“Overrated”

Ranked #8 of 27 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Overrated”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Cannabis plants in the garden, overpriced cappucino and nobody knew how to work the machine anyway. No TV signal, just snow. When we checked out they tried to charge us for the stay that was prepaid - took the temp help an Italian rasta several hours to make the bill.. nice people but not efficient. Wireless only works in reception. Manager was away in Italy and the assistant manager not usually there.Was very happy to find another hotel where things worked. We booked a so called 2 bed suite which was a bedroom with attached shower toilet and the TV on a rickety table, no desk or sofa. No firdge but we borrowed one from the kitchen.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pennyleese

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Maumee, Ohio
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Idyllic, Spartan, a little warn and yet San San Tropez is AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL! This was our second time in Port Antonio and by far the best. Any trait this villa guesthouse does not posses is made up for by the delightful staff and amazing food. Fabio was in Italy visiting his family, we were disappointed to not meet him. His staff however rolled out the red carpet and we certainly felt like royalty. There was nothing they were not willing to do to accommodate our needs and make staying there relaxing and enjoyable. Riccardo is an amazing chef. We ate all of our meals, except lunch, on the property. Every meal was top-notch. The restaurant alone is a jewel of a find. Phil too not only served up the nicest continental breakfasts but was always available to entertain us and share conversation. Across the road from Frenchman’s Cove, a short walk from Drapers or other local attractions like San San Beach and the Blue Lagoon make this an ideal location. I am missing a number of aspects of time there now back in the States. We made so many delightful memories. I wish I could import that bathroom somehow to my own home... it was well lit, a good window, one of the nicest showers I have ever cleaned up in and a bidet. It reminds me of some of the hotels and guesthouses along the Adriatic Sea north of Greece. How fun it was to be greeted by the villa dog Pino, a Rottweiler/Great Dan mix. He is the most tender soul and certainly contributed joy to our stay. Thank you San San for our delightful stay and thank you Pino for loving us so much!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karmilw
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I just got back from a trip to Jamaica and stayed at the San San Tropez for 4 days and 3 nights. I contacted them prior to my arrival as I had to make some changes and they were incredibly accommodating. The staff were definitely a high point for me, always asking me if I needed anything and going above and beyond to make sure I was taken care of. The hotel is slightly weathered but still charming, and the pool area is very nice. The surroundings and location cannot be beat - within a 5 minute walk are two of the nicest beaches in the area. There is a dog on the premises, but it is gentle and beautiful. There is wireless internet access but I could not get a signal from my room - I had to go to the lobby. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the Portland area.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank A A
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I arrived from NY, hot, sweaty, and badly needing a swim, a shower, a shave, dinner and a cocktail.

The swimming pool was dry, the showers were kaput, and there was practically no water in the taps. No booze except beer, and the vaunted 'fine dining' restaurant no longer exists. I left.

Locals say this used to be a great place, but now things don't seem too good.

Room Tip: Try Frenchman's Cove, across the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank danilovsky
SanSanTropez, Proprietario at San San Tropez Villa-Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Dear guest,
I wish to apologize for your negative experience in relation of your review. I wish just to advise that since year 2009 the months of september and october being too slow to keep all actvities open and up to standard, Restaurant and bar re-open from early November and you are strongly invited next time to try again in our little paradise of San San Tropez where relax & privacy rules, but not too much ! One Love, Fabio
Arthurette, NB
Reviewed 8 December 2011

We were very pleased with this find. Small, quaint, clean, comfortable, large bathroom, set in a tropical rain forest, across the road from a beautiful beach. Wi-fi available only in the small lobby. No fridge in room. Breakfast was a fresh-fruit juice / smoothie, a delicious fruit plate, home made bread and great coffee. Quiet, relaxing and a pleasure indeed!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Iatros W
New York
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Across the street from Frenchman's Cove and its lovely beach, this small hotel is a gem. Beautifully decorated rooms with roomy bathrooms around a pool. Breakfast includes ripe tropical fruit and home-made bread. Not far from the town of Port Antonio with its entertainment but the Italian owner and his staff will also make a pizza for your dinner. Truly charming with a sense of privacy and near everything you will want to see.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed 14 March 2011

Our 3rd trip back to Port Antonio and best week yet! Phil, Ricardo, Tony, Donna and Fabio (Owner) went over & above to make our trip one my husband & I will remember - we hated to leave them!
We stayed in spacious Guava suite, because it was 3 floors up in the rain forest with the double windows that opened out to the trees. King bed, shelves and open closet with hangers, huge walk-in shower with lots of hot water, bidet & toilet with sink (although lighting was a little dim, but they are all about conserving energy). Everything is very clean!
Food was not as cheap as some places, but they have to go to Kingston to get cheese and most stuff...so people don't ever take that into consideration;Ate there 5 of 7 nights.
Note: We asked if there was music out by pool, they rigged it so we had some.
We love the low key, basic island vibe of the place and staff really made our stay there even more enjoyable!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple