“Amazing place, rustic natural & beautiful”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great huts is simply magical....I was on a Portland crawl and showed up to this property really late at night and was greeted by the friendliest and most helpful staff. It was a Saturday night and little did I know we were in for a treat! The drumming and dance show was incredible! The food is delicious.. The chef was really flexible when with my vegetarian needs. This property has superseded my expectations of a "green" facility. You get to experience the rawness of the place with all the amenities that make life comfortable...once I took the tour of some of the other rooms, the decision was made. I'm definitely going back....You should go - then you'll know!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view for sure...well worth it!
Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cassanie

Reviewed 26 July 2012

I spent two nights of serene, soul-restoring pleasure at Great Huts. A wonderful morning swim in the bay. Terrific food. A weekend that included a show of traditional Jamaican dances, exhibition of Jamaican artists and presentations of African influences in Jamaican art as part of a special Arts Odyssey event at Great Huts. A few quiet moments in the Sylvester Stephens sculpture garden.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank WayneMiami
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We were a group of 12 and everyone totally loved it! They all told their friends about it after we returned to Kingston for work, and I for one was happy they all had a good time since they came on my recommendation. Some even mentioned they would not mind returning there next year and they don't mind not going anywhere else to site see but stay in and just enjoy the serenity and facilities.

Some stayed in the Queen of Sheba, Tabernacle and the Fig Tree Hut. Each type of accommodation has its own uniqueness to it and I especially loved the Fig Tree Hut for its amazing view of the ocean and just listening to the crash of the waves upon the shore. Truly a slice of Paradise! My friends enjoyed the sand pools down at the beach and some really enjoyed the beach at the nearby Boston Beach.

The staff there are very accommodating to our every needs and I must say thank you to Juliet, Mr. Gilpin (I hoped it is spelt correctly). It was also a pleasure to finally meet Dr. Rhodes and his family. Saturday night entertainment was a blast, we totally enjoyed it while having dinner. Two of my friends even participated in the entertainment. Marcia also made sure our dinners were made to perfection and my friends do agree that she makes the best pizzas.

This was my second stay there and I totally loved it again. I will continue to recommend it to whoever is interested. If you love nature, you will definitely love here. My only disappointment was not being able to bathe in the sea water pool as the pump was down again but that did not hamper our enjoyment of Great Huts.

To Dr. Rhodes and his dedicated Staff, jus continue doing the great job you are doing in making all your guests happy. We were truly contented with our stay and thank you for all that was done for us.

Room Tip: Queen of Sheba is nice for a large group. It can accommodate up to eight persons (if sharing a bed...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Naturelover34
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Anytime I want to get away from the hustle and bustle of life in Kingston to relax, I head to Portland. After the rave reviews I received from a friend about Great Huts, I decided to give it a try and I was not disappointed.

To date this has been the most unique and memorable accommodations while Jamaica. I enjoyed the rustic feel of the property and the friendliness of the staff. Great Huts was successful in creating an experience that I feel blends well with the natural surroundings, celebrates cultural identity of the people of Jamaica and isn't corny or gimmicky.

I stayed in the African Sunrise, the 3 level hut on the cliff side overlooking the pool. The view of Boston Bay and the Caribbean Sea was breathtaking and the best way to wake up in the morning. The top floor of the hut where the bed and bathroom were located were small quarters, but worked well for the two of us. The level below had a nice sized swing to sit and enjoy the view and the nice breeze.There was also a refrigerator to store our beverages and snacks. Climbing up and down the ladder to get to the room wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, but I don't think I could have done it for a week.

All meals were made fresh and cooked to order. Wi-fi was available around most parts of the property as well.

Overall the experience exceeded my expectations and I'm excited to be returning in the near future.

Room Tip: I was 99% sure I wanted to stay in the African Sunrise and I'm very pleased with my choice. Note...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AbsoluteADT
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Firstly, we had no plans to even visit Port Antonio, but when flights to MoBay were way out of our range, we started looking to sports outside of MoBay and Negril - blessing in disguise. The locals say the parish of Portland is the most beautiful on the island and they're not wrong! And Great Huts may just be the ideal getaway in Portland.

The huts themselves are amazing (we stayed in the "budget" option and it was more than comfortable. In fact the draw back is that the budget options have a shared bathroom, but the shared shower is an outdoor gem! I really think i miss that the most!). The property has a great cliff top pool with amazing views and a private beach (this was a rock beach, though you are a 5 minute taxi from some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on).

The free breakfast far exceeded expectations and the dinners and cocktails were great too!

Very, very few drawbacks to this place. If you're looking for the all inclusive vibe then Port Antonio in general may not be for you, but if you want a touch of luxury in an excellently run guest house - Great Huts is for you!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Great Huts, Jamaica. The resort is set in a beautiful enviroment and well maintained, certainly back to nature! It is possibly the best hotel we ever stayed at with astonishing views all over. Staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NataschadeLange
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I don't typically write reviews but just had to share how amazing this place is. By looking at the website, I knew this place would be cool but had no idea how over the top beautiful it was going to be. We stayed in Sea Grape, based on other's reviews, and were blown away. The views are breathtaking. It was also so private - so a great place to get away from it all. We didn't see anyone else at the pool the whole time we were there and basically had the beautiful beach to ourseleves (except for a few friendly locals hanging around). The property is very rustic (which adds to the charm of it all), and I wouldn't reccomend bringing kids here (high cliffs, no railings). If you're into luxury camping, amazing views, beautiful beaches, good food & friendly service - this is the place for you. I have traveled a lot in my life (and have been to Jamaica 3 times before) and this is by far the most amazing place I have ever vacationed. We headed to a high-end resort after our stay at the Great Huts and I 100% preferred Great Huts over the fancy resort. I will certainly be back again!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with Sea Grape. I also has a tour of Fig Tree which I loved. Both are so gr...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
#23 of 63 in Montego Bay
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
#5 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!