What do you need to know about Caribbean Dawn?
- It is a 4-room guest house perched on a hill overlooking a seemingly endless expanse of lush countryside and the Caribbean Sea. Each room has its own balcony, and each balcony gets its own version of CD's >180 degree view of Port Antonio, Boston Bay, Long Bay, and the Caribbean Sea beyond...
- This view is STUNNING. I hike, snowboard, and otherwise travel a decent amount, but this tops every place I've stood or stayed in my entire life. See the pictures and let me assure you it is even better in person. As you sit on your balcony or by the pool, you are either eye-level with or looking down on the hawks gliding across.
- It is hot at sea level, but cool and breezy up on the hill - even if you like A/C on hot days, you won't miss it here.
- The accommodations are simple but clean, bright, and comfortable - felt like "simple luxury" to me. You are "roughing it" only to extent you are enduring the crazy 2 1/2 hour drive from the Kingston airport and tepid showers (apparently hot water is coming soon!). The "cold" water wasn't so bad - shower in the afternoon (after the sun has heated up the water tank) and close all of the windows ahead of time to heat up your room, and you should find it to be pretty tolerable.
- You will contact John, the owner, to reserve your stay and coordinate arrangements before you arrive. I actually just met him this weekend and he is every bit as cool and kind in-person as he is in making arrangements for your stay. I had many concerns and questions before my first visit to Jamaica and he was extremely responsive and detailed in his replies.
- I am a petite white girl in my early 30s and traveled there alone, and I saw barely more than a handful of other tourists the entire time I was there (exactly what I wanted!). Jason, CD's house manager, met me at the airport and served as my personal host, tour guide, chef, and (quickly) friend for the duration of my 4 days there. He is a conscientious, gracious, and professional host who grew up in the area and knows how to take care of his guests. I wanted to see Portland, experience the "real" Jamaica, and get some surfing in, and he made it all happen in a long weekend. Even though Portland is a pretty poor area, I found its people to be kind and respectful, and I felt safe and comfortable the entire time I was there (thanks especially to CD and Jason).
- I am not a "dog person," but I found the dogs to be very cool dogs - they do bark like crazy at any unfamiliar visitors, but they never got in my face and generally minded their own business after our initial introduction.
I'm already planning my next visit.
Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions - I'd be happy to answer them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Amazing view. Private room, bath & balcony. Pool. Personal service. Lots of common space. Ease the mind, body and spirit. Spectacular sunrises. Sublime sunsets. Undeveloped and uncrowded. Surf, Swim, Tour - Eat, Drink, Sleep - View, Vibes, Irie! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Caribbean Dawn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribbean Dawn Jamaica/Port Antonio