“I can still hear the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks below”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I had the pleasure of spending 4 days with a large group at Great Huts. I think I have to go back to my childhood to remember a time before this that I slept so well. When I close my eyes and think of my time back at Great Huts, I can still hear the sound of the waves crashing on the rocks below. There is something about Great Huts that makes you feel like a kid again. I stayed in the Bamboo Tree House and every morning I would wake up to the fantastic view of the surfing beach nearby. I had visited prior to my stay, so I knew what to expect. I knew it would be a bit more rustic and open. You have to go with that in mind, otherwise I think it would take quite an adjustment. Given the size of our group, we opted for the meal plan which is quite reasonable. The food is delicious and the portion sizes are generous. If you prefer to find lunch and dinner on your own, Great Huts is located in the birthplace of jerk chicken, so there are many options just outside.

Room Tip: I liked that I was able to view the specific hut that I was staying in on the website before my arri...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NatRB

Reviewed 3 April 2014

If you want to try something a little off the beaten track in Jamaica, Great Huts is the place. It felt like living in a tree house and the structure is perfectly suited to the surrounding nature. We watched the sunset while waves were crashing on the cliffs and fireflies were all around us. It is just a very special place that I will never forget. The houses are wonderful and I love the decor, which is crafted by local artists. The staff is kind and helpful. We felt at home immediately. I will recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Iver R
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Great Huts on Jamaica’s northeastern shore is a great alternative to the all-inclusive resorts that dot the likes of Montego Bay, Negril and Ocho Rios. You won’t find a swim-up bar or a need for a color-coded wrist band here; what you will find is authenticity—both to the land and to the African background of the majority of Jamaica’s people.

The resort is located in the lushest part of Jamaica, with natural stone walkways that meander among African-styled huts atop a cliff covered in jungle vegetation that doesn’t stop at the entrance. Oversized outdoor bathrooms with showers affixed to trees and toilets set among leafy plants make this a true rainforest experience. Yet you don’t have to worry about your neighbors peeking in on your bathroom rituals. Bamboo fences provide privacy where the jungle foliage has gaps and curtained entrance doors and shutters provide privacy in the huts themselves.

Dr. Paul Rhodes, the owner and designer of Great Huts, explained that his idea was to incorporate the trees and rocks into the design of the huts so that no two huts (or bathrooms) are alike. What a brilliant and original concept! While each hut is unique in design, all come with Afrocentric furniture, sculptures, mud-cloths and paintings. It’s like sleeping in an art gallery or museum.

My husband and I spent five glorious days at Great Huts. Our accommodations were in the Sea Grape and we couldn’t have been more pleased. We had a lovely private outdoor bathtub perched on the edge of the cliff looking over the sea, a mosquito net that we never used even though the windows were open, and a beautiful seating area with hand-hewn table and chairs that faced the sunrise over the Caribbean Sea.

During our stay we had ample opportunity to tour the grounds and the other huts. The hut known as the Queen of Sheba was, in my opinion, the most extravagant—three floors connected by ladders and a lacy coral cave on the ground floor that was part of the wall between the main room and the bathroom in the outdoor courtyard. A huge window cut in the shape of an elongated Star of David provided one of many links between Judaic and Rasta beliefs. Elsewhere on the grounds, it was enlightening to find many sculptures and paintings that depicted the historical and cultural connections between Africans and Jews. A stay at Great Huts is not only relaxing but educational in a low-key kind of way.

But the highlight of our stay was the electrifying Saturday night cultural show with dancers and singers from Manchioneal performing in the Great Huts dining Room. The night we attended, Dr. Paul proved himself a man of many talents as he sang three opening numbers before introducing the guests at Great Huts to each other. At the end of the show guests were invited to participate in the dancing and did we ever! A special treat was the display of art by some of Jamaica’s most talented sculptors and painters, available for guests to purchase. We love the beaded painting by Mazola wa Mwashighadi, which we bought as a reminder of our great time at Great Huts.

We would like to express our sincere thanks to Dr. Paul Rhodes and his dedicated staff—especially Yannicke, Gordon, Lloyda, Paul and all the servers, bar-tenders and wait-staff—Jingles, who chauffeured us to and from the airport as well as to attractions around Port Antonio, Honey who drove us to Reach Falls (a must see!) and Leonard our intrepid guide at Reach Falls. Additional thanks go to Captain Marley for the boat ride from Port Antonio to Great Huts and Captain Granville for the bamboo raft trip down the Rio Grande. All arrangements for side trips were made for us by the friendly staff of Great Huts. Thank you, all!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mmf741
Reviewed 10 March 2014

If you are looking for a place with gym and other amenities, keep searching. However, you will miss the most authentic experience and one of the most exquisite views of your life. Immediately as you close the entrance gate behind you, you feel like you just entered into a piece of Africa. And you never stop of being amazed and enchanted by every single detail. You will be greeted by either Gordon or Lloyda, fantastic people. The rooms are rustic and rudimentary to bring that African atmosphere, but also very genuine and artistically created. The furniture is amazingly and naturally beautiful in every room. Not one of the same and neither are the rooms. Food is deliciously prepared by fantastic chefs, Lance and Alton. At breakfast you will savor the dish (plenty!) with coconut shell utensils (adorable!). Dinner is served upstairs in a beautifully and originally decorated room - regular utensils this time, don't worry! At the back of the dining room is the bar, where Andre will proudly prepare your drink. He loves his job, let him be creative. On Saturdays there is this fantastic African show by a local dance group. Then, you will just follow the trails for amazing wild views. Sleep with the sound of the waves and the crickets. We will return again to this magical place, no doubt about it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SJS B
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Great Huts is truly a wonderful place ...hidden jewel.
Truly unique place to stay. Our group has been going there for the past 5 years and find the staff and management so helpful and we are grateful for all they do for us.
The new additions to the place are wonderful. It truly is my home away from home.
It is a magical place that helps you relax and the surronding community is wonderful.
I encourage everyone to check this place out if your looking for fun, relaxation and a place that truly is inviting.
Thanks to all the staff that make my stay such a wonderful place

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Amazing setting,around every corner is a hidden chill out spot in the very tropical setting. Friendly and helpful staff. Lovely breakfast and amazing coffee!!! Boston beach is small but nice and Great Huts has its own little stretch of private beach.Lots of geckos but no nasty creepy crawlies to speak of just lovely open huts with awesome outdoor shower (sea grape hut). Vegetarian pizza with pineapple here was yummy. Didn't want to leave....

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thumbtravels
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

The Great huts "is" Jamaica's hidden one of a kind escape, It is full of sculptures which complainant the huts, They certainly fell short of phrase for themselves in their naming of the place. The food is soo tasty,the beaches are a 2min walk,So much to do or just nap and sleep,they have plenty of books to waste your days , Every time I come back to Jamaica this will be my last stop,as this is relaxing ,this is what a holiday is all about.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
#5 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!