“I couldn't dream of a better place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kanopi House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
Kanopi House
New York City, New York
“I couldn't dream of a better place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

The cabins are really nice, in the heart of the jungle, lots of space, very clean, huge showers, 30 sec away from the most beautiful lagoon, staff super friendly and flexible, great cooking!! Will definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Calvine_Gary

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at Kanopi 3 years ago and stayed for the 2nd time last month.

This place is amazing and the location is very special. It sits on the Blue Lagoon but the treehouses are well above the Lagoon. We stayed in the Sweet Wood which is a 2 bedroom treehouse. What an amazing treehouse it was! The top floor is your open living area with a kitchen and bathroom. The bottom level has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. The layout and design of Sweet Wood is breathtaking, so beautiful. We loved how the upstairs living area was all open to the surrounding nature. They also have a very nice Bose sound system that is awesome. Loved the music and there is no TV so all you have is the lush greenery and your music.... rough!

We were greeted by our friend Carla and Boxer. These 2 people will make your stay very special. Carla was there on our last visit so coming back and seeing her was such a pleasure and she goes out of her way to see that you are happy and well taken care of. Boxer lives on the grounds and serves as security and I believe he takes care of the property... gardening and keeping the grounds clean. The property is very well kept.

Carla makes a delicious Jamaican breakfast and our group of 4 really enjoyed the food and service that was given.

I think in past reviews both Carla and Boxer have been mentioned and there is good reason for that!

There is a natural beach area with kayaks for use. As on our last visit, we spent the day out and about on these and had so much fun. It is a very peaceful place and with an addition since our last visit of a gazebo type building, even better.

You will need to hire a driver for which Carla will handle for you if you are wanting to get out. They will serve dinners if you request but the location makes it fairly easy and close to get out if you like and as we did. The location is well off the main road and even though walkable, it would be a long walk. It is fairly close (drive) to Boston Jerk, Woody's and some other eateries.

I would recommend Kanopi House for a family event ..... so perfect for that and worked well for us this visit. Also, for a special occasion such as a wedding or honeymoon, perfect!

It was wonderful coming back and hopefully we can return again in the near future!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one week and had a great time. Carla, Boxer and the staff were so friendly and nice, they went out of their way to make sure our stay was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Terri15
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Place is amazing. Beautiful cottages, wonderful staff; very lauded back. Carla cooking was great something new every meal. Awesome lunch on monkey island. You couldn't ask for a better place to get away. Everything and everyone one at kanpoi made our stay relaxing and perfect

• Stayed March 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

We wanted somewhere special for a four day vacation that would be beautiful and quiet, where we wouldn't have to drive to reach a beach, and where we could both do some work easily. Kanopi House was perfect. They offered us the most laid-back, relaxed vacation I've ever had. We were picked up from the airport, driven there. The houses are amazing, the jungle beautiful and you can just walk down the bath to the water's edge at the Blue Lagoon to swim. They have kayaks for you to borrow--no extra charge. You can snorkel easily. Carla was quietly efficient, a great cook, and an excellent communicator. The whole thing is really well run. I've been in places where they promise things and when you get there, the wireless doesn't work/sports equipment isn't there/they're always on the verge of organizing something but never do. This wasn't the case here AT ALL, which is why I think it's such a great place. Everything was exactly as promised--total transparency and honesty. It felt like a great deal. I'd love to come back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank quickcat
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

If you can go with the flow, an elegant and transformative experience awaits you here.

Once a vacation home to a wealthy family, it retains an intimate, elegant yet casual feel. But let's be clear: it's a gorgeous series of tree houses built with thoughtfulness and care on the edge of a JUNGLE, two and a half hours (without traffic) hours from Manley airport, four hours from Kingston, and the roads and images of poverty are often unforgiving.

The property is gorgeous. Each house has it's own small kitchenette and bathroom, as well as a living area. They are all separated from each other so you have a sense of privacy. We mostly kept our windows and doors open, which took us some time to get used to, being New Yorkers.

If you are adventurous and savor the sound of a storm on the leaves of a banana tree while firebugs light up the sky outside the open doors of your room, you will love it. If you want to be able to pick up the house phone (there are none) or flip through cable shows on TV (none) you will probably be better served at a resort where there is a pool (none) and the usual fare.

That said, you would miss the exquisite care of the manager Carla. She was beyond reproach. Helpful, funny, full of joy and kindness and an AMAZING Jamaican cook. Meeting her made me feel as if I got to know about the real spirit of Jamaica even though we rarely strayed from the property.

If you have had enough of the world, need a break, can handle a fair bit of adventure, and can go with the flow, this property will not disappoint. It has a very special magic all it's own.

Room Tip: Remember, most rooms have a jungle view, but the water is very close. Ask if you want a water view...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blueglitterfish
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

I booked and confirmed a booking for the night of Tuesday 11th October at the rate of $240. She confirmed that payment had been taken from my boyfriend's card by email at the time of booking. On Tuesday morning we set out from Ocho Rios to Port Antonio which is about an hour and a half drive.

The road to the hotel was apparently damaged in recent rain, however we attempted it in our rental which was a Toyota Yaris. In the attempt to get up the hill, we got a flat tyre and reversed down the hill as it had proved impossible in that type of car. We then decided to walk up the hill to the property which we did and found the reception cabin. We called out several times and we both even managed to use the restroom and still saw no sign of anyone.

We then returned to the car to proceed with changing the tyre ourselves at which point a lady came along from the direction of the main road. I explained what had happened and she very abruptly said "well all other cars make it up there". She then phoned a person called Michael and let me speak to him. I explained our predicament and he even agreed with me that that kind of car wouldn't make it up the hill. Due to the lack of any reception and the issue with the car, I then asked if we could have a refund as there was no way of us actually getting up to the property. Michael said that he didn't think that wouldn't be a problem and that he would have to speak to the office and he would phone back.

We then proceeded to deal with the flat tyre and the fair lady then sent down a gentleman named Buxton, who apologised and said he had been trying to fix the road a little by placing rocks in some of the potholes etc, but that he hadn't had a chance to do much. He helped my boyfriend with the tyre while I went up to the reception to speak to the lady. I explained to her that I was just awaiting confirmation from Michael that we would get a refund and she said quite off handedly that she didn't know if that would be possible as money had already been spent! She tried calling Michael again and there was no answer so she gave me his contact numbers and we returned to Ocho Rios very disappointed as we were so looking forward to staying at your property as had heard great things and blue lagoon is one of my favorite places in Jamaica.

I phoned Michael on Wednesday 12th oct in the morning and he confirmed that the refund was going to be processed that day but they may be a deduction for the housekeeper. To be honest, I thought that was a bit out of line, but I went with it as he said the charge was about $12 US. Michael said that I would get an email confirming the refund on Wednesday also. My boyfriend and I are now in England and there has been no refund to his card and I have not received an email as Michael had promised.

I have tried contacting Michael many times and to no avail and it is now 4th Nov.

I cannot tell you how disappointed I am. I am a Jamaican currently living in England and was visiting with my boyfriend and this was his first trip to Jamaica. I have emailed the owner of the property and still we have not been refunded. I feel that our money has been stolen as we tried our best to stay and arrived on time and there was no where for us to park and no offer of assistance with parking securely and taking luggage to the room.

For the prices they charge, there are many other beautiful properties in Jamaica to stay at and they actually know the meaning of customer service!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn
#2 of 36 in Ocho Rios
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,198 reviews

Been to Kanopi House? Share your experiences!