“A very personal 'resort'”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port Antonio
The Resort at Wilks Bay
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Port Antonio
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Mary, James and the staff are just lovely and they have the right to call their beautiful place whatever they like but to me the word 'resort' sounds big and a bit institutional and this is more like an oceanfront luxury B&B. Of course that's not quite right either as you will have your own cook taking care of 3 meals a day. You can pick your own menu and go shopping in town at the market. Stacy was wonderful, in our case, lobster on the beach, chicken stew and wonderful fresh Jamaican fruit (ever has a neasberry?) in the morning. Only regret is they only had 3 free nights around Xmas and we had to go somewhere else afterwards. After the warmth and hospitality of Wilks Bay lets just say elsewhere was bound to be less accommodating!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NedR56

Reviewed 7 December 2013

A warm thank you to James, Mary, Angela and all the staff for such a wonderful time. We regret only staying two days! Everything about our time at Wilks Bay was fantastic, Angela's food, the grounds, the room, everything.

In our short stay, there was an abundance of little touches that made our stay so excellent: Angela making sure we ate like royalty, James "rescuing" my 6'5" boyfriend from ankle deep water; James inviting my boyfriend to teach one of the morning Chi Gong classes; making sure we had enough cocktails towards the end of the night, taking us to Soji's (sp?) for crayfish, being so kind to let us use their phone on multiple occasions to satisfy a curious grandmother living in Kingston, taking us for an informal "tour" of James' hometown, plus many more and to top it all off...... without any request, Angela and all the staff played a role in surprising my boyfriend for his 33rd birthday by baking a cake, gathering fresh coconut water, James sharing his own bottle of rum and gathering all the guests and staff to surprise him and sing him happy birthday.

We very much enjoyed talking with other guests and the small scale and true hospitality we experienced. We felt like we were visiting family and friends rather than staying in a hotel.As other reviews mention, the grounds are beautiful, the rooms clean, spacious and comfortable.

We have found a home away from home in Port Antonio, due in large part to the wonderful experience at Wilks Bay. We will be back and I highly recommend booking a stay here.

Thank you Wilks Bay, next time the rum is on us.

1  Thank Natalie191
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We spent a wonderful and memorable night at Wilks Bay. We had a perfect time. We received first class attention, the lobster dinner was divine, the facilities perfect...as for the snorkeling, one word, breathtaking. We'll be going back, for sure!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ackee7
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I will do my best to refrain from writing an entire book about how simply AMAZING this place is. The feeling of gratitude from the treatment and experience I had at Wilks Bay is something I will never ever forget and will always carry with me. Going to Jamaica and staying at Wilks Bay was the best decision and vacation experience i've ever had. Mary and James are the sweetest, most giving, caring and hospitable people you will meet on the island! Their entire staff is so wonderful they are definitely a reflection of Mary and James. Brenda was our cook and she was so lovely and her food was the best EVER! I will miss her cooking, warmth and Lemon Merengue Pie. Dear God that pie was so good. At Wilks Bay you have a sense of being home, especially since James and Mary treat you like family it's really the best feeling in the world. The resort itself is so beautiful, clean, cozy, private enough to feel like you have privacy without feeling so secluded from the rest of the world. Mary and James accommodated anything we needed without any hesitation, they are the sweetest people! This resort beats going to a cold, out of touch, impersonal mega-hotel any day by far! I will definitely be back to Wilks Bay. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! I wish I was still there....

TIP: BRING WATER SHOES, PLEASE!! Sea Urchins are no joke, I would know! it also helps to have them when you go to Reach Falls, which is a MUST!!

Room Tip: It was me and my bf's 3 year anniversary and we stayed in the cottage. it was so lovely, it was...
1  Thank Andrea M
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This was my second trip back to Wilks Bay (and with very good reason)! I didn't think it could get any better following my last trip there a couple of years ago, but it did! The setting is wonderful, with all the bedrooms looking out across the aquamarine bay, with it's coral formations and stunning fish. It was amazing to eat breakfast sat in front of the sea, with butterflies and humming birds darting around the nearby plants and fruit trees, or to walk along the little secluded beach searching for hermit crabs.
Evening swims in the lit up pool right by the ocean (which I always got entirely to myself) were also a favourite, mainly because it 'justified' the three course dinners which followed! Desserts not to miss include: pineapple pie, sweet potato pudding and banana cake with a rather amazing whipped cream (undoubtedly containing a fair amount of rum)!
What really made the place extra special was the hospitality of the owners though. It was great to get a chauffeured tour of the local area with local knowledge, or to be shown how to snorkel, and it really seemed no request was too much for them. (I might have to go back next year just to see if I can make a ridiculous dinner request they can't fulfil!) For a little bit of paradise with added comfort definitely head to Wilks Bay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank --Anna-Laura--x
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Excellent facilities and perfect hosts, one of the few no hassle, no hustle vacation spots on the island. Nice little bay, with a great beach next door. Make sure to get vanilla croissant from Mary's friend and have Jim take you out to his friend's seafood shack just uphill from Port Antonio...

My Wife and I are working temporairly in Kingston and this is our favorite escape. We've stayed all over the island, but this is the only place we've gone back to... at least 5 times now. San San, our favorite beach is a 1 minute walk and swimming from the Wilk's Bay pier is a great experience. When I leave Jamaica, there are two thing's I'll miss: Scotchie's Jerk Pork and Wilk's Bay.

Room Tip: If you have a group of 6 or more, definitely book the house. Couples should try for the seperate vi...
1  Thank William S
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Encouraged by my daughter (her third visit) I embarked on my first visit to Jamaica, staying at the Wilks Bay resort. I think I landed on a sweet slice of heaven! Mary and James had carefully thought through the whole experience from their guests' perspective; from pillows, picnic and careful taxi driver for our journey to the resort, to a wealth of activities along with chill out time during our stay. I really hadn't thought anyone could get me to snorkel but with a beautiful bay and beach, clear water, fascinating corals and glorious fish - and the right encouragement (thankyou James) I was away! The 'feel' of the resort deserves a special mention, the whole is tastefully furnished and very comfortable with a staff team who really are attentive without being intrusive, all of which made for a peaceful, unhurried holiday. Finally, I must mention our meals, produced by the housekeepers using locally grown and fished produce, as they were special, delicious occasions! My two week stay slipped by so quickly but left me a wealth of wonderful experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
The Cliff Hotel
The Cliff Hotel
#2 of 81 in Negril
Hermosa Cove - Jamaica's Villa Hotel

Been to The Resort at Wilks Bay? Share your experiences!