Frenchman's Cove Resort
Tropical Lagoon Resort(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$166
US$159
US$292
US$244
Moon San Villa(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$166
Jamaica Palace Hotel(Port Antonio)
US$189
Priceline
US$199
US$179
Hotwire.com
The Trident Hotel(Port Antonio)
US$759
US$736
Geejam(Port Antonio)
US$626
US$607
Hotel Jamaican Colors(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
All reviewsfrenchman's coveblue lagoonboston baycelebritiesjamaican
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Went here for our 2nd anniversary and it was perfect!

First of all, I was expecting a bad experience, based on other reviews. I was pleasantly surprised, as the staff was very helpful, pleasant and courteous. My husband I were probably the only local guests there at the time and we were treated just the same as the foreign guests.

Property and Beach
The property is beautiful, lush, and perfect for creating the feel of total seclusion. All of the villas are neatly tucked away, rarely in the view of another. They're spread over a lot of space so it would be good to have a vehicle if you're opposed to walking. The beach is not huge, but it's a nicely sized cove that has a fresh water stream running into it. The waves get choppy at times but a lifeguard is on duty. Guests have access to beach chairs. The beach wasn't crowded while I was there, but I guess that depends on the time of year and whether or not tours or visitors are stopping by.

Villas/Rooms
We stayed in Villa 3, a one bedroom villa near to the beach. The design and architecture is old-school hollywood, and the overall concept is genius. The truth is, the place could use some refurbishing to be restored to it's former glory. When that happens, it'll be an absolute 5 star accommodation. The wifi may get to your villa, but either way, it's a getaway. So with no TV or wifi, I'm sure you could find something else to do. *wink wink*

Bottom Line
I would definitely recommend this place to couples looking for a real idyllic, secluded getaway. it could also be fun for groups and retreats.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shari K
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

wow. so honestly .. I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed. we decided to surprise my brother for his birthday and booked EIGHT rooms here. we had to wait three hours after check to get into any of our rooms while we sat and endured staff complaining to me and my friends that their shift was over and they should be home.
whatever.
the rooms ... rustic. I liked it. many didn't.
protip: don't expect a filling breakfast

my main gripe is that we decided to "check out" much earlier than planned. went for breakfast where we actually got food... and came back to the resort to go to the beach ... the staff was uncompromising and wanted to charge us to come back in.
it's disappointing because my friends come to the hotel at least 4 times a year with a very international following.
I'm disappointed because the security guards recognized my friends as well paying regulars ... and decided to capitalize on this.
I'm disappointed because I saw 'other' guests who stayed and checked out at the same time us... wave and got let back into the resort. funny thing .. those guests are my employees ... but I guess I don't "look" like the boss ;)

I'm disappointed because as much as I'd like to recommend this hotel. I fear for the exploitation of travelers.

not cool.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Kiwami L
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Well this resort seems to be just out an hollywood blockbluster. Villas on the cliff and blue serene calm sea view from the bedroom . We stayed up at Villa 5 and 1 and both were well equipped and clean .The staff was courteous and food was reasonable and good .The location is both accessible and very convenient .

Room Tip: The villas are a great choice . I would recommend villa 5,13 and 1
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vinay4uv
Reviewed 30 July 2013

If you are looking for a fancy new resort with umbrellas in your cocktails then this is not the place for you.

Frenchmans Cove is perhaps the most beautiful beach in Jamaica, it is perfect for swimming, relaxing, family holidays, lovely walks. I love that it isn't all new and shiny - it just ideal for a delicious and relaxing holiday.

One can self cater in these beautifully designed and very well built big villas that are spaced far apart and have astounding views of dense tropical vegetation and the calm sea, from atop a cliff. The beach is quiet and virtually private and is only a few minutes walk from each one. There is fast wifi in across the property.

It would be a great place to hire the whole property for a wedding or birthday etc.

I didn't see a hotel room but I'm sure they are adequate. Breakfast wasn't lavish but was delicious. The staff were unobtrusive but went out of their way to help. It is recommended to have a car to go to the shops and buy supplies etc. It is just a 2 hour drive or something from Colombo.

I wish I were on this beach right now. A short stay wasn't enough - next time I'm going for a week to really relax.

Room Tip: Villa 2 was great. Big and spacious. I bet the ones on the cliff above the beach might be even better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicholas S
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We were in Villa 2 (3br) for 4 nights. That villa has seen better days - there has been no attempt to renovate - Sliding doors didn't work, a/c remote missing, kitchenette was dark and dingy, refrigerator hummed but didn't cool. WiFi only on the beach and great house. It was hot in living room day/night - not sure if it was because it was July.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family