My BF and I visited Great Huts last month and had an amazing time. Some of the things I loved best include the amazing view, the staff who made us feel like family, the cooking (both the included breakfasts - with GREAT homemade bread for toast - and Carl's dinners), and the animals (they have 3 dogs there, plus a variety of wild lizards, hermit crabs, birds, etc.). I loved going to sleep and waking up to the sound of the waves and the creatures - it was truly relaxing. It's also helpful that they have internet access (if you really want to check email while you're on vacation).
The ONLY thing I didn't like was the bugs. We had to use a lot of bug spray at night and went through a lot of hydrocortisone for the bites we did get.
As for Port Antonio, we loved exploring there (we rented a car for our trip - be forewarned that driving is tricky there b/c of potholes).
And, I learned to surf while I was there (couldn't move my arms the next day b/c of all the paddling). Got a great massage the next day (they have a woman who either comes to your hut or you can walk to her house just down the road).
All in all, great trip! Would highly recommend it if you want a taste of non-commercial, non-touristy Jamaica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, HostelWorld, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelsClick so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio