Great Huts
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$199
Tropical Lagoon Resort(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$170
US$159
US$292
US$207
Jamaica Palace Hotel(Port Antonio)
US$189
Priceline
The Trident Hotel(Port Antonio)
US$759
Moon San Villa(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$175
Travelocity
Geejam(Port Antonio)
US$727
Hotel Jamaican Colors(Port Antonio)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$89
Travelocity
All reviewsbamboo tree housesea grapehomeless shelterafrican sunrisethe cliffpaul rhodesboston baycultural showafrican artqueen of shebajerk centerunique experienceyoga deckreach fallsone of a kindopen airhermit crabs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 July 2010

I absolutely loved my stay at Great Huts. The staff is very warm and friendly and do an amazing job sharing the jamaican culture with you. Even when they are not on the job they do what they can to help you enjoy your visit, offering to take you surfing or to the best kept secrets and restaurants around town. They genuinely enjoy sharing their island with visitors and are sincere in their service.

The beauty of this resort really cannot be done justice with words, or even pictures for that matter. Most people cannot even conjure up such a beautiful setting in their dreams. Great Huts delivers an authentic small village feel, while still providing all the amenities and luxuries us city-dwellers have come to depend on. The resort is situated on a cliff overlooking a beautiful bay where surfers come to enjoy the waves and has its own private beach and stunning tide pools. There are so many great nooks and crannies with breathtaking views, its overwhelming. At night the stars are amazing.

While it is definitely a journey from the airport being on the other side of the island, its definitely worth the trip. Port Antonio has plenty of shopping and dining options to offer, and as a smaller town, is much safer than Kingston. The resort is also very private and secluded, with security on site for added peace of mind.

If you are staying over the weekend, definitely check out the culture show they put on Saturday night. It is very entertaining and does a good job explaining the jamaican culture, its african roots and also the remembrance of the suffering of slavery.

Overall a great resort and an amazing value that I would recommend to anyone visiting jamaica

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2010

We had a fantastic time at Great Huts! My Husband and I had our wedding and honeymoon at Great Huts, and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful and intimate atmosphere for our special time. The staff was wonderful, down to earth and attended to my every need in a very laid back manner. It was like we were staying with friends and family. If you enjoy experiencing the natural beauty of an area, and like to create your own adventure without the stuff atmosphere of a fancy hotel, Then Great Huts is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shawnta_10
Reviewed 28 May 2010

My husband and I had been to Jamaica once before, and I was not entirely excited about a return trip. We had stayed in an enormous all-inclusive out in the middle of no where last time, and I found that it was quite boring and expensive. We no longer enjoy hanging out with 21 year olds looking to get drunk and party all night.
Great Huts sounded like a perfect opportunity to experience the real Jamaica and have
an exciting adventure. From the moment we arrived until the morning we left, the place
never disappointed. Every staff member is friendly and more than helpful, the food is fantastic (not always easy for a vegetarian to say), and our treehut was cozy and peacful.
We stayed in Almond Tree which was close to the reception and dining area and very close to the beach. It was always clean and comfortable. There were some mosquitos but we weren't inundated with them. As long as you take bug repellent and use the netting provided, you shouldn't have any problems.
The beach was extremely nice. There are different pool areas to sit in and watch the little fish, and the bay is really nice to swim in. Most definitely take water shoes if you plan on swimming. The resort is built on volcanic rock so it is sharp, plus the sea urchin needles can get you. On occasion, there are some vendors trying to sell items but they don't pressure you too much. Surf instructors try to get you out for some lessons, but a simple "no thanks" keeps them at bay.
Any trips we wanted to take, Tanika or Suzette helped us plan. They will arrange for a taxi to take you to Reach Falls. Reach Falls is well worth a visit. It's about $30 round trip for taxi (2people) and $10 per person for a guide to take you through the falls. Also, take sturdy water shoes for the hike and swim here.
We strongly suggest taking a tour with Arlene. The managers can set you up with any excursion with her. We left at 10 am for a hike into the Blue Mountains, visited the James
Dennis coffee farm, went into the cool Spanish river & falls, and visited the Maroon village Charles Town. It was so exciting and fun! Just a note, if you're not used to long winding roads or prone to car sickness, take some Dramamine! The cost of the trip, which includes lunch or dinner, is about $150/couple or $13,200 JMD. We didn't return until 6pm.
Port Antonio is a bustling little city. The market was very interesting and is probably the cheapest place to find hand carved art and other souvenirs. Just beware of all the people that swarm up to you. It's intimidating at first. The marina is very nice to visit. We had drinks at Norma's which was nice and peaceful. Their lunch and dinner menu looked fantastic and fairly priced. The best way to get around is the Route Taxi buses with red plates. Fares should be around $120 JMD/person, but on the way back we had people fighting over us, so it only cost $90-100.
We skipped Frenchman's Cove and Blue Lagoon and chose to go to the local public beach, Winnifred beach. It's a bit of a hike down to it, but well worth it. Hardly anyone was there and it was beautiful. The locals take care of it, so they just ask for a small donation or buy something from one of the food/drink vendors to help them keep it clean.
We strongly suggest that everyone try Great Huts. It is such a beautiful and relaxing place to visit. Our goal is to return at least once a year and bring many friends and family with us!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank disorientedlabrat
Reviewed 26 May 2010

So the three single girls I was staying with were all concerned that we were making a huge mistake in staying here because the area wasn't very touristy and we just didn't know what to expect. Even our Jamaican driver thought we were nuts to stay in "huts". The entrance even made us more concerned to see all of the vendors outside the very nicely fenced in area of the Great Huts, but we were all convinced the second we walked in, this place was special and unique. I could stay at any five star hotel even tonight if I wanted too, but this.....this is a chance of a lifetime! I did my research. There isn't anything quite like this in the states. There is something somewhat similar in Hawaii, but be prepared to spend a fortune. So here are my tips, go! Me and my friends really want to return and stay in one of the more expensive treehouses. Take water shoes with you because the rocks on the beach are fierce, but the beach is super cool with all the things that they have added. Remember it is kind of like artistic and luxurious camping. I am not a camper and my friends definitely aren't either, but it was such a cool experience that it was worth it. Our driver was so shocked at how cool the place was, he wanted to stay too! So if you hate bugs, sand, dirt, animals.....then don't bother. You might just be so annoyed, but for me, this was an experience! Now the bugs weren't horrible, you have misquito nets. This was the one thing that bothered me. I did have a hard time sleeping because I was nervous that bugs would get in and I was hot even though I had a fan, but the beds were really comfortable. I am just a picky sleeper. I didn't care. I was happy to be there. The food was awesome and presented so uniquely. If you go on a Sat night, they have entertainment and that was so fun. AHHHH!!!!! I absolutely love this place!

Also, it is not very far from Reach Falls which is awesome! I would tell you about it, but it is supposed to be for the huts. We also went to Summerset falls, which also has bamboo rafts. That is also so worth the experience. We did not go to the Blue Lagoon or some of the beaches because we spent our time at the huts, their beach and the falls! It was such an adventure. We totally felt like we were on Survivor. There is surfing on Boston Bay and the locals wanted to charge $40 for a lesson. I learned on youtube for free!! HAHA! The locals on the beach had some awesome things for sale. Including ganja. We just said no thanks. They were nice. Anyways....Go to this place!!!

ps- It feels like you are spending the night in Adventure Land at Disney World:-)

pps- I forgot to say that the birds and dogs were a bit loud outside our Tabernacle Tent.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank jennifer535
Reviewed 22 May 2010

When my husband and I fell upon the Great Huts website, it was a no brainer. Huts in Jamaica? What a wonderful idea! We visited from May 10-16, 2010. We didn't want to go home!
The pictures of the huts on the website are quite accurate, as are the reviews on TripAdvisor. We stayed in both the Fig Tree House (4 nights) and the SeaGrape Hut (2 nights). The Fig Tree House is enormous with 2 levels; a bed (with mosquito net), dresser drawers and a beautiful view of the sea on the top level. Washroom, microwave/fridge (very useful for leftovers, beers) and bunk beds are on the bottom level. The bathtub/shower overlooks the sea as well. Wait a while for the hot water to kick in. Fig Tree is beautiful and the decor is authentic. The bed was very comfortable. Every night we would fall asleep to the sound of waves crashing and crickets chirping-how soothing!
The SeaGrape was actually our favorite of the two. As you walk in through the curtain, you notice the bed with a net right away. There is a window right above the bed that we would leave open at night to hear the sounds of the sea. We found the bed to be a bit small as it was pushed up against the wall, leaving less room for us to move around. Further down is a BEAUTIFUL dining table made of heavy wood. The washroom is constructed in a green house! I was a bit worried about creepy-craw-lies but there was nothing to be scared of. There was a crab living in our sink but he was harmless. The shower pressure was wonderful, and the water never took long to warm up. The piece de resistance was the outdoor bathtub. Fill it up the moment you arrive and let the sun warm it up all day. At night, take a dip and enjoy the stars and the sound of waves crashing. I can’t even describe how wonderful it was to sit in the cool water under the stars after a long day of hot weather.
We ate breakfast prepared by the staff every morning. The breakfast was delicious and we honestly did not tire of eating eggs every morning for 7 days straight. The papaya and pineapple were scrumptous. Sometimes they would serve salted fish/onions with breakfast-this was a treat!
We ate dinner at Great Huts 4/6 nights. We found everything we ordered to be tasty and prepared with care. The pizza (they would top it with shrimp for us) was our favorite and probably the most filling meal there. The goat curry was tasty, the fish was alright. The pina coladas were delish! Yum!
The staff are wonderful, helpful people. They went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable. We ran into the chef at the market in town and he tried to help us find coffee-that was very nice of him.
Manager Tanika never tired of our questions. She was extremely helpful with all of our questions about tours, taxis, beaches, as were the other staff.
Dr Paul, the owner, also made sure we were well taken care of and often asked if we were alright or if we needed anything. He would often mingle with guests and sit with us at breakfast or dinner, chatting with everyone. We appreciated this very much, as it made the atmosphere warm and welcoming. He encouraged us to attend the cultural show on Saturday night in the Great Huts dining room, which we did. No spoilers here but we do encourage you to go, it was not only educational but fun too!
The beach was a bit small but private -there were hardly any people except for guests and a couple of vendors. We found a nice little spot in the water where the waves weren't too rough and just relaxed. The vendors were a little persistent but always very polite. I guess they have to work a little harder to make sales since it’s low season.
There is a jerk center right outside Great Huts. The food is ok but not great. Beware of jewelery vendors, they can be extremely persistent but just be polite and stand your ground.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and hope that Great Huts is around for a very long time. We were comfortable, able to relax, ate well at breakfast and dinnertime and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. A real gem!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple