“Wonderful time, Wonderful People”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 November 2013

It was our first time to the Parish of Portland and the city of Port Antonio. Visiting Jamaica several times before we decided to see a different part of the island and experience great huts. A true "jem" off the beaten path. Not your traditional hotel or resort, which was just what we were looking for. Defiantly a unique experience. We spent four amazing days in the Bamboo Tree House with incredible views of Boston Bay while being encompassed by the lush jungle surroundings. Steps away from a none crowded beach the bath water lagoon and white sanded beach was a relaxing retreat. Almost every night a heavy rain storm would roll through the area bringing tranquil sounds and life to the jungle. Living in the desert of southern California it was a real treat and much welcomed. The bathroom was open to the elements with a tub that looked out over the bay, it was wonderful. The bedroom equipped with mosquito net and bug coils was very comfortable. The breeze and the coils pretty much kept the bugs away. Breakfast everyday was simple and excellent along with the staff, not to mention the coffee! Friendly dogs roamed the property and were very well behaved along with the ever so talkative cockatoo "Lily". Over all while on the property we felt safe, secure and welcome. The town of Port Antonio has become my new favorite spot to visit while in Jamaica. The people are friendly and hassle free unlike a lot of the tourist towns that cruise ships frequent. Shopping was great, along with several restaurants off the beaten path. A trip to the new Eroll Fylnn marina was a nice relaxing place to walk around. Great huts and Port Antonio we will defiantly see you again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2013

After more than 30 years of doing field research in Jamaica and sampling the cultural offerings in virtually every parish in the island, I’m not easily surprised by new “discoveries.” This includes places to stay. But I have to say Great Huts made an immediate impression on me and my wife Amy when we stayed there recently. The décor and design immediately drew us in. For my part—as an anthropologist who has always searched the island for its distinctive cocoons of cultural creativity—Great Huts introduced me to a unique mix of cultural and artistic expressions. The interweaving of Jamaican, African and Judaic art (its own distinctive form of creativity), the wildlife menagerie, the indigenous architecture, the music (mostly at dinner) were all great. As someone familiar with Jamaican art I couldn’t help but notice works by recognized artists—Everald Brown and Nakazzi Hutchinson, for sure—that were hung throughout the reception and dining spaces. While I appreciated the quality of the art because of my familiarity with the culture, I assumed that most visitors might miss its significance and wondered whether labels or some other kind of narrative might assist here. I guess this was the Smithsonian ‘museum person’ coming out in me.

I appreciated the fact that most of the music played in the common area was local—but not just reggae. It was local as in mento, kumina, ska and reggae. But I did have to smile one evening at dinner when—as a kumina chant was playing—I asked our server if she knew what type of music was playing. She only knew it was “African,” but was unaware that it was part of the local ‘African’ culture from that very part of the island. What I did appreciate was that fact that she produced a copy of the CD the next morning after I had expressed interest in the mix that was being played! We’re only sorry we missed the cultural presentations that take place on the weekend because I was looking forward to seeing a kumina group or whatever might have been on tap.

All of this was great, but the most important thing is how Great Huts made us feel. After the first day I remember telling Amy that “this has the feel of a healing place.” Much in the way that a balm yard or Jamaican healer’s yard might at once be part of the ambient community yet is also cordoned off, Great Huts had this same feel. It’s a space clearly set apart and one alive with art, culture, design, and environmental architecture that connected us to the organic rhythms and of one of Jamaica’s most beautiful pocket beaches. From where we stayed in the Bamboo Tree House, it was as if we were invisibly absorbed into our own ecosystem while having a panoramic view of the surrounding beach, cliffs, mountains and sea around us. Sun rise and moon rise were part of the experience from lookout points along the cliffs.

Amy particularly enjoyed the cliffs, lounge area and yoga deck with its incredible views and sense of serenity. One walkway along the cliffs was particularly stunning with sea grapes and native flowers, leading to an open gateway that only ended with one’s imagination. The full moon that night was one of the most enchanting we had ever seen. We also enjoyed the secluded private beach and less developed tourism of the northeast.

Great Huts won’t be for the “all-inclusive” crowd that stays in Montego Bay and Negril, but it deserves to be much better known. If anything, it’s a secret that is too well kept. In recent years I’d been to Boston Bay twice—swimming on the beach and patronizing the vendors and jerk stalls just down the lane from the road that leads to your gate; but on neither occasion was I aware that Great Huts even existed. I guess this is part of the charm of it. Certainly you’re well enough known within the community. Amy and I found the place by asking at the small Rasta craft shop some distance down on the main road.

Best wishes from us on continued success with Great Huts. I think there’s enormous potential to further develop connections with the deep African-Jamaican culture of the area including connections with the Maroon, Kumina, Convince and Rastafari traditions that are part of the local scene.

We’ll be back. And we’re telling our friends!

