It was our first time to the Parish of Portland and the city of Port Antonio. Visiting Jamaica several times before we decided to see a different part of the island and experience great huts. A true "jem" off the beaten path. Not your traditional hotel or resort, which was just what we were looking for. Defiantly a unique experience. We spent four amazing days in the Bamboo Tree House with incredible views of Boston Bay while being encompassed by the lush jungle surroundings. Steps away from a none crowded beach the bath water lagoon and white sanded beach was a relaxing retreat. Almost every night a heavy rain storm would roll through the area bringing tranquil sounds and life to the jungle. Living in the desert of southern California it was a real treat and much welcomed. The bathroom was open to the elements with a tub that looked out over the bay, it was wonderful. The bedroom equipped with mosquito net and bug coils was very comfortable. The breeze and the coils pretty much kept the bugs away. Breakfast everyday was simple and excellent along with the staff, not to mention the coffee! Friendly dogs roamed the property and were very well behaved along with the ever so talkative cockatoo "Lily". Over all while on the property we felt safe, secure and welcome. The town of Port Antonio has become my new favorite spot to visit while in Jamaica. The people are friendly and hassle free unlike a lot of the tourist towns that cruise ships frequent. Shopping was great, along with several restaurants off the beaten path. A trip to the new Eroll Fylnn marina was a nice relaxing place to walk around. Great huts and Port Antonio we will defiantly see you again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio