“Stunning View, Warm Hospitality, and the "Real" Jamaica” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caribbean Dawn

Caribbean Dawn
New York City, New York
“Stunning View, Warm Hospitality, and the "Real" Jamaica”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

What do you need to know about Caribbean Dawn?

- It is a 4-room guest house perched on a hill overlooking a seemingly endless expanse of lush countryside and the Caribbean Sea. Each room has its own balcony, and each balcony gets its own version of CD's >180 degree view of Port Antonio, Boston Bay, Long Bay, and the Caribbean Sea beyond...

- This view is STUNNING. I hike, snowboard, and otherwise travel a decent amount, but this tops every place I've stood or stayed in my entire life. See the pictures and let me assure you it is even better in person. As you sit on your balcony or by the pool, you are either eye-level with or looking down on the hawks gliding across.

- It is hot at sea level, but cool and breezy up on the hill - even if you like A/C on hot days, you won't miss it here.

- The accommodations are simple but clean, bright, and comfortable - felt like "simple luxury" to me. You are "roughing it" only to extent you are enduring the crazy 2 1/2 hour drive from the Kingston airport and tepid showers (apparently hot water is coming soon!). The "cold" water wasn't so bad - shower in the afternoon (after the sun has heated up the water tank) and close all of the windows ahead of time to heat up your room, and you should find it to be pretty tolerable.

- You will contact John, the owner, to reserve your stay and coordinate arrangements before you arrive. I actually just met him this weekend and he is every bit as cool and kind in-person as he is in making arrangements for your stay. I had many concerns and questions before my first visit to Jamaica and he was extremely responsive and detailed in his replies.

- I am a petite white girl in my early 30s and traveled there alone, and I saw barely more than a handful of other tourists the entire time I was there (exactly what I wanted!). Jason, CD's house manager, met me at the airport and served as my personal host, tour guide, chef, and (quickly) friend for the duration of my 4 days there. He is a conscientious, gracious, and professional host who grew up in the area and knows how to take care of his guests. I wanted to see Portland, experience the "real" Jamaica, and get some surfing in, and he made it all happen in a long weekend. Even though Portland is a pretty poor area, I found its people to be kind and respectful, and I felt safe and comfortable the entire time I was there (thanks especially to CD and Jason).

- I am not a "dog person," but I found the dogs to be very cool dogs - they do bark like crazy at any unfamiliar visitors, but they never got in my face and generally minded their own business after our initial introduction.

I'm already planning my next visit.

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions - I'd be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions carefully - all have the great view, but each is unique and offers slight...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. So glad you had the opportunity to take 2 surfing lessons in good surf. Yes, it is quite interesting to actually have to look DOWN to see birds glide past Caribbean Dawn. We are certainly blessed with a very beautiful location. We are also blessed to have Jason, a caring and hardworking manager/chef/driver. Happy to hear you approve of the personal service he provided. Looking forward to your return. Peace. JC

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kingston, Jamaica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I traveled with a fellow volunteer friend from Kingston to Portland last month for a weekend trip and we stayed at Caribbean Dawn. The view from the house is absolutely breathtaking! While it was a bit too cool to jump into the new infinity pool, it certainly looked inviting. Our room was big, airy and clean. The beds have mosquito nets and there were towels in the bathroom. Not a problem for me but but be prepared for the basics and there is no hot water. It was nice to have a balcony with deck chairs & a hammock, again – awesome view!

One minor consideration for fellow travelers – the house sits on a steep hill so either you need to be fit to walk it or have a car. Jason was nice enough to fetch us from the bottom a few times - thank you!. Kevin, the co-caretaker, was really very friendly too. John, the owner, was responsive to my booking request and was flexible in allowing us to shift our reservation for a week later than we had planned.

If I visit the area again, I will surely have a car and won't hesitate to stay at Caribbean Dawn.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. At Caribbean Dawn, we strive to provide prompt, courteous and professional service at all times. So, your kind words about myself and my staff is confirmation we are on the right track (and greatly appreciated). Hope you have the opportunity to return again soon so that you can take a dip in the new pool. Peace. JC
Bellmore, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Caribbean Dawn each year for the past seven years. We love the view from the balcony in the morning as we have our coffee. Each year there are more improvements in the property. We enjoy the beach at Boston Bay and the people are very friendly. We try new restaurants each year, Anna Bananas was this years favorite. We look forward to our yearly visit. It is the most relaxing vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. Your continued patronage during Caribbean Dawn's evolution is both rewarding and greatly appreciated. I hope you return again next year so that you can experience our latest improvement/addition - the new built in pool! Like everything at Caribbean Dawn, it comes with an amazing view! Peace. JC
Minsk, Belarus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We spend 18 days at this wonderfull place, it was really beautifull vacation!
The view is amazing and you can enjoy it every morning! The place is very calm and neigbours are friendly. You feel really free in this surrounding unspoiled with civilization.
Beaches are beautifull and you can enjoy your day with locals and buy a CD from a reggae singer ))
The area is very nice, there are lot of places to visit such as waterfalls, lagune, bays.
Jason (manager of the guest house) can take you to any place of your interest in the surrounding and help you if you need something.
We really enjoyed our stay and certainly will come there again!

