“A great place”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 January 2008

The Good - We stayed in the Bamboo Treehouse with comfrtable king bed, excellent mosquito net, huge windows on two sides with great views and ventilation. The property is clean and well-maintained. Free wireless internet in the communal area that's reasonably fast. Good pizza. Nice, secluded beach. Jerk centre a block away.

The Bad - Rock, gravel floor in the lower level requiring shoes at all times. Not enough hot water to fill the two-person, whirlpool tub all at once.

• Stayed: January 2008
There are newer reviews for Great Huts

Reviewed 22 December 2007

We arrived vary late, but we were greeted by the security guard, and he was very informed of who we were, and was able to get us straight into our room. When I awoke in the morning, the sun was peeking through the flaps of the Tabernacle tent. I was out of bed at 6am, and grabbed my camera to check out my surroundings. I only had images in my head of the photos on their website, and you know that places always look different than what you were expecting. I was very awestruck at how beautiful and quiet Boston Bay was. I was up early enough to catch 3 small fishing boats as they headed out into the sunrise for their catch. That is the cool thing about this side of the island; if you are used to amazing sunsets in Negril, get ready for the flipside-amazing sunrizes from Boston Bay.
The tents are Great Huts are very cool. I stayed in two different tents. I prefered the Cherry Goat over the Tabernacle as the Tabernacle had a sand floor. It was tricky at night to maneuver without a flashlight in the Tabernacle, as there is coral jutting up from the floor in various spots, but the Tabernacle would be perfect for the budget traveler. The tabernacle has its own shower, and it also has 2 very large King-sized beds, with a platform for resting your luggage or backpacks.
The Cherry Goat sleeps 3 comfortably with a queen and a single bed. The floor is concrete, and I should mention that all of the accommodations do have fans and lights. The Cherry Goat is situated close to the restrooms and showers, which is very convenient . Simple and rustic, with natural charm is exactly what you need for travel to Jamaica. Great Huts is very clean, and the best part is showering outdoors by candlelight, and brushing your teeth with the peepers (tree frogs) at night! There is pretty cool snorkeling from Great Huts. It is much deeper at the base of these cliffs than those in Negril, but there is still plenty to see. Lots of sea urchins when you enter, so be careful and watch your step. The hammocks at the beach area are a lovely place to spend your afternoon sipping a RedStripe! The breakfast begins around 8am when guests start wandering down to the Great Room for breakfast. The architecture is wonderful, and it is decorated with comfortable sitting spots on curved walls, amongst African wood carvings and bamboo features. In the center of the room is a computer station with a couple of computers for guests to check their email. The center island gives you a front row seat to the ladies Cynthia and Margaret preparing your breakfast. Hot tea and coffee are available around 8am with breakfast served betwee 8:30 and 10:00. Dinners at Great Huts can be available with advanced notice for their visiting chef, Skanka. Skanka has a talent for creating wonderful blends of native foods and spices, and it is obvious that he enjoys being creative in the kitchen. He also has good taste in reggae, as he and my Jamaican travel companion shared CDs. For convenience, the Boston Bay jerk chicken pits are located immediately outside of the property. They cook long into the night for those late night cravings, and they are some of the best on the entire island. My Jamaican friend said it best, "these people must really love working here and they also must love the person that they work for, because it is evident in everything they do, as they do it with a smile!"

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
5  Thank greengirltravel
Reviewed 18 December 2007

We had a wonderful stay at Great Huts, Boston Beach, Jamaica. The hosts, wife Nikki and Paul welcomed us in their little piece of paradise on a fossilized coral cliff on the ocean. We were travelling with our two kids aged 11 and 8. There were puppies, parrots, frogs, lizards, and other birds and wildlife to enjoy. The breakfasts were delicious and abundant, the coffee much better than Starbucks. We walked to Winnifred beach, took the cabs to the nearby villages, Port Antonio, Long Beach, etc... Although the vendors accost you to sell their wares, they undersdand if you decline firmly (they will be disappointed). The food, specially the festival and lobster are delicious. There is a small supermarket within walking distance, and a larger one 10 minutes cab ride away. You can cook on the old gas stove,use the fridge and cupborads,or get your meals cooked for you by the staff. There is hot water and baths in some of the accomodations. There is a surf school and rental place on the bay right beside the resort. You feel safe there, the locals respect Paul and his wife and they will invite you to party at their house freely. Boston beach is a party town, so don't expect quiet every night.
Hook up with Carolyn Barrett, the most amazing woman, guide and transportation. You will see a side of Jamaica few all inclusive guests will ever experience.

