Kanopi House
Tropical Lagoon Resort(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$159
Moon San Villa(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$295
US$202
San San Tropez Villa-Hotel(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$93
Priceline
Jamaica Palace Hotel(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$123
Hotel Jamaican Colors(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
Goblin Hill Villas at San San(Port Antonio)
US$199
Great Huts(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$65
  • Breakfast included
The Trident Hotel(Port Antonio)
US$759
Geejam(Port Antonio)
US$538
All reviewsalmond treetree houseupper deckblue lagoonoutdoor showerremarkable placelush natureprovided greatboat mannearest airportboat rideconch soupwinifred beachspectacular viewssmall beachsan san beachan adventure
Reviewed 16 December 2010

The pictures on website do not capture the true beauty of vibe of Kanopi House. I would recommend to everyone I know, except petty, bitter tourists like the reviewer who ranted about cockroaches. The rooms are always cleaned, and our room in particular Upper Deck was immaculate.

If traveling from Norman Manley airport to Port Antonio, be prepared to travel on rocky and windy terrain for about 3 hours. Very beautiful and interesting though, so soak it all in. When we arrived, we totally had a "where the hell am i?" moment. It was truly a jungle paradise. The best of both worlds really; the mountainous, green terrain which also sits on the gorgeous Blue Lagoon.

The staff is sincerely friendly and helpful. Karla, Boxer in particular made our trip the best.

I loved our room. Wooden floors, glass windows facing the jungle (no one can see inside) , comfortable wooden furniture, tropical flowers.

The moment that defined our trip, was when we woke up groggy, looked around us, then looked at each other and said simultaneously "This is paradise"

Fantastic. The food amenities could be improved though, and be more consistent - if they define their service as all inclusive.

Kanopi House is not for you, if you are a tight a$s. Yes its more relaxed than a hotel chain, but that makes it part of the great experience you will have there. Very therapeutic.

Make sure to leave a tip for the wonderful staff.

4  Thank natsilicious
Reviewed 12 December 2010

My experience at Kanopi House ranks in the top vacations I've ever had. I can only take one vacation a year, so this year I decided to go with some friends to Jamaica. Kanopi House was actually recommended to me by another friend, who raved so much that we had to find out what it was all about.

The ride to Kanopi House is definitely long, but it's a trip thought a number of Jamaica's main cities on the East side of the island. For a few bucks, the driver took us on a tour of the areas as we drove though them, from basic facts about the country, to specific info about the various cultures that exist throughout the island.

Kanopi House includes some incredible architecture in terms of the actual rooms - which I've never seen anywhere else. It's basically a number of huge tree houses, with 5 star amenities. Another element that I really enjoyed was the food - something different every night, and 18 year old Zacapa rum to end the days. Perfect. Our activities included a bon fire on the beach (20 ft. waves!), a trip though the caves of a huge waterfall, a private beach trip, kayaking, and several memorable dinners.

I highly recommend planning a trip Kanopi House - you won't forget it.

1  Thank Preemo
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Reading the review below is shocking - and could not be any further from my experience at Kanopi House. Let me preface my review by saying that if you are looking for a typical touristy trip to Jamaica this is not the place for you. If you like adventure, living within the beauty of Jamaica, "low-impact luxury" and actually seeing Jamaica how it actually is this is the only place in Jamaica for you.

We (2 couples) arrived in Kingston and took the 3 hour drive to Kanopi. Yes, the conditions of the roads are not to the standards of the States - there are huge potholes that the drivers have to swerve to avoid (hence the swerving back and forth), but I never felt that our driver was dangerous.

The "cabins" are absolutely stunning, built high in the trees in a beautiful lush landscape. Yes, you are in the bush, so there will be mosquitoes, and bugs... I'm highly allergic to mosquitoes and happen to also attract them and I did not have a problem a little bug spray wouldn't solve. I loved that the cabins were completely integrated in the forest, but again if you are one of those people who needs bleached everything and is freaked out by nature - not the place for you. Yes, the water pressure was not what I am used to in my personal home with my 30 setting shower in Miami, but you are not home - you are in Jamaica and frankly taking the extra 2 minutes to rinse the shampoo out of my hair was not a deal breaker or even affected my mood whatsoever. Also, we were 4 people staying with a single cabin and NEVER had an issue with the hot water - maybe because we didn't take 30 minutes each in the shower.

