We visited Rio Vista Village for 5 nights in April 2006. After reading all the good reports on this side – I must admit we were a bit disappointed.
You need to bear in mind that this is Jamaica standard – it is simple and not at all luxurious. The villas are clean but a bit worn out, the kitchen equipment are very old, and not suitable for cooking. The water boiler was ok, but part from that – just don’t plan to cook! The food at the restaurant was good, but quite expensive (Breakfast from 9-12 dollars).
The pool is too small for adults and too deep for kids. The property is situated away from everything – which means you need to drive or have the owner Henry to drive you. He is more than willing to do so – but of course you have to pay for it – more than the cost of a taxi. We would have liked to have the possibility of walking to another restaurant in the evening – the menu is limited so five days are more than enough …. The food is served on the Terrasse, which has a beautiful view over the blue mountain and the Rio Grande River – but unfortunately, a sand mill is located just beneath at the river side, and they kept working from early morning to late night (long after we went to bed!) – The peace and quiet was disturbed all the time – it was quite earsplitting.
Would we stay there again? No – it is too expensive, too worn out, too far away from everything. But if that is what you like – the area is beautiful (Photo showing the view from our window) – and the owners are friendly and nice – all though they charged us extra for some of the food and wine. Unnecessary and unwise, better to increase your prices and stay honest!
The city Port Antonio doesn’t have much to offer –but make sure you don’t miss Frenchmans Cove – a wonderful beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the stunning blue waters of St. Margaret's Bay and the mouth of the Rio Grande river, sits the Rio Vista Resort. The hotel is nestled atop a lushly vegetated hill, with breathtaking views of the Blue Mountains, its peaks hovering at over 7,000 feet. The Blue Mountains is home to one of the world's best coffees. The Rio Vista offers a range of beautifully appointed guest rooms and villas. Choose from river/mountain, garden, pool, or sea views. Free continental breakfast included. The gazebo deck is the perfect place to start and end the day with an ice cold Red Stripe beer or a refreshing glass of coconut water. Sit back and take in a picturesque Jamaican sunset, while watching rafter floating by on the meandering Rio Grande river. A variety of Activities are available in close proximity to the hotel. Explore the variety of exciting packages and promotions being offered in the area to enhance your vacation experience. Boat rides on the World famous Blue Lagoon, tours of a Blue Mountain Coffee plantation, rafting on the Rio Grande, water fall climbs at Somerset Falls, nature walks, beautiful beaches and much much more. Rio Vista is a ten acre estate with individual rooms and 1, 2 and 3 bedroom villas. The property is located four miles west of Port Antonio, on Jamaica's north coast, nestled between the Rio Grande River and the Caribbean Sea. We are approx 1 1/2 hours from Kingston (Norman Manley Int'l Airport) through the mountains and 3 hours from Montego Bay (Sangster Int'l Airport) along the north coast highway. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Rio Vista Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rio Vista Resort Villas Hotel Port Antonio
- Rio Vista Resort Jamaica/Port Antonio