of all this - to top it all off, I got a sticker shock when I saw the bill. It was more than the price we paid for a dinner for 4 at Anna Banana next door. What a ripoff! Read my review of Anna Banana - I would have eaten there EVERYDAY instead of trying other joints in Port Antonio.

Port Antonio itself does not have many places to eat -- be safe and stick with Anna Banana

How is this dump even on tripadvisor?

• Visited December 2012