The first morning we settled in, we opened up the doors that lead to the balcony to the gorgeous view of the trees and the blue hole a few steps from our cabin. We slowly made our way the the great house (where meals are served). I'm not a big adventurer when it comes to exotic food, so I was a little taken aback when breakfast was served, but once i took the first bite I was sold. The fritters were amazing.

Carla helped us get our excursions organized - a visit to a few waterfalls and "rafting" over the course of our stay. The waterfalls were spectacular - and the best part was they weren't filled with tourists. This is where the locals go (best way to visit a country if you ask me). The "rafting" was also incredible - and not the kind of rafting you expect. I anticipated like white water rafting - no, no - you sit on this handmade bamboo raft and are propelled by an awesome "boat captain" and you sit back and enjoy the scenery. They even had a "bar" raft which would come around with Red Stripe - awesome touch. For lunch we stopped at a little bank they had set up with fresh BBQ and music. It was so incredibly amazing.

The Blue Hole on the property is also incredible. Right off of their little private beach, we would take the kayaks out in the morning for a little morning exercise (whenever we wanted to kayak there was one available for us).

One lazy afternoon, we went to Frenchman's Cove which was a quick drive from Kanopi and albeit filled with more tourists, definite must-see.

Also, in reference the bar... how do I put this without sounding like a lush? Between the four of us, we drained approximately 2 bottles of wine and lots and lots of rum a day. We never ran out of booze or mixers. Personal recommendation - when in Jamaica, drink rum, not cosmos.

Overall, this was one of my favorite vacations - the right amount of adventure and leisure and super romantic for the couples out there.

2  Thank lala0425
Reviewed 9 December 2010

So I just recently returned from a 4day stay at Kanopi House, I went with a couple of my friends. What a trip! We initially were going to stay in Montego Bay but we opted for a more secluded and non-resort like feel. Best choice we could have made!! Its quite the culture shock when you walk out of the airport in Kingston and take that 3 hour drive to Portland, that drive has its moments of question but it's more due to the mostly rocky unfinished roads. Those thoughts quickly dissipated once we reached Kanopi House. The pictures on the website give you a clear representation of what to expect but don't do enough justice to the beauty and work that went into buliding this paradise, it is GORGEOUS!! Coupled with the beauty of Jamiaca itself, its a melding of tasteful craftsmanship and serene beauty, there are trees growing through the roofs of the rooms, it feels like the rooms were made around the trees! The staff was courteous and Carla made sure everything was fine with us. One of the highlights was the next morning, we had forgot where we were and we opened the windows of the room to 60ft trees and palms with the BLue Lagoon peaking through the palms, sunlight dancing of the deep browns of the furniture, I could have stayed in that room the whole time and just relaxed and read a book. Oh and let me tell you a Jamiacan breakfast is a great breakfast! Nothing like snacking on some banana fritters, a cup of Blue Mountain coffee, and a cigarette, just glorious! As much as we enjoyed the kayaking and snorkeling in the Blue Hole, the culture of Jamiaca was the real treat. Being able to travel and chat up locales in the jerk restaurants/bars, raft in the Rio Grande (that was so much fun), visit Somerset Falls and Reach Falls, were indescribable (but I'll try) excursions that we will never forget. The Falls themselves are so different from what we are used to in the states, there are caves and trails surrounded by lush vegetation that create this intoxcation with nature, the smells and tastes generate an atmosphere unlike I have ever experienced, truly magnificient. Returning from our exhausting adventures it's always nice to be greeted by Carla and Kimberly and for dinner (which was delicious) chatted by the hilarious Michael Fox, one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. My friends and I had a great time, not really anything to complain about. That's why I'm kinda shocked to read that family review, those problems seem kinda petty to me but maybe they were expecting more white glove service which Kanopi isn't about. Overall we had an incredible time and I hope to return very soon!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Looking at its website, the Kanopi House seems like a dream come true, with professional service, excellent dining/drinks, and activities. However, after spending 4 days at the 'resort', we realized we were wrong. Although Kanopi House is situated at a beautiful location, this is unarguable, there are many changes needed to be made so that the hotel matches the location, the advertisement, and price.

After arriving at the Montego Bay Airport, we were surprised that we were not attended by a van to comfortably fit 5 people. As we are five people with luggage, this is the least we would expect. Not only that, but the driver wanted to fit our luggage in another taxi. After riding in the car for five minutes, my wife noticed she sat on a broken seat. Every time the driver would speed up or slow down, the seat moved right along. The driver simply ignored the fact that roads in Jamaica are dangerous, and continuously spoke on his cell phone, with one hand on the wheel, swerving left and right. The drive is more than two and a half hours we were told; it is a little over FOUR hours.

After unpacking upon arriving at night, we were joined by another guest in our room, a black rat (4 inches) coming out of one of the downstairs bedrooms into the hallway. The only hostess tried to convince us that it was a grey squirrel and that this should not be a big concern since, "We are in the bush." We then moved to another house for one night, but the house was very small for 5 people. No one spotted the rat again, so we switched back to our original house the following day. We slept and walked around in extreme discomfort for the remaining 3 days, knowing that there was a huge rat somewhere.

There were other surprises in the room. Trying to shower, my wife and daughter took forever since solely a trickle of water came out of the shower upstairs and there was not sufficient hot water for 5 people to shower around the same time. I then checked out the boiler under the house and realized why. The boiler was way too small for 3 bathrooms. After our second night, we wanted to drink some tea in the morning. When opening the sugar jar, I found a couple of black bugs in the sugar. There were cobwebs in the bathrooms, and no shower curtains either. Some of the bedsheets were stained and had holes. The rooms were very dark as well, Many lamps were burned out. The towels were few and small without anyone replacing them during the day if moist. We could never find housekeeping to take care of our necessities or figure out how housekeeping worked. We found out that our sheets and towels were washed and dried underneath the 'dining' hall when walking up the stairs in the morning. There we a lot of ants and cockroaches in the house. We even had two cockroaches in our suitcases when we unpacked at home

Another surprise after arriving at the hotel was the dining hall and bar. Expecting a full bar as advertised, we reached the 'dining' hall', where there was a bottle of whiskey, of rum and 3 bottles of wine and some cookies. We innocently asked, where the real dining hall and bar were, and again, were surprised to find out that that was indeed the bar and the dining hall/reception. Basically, we did not know what we were going to eat for lunch, dinner, or breakfast, as the only person working there prepared what she felt like cooking, without suggesting/discussing a possible menu (not as advertised under Cuisine on website). The food made did not match our taste, but what could we do? We ended up finding an excellent restaurant close called Bush Bar at the Geejam Hotel where we dined and had lunch 3 times. We highly recommend it!

It was hard to do things at Kanopi House. Outlets didn't work and getting WiFi was a hassle. We had to get a code daily and it was difficult to obtain it; no one knew what the code was. My kids wanted to go kayaking, but there were only 3 kayaks for our family and the other couple there (who arrived on our second day), and 2 masks for snorkeling. There were two chairs by the Blue Lagoon, and they were filthy; there was a towel there that seemed to have been there for years.

The overall feeling we had of the hotel was that it was the completely lost, forgotten, forsaken Kanopi House. There was no management whatsoever. No man's land. We did not feel safe and we did not feel comfortable. Quite honestly, my kids dreaded having to return to Kanopi House whenever we went for a meal somewhere else.

This hotel is in need of serious management and a big re-do. I hope that you will find this review helpful as it is simply the truth about our extremely OVER-PRICED(!!!!!!!) experience. We hope no other guests will have to go through what we went through. This reminds me of my backpacking days staying at youth hostels thirty years ago, but then I got what I paid for.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family