I spent a night at the Great Huts in Boston Bay. Not the ubiquitous offering a standardized all inclusive setting that many have come to expect in parts of Jamaica, Great Huts has character, individuality, uniqueness, and the type of accommodation that provides an impression that will always remain with you. The hotel has a number of different huts spaced intermittently along a meandering path by the cliff. These huts are separated by undergrowth with the greenery providing each hut an individual space and privacy. Inside these huts, it is a world out of the African. One feels as if a character in Hemingway’s Snows of Kilimanjaro on a colonial safari. Wooden beds, stone wash basins, African art work all about. My room had a shower that is in a large row boat shaped tub with a nozzle in the center. Being open air the sounds and sights of the sea and shore along the bay serve as a large back drop. I woke up with the eastern sun shining in on my bed with the sound of the surf, birds, and leaves rustled by the breeze greeting my morning. On this Saturday evening there was a dance program where a local school of fine arts provided entertainment showing dances covering African, slave, colonial and the modern periods. The bar tender was extremely polite. He provided information on different types of drinks and noted the changes in tastes and mixing procedures throughout the years. Up the road from Great Huts is an accumulation of Jerk Pork concessions. Be prepared to have a number of shops vying for your patronage by offering samples of their individual culinary creations. A perfect place to stage as a base for visiting the eastern coast of Jamaica, I highly recommend a staying in Great Huts if you want a true Jamaican experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Great Huts: Paradise on the Edge is an oceanfront resort on the lush northeastern tip of Jamaica. Modeled after a traditional West African coastal village, at once both rough-hewn and modern, it is a convergence of nature, heritage, spirituality and technology. Off the beaten path, but not far from the bustle and night life of Boston Bay and Port Antonio, Great Huts' jungle-cliff-beach habitat is a distinctive ecological and cultural experience. The Africana House, a Rastafari Mansion by the Sea with high ceilings and Ethiopian-inspired decor throughout, has a spacious communal room, four regal bedrooms, a 5,000-square-foot rooftop deck and a lotus-shaped deep water pool, resting atop five acres braided with intriguing caves and hiking trails. Great Huts is perfect for the adventurer in all of us, an intimate yet communal getaway or a secluded corporate retreat. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Great Huts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Great Huts Hotel Port Antonio
- Great Huts Jamaica/Port Antonio