Stayed: December 2006
4  Thank Manouane D
Reviewed 20 November 2007

Great Huts surpassed all my expectations. It is not your typical Caribbean resort with opulent NOrth American excess but a more natural, rustic atmoshere with beautiful African art. It is secluded resort 70 miles or 3 hour drive over very terrible roads from Kingston, Jamaica. However, we were met at the airport and chaffeur driven through the night to the Great Huts Resort.This was the beginning of our adventure.
We were astonished at daybreak as the setting was magnificent located along cliffs overlooking the crashing surf on the North coast of Jamaica.
Great Huts consists of several individual huts with varying prices and amenities. Ours cost only $35 dollars per night with a private outdoor shower among the trees, mosquito net canopy, use of clean shared tiolet, no TV but the other more expensive ones had the option of hot tub and private bath.
The food was excellent with a breakfast included of fresh local fruit of papaya, pineapple and watermelon, toast and eggs prepared as requested. The evening dinner consisted of a delicious gourmet meal made to order that morning from small but varied menu by an international chef.
There were several possible activities including learning how to surf with local instructors, snorkeling with the resort equipment, hiking to a nearby waterfalls and more. It was a very relaxed atmosphere. The service was excellent with very helpful staff willing to accomodate your requests.
This place is aptly called Paradise on the Edge as it geared for slightly adventorous not for tourists who want all the comforts of home and more transplanted into this tropical paradise.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank heather_mcnally
Reviewed 13 October 2007

The hut.
The Sea Grape Hut sits on a huge cliff directly over the flawless turquois blue waters. Amazing view. The hut itself is spacious, and bigger than it appears on [--]. It is also well equipped for nature lovers. One problem, the stones in the the room. Be perpared to wear shoes or slippers 24/7 as the rocks and stones are very large and sharp in the hut. I did bring this problem up to the owner who vowed to correct it.

The ocean.
To beautiful to put into words. I actually went skinny dipping twice as there was no one on the beach. The water is very warm and soothing.

the staff.
Everyone is friendly. I forgot my camera on the beach twice and Nigel, the groundsman, was nice enough to return it to me. Margaret the cook took the time to take me into town where I did some shopping. The owner's wife invited me out for a night on the town. Shaka the cook has a smile to die for, though I didn't get an opportunity to try his food. Shaka is also a photographer, make sure you acquire his services should you need pictures taken or developed professionally.

The area.
Very quite and isolated. Exactly what I was looking for. The only noise came from barking as there are three big dogs running loose on the premises. This made me feel uncomfortable, but again the owner promised to address this issue.

Reminder.
Ensure you have moquito repellent, and pair of slipper and/or cash or credit card. The restaurant does not take DEBIT cards.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
9  Thank shera441
Reviewed 13 September 2007

Great Huts should be called perfect huts.

It's unfussy, fascinating and gorgeous. I was drawn to this b&b because it offered not just access to hikes in the countryside, not just a chance to lazy around in a hammock, not just a close-up of the most impossibly blue water and a pretty little beach or tide pool to frolic in, and not just progressive politics and a chance to learn about the historical Jamaica but all of that. And it actually delivered. Everyday I was discovering a new delight: seeing the sculptures and other contemporary art works in such a verdant, rustic setting made them even more compelling; I liked the cool feel of the stone tables and benches; I liked the organic (but organized) look of the dining area. It looks like it was carved out of the cliffs. Although the architecture is African-inspired, if you've been to Gaudi park in Barcelona, you'll notice similar uses of stone and curves, which is probably itself looking south to Africa too for inspiration. The sculptures, paintings, and furnishings are terrific. I really like the way Boston Bay looks and that I don't have my views interrupted by other hotels or tons of other people -- I think even if you live in Jamaica or have travelled all over, Portland and this area in particular is very, very special. I remember I knew I was relaxed and happy when I was lingering and gazing at everything and nothing. Nobody was hassling me or hovering, thank God, finally I was out of that role were employees at the hotel act like they are your servants and invade your space. And if you've been to Jamaica before, you've no doubt experienced the constant effort to sell you something anything or just get into your business. Ugh. At Great Huts, the staff was warm, attentive and repectful in their work. I could be independent but comfortable and felt all was taken care of. It's a warm, friendly atmosphere. I remember noticing the scene over at the cliffs opposite Great Huts: there were some guys standing on the edge, made tiny like twigs by the distance, maybe fishing or looking I guess and then there was a soccer game in what I think is a community park on the greenest grass ever and, lower down on the beach, families and folks hanging out enjoying the sun and water. To me that's chillin. Just looking and being. I was a stranger there but I felt connected as we're all there enjoying the bay in different ways. Also, I got to see a hut getting designed and painted and had a chat with the chef as he prepared to work. It was just a nice experience and I felt at ease. Many of the people around Great Huts were interesting--the builder and the chef, particularly seemed to be themselves travelers and artists, contributing what they do to the Great Huts vibe. So to me, Great Huts had some intersecting landscape and cultural qualities that made it perfect for me.

I arrived after a very long trip from Kingston over winding, bumpy roads on a crowded public bus after waiting for this bus to load for 4 hours--now that's something all of us should complain to the new govt about. (great views though and really I would do the same trip again no lie; just maybe get to the bus park a lot later in the day) Anyhow, after I got there, miserable and hot, I was relaxed by the shady coolness and the neutral soothing tones at Great Huts. I decided to enjoy what this place had to offer. If you're lucky maybe you'll be there during a cultural event like the Marcus Garvey conference that was happening in August. You know, Jamaica is not a sweet, simple place unless you enjoy being in the impoverished ares in the cities and towns you're travelling from and subjecting yourself to associated problems BUT Jamaica is one of the most important and beautiful places in the world to visit-- its culture and landscape are so vibrant--Africa meets Europe and the Americas--it can get ahold of you in a wonderful way and show you what life is really worth--Great Huts is an enchanting corner of Jamaica that distills its best qualities.

Now that's not to say I think Jamaica or Great Huts is a fantasy escape from reality where you can run barefoot and frolic without a care in the world. You need good shoes and insect repellant. The water can be calm or turbulent. It is a rustic, rural and tropical location and the huts are sheltering but open to nature. That is an experience in itself. Such a cool place. You will have a rural encounter with the land --certainly the design of the huts gives you a sense of history and culture. Some people think this sounds great but when it comes down to it, they just want sun and would prefer concrete walls and air-conditioning when not in the beach--well, there's Miami for that. Portland is not Rio or Miami or LA, which have fabulous urban, sprawling beach scenes. In Great Huts, you will have a low key atmosphere with lizards and crabs shifting about, fishes in the tide pool, parrots--and other creatures which, with the ocean hitting the low notes, will sing you to sleep every night. Yes, paradise has mosquitoes but I decided to get over myself and wear repellent, so it was all good. And I don't remember it being hot at all. It's really shady and lush until you walk down to the beach where there are sunny places and shady places--I love the stone chairs poured into the rocks!!

There were a couple things I didn't like, still: I'd love to have some traditional Jamaican dishes for dinner sometimes and maybe a more generous breakfast with more, more fruit. I wish the town would put an early end to the Tuesday night dancehall--bring earphones with some white noise. Or, maybe go to the party and ask the dj to play hipper music and let's everybody party. But that was one night. Every other night-- ocean lulls and singing crickets!!

The place is alive and unique. Go for a few days, be open to it and you will leave feeling more alive and energized too as I did. It's so great to stay on the cliffs by the sea and be able to stay in these huts that have modern comforts but that are very, very different than wherever you're coming from unless you already live in a tripped out hut on verdant cliffs overlooking the sea. I felt like I was staying in artwork. I like rustic boutique places but Great Huts is a little more relaxing because it's more raw and natural without the chic part, which can bring a little pressure. It was the perfect escape from annoying aspects of mainstream tourism and the general hassles of life anyplace. Can't wait to go back! I miss the sounds of the ocean, that amazing blue color in the sea and the time to watch it change colors as the sun goes down. Thank you Great Huts!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank garveyitetraveler
Reviewed 13 September 2007

What an unbelievable experience! We really enjoyed it. We really had no idea of what to expect. The pictures didn't totally click with me. The first day we were edgy, but we really felt very relaxed and comfortable and happy and were sad to leave. As we were driving from the Kingston airport, around the eastern coast, to the northern coast, we saw such beautiful views of the Caribbean Sea, but when I woke up in the morning, after listening to the sea at night, and saw those beautiful views right from my bed, unobstructed, it had a different feel. Great Huts is on the side of Boston Bay Beach, per my Frommers Guide, one of the top beaches, and it is so pretty to see that beach too upon awakening in the morning. The kids in the local area go surfing there and the beach is clean as well. From Great Huts, we had no trouble walking by the famous Jerk Center and standing on the corner for a local taxi. We went to the amazing Reach Falls, also, per Frommers, much better than Dunn's River, and no crowds there. We also went to another beautiful white sand, clean, clear beach, Winnifred Beach, but I am sure only a local taxi driver would know where this is. We took a bamboo raft ride on the Rio Grande River, also clean, relaxing, and ideal for a swim. We also visited a small Maroon village and learned about a part of history missing in our education about slavery. The staff at Great Huts is accessible and warm. You will love it!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
Zion Country Beach Cabins
Zion Country Beach Cabins
#2 of 29 in Port Antonio
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!