Jake Homiak and Amy Staples

Room Tip: We like the Bamboo tree house with the amazing shell tub and views
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Dr. Paul Rhodes the designer and owner of great huts and his staff have once again provided a wonderful, relaxing, getaway experience bringing their own special brand of hospitality into the blend. From the welcoming smile and charm of the staff at check-in, to the constant attention of breakfast servers (we love ya man), to the professional and friendly dinner staff who will cater as per your need at the royal lounge or in the restaurant at the deck offers travelers to Port Antonio something you just don't get at other resorts, a feeling of being part of the family. This was my second stay at Great huts and I was able to enjoy the luxurious accommodations for a full 5 days and nights at the Bamboo Gardens hut. The suites are the best you'll ever stay in, with an open space listening to the wave sound and breathe of the ocean, attention to detail second to none. Your every need has been anticipated and provided for, and should you require anything additional it is there before you finish asking. We ate dinner at the deck reception area restaurant and found a lot of things to do each evening. The food is prepared with great choices throughout the menu, which changes by the seasons. Since I arrived on Friday I had the opportunity to watch the African Drum and dance which has a historical background. There were several things to do and with a group of other tourists we took a boat ride and enjoyed the winniefred beach and spent time at the French mans cove where they shoot the movie Knight and day by Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz. I spent most of the time day and night at the great huts beach relaxing. I sampled what great huts has to offer by relaxing with Mangal Jot Kaur, who have years of experience in yoga, meditation and relaxation. She has a sweet personality and helped me in breathing techniques. I spent one hour with Dr. Valenti wish it was more and addressed issues with emotions and how to deal with emotional problems within life. My last encounter was with a wonderful massage therapy who made me feel energized, the atmosphere and location was so great listening to the Boston bay wave while having massage. Since my 1st visit a cliff side swimming pool and a boardwalk along the cliff with a lovely sitting area for meditation space has been acquired form the adjacent lot for added attraction. In my opinion there is no better feeling when your away from home then feeling your right at home, and that's the difference which makes great huts the #1 place to stay among the resorts in Port Antonio, Jamaica!

Thanks again to all at Great Huts!
Fessha Mollalign

Room Tip: Try the Bamboo Gardens hut and the African Sunrise.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Was not sure what i had agreed to when my missus said we were staying in a tree hut for four days.We arrived at a bamboo gate from a dirt road with the biggest pot holds the size of craters not knowing whats on the other side, The gate open and we were in a Tropical rainforest like place with moist broadleaf forest, trees, bugs, birds, dogs, fish, turtles and tree huts scattered over a cliff over looking the ocean.We had the Almond Tree House witch was a short walk from reception up the dirt path, up a few wooden steps and we open our bamboo door , inside had all the modern comfort with out AC, windows and walls that was replace with bamboo and boards. Next morning after very little sleep from the noise of bugs and the rain storm in the night we saw the beauty of Great Huts , it grows on you day by day and by day two all was great. The pool (when you find it ) as the best view of the porperty , the food is great and the staff are warm and caring , they will help in all your needs.There is lots to see and do in the area , the best beach in the world is a short taxi ride away called Fishermans cove...If you are a tree hugger this is the place for you:-)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Neat Huts to stay in. Cool setting. Very friendly staff. I you do not like hot weather make sure you go during winter because there is no air conditioning. The manager, Lydney, is a great guy and will work to make sure you are happy during your stay. They have their own little water access area on Boston Bay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Pictures do not show how completely amazing the Great Huts are. This is truly on the best places we have ever stayed. Forget all the mainstream faceless resorts and go here for one of the best experiences of complete relaxation and surrounded by the natural world. The huts are all out of this world. We stayed in the Bamboo Hut which had a view to die for! Waking up to a spectacular view of the Bay and the super cool outdoor bathroom with same view. Wowzee what can you say but magnificent! The whole experience is utterly out of this world. The little details everywhere. Each day you find something new, a new secluded spot to sit and take in the views, a new wood carving in amongst the grass, a new path that leads to yet another magnificent view. We read the reviews of the Great Huts and it sounded just the place to visit to relax. We were flying into Montego Bay so initially the extra drive after flying from Europe seemed like another stretch. Well we can only say that thankfully we did decide to take this extra journey because this place ticked every box and more. The minute you walk through the gate you feel you have just entered and fantasy world. A world that leaves all the stress of every day life behind and you truly learn to experience real relaxation. The staff are amazing and super friendly, the small private beach section is amazing, the views are amazing and the Great Huts world is amazing.
The balance of the accommodation is also perfect. Rustic and natural living in a very stylish and comfortable way amongst a natural setting. You really are part of the natural environment.
Could very easily return here for another relaxing holiday.
Its really nice to see there are places like this in the world where real care and thought to the environment and the natural world are considered and allowed to be shared in such a perfect way. The place is a mini adventure!!! A visual masterpiece. Go see for yourself!
If you prefer bland, meaningless hotels and turn down services then stay at home but if you respect the things that are unique and push the boundaries then this is the place for you.
Great Huts Rocks!

Room Tip: The Bamboo Tree Hut has amazing views!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2013

This is third vivid and I can't get enough! Rooms are designed with nature in mind...if you don't believe me then visit and ask for the Almond tree hut where an almond tree is the canopy for your bed......bathtub overlooks Boston Bay where you'll gaze put a natural stone window...need I say more...simply amazing! Be sure to check put the new snakehead trail....it's great for morning Yoga

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
#23 of 63 in Montego Bay
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
#5 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!