“Medical Mission Trip to Port Antonio and More”
Review of Great Huts

Great Huts
Ranked #1 of 29 Port Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I travel to Jamaica quite often. I have gone on cruises and various other vacations. I enjoy the rich culture and the gorgeous scenery. Two years ago I went on my first medical mission trip. Imagine my excitement as I found out we would be traveling to one of my favorite vacation destinations. During my time exploring the island between setting up clinics, I came across a great little market called Boston Market. As I kept exploring the area, I came to find Great Huts. I found in Great Huts a hidden gem in the heart of the "real Jamaica."

One year later, I wanted to go back. I wanted to again bring my abilities to help the people of Jamaica and perhaps get a few more apples, which are more like red pears, breadfruit, and most importantly sincere smiles of thanks in return. I started organizing a medical mission trip from the ground up. I immediately thought of the Port Antonio area, Boston Bay and Great Huts. As I researched, I found out that the owner of Great Huts, Dr. Rhodes, happens to be highly involved in the Jamaica community. We began to build a trip. With his help, I was able to lead ten Human Physiology Masters students working towards medical school from Georgetown University to help and serve the Jamaican community. We volunteered for the entirety of our Spring break and spent our time immersing ourselves in the culture and the environment of this unique and wonderful country.

Students striving to become physicians are a highly motivated group with big hearts. With the right opportunity, they were ready to serve humanity now, with their current skill sets. One of those greatest skills, one we all share, is the ability to listen- the ability to care about the stories and experiences of others around them. We went to one of Jamaica’s infirmaries and just listened. We went to the homeless shelter and just listened. There were also health screening checks and the opportunity to round with Dr. Rhodes as well as many, many games of Dominoes; but, ultimately, our greatest service to the Jamaican people was to just go out and be with those otherwise forgotten. We listened to their stories and learn about Jamaican life beyond the beaten path.

Dr. Rhodes and Great Huts made it happen. Great Huts is one of the coolest and most serene places I know in all of Jamaica. Beyond this though, Great Huts is a place where you can go to meet and immerse yourself in the culture and experience what Jamaica is really all about.

• Stayed: April 2010

Reviewed 2 September 2010

Dr. Paul the owner has created a unique experience, which is like no other place I've been to or heard of before. Our stay at Great Huts was so special for so many reasons. The landscape - perched on the top of coral cliffs, overlooking the beautiful caribbean ocean. The rooms - each room is unique with its own name, layout and artwork, carefully position within an authentic village style layout of the Great Huts grounds. All are in the Afro-caribbean village style theme complete with sculptures and woodwork of local Jamaican artisans. The rooms we stayed in (fig tree and bamboo tree) are built in such a way that you feel like you are literally sleeping amongst the trees that overlook the ocean, with all the amenities of a regular housing unit (running water, electricity, hot tub, shower). When I walked in, I kept marveling over the design and how everything worked but at the same time had the most natural and primitive feel to it. The people - unlike in many other places we've stayed, the guests in Great Huts were as much a part of our trip as anything else. We met so many interesting people (lots of do-gooders I might add...Great Huts is linked in with a local shelter and somehow exudes vibes of helping people and the environment that it naturally draws these types of people). The village style physical layout as well as the layout of the common areas are prone to meeting people and sharing experiences. The neighborhood - the place is adjacent to the Boston Jerk Center. You can walk around and feel safe while meeting authentic locals and not just 'staff'. The staff was friendly and helpful, the food was delicious. We had special dietary needs that were catered to perfectly. If you like nature, beautiful places, an off the beaten path kind of place, and you like to get a country's authentic feel (rather than the mega hotel fabricated one) then this is the place for you. Note: Its very clean, comfortable, modernized with great service, but if you are looking for a luxurious & perfectly manicured place, this is not for you. We had gecko's in room and mosquito nets around the beds, no air conditioning - though there are fans...we were pretty comfortable with all of this (again, to us it was that perfect balance between nature and modernity) but some might not be OK with this.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 30 August 2010

As a female solo traveler I was a tad worried, having read recent press, about going to Jamaica independently and I did not want to be locked up in a resort where, once you leave the compound, you'll be harassed by touts. Set my eyes on either Black River or Port Antonio. I came across Great Huts on the www and rang a very helpful Suzette from Great Huts who ensured me it was going to be safe. She was right and I ended up having the best time ever at GH.They picked me up from Kingston Airport, even after my very long flight delays, The staff are fantastic, they go out of their way to accommodate you, they get to know you and know exactly what you need or want and you will get to know them too. They can also arrange trips for you, and hook you up with the most wonderful people from the area (like Arlene). Paul, the owner, is a great person to have met, he too will get out of his way to make sure you have a good time. Even sang a song for me :-). It's a very relaxing, African-Caribbean place, not super luxurious, but comfortable and fun. Some huts have bathrooms half-outdoors, yet no-one can see you, it's wonderful! Oh and they have wifi!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My wife and I spent 4 nights at Great Huts. Dr. Paul has created a special "village" with stunning views, unique tree houses and great staff. Staying here, we felt that we were part of nature. The tree houses are simply amazing. We spent 2 nights in the Fig Tree, which is the nicest of all the "rooms". Very spacious and loaded with cool art. Then we spent 2 nights in the bamboo tree which has a simple bedroom but a great jacuzzi overlooking the beach.

The food is great and the Saturday Night show is a lot of fun! We also got a great massage in our tree house.

The beach is very "natural". I jumped off the rocks into the sea, tried my hand and horseback riding and surfing and we also went scuba diving with Lady G'diva.
Everywhere we went, we met cool people with interesting stories.
We highly recommend staying at Great Huts!.
Back your bags and go! You can thank us later!!!

Joe
NJ, USA

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Great Huts was a remarkable life experience for our family and friends. Scattered on the cliffs overlooking Boston Bay, the huts create an African styled village on the beautiful northeastern Jamaican coast. Dr. Paul Rhodes has created a "real" Jamaican experience.
The views of Boston Bay, the Caribbean, and the mountains were breathtaking. Swimming, surfing and snorkeling were daily activities. Meals were fantastic and the staff was helpful and courteous. Just outside Great Huts is the Boston Jerk Center which provided an additional food choice for the teenagers (4 ages 17-19). Aside from the rustic nature, no a/c or televisions and a few insects, Great Huts gave our group a life changing experience.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Great Huts is a place that we will go to again and again. We've been there twice already, the first time in Feb, 2008, with another couple, and the second time just the two of us in Jan, 2010. Paul is a wonderful host. We 've not had the chance to spend time with his wife. This is a place to go if you're not looking for the Hiltons and the Club Meds but want a simpler type of place -I guess "rustic" might be the term - yet it is clean and comfortable. It's in a part of Jamaica that is not filled with tourists and where one can, if one wants to, go and meet real Jamaican people not just waiters and bartenders and maids. We wouldn't look for any other place to use as a base from which to travel in Jamaica. There's a lovely beach and the food iis great, too. Check out the website.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2010

Wauw really beautiful! We enjoyed our stay at the greats huts. Unfortunately it was a little rainy for a few days. But there's nothing wrong with reading your book in the jacuzzi from the bamboo three house for 4 hours. Nice friendly staff. Great food. Perfect perfect perfect!

Best Regards,

#1 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
Goblin Hill Villas at San San
#5 of 16 in Port Antonio

Been to Great Huts? Share your experiences!