Don't get me wrong......
The place and staff are / is wonderful. If you love Mother Nature and her little creatures, YOU need to experience Great Huts.
Okay so lets start ....
Staff and food = Amazing, breakfast greasy a little but who cares I'm on vacation. The rest OMG the pizza, you need to try it. So good that I have requested for home delivery. Not sure if they have salt/pepper or ketchup. They didn't offer, we didn't request it. Being used to all inclusive, I found it hard to have their attention. I needed to interrupt them and request for a / more beers. Maybe its because they are not use to us Québecquers (yes we love our beer). So it was hard to tip them "properly".
Oh and they offer a cell phone for FREE when we went rafting....WOW.
Our room, sea grape = AMAZING. Love the clift, the bath outside and shower in the jungle with creepy crawlers everywhere, didn't want to leave. We had a fridge, yes they have safe and the cleaning lady do her best to keep it lovely. We had no bugs, just geckoes and crab, climbing up and down. Water HOT and drinkable. Downside of the room, its not has colourful (floor). The bushes are high so you can't really see the ocean sitting down. Our long chair outside was a bit damage and not comfortable (use the cushion from the chair in the hut) hey with a beer NO PROBLEM. If you have long hair bring your conditioner, the room doesn't have a hair blower or iron. You can request them. They have very thick and quality beach towels so thick they take forever to dry.
Beach = QUIET. Small but so peaceful, we were there for 4 days/nights, the local from Boston beach came to see us for surfing 3 times (not bad at all) they are friendly and NOT pushy at all. And yes you do smell "pot" some staff smoke's right there at the beach in the little "cave". Didn't care really. Downside, we needed to go get our drink at the reception. Nobody came down to ask us if we needed something. I get it..its NOT all-inclusive but.......
Okay so remember this; I was there on low season, I think the max we were was 8 at one point Maybe that is why we didn't have much service for drinks. Ride from kingston is almost 2 hours 130 $ usd one way for 2 . Would I rent a car? NO, NOT without a GPS. Would I rented a Taxi for cheaper NO because at one point you need to change company at a Texaco (?) gas station because they don't go further and from there the pack you with others. When its your first time you don't know this but If I go again I will use the Taxi. Our chauffer was Jiggles and was kind enough to stop for beers. Jerk shacks AWESOME, DELICIOUS and most important SAFE.... go.... you will love the locals, I had a blast.
Okay now the negative. I have to say the DARN ( being polite here) discotheque across the bay. Its open until 4am and trust me you can hear the music in your HUT like it was youre radio playing. The dogs, I love dogs, I have 4 of them. Each time a car turn around in front of the Huts at night the dogs barks and it woke us up. For us being early birds breakfast at 8am is late, but that's US. Oh and people can "drop in" to see your hut. I do understand its so nice, we did the same just remember someone can see you naked without really knowing you are there.
Would I go again? GOD YES, with kids? My teen would have go nuts with no T.V in the room. My 8 yrs would have LOVE IT.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld and Evoline ltd so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio