extremely disappointing four-night visit. the best aspects of mockingbird hill are the lush, well-tended grounds and gorgeous sunset view from the 2nd floor lounge. the upgraded room we had was clean & compfortable, but nothing spectacular. and it didn't make-up for the bland, hit & miss meals; especially since there are no other restaurants close by. from local fare like ackee and saltfish - mastered at any roadside stand, but inspid here - to a veggie burger that crumbled like mush, the food was appalling. a few good desserts and an inventive collection of homemade breads, but no real flair or consistency in the kitchen. and the well-meaning, but ill-equipped interns staffing the dining room this summer rendered an overall amateurish vibe. we also had a poor customer service experience with one of the owner operators: when we realized we were being charged a la carte for our first breakfast, i showed her our email confirmation - signed by her partner - that detailed up signing up for the meal plan. she got huffy and told us she didn't know anything about it, because it was "computer generated" and waved her handwritten notes in our faces. this is a great location, near lovely frenchman's cove beach and the bustling, historic town of port antonio. if you chose this hotel, plan to eat elsewhere. the staff also exerts lots of pressure to sign up for outings/taxis arranged by them which are overpriced. you're better off getting a contact for the gov't sanctioned JUTA (Jamaica Union of Travellers Association) taxi company from your local tourist board - (kingston headquarters (876) [--] or [--] - and making your own arrangements.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Best eco boutique hotel in Port Antonio, Jamaica. Set on a hilltop on Jamaica's northeast coast between the majestic Blue Mountains and the Caribbean Sea, Hotel Mockingbird Hill is Jamaica's foremost 'green' hotel minutes from the most romantic Frenchman's Cove Beach. A tranquil, serene, sanctuary with breathtaking vistas, laid back luxury and world class cuisine, Hotel Mockingbird Hill is the ultimate, authentic Jamaican experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Mocking Bird Hill reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mocking Bird Hill Hotel
- Mocking Bird Hill Port Antonio
- Hotel Mocking Bird Hill Jamaica/Port Antonio