Room Tip: blue room is very nice green room is also nice and there is more light there
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. So glad you enjoyed your stay and Jason's service. We look forward to your return. Peace. JC
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed at Caribbean Dawn while visiting for a friend's wedding in the Port Antonio area. The guesthouse was beautiful and very tranquil. Overlooking Boston Bay, the views from the guesthouse are unbelievable - you won't want to leave. The on site staff were welcoming, helpful and always eager to go that extra mile (when I woke up to a flat tire the next morning, the on site manager offered to take care of everything - thank you again). John was a pleasure to work with in organizing my accommodation for the duration of my trip. The room (I stayed in the blue room) was spacious, clean, well-kept and very breezy at night! The dogs were adorable and friendly. I have nothing but positive things to say about my stay here - absolutely amazing! I would definitely return here to stay the next time I find myself in the Port Antonio area.

Note: the road up to the guesthouse was rather steep/rocky, but I made it up with no problems in a little Toyota Yaris. Don't be intimated. The turnoff, however, is very difficult to locate. I drove past it in both directions at least 6 times, without knowing. I found it after asking the locals, who were very helpful and eager to help.

Room Tip: I recommend the blue room!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thanks for a great review. Your review is an excellent summary of the Caribbean Dawn experience - clean/comfortable/affordable accommodations with an amazing view and prompt/courteous personal service. Not to mention the adorable and friendly dogs! Glad we contributed to your pleasant stay while attending the wedding. Hope you come back and visit us again so you can also enjoy the pool which is now fully operational. Peace. JC
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

My Husband and I stayed for two weeks in early March. Jason the manager picked us up at the airport he was very welcoming. We opted for the car and were driven wherever we wanted. We had the kitchenette and loved it. It is close to 3 great beaches all stunning. The town is friendly and peaceful.We felt very safe.The bed was good and the room was spotless.Porty is a nice town no tourist harassment anywhere.Lots of food available and nightlife if you want.I enjoyed the hammock very much and the Muskoka chairs are comfortable. We made a friend Shane who lives down the hill.I had fresh flowers in my room.Blackie was a nice dog and she became our friend.The wifi is strong.Portland is beautiful and lush.We are retired and would like to stay longer it really could be a home away from home.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice all have a great view the kitchenette is handy but all have a big fridge.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Thanks for the great review. I am glad you ventured over to Portland and enjoyed your stay at Caribbean Dawn. Thanks for the candle holders, books and decorations. They will be utilized and are greatly appreciated. We are constantly making improvements to our facilities and service. We just added another shelf in the kitchenette of the bunk room. We also added low, heavy-duty shelf at the foot of the bunk bed for luggage and a top shelf and closet rod for hanging clothes and other storage. The built in pool is a bit behind schedule but is still progressing nicely and should be operational sometime in April. Solar powered lights now illuminate both staircases to the car park. Hope you visit us again soon. Peace. JC
PCB, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We only stayed at Caribbean Dawn for one night on our way to another location but were very impressed. The rooms are large, nicely equipped (fridge, coffee maker) and the views from the balcony are amazing. The turnoff from the highway is easy to miss (just West of Boston Bay) and the road is steep but our rental car handled it fine. We walked down to Boston Bay and the Jerk Center and worked off our food and Red Stripes on the hike back up the hill. There's also a small market at the base of the hill. JC was easy to work with via email for reservations and Jason took care of us once we arrived. He knows the area very well and can handle whatever you need locally or guide you to area sites. It was interesting to see them building the pool right on the cliff beside the property and it should be great when complete in a few months. We would definitely stay at Caribbean Dawn again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views. Pics of each on website.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
surferjpc, Owner at Caribbean Dawn, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thanks for posting a review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed the facilities, the view, the service and the surrounding area. I hope you have the opportunity to visit again sometime in the near future so that you can enjoy a more leisurely stay at Caribbean Dawn. Peace. JC